Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,375 members, 7,808,309 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:11 AM

Is This Benin City? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is This Benin City? (31369 Views)

Flood At Ugbowo Lagos Road In Benin City Edo State / King's Square,Benin City / Hotels In Benin City (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This Benin City? by Ehoi: 4:56pm On Jun 29, 2010

Re: Is This Benin City? by Gekko(m): 5:04pm On Jun 29, 2010
noice, u got more pics?
Re: Is This Benin City? by Ehoi: 5:11pm On Jun 29, 2010
Someone showed me these pictures and said its benin city but i don't yet believe until i get a confirmation from people currenly living there. No i don't have more pictures.
Re: Is This Benin City? by tpiah: 7:19pm On Jun 29, 2010
are there a lot of bini people living in canada, because i think i've seen this exact same type of fountain in toronto.

how did the design land in benin?
Re: Is This Benin City? by kokoye(m): 7:35pm On Jun 29, 2010
^^^ what's wrong with the benin govt getting the same architect or builder . . is there any crime in that?
Re: Is This Benin City? by redsun(m): 7:44pm On Jun 29, 2010
It might be benin because the only lights on are just the street lights and fountain light,the houses on the background are in total darkness.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Benin City? by redsun(m): 7:48pm On Jun 29, 2010
A typical case of nigerian urban development,cosmetics.
Re: Is This Benin City? by tpiah: 11:29pm On Jun 29, 2010
kokoye:

^^^ what's wrong with the benin govt getting the same architect or builder . . is there any crime in that?

you may want to cry louder than the bereaved sha!

typical lipsrsealed

are you from benin?

or would you like to explain what offends you about my question.

abeg try not to wreck the thread unless you absolutely feel you have no other choice!
Re: Is This Benin City? by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jun 29, 2010
what in my own Benin?

Wow never seen this. Really nice. cheesy
Re: Is This Benin City? by Eddeux(m): 12:17am On Jun 30, 2010
Really nice pictures, it looks like a developed city in the dark  grin

Though you gotta wonder how safe it is to venture into the dark areas.
Re: Is This Benin City? by Afanna1: 5:34pm On Jun 30, 2010
i saw pics on nigeria blog on facebook.

Re: Is This Benin City? by Afanna1: 5:35pm On Jun 30, 2010
look kind of fake.lol

Re: Is This Benin City? by Afanna1: 5:35pm On Jun 30, 2010
#Afanna:

look kind of fake.lol

Re: Is This Benin City? by Afanna1: 5:37pm On Jun 30, 2010
undecided

Re: Is This Benin City? by Afanna1: 5:39pm On Jun 30, 2010

Re: Is This Benin City? by chiozor: 6:04pm On Jun 30, 2010
Somebody should please post more pictures of Benin for us
Re: Is This Benin City? by PapaBrowne(m): 11:23pm On Jun 30, 2010
Niiice! This is great. Benin City has one of the greatest potentials in the country. All the factors responsible for development are already existent. The governor just has to provide the right environment and investments especially from Benin's in Diaspora would start flowing in droves.
Re: Is This Benin City? by GAR3TH(m): 3:43am On Jul 01, 2010
Its Called benin King Square popularly known as Ring Road

read more below

It would be cool if benin built more fountains and statutes and use them as a theme for the city.
Re: Is This Benin City? by GAR3TH(m): 3:45am On Jul 01, 2010
[size=16pt]Benin and its glittering water fountain[/size]

THE renewed Benin King Square in the Edo State capital, popularly known as Ring Road, has been demystified.
It used to be the stinky popular commercial hub of the ancient city. But today, it glitters like gold at night. Besides the intimidating illumination, the square in the city centre now has a water fountain, courtesy of the Edo State Government.

The Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Media, Mr John Mayaki, justified the renewed efforts to lift the square, which was home to questionable characters in the years past, from its squalid state.

He said: “There are no monsters hiding in there again. Our inability - even refusal - to do anything about it all these years was the monster.

Having promised to spare no efforts to enhance the socio-economic wellbeing of the people of the state, Edo State Governor, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole, who on inspection of the ongoing construction of the musical water fountain at the museum ground, expressed delight with the level of work so far executed. The light has been switched on to the admiration of the public.

“This is part of government's commitment to enhance the aesthetic condition of Benin City and other parts of the state. It is similar to those in Europe. It is the first of its kind in the West African sub-region. Water from the fountain rises as high as 100 metres. It is not only laden with musical sound, but would emit different colours.”

Before now, Ring Road was a paradox and a nemesis all to Benin. Although more or less a melting point that had provided over decades sundry materials for the visual arts.

The square was the place with no bedtime, and, therefore, no time for waking. It used to be one bedlam of confusion before Oshiomhole came into office. It was also characterised by filth and almost everything indecent under the earth.

Traders, motorists, pickpockets, rapists, street urchins, the homeless and other characters were always there with different missions.

It was never a question of Benin trying to accommodate Ring Road but of the all-important road accommodating Benin.

Before the present transformation, while traders hustled to sell their wares, motorists sweat profusely inside their vehicles in the usual traffic gridlock, occasioned by the lawless tuke-tuke bus drivers picking passengers in the middle of the road, the street hawkers thrust their wares at passers-by, all created a confused atmosphere.

But Oshiomhole did vindicate himself in no uncertain terms, when he began his sanitisation programme in the Ring Road area with a final and definitive stroke that left no one in doubt of his seriousness.

Firstly, to bring sanity to Ring Road and get rid of its notoriety, the demolition squad of the state government swooped on the area and at the end of the operation, kiosks, shanties and other illegal structures were knocked down. This gave the road a new lease of life.

In the place of crime-infested area, a new-look Ring Road sprang up, making many people who had sworn never to have anything to do with it eat their words.

Today, most people passing through or having to transact business on the road and at the square, either in the day time or at night, have refreshing stories to tell.

Today, while Ring Road is illuminated at night and the square flaunts its fountain, street lights dot the entire stretch of the adjoining streets, such as Oba Market Road down to Ekenwan Road, Sokponba Road and Akpakpava Road, among others.

Besides, major work is ongoing on Airport Road and Sapele Road and those transiting from Ring Road to these adjoining roads are having smooth rides.

Even as the crowd surges in different directions, in seamless motion, no one is looking at the other person with suspicion in the night again.

Mayaki added: “The state government would never have succeeded in this feat, if the ordinary people had not supported and given their voices to it.

“The first lesson to be learnt, of course, is that most people want good lives, and the majority will always stay behind a government that delivers the better life they seek.

“This public approval, therefore, provides the moral courage the leader needs to execute his plans. Without courage, of course, the evil and corrupt institutions that have held our nation bound in poverty and chaos cannot be felled.

“The second has to do with consistency, which is the major factor by which a leader acquires the trust of the led.

“The Oshiomhole-led government is merely pursuing welfare programmes, rehabilitation and reinstitution projects with as much tenacity as it pursues improvements in the landscape and structural frameworks of Benin City and that is where its greenery project comes in and the water fountain inside the Museum.”

Oshiomhole was reported to have told the large crowd of admirers who thronged the King Square to catch a glimpse of the water fountain, radiating beautiful colours, of the need to give the necessary assistance to the government in the transformation of the state.

http://www.compassnewspaper.com/NG/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62223:benin-and-its-glittering-water-fountain-&catid=42:commune&Itemid=796
Re: Is This Benin City? by GAR3TH(m): 3:57am On Jul 01, 2010
Re: Is This Benin City? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jul 01, 2010
If this is benin its really nice,i hope the Gov keeps up the good wrks.
Re: Is This Benin City? by binaflexia: 5:42pm On Jul 01, 2010
This is the only beautiful place.

I hope he is going to beautify more locations and community.
Re: Is This Benin City? by Adonike(m): 5:57pm On Jul 01, 2010
I AM VERY SURE THAT NIGERIA WILL SURELY REGAIN HER PRIDE OF PLACE IN THE WORLD cheesy UP NIGERIA!!!
Re: Is This Benin City? by hackney(m): 6:36pm On Jul 01, 2010
Why is he showing the same junction from different angles?
Wayo blood.

RTFLMAO!!!

Infact nairaland is actually bigger than i first thought.
People from all walks of life push all kinds of agenda here.
Re: Is This Benin City? by yme1(f): 6:48pm On Jul 01, 2010
wetin them do for ring road shocked shocked
looks classic to me, one and a half year is really a long time cheesy
Re: Is This Benin City? by Afanna1: 9:43pm On Jul 01, 2010
see osho lo face grin

Re: Is This Benin City? by Afanna1: 9:55pm On Jul 01, 2010
is oshomole a bini man?why are bini people so controversial.

Re: Is This Benin City? by snowdrops(m): 10:17pm On Jul 01, 2010
i am sure that after the millions of hungry and jobless people in edo state have sat and watched this spectacle at ring road, their stomach will be full and maybe their job will be to sit and look ring road everyday.

good job by the government but wrong timing.
Re: Is This Benin City? by blackspade(m): 2:47am On Jul 02, 2010
One thing that really bothers me about development in Nigeria is that very little attention is given to drainage systems. Why??
Re: Is This Benin City? by sayso: 11:30am On Jul 02, 2010
Politician whether good intentions or not,grass root development and jobs are the basic issues stop masquerading water fountains as a development project.

1 Like

Re: Is This Benin City? by Ranoscky(m): 11:40am On Jul 02, 2010
Na dem sabi.
Re: Is This Benin City? by saintchux(m): 11:45am On Jul 02, 2010
snowdrops:

i am sure that after the millions of hungry and jobless people in edo state have sat and watched this spectacle at ring road, their stomach will be full and maybe their job will be to sit and look ring road everyday.

good job by the government but wrong timing.

Should we use the money & buy food for the m & leave the road.
y me:

wetin them do for ring road  shocked shocked
looks classic to me, one and a half year is really a long time cheesy

Is that the only project he has been doing for one and half year.

hackney link=topic=471038.msg6316168#msg6316168 date=1278005783:

Why is he showing the same junction from different angles?
Wayo blood.

Praise him for the one he did 1st. your former broda, what did he do?

[quote author=Adonike link=topic=471038.msg6315963#msg6315963 date=1278003467]
I AM VERY SURE THAT NIGERIA WILL SURELY REGAIN HER PRIDE OF PLACE IN THE WORLD cheesy                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           UP NIGERIA!!!

UP NIGERIA!!!

[/quote]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Pictures Of The Lagos-Abeokuta-Ibadan Railway / FG To Begin Dry Run Ahead Of Domestic Flights Resumption / The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.