Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,710 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:49 PM

A Lawyer's Perspective On Agriculture And Why Youths Need To Embrace Farming. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Lawyer's Perspective On Agriculture And Why Youths Need To Embrace Farming. (899 Views)

Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? / Food Inflation Up By 108% Since 2015, Despite Billions On Agriculture / 5 Reasons Why Youths Should Choose Agriculture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Lawyer's Perspective On Agriculture And Why Youths Need To Embrace Farming. by Yommiefish(m): 8:59am On Sep 03, 2018
The fact that food is the 3rd Most important thing for human sustainability just next after Air and Water should tell you something.

It should also go without Saying that any venture that involves feeding, If done Properly is in itself a Goldmine even though there is more to Agribusiness than just feeding.

Agribusiness is an amalgam of the entire Opportunities that Agriculture itself provides, some of which are gainful Employment, Wealth Creation, Economic Development to mention but a few.

There is a Yoruba adage that says If hunger is taken out of Poverty then Poverty has reduced 'by a measure' ( t'ebi ba kuro ninu ise , ise buse).

Hunger is felt by Slaves and Hunger is felt by Kings alike yet there is ONLY one Solution to hunger and that is FOOD irrespective of the 'Quality'. Hunger fears no race.

Why We should Worry.

RECENTLY, and trust me I am ashamed to say this but facts are Sacred. Few months ago, Nigeria broke a World Record for the wrong reasons.
How could we be the Africa's Largest Economy and be the World Poverty Headquarters at the same time..?
The implication of this simply is, Nigeria has the Highest Number of Extremely Poor People. (Brooklings Book of Poverty). Pause and #Think again.

INDIA with a Population of about 1.3 billion people and a Crazy growth rate (could even be excused) used to Hold that Record but they worked their way to relinquish the Position to Nigeria.

Just few years ago, India was tantamount to Extreme Poverty with all its Splendors, Imagine what a Government would Consciously do to overcome that.
With our Population and Supposed abundant Natural Resources, we have no Business taking the Crown as the Global Poverty Headquarters BUT, We can overcome this. Nigeria can thrive, Africa will thrive and can become the toast of world at Large BUT WE NEED TO TAKE DECISIVE STEPS AND MAKE CONSCIOUS EFFORTS AT THAT.

If more Nigerians are Poor, it means More Nigerians are Hungry. When a man is hungry, the only thing he thinks about is WHAT TO EAT. So many Nigerians are not only looking for what to eat but don't even have the means to eat.

Datas Don't Lie:

- The Brooklings Institution Report reflected that 87million people in Nigeria Live in EXTREME poverty (emphasis on EXTREME) which further suggests that about 6 people fall below the Poverty line every minute. ARE WE JUST GOING TO SIT DOWN AND ASSUME NOTHING IS AT STAKE IN NIGERIA, should we continue to Play the Ostrich..?

In case you have forgotten, hundreds of thousands of Youth Corpers leave Service EVERY YEAR in different Streams. With Practically No Employment Opportunities for them. If Nobody has Plans for You shouldn't you have one for yourself...?

- The National Bureau of Statistics has it that over 100 million Nigerians live below the global Poverty line.

- Africa's Development Bank says 80% of Nigerians live below Poverty line meaning about 150 million people now live below the Poverty line (if you consider some in this context to be EXTREMELY POOR AND THE REST POOR for those that might still be consoled with my distinction).

The Nigeria Government of course have made several comments about some Of the Poverty allegations above especially on the Brooklings' but has in reality made any strong contests to denial these Fact.

ONE THING IS CERTAIN, and I have attempted to Portray it Mildly. THERE IS POVERTY IN NIGERIA, YES! It is a Shame AND YES WE CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

It should be more Worrisome that even in the Urban Nigeria, many do not Know where their Next meal will come from. It MEANS WE HAVE A SERIOUS HUNGER SITUATION IN NIGERIA and the earlier we address The HUNGER situation, the Saner and Better we would all become.

So Why Are More Nigerians/Africans not into Agriculture/Agribusiness. We could Excuse this to so many things some of which are Lack of Education/Information, Lack of Foresight, Laziness, but the top for me is Nigerians and Africans are viewing Agriculture from a myopic perspective (with all due respect), we need to change and Push the right narratives on Agriculture, we need to think More of Agribusiness to Solve Individual Problems, Wealth Creation and to turn the Economy Around. WE CAN DO IT.
IF we will attain that Glorious future as Nigerians and Africans with hopes of turning our lives around positively, we must Redirect our Energies to form a Synergy towards agriculture.

The Above is the Nigerian Reality, Let Us Accept it but not stop at just accepting it. Let Us Believe also that there is a Possibility which is more rewarding than this Present reality. We Must look forward to that Possibility and take deliberate Steps towards a better Future.

Stay Tuned, To Be Continued.....

Oyebode Michael K.
LegalFarmer
Agribusiness Management Consultant

https://catfishplus./2018/09/03/a-lawyers-perspective-on-why-youths-need-to-embrace-agriculture-in-nigeria/

Re: A Lawyer's Perspective On Agriculture And Why Youths Need To Embrace Farming. by abdullkabar(m): 12:04pm On Sep 03, 2018
Let's not also forget the fact that many young Nigerians who are willing to go into agriculture are also limited/handicapped by finance
I dint read the article,its too long

1 Like

Re: A Lawyer's Perspective On Agriculture And Why Youths Need To Embrace Farming. by Yommiefish(m): 3:17pm On Sep 04, 2018
abdullkabar:
Let's not also forget the fact that many young Nigerians who are willing to go into agriculture are also limited/handicapped by finance
I dint read the article,its too long
But you need to read it
Re: A Lawyer's Perspective On Agriculture And Why Youths Need To Embrace Farming. by Edlesainteee(m): 11:34pm On Sep 04, 2018
I need help ,If I have about 50 acres of farmland ,what crop do you think I should start with that wouldn't need much machinery and also be labour effective
Yommiefish:
But you need to read it
Re: A Lawyer's Perspective On Agriculture And Why Youths Need To Embrace Farming. by anoda(m): 11:52pm On Sep 04, 2018
What mechanise farm tool can someone get for 50K or less

1 Like

Re: A Lawyer's Perspective On Agriculture And Why Youths Need To Embrace Farming. by abdullkabar(m): 1:25pm On Sep 06, 2018
Edlesainteee:
I need help ,If I have about 50 acres of farmland ,what crop do you think I should start with that wouldn't need much machinery and also be labour effective
50 acres is too much for you to plant on practically,only if you can spend the money,but it will probably be too costly..I will suggest starting from a lower acres used,may be 5 and see how it goes,then you can proceed
Imaging having failure or somthing on a 50 acres
Re: A Lawyer's Perspective On Agriculture And Why Youths Need To Embrace Farming. by abdullkabar(m): 1:29pm On Sep 06, 2018
anoda:
What mechanise farm tool can someone get for 50K or less
I think renting it for what you need it for is beta,have u tot about cost of maintainance
On a second thought,you can get it and rent it out,getting more funds from it but you will still maintain it sha
Re: A Lawyer's Perspective On Agriculture And Why Youths Need To Embrace Farming. by abdullkabar(m): 1:31pm On Sep 06, 2018
Yommiefish:
But you need to read it
I am going to read it now cry
I still ended up quiting in between, but the OP is right
Re: A Lawyer's Perspective On Agriculture And Why Youths Need To Embrace Farming. by Yommiefish(m): 12:08pm On Sep 15, 2018
Edlesainteee:
. Depending on your projected time frame;plantain, palm tree, cocoa are some medium and long term cash crop you could plant. There are however other agribusiness ideas that could fetch you cash with less machinery and so....

(1) (Reply)

Rabbit For Sale,can Be Delivered To You!!! / Solar 4G Camera For Your Farm, Poultry Remote Monitoring / Floating Catfish Feed High Protein Pellets (extruded)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.