Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,916 members, 7,806,663 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:14 PM

Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US (40641 Views)

Police Wrongly Parade Movie Prop Manager As Criminal In Akwa Ibom (photo) / Man Eats Burnt Body Of A Criminal In Delta State (Graphic Photos) / Boy Treated Like A Criminal In Owerri, For Beating Up His Mom After Smoking Weed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by EmagNig(m): 6:10am On Sep 02, 2018
A man jailed for armed robbery in 1999 is seeking nearly $1million in compensation after police found the real criminal who only has close resemblance with the innocent man.

Metro UK reports that Richard Jones, from Kansas City, was released last year after a judge called into question his original conviction. He had spent 17 years in prison because an eyewitness said he was the robber.

Interestingly, other inmates repeatedly told him he looked like a criminal named Ricky Amos while he was in jail.

Jones lives on the other side of Kansas while his lookalike lived near where the robbery took place. It later turned out there was no DNA or fingerprint evidence linking Jones to the crime.

He has now filed a petition seeking $1million in compensation from the state of Kansas.

His lawyer, Richard Ainsworth, is hoping that he will get a certificate of innocence and be compensated so he could finally move on with his life.

Jones said he missed seeing his 24-year-old and 19-year-old daughters grow up.

He said:

‘It took a big chunk of my life that I can never get back. I am just trying to get stable in my everyday life. I am still transitioning.’

‘At that time, I was pretty much trying to be responsible as a father.

‘I was not perfect, but I was a big part of their lives, and when I got incarcerated, it was hard for me because I was used to being around for my kids.’

‘It was a hard pill to swallow.’

The petition reads:

‘This compensation is relatively small given the unfathomable hardship of 17 years of wrongful imprisonment.’

Mr Jones’ lawyer, Richard Ainsworth, said they were hoping to get a certificate of innocence and for compensation so he could finally move on with his life.

The 42-year-old had previously tried to appeal his case several times but was unsuccessful.

But after hearing about a man who looked just like him, and even had the same first name, he contacted the Midwest Innocent Project, which provides legal services to people who have been wrongly-convicted.

Another lawyer working on Mr Jones’ case said:

‘We were floored by how much they looked alike. Everybody has a doppelgänger, luckily we found his.’

https://lailasnews.com/man-spends-17-years-in-jail-over-resemblance-with-real-criminal/

lalasticlala

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by Oluwaseyi00(m): 6:15am On Sep 02, 2018
May we not be a mistaken identity for crime o

492 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by marsoden: 6:18am On Sep 02, 2018
Jeez! That's some real resemblance.
You need to find out if that guy na your twin. shocked shocked shocked shocked

74 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by Karlovich: 6:19am On Sep 02, 2018
The same way jubrin and the dullardd have been deceiving us

126 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by Shelumiel: 6:21am On Sep 02, 2018
This is a real doppelganger

9 Likes

Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by Abdul315(m): 6:29am On Sep 02, 2018
:othey have stolen what they can't give back

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by backnbeta(f): 6:29am On Sep 02, 2018
17 whole years behind bar, just like that? He is lucky he lives in a country where he can get some compensation undecided

I hope he makes something out if life!

62 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by Elukapendragon(m): 6:29am On Sep 02, 2018
Na to pay am na.... They should pay him for every night spent there....

13 Likes

Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by koolaid87: 6:42am On Sep 02, 2018
Even though they can't give all that have been taking away from him, a huge compensation will do
Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by Jamesrock(m): 6:53am On Sep 02, 2018
Same applies in so many Nigerian prison and funny enough, there is no advancement like DNA or what have u to help discover the truth... May God help the Innocent souls dying in Nigerian prisons

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by dingbang(m): 6:58am On Sep 02, 2018
Chai

Meanwhile esteemed first bank customers, y'all can now perform amazing transactions on the first mobile app such as getting soft loans through the app. Click the link on my signature to register and bank your way.

You first
Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by GistersNG: 7:09am On Sep 02, 2018
cool
Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by Ehiscotch(m): 7:24am On Sep 02, 2018
How can you just sentence a man on facial resemblance alone?

I mean, if it were in Nigeria or Africa I would understand but in a technologically advanced and rule of law abiding country like the USA to put aside evidences like Finger prints, DNA and stuff knowing they could be convicting an innocent man?

They should compensate the man and his children each with $1 million. You threw away a man's life for your incompetence and oversight.

44 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by Blackfire(m): 7:59am On Sep 02, 2018
Just one decision or incidence...

Could make or Mar your life.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by Ehiscotch(m): 8:29am On Sep 02, 2018
the Midwest Innocent Project, which provides legal services to people who have been wrongly-convicted.

These people have helped save innocent lives and put smiles on families' faces. God bless them. They deserves all the accolades. But if they come Naija, them go dey overworked sha!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by MartinCorridon: 11:39am On Sep 02, 2018
I am so sorry for the man.

For once, i can see the advantage of tribal marks....

Except the writer of the marks has a bad handwriting, you can't be mistaken for another person grin

32 Likes

Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by papalsbuIl: 11:43am On Sep 02, 2018
[s]
MartinCorridon:
I am so sorry for the man.

For once, i can see the advantage of tribal marks....

Except the writer of the marks has a bad handwriting, you can't be mistaken for another person grin
[/s]
trash trash trash

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by MartinCorridon: 11:52am On Sep 02, 2018
papalsbuIl:
[s][/s]
trash trash trash

Notice how suicidal you have become when i ignore you. I don't respond to most of your posts.

IsaAbubakar with your 50 other monikers...get a job, see a shrink!

7 Likes

Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by papalsbuIl: 11:58am On Sep 02, 2018
[s]
MartinCorridon:

Notice how suicidal you have become when i ignore you. I don't respond to most of your posts.

IsaAbubakar with your 50 other monikers...get a job, see a shrink!
[/s]
Nonsense trash

3 Likes

Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by joseo: 2:43pm On Sep 02, 2018
17 whole years waste of life

1 Like

Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by celestialAgent(m): 5:53pm On Sep 02, 2018
Dude is surely getting some nice compensation...

1 Like

Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:54pm On Sep 02, 2018
It is really sad. The thing is that we all have our doubles (doppelgangers) in this world.
Research and Google facts affirms that we all have at least 6 people that look like us on planet Earth and the chances of us crossing paths with any of them is placed at about 9%.

Sadly, this innocent fella got busted for the crime committed by just one of his other 6 or more look-alikes meaning there are at least five more wandering around.

Life is full of shockers ladies and gentlemen. Sometimes, being at the right place at the right time can save you a whole lot of trouble but again you can be at the right place and at the right time and..... Ah well... That is part of why THIS IS LIFE. It comes with the mysteries and more.

And no amount of money will make up for the 17 years he lost staying in jail and missing out on his daughters' upbringing. Even if he is given A billion dollars, it will be hard to make up for the lost years of close contact with his family. Money is only compensatory but not the antidote to the challenges that lie ahead for him getting back into his girls' lives and more...

It is quite thought-provoking.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by MENTORCH(m): 5:54pm On Sep 02, 2018
The left ear is different.

2 Likes

Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by obafemee80(m): 5:54pm On Sep 02, 2018
Undeserved Punishment sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by lordraiden(m): 5:55pm On Sep 02, 2018
I think say na for only 9ja this shît they hppn didn’t know they have borrowed it also

How will you just waste 17yrs of a mans life like that
Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by lastempero: 5:55pm On Sep 02, 2018
One million dollars only, bro wise up shocked 17 years is different from 17 days.

13 Likes

Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by Realname: 5:55pm On Sep 02, 2018
In Nigeria you will not in prison for life

No thanks to the useless dirty lazy incompetent deceitful lifeless Buhari

7 Likes

Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by kollinz1234(m): 5:56pm On Sep 02, 2018
All these village people that will not allow somebody to peacefully fulfill his destiny. Thought they were only in AFRIKA

ItzKOLLINZ1234

1 Like

Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by kennypoju04: 5:57pm On Sep 02, 2018
Ori mi GBE mi ko re ma ko ibi
Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by tstx(m): 5:59pm On Sep 02, 2018
kai
Re: Man Spends 17 Years In Jail Over Resemblance With Real Criminal In US by kidman96(m): 6:01pm On Sep 02, 2018
Can only happen to a black man in the U.S

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

This Man Was Caught On CCTV Stealing Laptop From An Office In Abuja / Nigerien Man Who Climbed Plane About To Take Off, Deported By Nigerian Govt / Cultist Attacks Police Officers With Axe In Abuja (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.