Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,583 members, 7,809,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:39 PM

Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? (9524 Views)

For FG Workers: Delay In Salary Payment Since IPPIS Drama / How To Improve Your Chances For A Raise In The Workplace / How Do I Ask For Increment In Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by RicoBee(m): 6:00pm On Aug 31, 2018
Dear Nairalanders, I really need your candid advice on this. I work in an organisation where the probationary period is 6 months. I have spent a year, yet my appointment has not been confirmed. I still earn the same salary. I discussed with my line manager but nothing tangible came out of it.

Truth is I have been productive ever since I resumed. Without wasting much time, please what is the best approach as regards getting an increase in salary? Should I discuss this with the owner of the company? What are the risks? Kindly advise me as I am in a dilemma. Thank you.

I would be grateful if this can be moved to the front page.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by RicoBee(m): 6:53pm On Aug 31, 2018
Nairalanders, I'll appreciate your comments please.
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Aug 31, 2018
You are not alone bro....

17 Likes

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by KingsCare: 7:44pm On Aug 31, 2018
Lol.
well as for me...i will tender a formal letter to whom it may concern......but worst worst..i will start an online job (maybe 2) to supplement my salary, It helps but i don't know why people are neglecting it. wink wink wink

EVERYDAY SIDE INCOME

https://www.nairaland.com/4707902/everyday-side-income#70789219

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:44pm On Aug 31, 2018
Truth is I have been productive ever since I resumed. 

If your job is damn sure for you as you pointed out and you can be proud of it, and you also know what you are doing.... no shaking at all! You can surely ask for a raise!

But for the type that is known as lazy youth at work and has nothing to contribute , better don't try It!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by StarUp: 7:44pm On Aug 31, 2018
Ask for the raise but be ready to suffer the consequence in case your move backfires... Be rest assured that you are not the only one in this kind of dilemma (many of us are also in it).

4 Likes

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by BruncleZuma: 7:45pm On Aug 31, 2018
No...

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by salbis(m): 7:45pm On Aug 31, 2018
You're not alone in this. Let me also learn.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Aug 31, 2018
grin
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by gideon1971(m): 7:46pm On Aug 31, 2018
Ask and it shall be given

So says d bible

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by SEONaijaExpert: 7:46pm On Aug 31, 2018
Young man, there are two problems here.

1) You've NOT been confirmed
2) You judged yourself as being productive.

The former is a bigger problem, you're still sitting on the edge. You can't make official request that would make sense. I would advise you endure till you're confirmed which obviously will come with a raise.

The latter doesn't make sense. If it was your HR saying this about you then it does. Only your employer can say how productive you're forget the results you might be getting for now.

In summary, don't let your 'gragra' spoil things for you except you have another offer somewhere.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by luckshine007: 7:47pm On Aug 31, 2018
RicoBee:
Dear Nairalanders, I really need your candid advice on this. I work in an organisation where the probationary period is 6 months. I have spent a year, yet my appointment has not been confirmed. I still earn the same salary. I discussed with my line manager but nothing tangible came out of it.

Truth is I have been productive ever since I resumed. Without wasting much time, please what is the best approach as regards getting an increase in salary? Should I discuss this with the owner of the company? What are the risks? Kindly advise me as I am in a dilemma. Thank you.

I'm also in the same condition as you
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by salbis(m): 7:47pm On Aug 31, 2018
RicoBee:
Nairalanders, I'll appreciate your comments please.
Mr. advice seeker, you are greedy. You posted and commented first.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by Benekruku(m): 7:47pm On Aug 31, 2018
Depends on the nationality of your employer.

Trust me I know what am saying.

Try with Indian, Pakistan, Lebanese, China and Korea, just know that have started sourcing for a replacement once you ask.

Europeans are Muah!

Americans love when you work to earn it.

Africans never want to see you grow. They will promise to work on it till you retire from position at 70years old

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by StPete: 7:48pm On Aug 31, 2018
What are you afraid of? Go ahead and ask by all means or keep dying in silence. Since you have direct access to the owner of the company, do not hesitate but go directly to him and ask
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Aug 31, 2018
post=70789192:

If your job is damn sure for you as you pointed out and you can be proud of it, and you also know what you are doing.... no shaking at all! You can surely ask for a raise!

But for the type that is known as lazy youth at work and has nothing to contribute , better don't try It!

Guy, get a life. Get something productive doing with your time. Except na plenty people dey use this una acct post but if na one person, then, u have to sit down and think about ur life. There is nothing impressive about this, it's just ridiculous. U really seem like one jobless nonentity. Show some levels, get busy and make yourself scarce. You becoming too cheap.

18 Likes

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by Fundamentalist: 7:50pm On Aug 31, 2018
Where u given an appointment letter or verbal appointment ? If its the later don't bother , you are not alone.

Jobs are hard to come by these days even the slavery ones , just hold on to it , till u get a better offer .

Entrepreneurship remains the best

3 Likes

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by rayobaba(m): 7:54pm On Aug 31, 2018
Is there any clause in Ur employment letter dt ur pay will be reviewed upward after confirmation. If yes, they might not confirm you quickly to avoid increase pay. So, talk abt Ur confirmation and not pay increase. If you see them not confirming u at d long run, look outside then. I mean look for another employment

3 Likes

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by Airforce1(m): 7:55pm On Aug 31, 2018
You're not even up to a year in the job and you're already asking for a pay rise.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by boolet: 7:57pm On Aug 31, 2018
SEONaijaExpert:
Young man, there are two problems here.

1) You've NOT been confirmed
2) You judged yourself as being productive.

The former is a bigger problem, you're still sitting on the edge. You can't make official request that would make sense. I would advise you endure till you're confirmed which obviously will come with a raise.

The latter doesn't make sense. If it was your HR saying this about you then it does. Only your employer can say how productive you're forget the results you might be getting for now.

In summary, don't let your 'gragra' spoil things for you except you have another offer somewhere.
Yes ooo. How does he know he's been productive?
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by Olasco973: 7:59pm On Aug 31, 2018
was it not discussed during the interview? if not, try and observe the environment very if it's an organization that has its own salary structure, I'm scared it won't be easy. but if it's a place where u are been paid base on performance, I will tell u to go ahead. it will have been more easier if you have an agreement base on performance.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by Iaz93: 7:59pm On Aug 31, 2018
StarUp:
Ask for the raise but be ready to suffer the consequence in case your move backfires... Be rest assured that you are not the only one in this kind of dilemma (many of us are also in it).

True! There are so many people in this kind of situation.

Errm, quick one, StarUp. smiley It is rest assured and not be rest assured. Saying 'be rest assured' is like saying 'be sleep assured'. You catch the drift, no?

But to hell with English jare.. No be by that one.

3 Likes

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by thesicilian: 8:00pm On Aug 31, 2018
If you know your worth, you won't be afraid to ask for a raise.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by Adortem: 8:06pm On Aug 31, 2018
RicoBee:

Ask the main decision maker verbally.
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by NoLotty7(m): 8:07pm On Aug 31, 2018
Be patient man, It will surprise you soon that your salary will be double during your confirmation to full staff.l had similar challenged in 2011 while working with UAC plc with a salary of 13500 ,until after six(6) months before we were confirmed with a new appointment letter with basic salary of 25500 and other bonuses, feeding twice both in night or day shift etc. What you and Co should do now is to fight to be confirm at every meeting you attend after your six months there but be careful not to be the loud speaker among your Co, if not you will be fire after sometime or they make your life miserable with work and frustrate you which Will force you to quit yourself.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Aug 31, 2018
post=70789192:

This Mannabbq man or woman, have you ever worked before

To the post, if your are working in a well structured company, write a formal letter TO THE APPROPRIATE officer(s) (if your direct line manager isnt helping, copy appropriate senior staff) and thank them for the chance given to you to work in their firm and stating to your employer to remind them when you where employed and how long you have worked so far (be diplomatic and tactful in your writeup). Tell them how you have taken the work seriously, gained skills and looking forward to add more value to the company.

At this point, you can't ask for a raise per se. Let them confirm you (most times come with a raise and /or other benefits. I have been in your shoes.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:11pm On Aug 31, 2018
OkaNaUbe:

Have you ever worked before
OkaNaUbe, Ask your 2 uncles from both family sides this question when you see them tomorrow at your family meeting!
Ok bye!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by dollytino4real(f): 8:11pm On Aug 31, 2018
no, but it is a two way tins either u sacked or
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:16pm On Aug 31, 2018
OkaNaUbe:

Have you ever worked before

To the post, if your are working in a well structured company, write a formal letter stating your employer to remind them when you where employed and how long you have worked so far (be diplomatic and tactful in your writeup) while telling them how you have taken the work seriously, gained skills and looking forward to add more value to the company.
Campaign after election.
Guess that uppercut later gave you little sense to post that?!
Very Lifeless tin! wink
Next time, you learn to stay on ya lane.
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by may320: 8:21pm On Aug 31, 2018
@OP, I'll advice you be patient first. Its not automatic to confirm appointment after six months. For some people, it could take up to a year plus before it could be confirmed.
Your employer reserved the right to either confirm, put you on more probational period or even show you the way out.
You are the one that assumed your work is satisfactory but your employer may think otherwise.
Dont let oversabi spoil your chances of retaining your job.
It might even be a way to test your patience or where your loyalty lies.
You need to be humble and work harder to convince your employer that you are up to the task.
Good luck.

3 Likes

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Aug 31, 2018
post=70789979:

Campaign after election.
Guess that uppercut kater gave you little sense to post that?!
Very Lifeless tin! wink
Next time, you learn to stay on ya lane.

Off point! Who is "kater"? Your paymaster is lifeless.

This isn't about politics. Your response to the post is lifeless! If you don't have the faintest idea about a topic, keep off. Don't jump from thread to thread spewing thrash!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:25pm On Aug 31, 2018
OkaNaUbe:

Off point! Who is "kater"? Your paymaster is lifeless.

This isn't about politics. Your response to the post is lifeless! If you don't have the faintest idea on a topic, keep off. Don't jump from thread to thread spewing thrash!
Offpoint!

Our point have been passed across OkaNaUbe, ask your uncles that question in your family meeting tomorrow.
Ok, bye again!

Total and final knockout for OkaNaUbe! wink cheesy

1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Professional Course Available As A Mathematics Graduate / Testimony:opera News Hub Is Scam Don't Fall For It And Be A Creator...see Proof / Police Sack 8 Officers, Discipline 108 In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.