Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,662 members, 7,801,914 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:42 AM

In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) (8616 Views)

30 Days And 30 Nights (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / All In One Night (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / Underlying Love (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 8:59am On Sep 05, 2018
Good day people. This is going to be another one of my short novelettes. It will have 10-12 chapters and I will try and post at least one chapter a day.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 9:07am On Sep 05, 2018
In Murky Waters
By
Kayode Odusanya

© 2018 Kayode Odusanya

The girl coughed a few times, and Frank turned around to look at her, naked under the sheets. Her bronze complexion shone under the white lights of the room; slim waist, wide hips, and big round butt. She told him she was 24, and when he told her his age, she didn’t even flinch. It was a rule of his never to go below 25, but with this girl, he had to make the exception. Apart from having a great body, her personality was so appealing to him. She reminded him of his ex wife earlier on in their relationship.
Never had he thought he and Esther wouldn’t work. They had been so much in love for years, but things changed after the marriage, and Esther’s family members started getting in her ear. It had gotten worse when Frank had started losing weight all of a sudden, and rumors started making rounds that he had gotten infected with the deadly virus. He had gone from having a 6 ft 2 athletic body, to an unattractive lanky stature that clothes looked horrible on. Esther didn’t care at first, but the freaking bloggers wouldn’t let the story die. People around her started asking about it was all the time, and she ended up losing her banking job over it.

Money from his writing wasn’t coming in abundantly at the time, and things got pretty hard. Esther finally decided to go for a test, and when she found out she was negative, she left him; five years of marriage gone. They didn’t even have a kid together. Even when he finally went for a full medical checkup and found out he was also negative, and that he had lost all that weight because he was diabetic, she still didn’t want him back. He wouldn’t say he was a saint either, as he had had a couple of girls on the side at the peak of his career. Now, he was 41, 4 years after the divorce, and he still hadn’t found love again.

A flash of bright light from the Plasma TV on the wall caught his eye; he robbed his nose bridge a few times and Put his glasses back in place as he focused on the TV. There was news about a terror attack in Paris. A couple of Arabs had gone on a crazy rampage, stabbing and killing multiple people in a park, before they were gunned down by the police. He wondered how the family members of the victims would feel knowing their loved ones had lost their lives. Why do innocent people always have to die this way? He thought to himself.

The girl turned around, and without opening her eyes, she found his arm and put it over her body, making him resume the spooning position. He moved in closer, holding her tightly. She moaned silently and went back to sleep. After his divorce, he had sworn not to ever fall in love again. He didn’t ever want to put another woman through what he put Esther through, so he lived a solitary life, and paid for sex whenever he needed to. Tomorrow morning, the girl in front of him would be gone, and maybe he would never see her again. He felt it was best that way; no one gets hurt, and everyone leaves happy, no strings attached. The way he looked at it, he always got inspired to write a new novel with every new girl he got with, so at least he got something out of his philandering ways.

His phone started to vibrate on the side stool by the bed on his side, and he quickly turned around to get it, not wanting to disturb the girl’s sleep. He scratched his beard as he stared at the caller ID, wondering why his agent would be calling him this late. He sat up in bed before picking. “Hello.” He said into the phone as he sat up in bed.” He said with a low voice.
“I knew you would be awake.” The person on the other end said.
“Why are you calling me this late? It’s…” He was saying then stopped to look at his wristwatch.
“I have a job for you, and you need to get here ASAP!”
“What are you talking about? Where is here?”
“Are you at home?”
“No. I’m…I’m somewhere on the island.”
“Perfect. Please come right now to Federal Palace hotel. Someone wants to meet you.”
“Who?”
“Fatai Mohammed.”
“I don’t know who that is.”
“Fatai Lion.”
“What tha…” Frank was saying and lowered his voice before continuing with, “Why does he want to meet me?”
“He wants you to write his biography.”
“What? Can’t you get him someone else to do that?”
“Frank, I can’t tell him no. Just get here as soon as you can.” His agent said and the line went dead.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by superjaks(m): 9:28am On Sep 05, 2018
Good one boss

1 Like

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by OlufemiWhit(m): 10:36am On Sep 05, 2018
Another one

1 Like

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by Ann2012(f): 1:16pm On Sep 05, 2018
Following all through

Well done Sir

1 Like

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 4:15pm On Sep 06, 2018
Chapter 2

He had heard a lot of scary stories about the Lagos drug kingpin, Fatai Lion. The guy was a small time gangster before politicians picked him up as a thug to be used during elections, and over the years, he elevated himself to a corporate thug. Now, he owned companies here and there legitimately, but he was still someone no one wanted to Bleep with.

Frank had left the fast life a few years ago, to live a quiet life of solitude till he died, now he was about to be drawn back into it…further deeper this time.

His agent, Demola had called him again before he left the hotel room that they had left Federal Palace Hotel, and were now at a club Xcape, drinking at the club’s lounge area downstairs. He was parked outside the club now, with his phone to his ear. A complete ringing session went by and Demola didn’t pick up. For a second, he felt like switching off his phone and going back to his hotel room. He waited a few seconds before dialing again. Demola picked up on the first ring. “What’s up? Where are you?”
“I’m parked outside.”
“Come in. You will see us immediately you walk into the lounge.”
“Umm! Okay.” He said and cut the line. He looked around his car to make sure he didn’t leave anything lying around that might attract thieves, then killed the car engine and stepped out. It was around 1am and there was still a lot of human and vehicular traffic around the pace. There was even a roadside barber setup opposite the road from where he was parked. He found that odd; not only was it weird to him that anyone would want to get a haircut this late, he also didn’t think he would see something like that in a highbrow area like Victoria Island.

He tucked his long sleeve denim shirt properly into his brown khaki pants, adjusted his glasses, and walked towards the main gate of the club.

The security guards, about four of them, saluted him as he walked into the club premises. They were dressed in black and heavily built. He nodded and kept walking. It was quite a long walk from the gate to the club building; through a narrow driveway that surely couldn’t take more than a car at a time.

The main club building had glass walls, and he could see the inside before he walked in. The place was scanty, and he saw Demola seated at a table by the left, talking to a man in white. There was a pool table to the right as he walked in, and he saw three mean looking men hanging around the place; he was sure they weren’t there to play. They all had on white native attire and blue cap, like they had been coming from a wedding. One of them, the biggest one, sized up Frank for a second before looking away. He was the tallest man Frank had seen in real life; tall and buff. He had a nasty scar on his face, running from beneath his right eye to his chin; it looked him he had a half-moon on his face. Frank swallowed saliva as he kept moving.
“Sir, this is Frank.” Frank’s fat and short agent, Demola said as he stood up to welcome Frank to their table. Without smiling, Fatai Lion stood up to shake Frank’s hand. He was also wearing white native attire with a blue cap. Fatai Lion was about Frank’s height, but his build made him appear quite intimidating. Frank didn’t think he needed bodyguards at all.
“Good evening sir.” Frank said with a smile.
“Please call me Fatai. It’s quite an honor to finally meet you in person.” The man said and it threw Frank off. Not only did his English sound polished, he also seemed to know who Frank was. He saw the shock in Frank’s eyes and smiled before saying, “Please take a seat. What would you be taking?”
“I think I’m good with Hennessey and Coke.” Frank replied with his eyes on the table. There was a half empty bottle of Hennessey and two plastic coke bottles on the table.
The man waved the waitress over. “Please bring a new glass cup.” He said with his eyes on the drinks on the table, as if doing some mental calculation. “Also, bring another bottle of Hennessey with a bucket of ice. We are going to be here a while.” He added.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by queenitee(f): 4:20pm On Sep 06, 2018
Present

1 Like

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by scarra: 9:21pm On Sep 06, 2018
Your works are too exquisite to be free and maybe that's the rationale behind you posting them as a novelette. You have a yet to be completed story that is too beautiful to be abandoned Kayo80. More muse to your writeup

1 Like

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 10:01pm On Sep 06, 2018
scarra:
Your works are too exquisite to be free and maybe that's the rationale behind you posting them as a novelette. You have a yet to be completed story that is too beautiful to be abandoned Kayo80. More muse to your writeup

Thanks a lot for this comment. I really appreciate it. And don't worry, I will complete all stories in due time.
Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 5:53pm On Sep 08, 2018
Chapter 3

Frank tried his best not to look too long at the Fatai Lion’s thick mustache as they discussed. With his bald head, and the mustache, he reminded Frank so much of American TV host, Steve Harvey.

What Fatai Lion really wanted was for people to see how much he had changed. Even though he was a street thug at a point in his life, he had graduated to bigger things, but people still saw him in that light. He was a corporate man now, and was working on going into politics in the nearest future; he knew he needed to clean up his image, and that’s why he had wanted Frank to write his biography.

After showing Frank the page for his Charity organization on Instagram and all the good deeds he had been doing, Frank was shocked. Not only because of the level of charity the man carried out on a weekly basis, but because he hadn’t put his face behind the foundation; he had in fact allowed another man get popular being the figure head of the foundation. But he was the real financial muscle behind the whole thing. Frank thought it spoke highly of him to be able to do something like that, and he suddenly saw the man differently.

Frank went on to advise Fatai Lion to not go the biography way, but instead, go the social media way. He felt writing periodical sponsored posts on Linda Ikeji’s blog and Nairaland about his good works would do more work on the psyche of the Nigerian youth. The man saw a lot of sense in that strategy, and they also agreed that apart from the activities of his charity organization, he would also start giving Lagos youths grants every month. They agreed on picking one youth from each of the 20 local governments in the state every month from now on. He had suggested hundred thousand each, thinking the man would object, but the man said he would prefer if each youth got two hundred thousand instead. “That would definitely be more than enough to set up a small poultry business, or an online business.” Frank said with a smile, really happy how the whole night had turned out.

……….

When the business talk ended, and the place got a bit quite, with just music feeling the air, the man received a call, and few minutes later, four ladies walked into the place. They were dressed seductively and they headed straight to their table. Two of them sat next to Fatai Lion and Frank’s agent; one by either man’s side. The other two sat next to Frank’s ; flaking him on both sides.
“Frank. That’s Angela on your left, and that’s Susan to your right. Pick one for the night.” The man said with a wide smile on his face. Frank’s mind went straight to the girl he had in his room, and he started thinking of how to decline the offer. When he was silent for too long, Fatai Lion went on to say, “Or you could take the both of them.” The two girls smiled, looking very willing to please him.
“Umm!” Frank started to say and stopped to clear his throat before turning to his right and saying, “I think I was will go with Susan.” She was the only one that had caught his eye when they walked in; tall and thick, wearing a black bodycon gown.
“Are you sure you don’t want to take the two of them?” Fatai said.
“I no get that kine power o.” He said in a low voice and they all burst out laughing.

………

After exchanging numbers with Fatai Lion, and agreeing on when next they would be meeting, he shook the man goodbye and walked out of the place with Susan on his arm. She was almost as tall as Frank; very sharply, with humongous melons.
The guards at the gate hailed him as he walked out, and he would have tipped them something, but a girl on the other side of the road caught his eye. She was dark skinned, had long braids and was wearing a half buttoned up white long sleeve shirt with jeans. Something just seemed really mysterious about her. She had been making a call but quickly ended it and slowly crossed the road. “Hello.” She said with a soft voice and smiled at the girl on Frank’s arm, waving her over. The girl excused herself and Frank kept walking to towards his car. He pressed the key fob and his Silver colored Toyota Avalon’s headlights blinked twice as the car was unlocked. His mind was calculating as he got into the car, wondering whether to take this girl over to his hotel room for a ménage à trois with the girl he already had there, or take her to another hotel.

He was still thinking when the dark skinned girl with braids got in the car and said, “Hi.” Frank looked at her, dumbfounded. “Don’t worry; I am a lot better than Susan in bed.” She said, with her hand on Frank’s lap, rubbing it slowly. “My name is Kikelomo, but you can call me Kiki.” Her hands hand gone to his groin area now, rubbing his bulge. He was in a state of confusion. Not only was it weird that she had come from nowhere, she also had a British accent, and it just felt out of place that a hooker would have a foreign accent. Maybe she was the type that got paid 200k a night or something, he thought. She giggled and retrieved her hand from his lap as she fastened her seat belt. “Let’s go. It’s going to be fun.”

He looked at her for a second longer, and without saying anything, he started up the car and backed out into the road. He fastened his seat belt, looked at her one last time before driving off.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by chara019: 6:24pm On Sep 08, 2018
Aiit......... I'm here....let's go there, keep it coming.

1 Like

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by superjaks(m): 11:05pm On Sep 08, 2018
ménage à trois will be a banger

1 Like

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by queenitee(f): 12:48pm On Sep 09, 2018
Lol

1 Like

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by Nobody: 5:16pm On Sep 09, 2018
Men! He didn't even bother to ask about Susan's whereabout...
Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 1:07pm On Sep 11, 2018
Chapter 4

He was on top her, going back and forth as he watched her make pleasure faces with her eyes closed. Frank felt like he was making love and not having sex with just a random girl; the chemistry felt so good to be true. It didn’t seem like they had just met a few hours ago. And it sure didn’t feel like she was a call girl. During their discussion on the way to the hotel, he heard learnt a lot about her that shocked him. But the one that melted his heart was the fact that she was actually a fan of his works. She had listed all his books, and even talked about characters he had forgotten about. For a writer that was past his prime, he felt joy meeting someone that cared so much about his works.

She had told him was more or less a love-vendor for Fatai Lion, but she had started out as a high class call girl herself, and sometimes still renders such services when the person in question was high profile; like a visiting foreign musician, a senator, a serving governor, or a writer she had a crush on. She had been the one that got the girl’s for Fatai Lion that night, and it wasn’t hard for her to ask Susan to step aside for her, since she was still going to get paid regardless.

They had switched position a few times, but they were back with what they had started with; missionary. Her braids were all over the place like the snakes on medusa’s head. Her soft moans were music to his ears. The way she held on to him like her life depended on it made him feel ecstatic. His weight was cushioned by her soft big breasts as he went back and forth.
When he finally came, she held on tightly to him like he was her big teddy bear, and they stayed in that position for a couple of seconds, before Frank rolled over in bed. Sex had always been like the best form of meditation and stress reliever for him, and this session was one of the best he had had in years.

He lay in bed, looking up at the ceiling, and she moved over to be in his arms; he had one arm behind his head and the other wrapped around her. She had a smile on her face as she ran her hand through his chest hairs. “When will you be ready to go again?” She asked and he had a quizzical look on his face. “I’m just kidding,” She said with a sexy laugh. The way she talked, the way she laughed, the way she moved; everything about her was blowing his mind away. He hadn’t felt this way with anyone since he first met his ex wife.

She wasn’t superfluously beautiful, but she had a beautiful soul for sure. The way she smiled and showed her perfect set of white teeth made her chocolate complexion look so gracious. He wondered how she managed to have such a great personality in her line of business. “What are you thinking about?” She asked without opening her eyes. When he didn’t say anything, she started rubbing his chest again.
“I want to ask a question.” He finally said.
“Okay. Go ahead.”
“Umm! I don’t know how to phrase it.”
“Coming from a writer, that’s weird.” She said and he laughed lightly.
“How did you end up doing this? I mean, you sound really intelligent and all.” He said and when she didn’t respond after a while, he went on to add, “I hope you are not offended by my question?”
“No. No I’m not.” She said and opened her eyes to look up at him. The signature smiley face was no longer there. Instead, she had on an expressionless look; like she was going down memory lane. “I lived in an orphanage in Ibadan till I was adopted by a young couple when I was 14. They took me to UK the following year, and we lived there as a family for many years.” She was smiling now, as if recalling some happy memories. And then the smile slowly disappeared. “My adopted mother died from a car crash a few months after my 18th birthday, and everything changed.”
“Okay.” Frank said, urging her on.
“My adopted dad was a mess after that. He was always in bed and I took care of most of the things around the house.” She stopped and closed her eyes again. “Then one night, I took food to him in bed, and he bust out crying again. I held him and he rested his head on my bosom. I…” She was saying then stopped to smile, as if trying to mask the pain she was feeling from having to recall the memory. “Even at 18, I was still very naïve. I didn’t understand a man could find me sexually attractive, not to talk of the man I called father.” A tear rolled down her eyes as she continued with, “At first, I froze in shock as he reached under by tank top and fondled my boobs. But then I snapped out of the shock and fought him off, but he overpowered me, and he took my virginity.” The room got quiet after that. Frank didn’t know what to say, so he just held her tighter. “It continued for many nights, and I still don’t know why I didn’t report him. I guess because I had lived in an orphanage all my life before they came for me, I didn’t want to have to live with strangers again.” She wiped her tears and sat up in bed, he did the same. “A few days after I turned twenty-one, I stole his money, bought a ticket and traveled back to Nigeria.”
“How many years ago was that?”Frank asked.
She looked up at the ceiling as if doing a mental calculation before saying, “Four years ago.” She pulled the pillow from behind her and used it to cover her naked body. “Of course I ran through the money quickly, and I didn’t have any work experience or any family to run to.” She said and laughed lightly. “I was broke and didn’t know what to do next. One day, I decided to go to the mall and window-shop and I met this guy who said he would like to buy me a drink. I was hopeless at the time, and he seemed like a pretty nice guy, so I accepted his offer. By the end of the night, we were having sex. And the next morning, while I was leaving, he gave me fifty thousand Naira.”
“Hmm!”
“Yes. I was shocked too. And…” She was saying then stopped when she saw the look on his face. “You don’t fancy me anymore, right?” She said with a laugh.
“No. Not that. I just find the story quite fascinating.”
She looked up at the ceiling for a few seconds before saying, “Well, that's the genesis of my story. That’s kind of how I got here.”

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by juninhouj: 3:29pm On Sep 11, 2018
very interesting piece I love it......... pls give us more

1 Like

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by superjaks(m): 10:36pm On Sep 11, 2018
Wow... Coperate olosho

1 Like 1 Share

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 2:05pm On Sep 14, 2018
Chapter 5

She woke him up around 5am and said she had to leave before the sun came up. They had gone one more round in the sack before he fell asleep; considering the fact that he had actually had another girl a few hours before she came along, he was pretty warn out. But still he couldn’t let her leave on her own, so he offered to drive her to where ever she was headed. Apparently, she had driven to the club where he had met up with Fatai Lion earlier, and her car was still parked there, so all he had to do was drive her to her car.

The place whole place was still bubbling when they got to the road the club was on. After taking the right turn off the road, She pointed at a black Mercedes Benz S 550 up ahead and asked him to park behind it. He looked at her with a quizzical look on his face as he pulled up behind the beast. “What?” She asked as she unfastened her seatbelt.
“How much do you get paid?”
She smiled and got out the car, leaned in on the window and said, “I’m priceless Frank Ederibhalo.” Her British accent sounded so sweet to his ears. She looked at him seductively for a few seconds before him a kiss. “Thanks for the ride. I’ll see you around.”
“Wait.”
“What?”
“Umm!” He didn’t know what to say but didn’t want her to go just like that. “Let me buy you breakfast.”
“Breakfast? I can’t stick around.”
“It’s 5:25 am. We could go somewhere and get breakfast before the sun comes up.”
She looked at him suspiciously for a few seconds before saying, “By this time? Where?”
“Somewhere in Surulere. You are heading to Ikeja, right?” He asked and she nodded. “Cool. You could use Eko bridge instead of Third Mainland, and we can make a quick detour to Surulere.”
“Hmm. That’s not a bad idea.” She said and checked her watch. “Okay.”

……….

She drove behind him on Eko Bridge; one of the three bridges that linked the mainland of Lagos with the Island. Frank had driven through this bridge many times in the last couple of years, but everything seemed different today. It felt like he had been numb to the scenery all this while and now only just realizing how beautiful the view from the bridge overlooking the Lagos lagoon was. Yellow lights from the lamp posts in the middle of the road, white lights from the reflection of the moon on the surface of the lagoon on both sides of the bridge, with multicolored lights from ships everywhere; It felt so beautiful.

He was lost in thought when he heard a car rev up its engine by his side. He looked, and it was Kiki in her Benz, with a look on her face that said, why are you driving so slowly? Post Malone’s Psycho was booming out of her car speakers. It felt like a scene from Fast and Furious. She revved up her car engine one more time before zooming past him. He smiled as he put his foot to the pedal, catching up and overtaking her swiftly.

Like two teenagers, they raced for a while, with Kiki being in the lead most of the time. She let him take the lead as they descended the bridge into the mainland. Two quick turns and two minutes later, they were slowing down on a brightly lit road. Frank came to a halt outside a shop, and she parked behind him. It was 5:45am, and people were strolling into the small shop to buy food like it was 7pm. Frank got out of his Avalon and waited for her to catch up with him. He was about to say something to her when from the corner of his eye, he saw a car speeding up towards them. The car came to a screeching halt in front of his car, and two guys in black jumped out of the small VW Golf car; the one that dropped from the front passenger seat fired two shots in the air as he approached them.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by Ann2012(f): 5:25pm On Sep 14, 2018
This is serious

Thanks for the update Sir
Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 2:13pm On Sep 15, 2018
Chapter 6

People around ran into shop, and Frank froze. Kiki ran into his arms. His survival instinct would have made him run too, but that was overridden with the instinct to protect Kiki. He wrapped his arm around her. “Relax guys. You can take my car.” He said and stretched his free hand at the one in front of them. The guy hit the car keys out of his hand and shouted out some curse words in Yoruba. The one with the gun stood in the center of the road, looking out for police. “Empty your pocket, fast.” The guy shouted out and Frank slowly put Kiki to the side, as he pulled out his wallet. The guy quickly grabbed it, and shouted at Kiki to empty her pocket too. With shaky hands, she pulled out her phone and some pieces of paper from her jeans pocket. She handed him everything in her hands, looking up for the first time since the encounter. The guy froze for a second like he had seen a ghost. He looked like he didn’t know what next to do. Then he dropped Frank’s wallet on the car and ran off. “Let’s go!” He shouted out to his partner in crime as he headed for the driver seat of the VW Golf.

Frank watched them drive off, shocked to say the least. “Are you okay?” He asked Kiki, pulling her into his arms. She held on tightly to him without saying a word. “Did you know the guy?” He asked her as he pulled away from her to see her face.
“I was about to ask you the same question.” She said as she flipped her braids to the back of her head and looked up at him. “I thought it was someone that knows you around the neighborhood.”
“I don’t think so.” He said, looking lost. “I don’t talk to anyone around here.”
The people in the midnight food joint started coming out one by one, asking in Yoruba if Frank and Kiki were okay. “I think we should leave before police come around.” Frank said and walked over to the side of the shop to pick up his car keys. “We can drive down to my house. It’s just around the corner.” Frank said as he walked back to his car with his keys in hand.
“Frank, I have to leave now.”
“Wait, are you sure? You can stay a while.”
“I have to. I already overstayed.” She said and rushed towards her car. She opened it and got in a hurry, but hopped out again and walked hurriedly towards him. “Please Frank; promise you won’t try to follow me?” He didn’t say anything but kept staring at her, trying to read the strange look on her face. It wasn’t fear, but he couldn’t place it. “Please promise.”
“Okay.”
“Okay. I got to go. I will call you.” She said and rushed over to her car. She drove past him, made a turn at a right turn up ahead, and zoomed past him at top speed.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by Ann2012(f): 5:46pm On Sep 15, 2018
I believe Kiki knows the guy

Thanks for the update OP

1 Like

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 5:35pm On Sep 17, 2018
Chapter 7

It was a hot Monday afternoon; his first time seeing her since the attempted robbery incidence three weeks ago. She came directly to his house in a cab. They had kept in touch on the phone and gotten closer over the weeks. He didn’t know if he was falling in love or lust, all he knew was that seeing her made him feel great. It definitely wasn’t just sex, because they hadn’t even had sex that day. They had been in bed talking, till she fell asleep in his arms.

Work with Fatai Lion had started already, and he had started going to radio stations to enlighten people on the upcoming grant program by the Fatai Mohammed foundation in Lagos. He had spoken at three radio stations so far, and the man had been with him during all the interviews.

Ademola, Frank’s agent had made sure he got paid six months in advance because he wanted his own ten percent share to come in a lump sum. The man had no problem paying up, and Frank’s share was two million, seven hundred thousand Naira. It was a like the beginning of a new life for him.

He didn’t have to use his car during the radio runs; Fatai Lion designated one of his Volvo SUV’s to pick him up and drop him off every time they had appointments. They moved around Lagos in a three car convoy; three black Volvo XC90. Everything was random with Fatai Lion; sometimes he would be in the middle car in the convoy, sometimes, he would be in the one at the back. Sometimes he would ride with Frank in the SUV assigned to him, and sometimes, he would ride in the one designated for his bodyguards. He kept switching at last minute, and Frank felt the man was being paranoid. This wasn’t the movies, and they weren’t in Columbia where drug kingpins took out rival cartel heads to get their territory.

On one of their trips to a radio station, in the crazy Lagos traffic, Fatai Lion had opened up to Frank about where majority of his wealth came from. He had a real estate company, a plastic making company, a bottle water company, and various poultry farms around western pats of country, but the business that brought him his most income was his marijuana sale business. He had a 20 acre Marijuana farm somewhere in Eruwa, Oyo state. And he exported hundreds of kilos of marijuana out of the country twice a month. He was able to do this without hassle with help from his friends in high places. Of course every one of those friends got a cut of his profit, but he was still raking in $3 million monthly income. In Naira, that was close to a billion a month. Frank couldn’t wrap his head around that kind of money.

From the farms, the weed was compressed to the size of a Bible, which measured a kilogram of weed. The kilos were then packed in boxes, and then loaded into trucks, which would transport the products to the rail station in Ibadan. Fatai Lion had his own train coaches that usually transported the goods down to Iju station in Lagos, and from there, he had boys who would drive the cargos across Seme border, into Benin republic. From this point, his distributors in Ghana, Ivory Coast and Liberia picked up their packages, and wired him payment within 24 hours. “Frank, Marijuana is a naturally growing plant. I don’t sell drugs.” He had told Frank during their long discussion.
“What’s on your mind?” Kiki said, distorting his train of thought. They had been laying in the spooning position and he had thought she had fallen asleep.
“I was about to ask you the same thing. You’ve been awfully quiet.” Frank said and held on to her tight. “You can tell me whatever is on your mind.”
“Oh, so you can write a book about me?” She said and he laughed lightly. The room went quiet again for a while before she finally said, “I need to tell you something Frank, but promise you won’t freak out.”
“Try me.”
“Okay. I…” She was saying and got distracted by a ringing phone. Frank rolled over in bed to get the phone on the bedside stool by his side. He looked at the phone screen for a while before picking up. The conversation lasted just a couple of seconds and he jumped off the bed afterwards.
“I’m sorry Kiki, I have to go somewhere.”
“Right now?”
“Yes. They are already outside waiting. I have a radio interview today that I totally forgot about.”He said as he combed through his wardrobe for what to wear.
“How long will you be gone?”
“Umm! I’m not sure; maybe a couple of hours; maybe like 3 hours.” He said and she buried her head in the pillow. “I’m so sorry. I totally forgot.”
“And I really made plans to be with you throughout the day.”
“I’ll be back before you know it. Just watch Zee World or something.” He said and she rolled her eyes at him. He was fully dressed now and he leaned in to give her a quick kiss. He was about to make a dash for the door, but she pulled him back and gave him a deep kiss. When he pulled away, she had her signature smile on her face. “I have to go Kiki.” He said and started walking backwards out of the room, and then he stopped like he just remembered something. “You wanted to tell me something, right?”
“I’ll tell you when you get back.”
“Okay. See you in a few hours.”

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by Nobody: 5:49pm On Sep 17, 2018
She's pregnant?

1 Like

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 6:36pm On Sep 17, 2018
Khostlybeauty18:
She's pregnant?

We will find out tomorrow. wink
Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by Ann2012(f): 10:14am On Sep 18, 2018
Thanks for the update OP

1 Like

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 7:37pm On Sep 18, 2018
Ann2012:
Thanks for the update OP

Thanks for being a loyal fan. I really appreciate it.

Next update will be posted tomorrow afternoon... Power supply was bad in my area today.
Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by Ann2012(f): 8:41am On Sep 19, 2018
kayo80:

Thanks for being a loyal fan. I really appreciate it.

Next update will be posted tomorrow afternoon... Power supply was bad in my area today.

No problem Sir, we'll be expecting

1 Like

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by Hantonia(f): 9:44am On Sep 19, 2018
Weldone op following ASAP

1 Like

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 10:01pm On Sep 19, 2018
Chapter 8

The radio interview didn’t take more than fifteen minutes, and on their way back they had stopped at a filling station to refill the vehicles. The SUV Frank was in was the first to get fueled and they were parked just at the exit of the filling station, waiting for the rest. He was the only passenger in the Volvo SUV, and he felt lonely sitting at the back of the luxurious three row SUV. The radio station they had gone to was on the outskirts of the city; about a 30 minute drive back to main Lagos. He wished he had someone to talk to on the drive back.

Frank had stayed in touch with Kiki via Whatsapp so far, but it appeared she had fallen asleep as she hadn’t been responding to his messages for the last 15 minutes. He had tried to discuss how much he would have to pay her, but she replied with an angry face emoji. He understood she was really into him, and this was no longer business, but he had gone so many years paying for sex that it had become second nature to him.

Frank heard a knock on the car window and looked to the side to see Fatai Lion smiling at him. He had taken off his suit jacket and had rolled up the sleeves of the white shirt he had on. The man still gave him the creeps even though they had been working closely for almost a month now. He just couldn’t shake off the stories he had heard about him. “I want to discuss something with you.” He said after Frank rolled down the SUV window.
“Oh. Okay.” Frank said as he opened the door and moved to the side for him to get in. The man got in, shut the door and asked the driver to head out.
“Everything has been good so far, right?” Fatai Lion said as they joined the expressway.
“Yes; so far so good. The articles about you are getting positive response, and the radio awareness interviews have been great so far.”
“That’s great. Umm! Concerning what I wanted to talk to you about.” He said and took a breather before continuing with, “My wife handles a program for me where we rehabilitate pickpockets, street thugs, and junkies.”
“Oh. That’s great.” Frank responded enthusiastically.
“Yea, it hasn’t been easy, but it is one of my favorite charity moves.” The man said with a smile on his face.
“I can see why that would be.”
“I want to ask you what you feel is the best way to get to more people with this program.” He was saying then stopped to pull out his phone. “Let me show you some of the pictures from the last reach out we had in Bariga.” He added as he went through his gallery. Frank looked away. He didn’t want to see what his eyes weren’t meant to see. “Check this out; that’s my wife in blue.” The man finally said, showing a picture of a lady in a blue skirt suit, talking to street thugs. Frank almost had a heart attack when he saw who the person in the picture was. The man kept scrolling through a series of pictures, and talking. He noticed Frank was no longer paying attention and looked at Frank with a quizzical look on his face before asking, “You know my wife?” As Frank thought of what to say, two bikes pulled up in front of them and the driver pressed the break hard, making them almost fall out of their seats.

Fatai Lion started cursing out the driver, but his voice slowly trailed off when he saw what was in front of them. The passengers on the motorcycles were seating backward on them with AK 47 rifles pointed at the SUV. “Shiit!!?” Frank cursed under his breath seconds before the men opened fire on the SUV. BRATATATATA!!!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by MissWrite(f): 10:34pm On Sep 19, 2018
You're an amazing writer.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 11:52pm On Sep 19, 2018
MissWrite:
You're an amazing writer.

Coming from one of my favorite writers on Nairaland... I really appreciate this. Thanks. smiley

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Blame Switch - A Short Story / As You Make Your Bed, So You Will Lie On Itm / Literature Section Awards Nomination Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.