Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,183 members, 7,807,596 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:59 PM

South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 (7988 Views)

Germany Slips Into Recession As Inflation, Higher Interest Bite / US Enters Technical Recession After Two Consecutive Negative Growths / South Africa Slips Into Recession (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by Ballmer: 12:38pm On Sep 04, 2018
ugochukwufrenzy:
amen,,and may God rule rule your life d way buhari is ruling Nigeria....cmon,will u shout amen

Amen to that if the only alternative available are the criminals PDP as to offer.

2 Likes

Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by Nobody: 12:39pm On Sep 04, 2018
grin

Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by trillville(m): 12:39pm On Sep 04, 2018
Rebelutionary:
Thank God for this present government because ours will have been worse than Venezuela plus Zimbabwe... Cos we can't imagine a fast spreading bokoharam insurgency and an economy in recession...

Both Venezuela and Zimbabwe have lower percentages of people living in extreme poverty and fewer poor people than Nigeria.

Analogy
The fact that a plane crashes so all news stations talk about the victims does not mean more people die from air crashes than other means like road transport. Road accidents are normal so there is no story to tell. Extreme poverty is normal so it doesn't normally make news, but for the fact that we overtook India to become the world capital.
Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by AngelicBeing: 12:41pm On Sep 04, 2018
KenOne:
PDP and it's supporters will avoid this news. Oh i forgot they are making a defence to put up why South Africa slide into recession.

Here are the defence:

1) Even if South Africa went into recession their country is still better than Nigeria.

2) The recession South Africa went into is different from Nigeria's own. Infact South Africa recession is better.

Oga recession is recession!
cool

1 Like

Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by TheWordist(m): 12:42pm On Sep 04, 2018
dipoolowoo:
By Dipo Olowookere

Reports from South Africa show that the country’s economy, the second largest in Africa, has again dropped into a technical recession.

This was after the nation’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) for the second quarter of 2018 compressed further by 0.7 percent, according to figures released on Tuesday by Stats SA.

This marks two consecutive periods of contraction the country was recording, which therefore equates to a recession.

Business Post reports that in the first quarter of this year, South Africa’s GDP contracted by 2.6 percent.

“Real gross domestic product (measured by production) decreased by 0.7 percent in the second quarter of 2018, following a decrease of 2.6 percent in the first quarter of 2018.

“The largest negative contributors to growth in GDP in the second quarter were agriculture, transport and trade,” the Stats SA said in its report today.

This is the first recession South Africa is entering into since its new leader, Mr Cyril Ramaphosa, took over from Mr Jacob Zuma, who also witnessed an economic recession while in office.

https://www.businesspost.ng/2018/09/04/breaking-south-africa-slips-into-recession-again-q2-gdp-drops-0-7/
Seizing oyinbo land? They are coming for your ass S.A

2 Likes

Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by Neoteny(m): 12:45pm On Sep 04, 2018
Factfinder1:
They will bounce back in less than 2 months but nothing good is going to happen to Nigeria's GDP until the lifeless dullard goes back to daura

Guess you missed the part where it says this is the second quarter of growth retardation.

Yet they'll magically bounce back in less than one quarter

You're igboe, I guess.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by Nobody: 12:58pm On Sep 04, 2018
muykem:
Thank God for giving us Buhari.
May ur life n family be in the same exact way Buhari k has kept Nigeria in the last 3.5 years.
Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by Nobody: 12:58pm On Sep 04, 2018
muykem:
May ur life n family be in the same exact way Buhari k has kept Nigeria in the last 3.5 years.
Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by Nobody: 12:59pm On Sep 04, 2018
Neoteny:

Guess you missed the part where it says this is the second quarter of growth retardation.

You're igboe, I guess.

Buhari is a lifeless zombie coordinator grin
Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by Almaiga: 1:10pm On Sep 04, 2018
This is the much reason why, I always appreciate President Buhari. The magic he did by bringing us out of the recession GEJ brought, is highly commendable.

I will re-vote Buhari in 2019 and I know, majority of Nigerian's will do same.

God bless Buhari,
God bless Osibanjo,
God bless Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by Harrynight(m): 1:41pm On Sep 04, 2018
muykem:

The same buari that send naija to recession and if not osibanjo that brought us out wen buari traveled abroad?

BTW
Before u say Jack Robinson SA will bounce back if na my Country, will take us almost 4yrs and will still not fully recovered
Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by Basseybruce: 1:41pm On Sep 04, 2018
KenOne:
PDP and it's supporters will avoid this news. Oh i forgot they are making a defence to put up why South Africa slide into recession.

Here are the defence:

1) Even if South Africa went into recession their country is still better than Nigeria.

2) The recession South Africa went into is different from Nigeria's own. Infact South Africa recession is better.

LMAO......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by Neoteny(m): 2:21pm On Sep 04, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Buhari is a lifeless zombie coordinator grin

Ah.

The go-to catchphrase of iPod pigs when they've nothing further sensible to say

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by Rebelutionary: 2:28pm On Sep 04, 2018
trillville:

Both Venezuela and Zimbabwe have lower percentages of people living in extreme poverty and fewer poor people than Nigeria.

Analogy
The fact that a plane crashes so all news stations talk about the victims does not mean more people die from air crashes than other means like road transport. Road accidents are normal so there is no story to tell. Extreme poverty is normal so it doesn't normally make news, but for the fact that we overtook India to become the world capital.
Mr. will u dump Nigeria for VenezuelA or Zimbabwe even with our current reality? Statistics are dependent hugely on the TIME surveys were taken...all this Nigeria surpassing India stats that some of u keep harping on without askin critical questions like when did they take their surveys is arguable. If it was conducted at the height of our recession then i am inclined to agree but as it is now despite our unpalatable n sorry state, we cant be as bad india.

We are out of recession n SA is experiencing a second one in a row n u still peddling that stat in our face? haba!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by SeriouslySense(m): 2:36pm On Sep 04, 2018
take it back

1 Like

Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by GSA01: 2:42pm On Sep 04, 2018
This is what most haters of Buhari are failing to understand, Zuma has looter South African to Recession and leaving Rhamaphosa with a dead Economy, Same thing Goodluck Jonathan Did to Buhari Administration.. Thank God BUHARI and his team have been able to bring the nation out, to a recovery stage..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by Horus(m): 2:43pm On Sep 04, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3CZ6Ib2Qd4

Analysis of South Africa's technical recession

1 Like

Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by lloyds(m): 2:43pm On Sep 04, 2018
Black man and corruption. Once you give it to blacks, they will destroy everything. . Check Zimbabwe etc.
Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by trillville(m): 2:44pm On Sep 04, 2018
Rebelutionary:

Mr. will u dump Nigeria for VenezuelA or Zimbabwe even with our current reality? Statistics are dependent hugely on the TIME surveys were taken...all this Nigeria surpassing India stats that some of u keep harping on without askin critical questions like when did they take their surveys is arguable. If it was conducted at the height of our recession then i am inclined to agree but as it is now despite our unpalatable n sorry state, we cant be as bad india.

We are out of recession n SA is experiencing a second one in a row n u still peddling that stat in our face? haba!
If I were born into a family like my family here, of course I would rather be Venezuelan or even Zimbabwean. There are very few countries worse than Nigeria. You can hardly see the sort of poverty you see in our villages in these countries. I understand there are problems everywhere but our case is still a special one.

Do you hear of home grown terrorists in these countries? We have Boko Haram up north, ombaste in the middle belt, IPOB in the east, militants in the Niger Delta and OPC in the SW. Poverty is a curse and Nigeria is the poverty capital of the world.

As for the data, I believe it was revised in June of this year, so it is extremely current.

By the way, I do not feel Buhari is the cause of our poverty. He has done better than the last president, but his best is still not good enough in my opinion.

1 Like

Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by mikron(m): 3:24pm On Sep 04, 2018
Neoteny:

You're igboe, I guess.
she didn't read that part, maybe in her haste to castigate the present govt she skipped that part.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by mikron(m): 3:33pm On Sep 04, 2018
We thank God for baba buhari, the slayer of recession, my vote will still go to him come 2019. South Africa I wish u well, u will come out of this recession as well. God bless Africa

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by Doyin2(m): 4:34pm On Sep 04, 2018
trillville:

Analogy

Absolute trash.

So is zimbabwe or Venezuela economy better than ours?

By virtue of our population,Nigeria has more poor people and rich people in Africa .It is a matter of % of your population.

That does not mean Nigeria as a nation is poorer than Zimbabwe or the rest of the world.

Our GDP remains the highest in Africa.The issue is the highly skewed distribution of wealth.

2 Likes

Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by Hoodbilonia: 4:40pm On Sep 04, 2018
watch as SA boys
go rush come bac naija

1 Like

Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by trillville(m): 5:32pm On Sep 04, 2018
Doyin2:

Absolute trash.

So is zimbabwe or Venezuela economy better than ours?

By virtue of our population,Nigeria has more poor people and rich people in Africa .It is a matter of % of your population.

That does not mean Nigeria as a nation is poorer than Zimbabwe or the rest of the world.

Our GDP remains the highest in Africa.The issue is the highly skewed distribution of wealth.

Your comment is a bit funny. Yes Venezuela and Zimbabwe have better economies than Nigeria because we have a higher percentage of poor people than these countries.

Nigeria has a GDP of about 370 million, while Israel's is 350. Are we richer than Israel? India has a GDP of over 2 trillion. Sweden's GDP is about 500 million. Is India richer than Sweden?

Ethiopia has a population of 102 million and a GDP of only 72 billion, yet 22 of its people are living in extreme poverty whereas 44 percent of our people are living in extreme poverty. Are we richer than Ethiopia?

We have a lot of potential but for about the last 10 years, Nigerians have been getting poorer.

When Obasanjo was president, minimum wage was 7000 naira and the dollar rate was about 120 naira ($58). Today, minimum wage is 18000 and the dollar rate is 360 naira($50). That is our minimum wage is 8 dollars less. Even worse, realise that the USD has been relatively weak for the last 10 years.
Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by TEYA: 6:09pm On Sep 04, 2018
KenOne:

Here are the defence:

See proud ignoramus! Which one is better recession? Mstchew
Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by TEYA: 6:12pm On Sep 04, 2018
Rebelutionary:

Don't be surprise he will! It is their type that will not mind travelling to cambodia to hustle.

1 Like

Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by Cletus77(m): 8:27pm On Sep 04, 2018
GavelSlam:

Clarus.

grin
Let's try this again....
Sharap
Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by Enice(m): 8:51pm On Sep 04, 2018
awelekiti:
. Heard about it. Black factor is stylishly destroying SA economy . Only the facilities their colonialists left behind are what people could point to. The moment Mandela left after promising a single term rule, (unlike buhari who said he'd do only 4 years as widely quoted but now changing his mind and that's the reason mandela would continue to be delebrated or centuries to come) the SA's successive governments have been greeted with one corruption case to another.
Buhari never changed his mind, he was prevailed upon to contest a second term by patriots and progressives because vultures and vampires like Saraki and Atiku were all set to scavenge Nigeria without even leaving behind a carcass like GEJ.
With Buhari still on the block, these vultures have left for the PDP.
Re: South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 by Nobody: 10:44pm On Sep 04, 2018
Enice:
Buhari never changed his mind, he was prevailed upon to contest a second term by patriots and progressives because vultures and vampires like Saraki and Atiku were all set to scavenge Nigeria without even leaving behind a carcass like GEJ.
With Buhari still on the block, these vultures have left for the PDP.
if buhari accepts the nomination by his party, he has changed his mind and so, he cannot be trusted as a leader. Mandela never changed his mind, even when the party faith file were begging him to run for second time he stood by his word. Get that

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mali: ECOWAS Imposes Economic And Political Sanctions After Election Delay / The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA / Iran And Israel: Comparing Military Machines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.