Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,228 members, 7,807,760 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:36 PM

Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? (6006 Views)

Being An Atheist Is It An Excuse To Be Wicked? / Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! / Atheist Is A Depressing Religion. Discuss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by rekinomtla(m): 5:00pm On Sep 10, 2018
budaatum:

So, you hold that "cultural relativism determines societies morals", is incorrect and opposed to reality, right?

I don't think cultural moral relativism describes reality.
Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by budaatum: 6:41pm On Sep 10, 2018
rekinomtla:

I don't think cultural moral relativism describes reality.
What, or who, determines morality then?
Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by rekinomtla(m): 7:52pm On Sep 10, 2018
budaatum:

What, or who, determines morality then?

The creator of the universe.
Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by budaatum: 1:28am On Sep 11, 2018
rekinomtla:

The creator of the universe determines everyones morals?
Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by frank317: 7:12am On Sep 11, 2018
rekinomtla:

Even this answer is funny to u...

Who then determines immorality
Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by rekinomtla(m): 8:11am On Sep 11, 2018
budaatum:

The creator of the universe determines everyones morals?

The creator determines what is right and wrong. Humans are free to do what ever they want.
Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by rekinomtla(m): 8:21am On Sep 11, 2018
frank317:

Even this answer is funny to u...

How is saying the creator determines morality funny? Is saying society determines morality also funny?

Who then determines immorality

The creator.
Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by LordReed(m): 8:46am On Sep 11, 2018
rekinomtla:

The creator determines what is right and wrong. Humans are free to do what ever they want.

So when tells them not kill but then commands them to kill, he's both right and wrong by his own standard?

1 Like

Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by rekinomtla(m): 10:09am On Sep 11, 2018
LordReed:

So when tells them not kill but then commands them to kill, he's both right and wrong by his own standard?

No, but according to atheists here that would make sense. They believe a society determines morality but at the same time the society can be wrong about the very things which it determines is right. Similar to saying a society can be wrong about the very things it determines to be legal or illegal.
Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by budaatum: 10:22am On Sep 11, 2018
rekinomtla:

Do you know that some things that "creators" had determined were right have now been deemed wrong?
Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by LordReed(m): 10:23am On Sep 11, 2018
rekinomtla:

No, but according to atheists here that would make sense. They believe a society determines morality but at the same time the society can be wrong about the very things which it determines is right. Similar to saying a society can be wrong about the very things it determines to be legal or illegal.

But I am asking you about the creator. How is he able to say, don't kill and go kill to the same people at the same time?
Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by rekinomtla(m): 10:50am On Sep 11, 2018
budaatum:

Do you know that some things that "creators" had determined were right have now been deemed wrong?

Like what and "who" deemed them wrong?
Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by rekinomtla(m): 10:54am On Sep 11, 2018
LordReed:

But I am asking you about the creator.

I know, just showing the double standards of atheists.

How is he able to say, don't kill and go kill to the same people at the same time?

He never said don't kill.
Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by budaatum: 11:00am On Sep 11, 2018
rekinomtla:

Like what and "who" deemed them wrong?
Like the right to own slaves, as deemed wrong by just about the entire human race today?
Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by budaatum: 11:03am On Sep 11, 2018
rekinomtla:

Not sure what creator you're talking about, but one of them definitely said, Thou shalt not kill.
Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by LordReed(m): 11:20am On Sep 11, 2018
rekinomtla:

I know, just showing the double standards of atheists.

Huh? I already accept that morality of killing is subjective so what are you on about

Really?

Exodus 20 King James Version (KJV)
20 And God spake all these words, saying,

2 I am the Lord thy God, ....

13 Thou shalt not kill.
Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by rekinomtla(m): 11:41am On Sep 11, 2018
budaatum:

Like the right to own slaves, as deemed wrong by just about the entire human race today?

Slavery of the OT differs from modern slavery.

But you say slavery is wrong because most people believe it is. What if most people believed it was right, would that make it moral?
Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by rekinomtla(m): 12:02pm On Sep 11, 2018
LordReed:

Huh? I already accept that morality of killing is subjective so what are you on about

Not speaking about you. I'm referring specifically to atheists who say society determines morality aka cultural moral relativism.

Really?

Exodus 20 King James Version (KJV)
20 And God spake all these words, saying,

2 I am the Lord thy God, ....

13 Thou shalt not kill.

budaatum:

Not sure what creator you're talking about, but one of them definitely said, Thou shalt not kill.

That commandment refers to murder, the unlawful killing of another human being.
Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by budaatum: 12:03pm On Sep 11, 2018
rekinomtla:

[s]Slavery of the OT differs from modern slavery. [/s]

But you say slavery is wrong because most people believe it is. What if most people believed it was right, would that make it moral?
I do not say "slavery is wrong because most people believe it is"! Please give me some credit for having a brain and being able to use it! I live in a period whereby I am privileged to have the history of past behaviour laid before me, or have you not read Kunta Kinte or visited the museum at Badagry?

Most people doing a thing is obviously not a reason for doing so myself, as you would know if you but thought a little. Most people believe in the existence of creators for instance, but I happen to know they talking through their asses. I sure as hell don't just, because everyone believes things, believe too now, do I.

Slavery is seen as immoral and ethical by me and most people, and we will fight those who don't even if I were in the minority.
Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by rekinomtla(m): 12:07pm On Sep 11, 2018
budaatum:

I do not say "slavery is wrong because most people believe it is"! Please give me some credit for having a brain and being able to use it! I live in a period whereby I am privileged to have the history of past behaviour laid before me, or have you not read Kunta Kinte or visited the museum at Badagry?

Most people doing a thing is obviously not a reason for doing so myself, as you would know if you but thought a little. Most people believe in the existence of creators for instance, but I happen to know they talking through their asses. I sure as hell don't just, because everyone believes things, believe too now, do I.

Slavery is seen as immoral and ethical by me and most people, and we will fight those who don't even if I were in the minority.

So it just your opinion which many agree with now.
Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by LordReed(m): 12:14pm On Sep 11, 2018
rekinomtla:

Not speaking about you. I'm referring specifically to atheists who say society determines morality aka cultural moral relativism.

That commandment refers to murder, the unlawful killing of another human being.

So then killing is relative is it not?
Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by LordReed(m): 12:23pm On Sep 11, 2018
rekinomtla:

By the way, cultural moral relativism is a very different concept from moral relativism.
Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by rekinomtla(m): 12:32pm On Sep 11, 2018
LordReed:

So then killing is relative is it not?

No it is not. Relative means it only a matter of opinion.
Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by rekinomtla(m): 12:38pm On Sep 11, 2018
LordReed:

By the way, cultural moral relativism is a very different concept from moral relativism.

It is a form of morality relativism.
Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by LordReed(m): 12:40pm On Sep 11, 2018
rekinomtla:

No it is not. Relative means it only a matter of opinion.

Thou shalt not kill but kill the Canaanites is not relative? Help me understand how you arrive at this position.
Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by LordReed(m): 12:42pm On Sep 11, 2018
rekinomtla:

It is a form of morality relativism.

Well I am not using it in any way. I firmly believe all morality is relative.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by rekinomtla(m): 12:54pm On Sep 11, 2018
LordReed:

Thou shalt not kill but kill the Canaanites is not relative?

The commandment is referring to the unlawful killing of another human being. God ordering the execution of the canaanites for their sins is not the unlawful killing of another human being. God has the right to take people lives away as punishment for their sins.

Help me understand how you arrive at this position.

Help me understand what you mean when you say killing is relative. Do you mean that out moral beliefs are just differences in opinion or...?
Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by LordReed(m): 1:32pm On Sep 11, 2018
rekinomtla:

The commandment is referring to the unlawful killing of another human being. God ordering the execution of the canaanites for their sins is not the unlawful killing of another human being. God has the right to take people lives away as punishment for their sins.

I am still struggling to understand how this is not relative in your estimation. He says do not kill, then he gives them a justification to kill. This is the very definition of relative ie there is a time to kill and there is a time to not kill. God didn't carry out the action himself, he gave a command to the same people who he had just told not to kill.

Help me understand what you mean when you say killing is relative. Do you mean that out moral beliefs are just differences in opinion or...?

It's not just a difference of opinion, it is that properly evaluated there is a justification for an action in one situation while there isn't for the same action in another situation. God evaluates that these Canaanites have sinned so they should be killed while he already told the Israelites not to kill.

4 Likes

Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by Dalam0n: 3:13pm On Sep 11, 2018
rekinomtla:

Where, when and how did the creator of the universe determine what is right and what is wrong? Is eating pork immoral? According to some people the creator of the universe said it's very immoral. Are they stating the truth?

1 Like

Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by Dalam0n: 3:19pm On Sep 11, 2018
rekinomtla:

Why then do you complain when Muslims go about killing people in the name of Allah? After all Allah has the right to kill unbelievers like you as punishment for your sins ofunbelief.

I hope this shows you that you are completely unreasonable and talking complete nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by frank317: 4:59pm On Sep 11, 2018
LordReed:

I am still struggling to understand how this is not relative in your estimation. He says do not kill, then he gives them a justification to kill. This is the very definition of relative ie there is a time to kill and there is a time to not kill. God didn't carry out the action himself, he gave a command to the same people who he had just told not to kill.

It's not just a difference of opinion, it is that properly evaluated there is a justification for an action in one situation while there isn't for the same action in another situation. God evaluates that these Canaanites have sinned so they should be killed while he already told the Israelites not to kill.

Sucker Punch

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? by rekinomtla(m): 5:34pm On Sep 11, 2018
LordReed:

I am still struggling to understand how this is not relative in your estimation. He says do not kill, then he gives them a justification to kill.

That's perfectly consistent with objective morality. I can believe something is objectively wrong in one situation but right in another depending on the circumstances.

this is the very definition of relative ie there is a time to kill and there is a time to not kill.

Moral relativists certainly believed that but the difference is they believe truth is a matter of opinion. If I said it is wrong to kill someone for personal pleasure and someone else said it is right, a natural question that would follow is who is correct, is it right or wrong to kill for personal pleasure.

According to moral objectivism there is a answer to that question and one of us is incorrect. According to moral relativism no one is incorrect, because there's no objective truth in the matter. My opinion is true for me and his for him. No one is right or wrong, it's just a difference of opinion.

God didn't carry out the action himself, he gave a command to the same people who he had just told not to kill.

Thou shalt not kill refers specifically to the unlawful killing of another human being. Most modern translations today use the word "murder" in place of "kill".

It's not just a difference of opinion, it is that properly evaluated there is a justification for an action in one situation while there isn't for the same action in another situation.

According to moral relativism it is a matter of opinion. If you don't believe that then you not a moral relativist. If for instance you believe that some action is always wrong in certain circumstances.

God evaluates that these Canaanites have sinned so they should be killed while he already told the Israelites not to kill.

Not to unlawfully kill.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Can you prove that your God is the real God? - A challenge to all religionists / Is Your Church Responsible For Your Inability To Follow Christ? / What Is The Importance Of The Empty Tomb Of Jesus?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.