Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,949 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:47 PM

In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) (8627 Views)

30 Days And 30 Nights (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / All In One Night (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / Underlying Love (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by abubakarbabang7(m): 10:20am On Nov 14, 2018
Kayo80 please come and update na

1 Like

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 3:47pm On Nov 14, 2018
abubakarbabang7:
Kayo80 please come and update na

Sorry for the delay. I will update later today.

To all the readers of this story, please don't vex for me too much, it is just that some times life comes in the way of our plans.

There are 3 chapters left of this story and I will post them when I get home tonight... I will post them between 10-11pm Nigerian time.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 10:12pm On Nov 14, 2018
Chapter 14

Just as Fatai said, the black Highlander was outside his apartment by 7am. Frank was officially dressed and ready, with his back suit, white shirt, but no tie this time. The first few minutes of the ride had him and the driver talking about yesterday's encounter, and then the car became quiet. The silence got Frank paranoid. Kiki had been so calm about the whole thing yesterday, but he didn't know if he would be able to keep his calm around Fatai any longer. Even if his change in demeanor could be ruled as effects of post-traumatic stress disorder from yesterday’s incidence, what would happen if Fatai Lion remembers to ask him again how he knew Kiki; what would he say then. He wasn’t a good liar and wished the question of how he knew Kiki never came up again.

Traffic was light, and the SUV was driving at top speed. Frank guessed the driver was following instructions given to him by Pascal or Fatai. It was weird not being in the convoy; he always felt safer. Frank, relax. A voice in his head said, and he sighed. He looked out the window and admired the greenery on the median strip. The other side of the road had heavy traffic, and as usual, cars were impatiently trying to form a new lane. The duality of the two roads made Frank think of how life was; the rich and the poor; the poor live in a crowded world, and the rich are few, just like the number of cars on his side of the road. With how imbalance it seemed, it was totally balanced. There can't be a world with many rich and a little poor. Even America has 20% of its population controlling more than 90% of its wealth. Frank was on his way to the other side; the rich side, but he felt like Kiki might have messed that all up.

As much as he liked her, and wished he could be with her for the rest of his life; she was a forbidden fruit he had eaten, which he didn't think was wise to continue eating. If they were characters in one of his books, they would have run off to a foreign land to live happily ever after. But this was the real world, not fantasy. In real life, things don't usually go the way you want. In the real world, you always pay for your actions.

He had been so deep in thought and hadn't noticed that they had gone off the main road, and were going through the quiet GRA area of Ikeja. Frank wanted to ask why they had gone off course, but thought the driver was trying to beat traffic. But there is no traffic on this side of the road, Frank thought to himself.

When they slowed down on a quiet street, his heart beat quickened. Henry turned around to say something about Fatai wanting them to meet at one of his homes for a quick rundown of assassination attempt before they head over to the police station. Frank nodded, trying to hide the mini panic attack he was having. He took a few deep breaths as Henry properly parked beside a beige colored wall. The pinging sound cars makes when a door opens sounded louder than usual as Henry opened his door. Frank said a short prayer before getting out of the car. His paranoia was getting the best of him.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 11:14pm On Nov 14, 2018
Chapter 15

The house had a large compound, long driveway from the gate, and a regular sized duplex in the middle of the property. It was ancient British architecture; the kind of houses that the colonial masters lived in while still in Nigeria. The other cars were packed in the compound, and when Frank saw some familiar faces, with smiles on their faces, he relaxed. He walked into the meeting as he stepped into the living room. His eyes searched the place, but Fatai was nowhere in sight. Pascal read his mind and said, "He said you should meet him in the backyard when you get here." Frank looked lost for a second, and Pascal pointed down a corridor. Frank nodded and walked down the path. He entered a kitchen, and opened the door to see a backyard of beautiful greenery. About ten meters from the door, in open space, was Fatai sitting on one of four cane chairs surrounding a cane table, backing him, wearing brown floral patterned Ankara attire. He was on a call, and turned around when he heard the door open. He smiled and waved Frank over.

Overhearing his discussion, Frank knew it was one of his family members, asking if he was alright. Frank took the seat opposite Fatai; he had a direct view of the kitchen door. The call went on for a while, and when Frank was starting to get uneasy, Fatai ended it and smiled at Frank before saying, "Sorry, that was my father in law, i couldn't caught him off."
"Oh. Okay." Frank said and swallowed spit.
"Not the father of my current wife. I was married before, but she passed. But I'm still really close with her father."
"Okay."
Fatai looked at Frank for a long time, making Frank really uneasy. Then he said, "So, how long have you been sleeping with my wife?"
Frank nearly had a heart attack. He went through series of emotions in just a few seconds; fear, sadness, surprise, and shame. He opened his mouth to talk, but his brain was still trying to decide if it was better to deny it or come clean. "She told me everything, Frank, but I still want to hear it from you." Still, Frank was dumbfounded. His heart beat went up again.
"What did you do to her?" Frank finally said, with a shaky voice.
"She's my wife Frank, not some random woman." Fatai said and looked deeply at Frank, waiting for him to say something else. Then he sighed and got off his seat. "Come on Frank, let's take a walk, it would help relax you."

……….

The option of denying the thing was no longer on the table, so he told Fatai Lion the whole truth. They had walked around the garden and were now back seated. The place was quiet and Frank started getting paranoid again. What if he kills me right here, and bury me by the dog gate, Frank thought.
“I guess if it wasn’t you, it would have been someone else.” Fatai finally spoke. “No one knows but me, you, Kiki, and Sarah. Even though my wife trusts her, I have been around long enough to know she will talk someday.” Frank stopped to cough before continuing with, “You have to disappear, Frank.”
On hearing this, Frank felt a kind of relief. The option was better than the one he had envisioned in his head.
“Okay.” Frank said and cleared his throat when he noticed how croaky his voice sounded.
Fatai looked at him for a while and then a smile appeared on his face before he reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone. “You are such an intelligent man; it’s a pity we have to end this. Do you have a domiciliary account?”
“Yes.”
“Okay. Please give me your bank account details.”
“Mmm. Okay.” Frank said and looked into space for a while before calling out his details. Fatai got busy on his phone, and a few minutes later, a text message came on Frank’s phone. It was a credit alert. He was stunned at the amount the man had transferred to him.
Fatai Lion smiled as he got off his seat. “I have to go and handle the stuff from yesterday now. And don’t worry; you don’t have to come with us.” Frank also got up and the two men walked into the house through the kitchen backdoor, into the empty living room, and then outside.

The men started getting into their various vehicles immediately they saw Fatai. Even Frank’s designated driver had driven their car inside the compound and he got in to start up the car. Fatai turned to Frank, smiled at him, and the two men shook hands before going their separate ways. Fatai’s grip was firmer than usual, and Frank got the message, ‘make sure you really disappear.’

The SUV with the bodyguards drove out first, then the one carrying Fatai, and then Frank’s SUV. When they got to an intersection in the road, the two vehicles ahead took a right turn, and Frank took the left turn.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 12:28am On Nov 15, 2018
Chapter 16

Frank was by the bus terminus now, wearing black jeans and a white polo top, waiting for his bus to Ghana to get filled up. Even though Fatai had not given him a deadline as to when to disappear, he guessed the man would assume he would do so within the next couple of days, and that was what he did. The very next day after they spoke, he moved all his things, including his car to his parent’s house, packed a duffel bag filled with essentials, and headed out. He stopped by the ATM to withdraw a hundred and fifty thousand Naira. That was not even up to a tenth of the money Fatai had wired to him.

Since he didn’t visas to travel to any of the western countries, he had decided to try out the Anglophone countries. He had a friend in Ghana who was into gold mining that had been asking him to come over for a while now. His short trip might turn into a long term stay as he was thinking of investing in gold mining in the country. He had done his research overnight after calling his friend. If everything goes well, his life would be a great one from here on end.

Even though he felt Fatai had more or less changed his life for the better when he thought it was going to shits, he still thought about what life would have been if she was with him. Frank, don’t be greedy. He said in a low voice and shook his head. He sighed and focused on his environment. The park was busy as many people traveling interstate were coming and going. A couple standing by one of the white Toyota buses going interstate caught his eye. The man was wearing a white shirt tucked into blue slacks, with a silver watch on his wrist; the woman had a big black handbag hanging on her wrist, and she was dressed in an olive green gown with a belt at the waist, which brought out her coke bottle shape. They had been talking, and when the bus driver said it was time to go, the lady leaned in and French kissed the man. It was a beautiful sight as they were both in their forties.

His mind wondered off again, but a voice in his head said, Frank, stop it, you have thirty million Naira in your account, you will find love again. The thought of the money made him smile and as he looked ahead, he saw a little toddler girl smiling at him. He pushed his glasses up his nose bridge and smiled back at her, but when he looked well, he noticed she was smiling at someone behind him. He was about to turn around when two hands covered his eyes. “Shiit.” He cursed under his breath as he caught a whiff of the familiar perfume.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 9:42am On Nov 15, 2018
Chapter 17

He pulled her to the side of the building, looked around before saying in a low voice, “What are you do here?”
“He let me go.” She said with a smile on her face. She was also wearing black jeans, and a white top, with a small black purse in her hand.
“What do you mean?”
“I mean, Fatai let me go. We are separated.”
“That’s not possible, he paid me to never to see you again; why would he let you go? It doesn’t make sense.”
“I’m serious Frank. He let me go.”
He looked at her intensely for a while then said, “How did you find me?”
“Instinct; this is the closest park to your house, and I just got an urge to come here after going over to your place and hearing you had moved out.”
He was quiet for a while, studying her. “Kiki, are you sure you didn’t run away?” He said in a low voice.
She laughed lightly before saying, “No I didn’t. I will explain everything to you later.” She took him by the hand and led him into building, then to the ticketing office. “Hello, please is the bus to Ghana full?” Kiki said to the lanky lady behind the counter.
“No. But it is remaining only one space ma.” The lady replied.
“Oh! That’s just great. That’s fate.” Kiki said and turned around to smile at Frank.

……….

Two hours later, they were riding in the back of a white Toyota bus, heading to Seme border; the border between Nigeria and Benin Republic. She had no luggage with her, but they had money and could buy anything and everything she needed when they got to their destination. He wished for it, and now that he got it, he felt it was too good to be true. She had told him Fatai considered the fact that she had not been genuinely happy with him, and didn’t want to keep her around against her wish. The explanation sounded too simple and plain for Frank to buy. The Fatai he had spoken with yesterday didn’t look like someone that was ready to let his wife just walk away like that. He knew women had a way of getting what they wanted from men, but this just seemed too easy to him.

“Stop over thinking it, Frank.” She said and turned his face towards hers’. “Savor the moment.”
He smiled at her and said, “Okay.”
“Just look at it as the universe giving us some good for all the bad we have individually experienced.”
“Hmm.”
“I have been through a lot in my life, and I think I totally deserve this.” She looked into space for a while before adding, “I kissed so many frogs to get you my prince charming.”
“Wait, you mean you actually kissed frogs?” She frowned at him playfully, and he laughed a little before saying, “I’m just kidding.”

“Oya, kiss me right now.” She said with a big smile on her face. The way what she said sounded with her British accent made him laugh. He looked around; the only other person on their role was asleep. He leaned in, she met him half way, and they locked lips, kissing passionately as their bus sped through the expressway to a new life ahead.

……….

Yesterday Afternoon

Fatai sat alone in his living room with an ice cold bottle of Origin on the stool in front of him, thinking of his next move. After his visit to the police station earlier in the day, he had headed straight over to his Baba’s shrine. The man had not been too happy with the news that Kiki had slept with another man. It had totally made his juju void. And the man hadn’t been shocked about the assassination attempt against him. According to him, all protections and goodwill he had been experiencing had come to an end with his wife sleeping with another man. The old man had told him the only thing he could do for him was to renew the jazz, but that even if he did that, it wouldn’t be as potent as when his wife had not had intimate relationships with any other man but him. “Fatai, oma ni la ti fe iyawo mi.” The man had told him in Yoruba, urging him to get a younger wife, if possible a virgin.

He took a sip from his half filled glass cup of Origin and sat back in his seat. With his legs stretched out and crossed at the ankles. He thought of what to do next. When he had met Kiki, and she told him her story, he felt she was perfect for him. A girl that had gone through a very bad case of sexual molestation in the hands of her adopted father. From what he had heard from people, females like that usually didn’t really fancy sex. He thought she would be okay with security and attention. His plan would work, and she would get a home, and money to do whatever she wanted to do in this world. Never did he think she would look outside for another man. And worst of all, it had to be the man that was helping him get to the next level. He wondered how long she had been orchestrating her plan. He thought they were playing checkers, but she was playing chess with him. He didn’t blame her anyway. She was human, and he had always believed that after the basic human needs of food, shelter, and clothing, passion was the next need in line.

He heard footsteps coming down the stairs, and looked towards the direction of the staircase. He didn’t know she was home. She looked sleepy and tired and her eyes grew bigger when she saw him. He was usually never home by this time of the day, so he could understand her reaction. Plus, she was still feeling guilty for what she had done. A smile quickly took the place of the shocked look on her face. Although he was one of the most feared men in the whole of Lagos, he had taught her never to fear him. When he came home, he never wanted to feel feared. “I didn’t know you were home.” She said. He smiled at her but didn’t say anything. She smiled back and walked over to sit on the couch opposite from him. The room was awkwardly quiet for a few minutes, till she got up, picked the remote control from the glass center table, and turned on the TV. A boy screaming on screen startled them both, and they laughed. It was a horror movie titled Boarding School, about a mysterious boarding school for kids that parent’ no longer wanted. She turned down the volume a couple of notches and put the remote back on the table.

They sat in silence for a few minutes, before he sighed and focused on her. “Do you really like him?” She looked at him for a while, and then nodded. “Does he like you too?” She nodded again. He took a sip from his glass cup and looked at her intensely for a while before saying, “What do you want me to do now?”
“I don’t know.”
He looked into space for a long while, and then focused on her again. “Let me make it easy for you; do you want to be with him?” He said and she nodded. “I know Frank is your favorite writer, but you know reality is different from fiction.” She smiled before nodding.

The room went quiet again before Kiki said, “I know I might seem very selfish, but I’m just being realistic. You have been really great to me. But you know as much as I appreciate all you have done for me, I am not happy.” It was his turn to nod. “If…If there is a way I could just leave, and start afresh with him, I would love it.” She said and focused on him for his reaction. “I know things might not be as rosy as I think right now, but at least, it would be my decision. And I would live with it. I want to make a decision for once in my life.”
He smiled as he nodded. He took down the last content of his drink, dropped the glass cup and said, “I totally understand you. I will miss you. But I know the wise thing is to let you go right now.” He smiled at her as he got off his seat and heading for the door. “I have to go for a meeting now. I won’t be back till tomorrow.” He stopped at halfway out the door and turned to look at her. It was clear in his eyes that he was making a tough definition. She walked slowly towards him, and they held each other in a tight embrace for a few seconds, before pulling away. Fatai kissed her forehead and said, “Thanks for all you did for me.”
“Thank you too.” Kiki replied. They held each other one last time, before Fatai pulled away, and headed out the door. She stared at the door, blank faced for a while as the reality of what had just happened hit her, and then a smile slowly appeared on her face.

The End

3 Likes

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by EvaJael(f): 10:45am On Nov 15, 2018
This is so intriguing as always Kayo. I enjoyed every bit of it. Thumbs up

2 Likes

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by abubakarbabang7(m): 10:48am On Nov 15, 2018
This is what i call a perfect ending. Thanks kayo80 we will be waiting for another blockbuster

1 Like

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 11:12am On Nov 15, 2018
abubakarbabang7:
This is what i call a perfect ending. Thanks kayo80 we will be waiting for another blockbuster

Thank you. New story coming next week.

1 Like

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 11:13am On Nov 15, 2018
EvaJael:
This is so intriguing as always Kayo. I enjoyed every bit of it. Thumbs up

Thanks. smiley
Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by carloz685(m): 1:00pm On Nov 15, 2018
Not once have you ever disappointed me in any of your write up... That's except the fact that you haven't completed some... This is wonderful...

1 Like

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by Ann2012(f): 1:31pm On Nov 15, 2018
Kayo80 is always on point with all his stories

Kudos Boss

2 Likes

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by PrudySara(f): 1:56pm On Nov 15, 2018
Frank and Kiki lived happily ever after.. Nice one Kayo kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by openmine(m): 2:04pm On Nov 15, 2018
PrudySara:
grin

2 Likes

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by OlufemiWhit(m): 4:06pm On Nov 16, 2018
Good job kay........ grin....holla me on the next one

1 Like

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 10:43am On Nov 17, 2018
carloz685:
Not once have you ever disappointed me in any of your write up... That's except the fact that you haven't completed some... This is wonderful...

Thanks for the compliment. smiley

And about the 2 uncompleted stories, I plan to complete them when I finish with a new story I'm currently working on.
Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 10:45am On Nov 17, 2018
Ann2012:
Kayo80 is always on point with all his stories

Kudos Boss

Thanks for being a loyal fan. You and some other readers of my stories here are the reason I keep writing.

1 Like

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 10:46am On Nov 17, 2018
PrudySara:

smiley
Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 10:51am On Nov 17, 2018
OlufemiWhit:
Good job kay........ grin....holla me on the next one

I will... it is coming very soon. That's the book cover below.

1 Like

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by Ann2012(f): 11:17am On Nov 17, 2018
kayo80:

Thanks for being a loyal fan. You and some other readers of my stories here are the reason I keep writing.

Uwc Sir
Keep writing, we'll keep reading cheesy

1 Like

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by carloz685(m): 1:08pm On Nov 18, 2018
kayo80:

Thanks for the compliment. smiley

And about the 2 uncompleted stories, I plan to complete them when I finish with a new story I'm currently working on.
I would love to know them when you post brother am here...

1 Like

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by Nobody: 1:47pm On Nov 18, 2018
Nice one dear
Waiting for the other story....

1 Like

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by dammyd46(m): 10:06am On Nov 19, 2018
Amazing Kayo80........

1 Like

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 10:00am On Nov 20, 2018
dammyd46:
Amazing Kayo80........

smiley
Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 10:01am On Nov 20, 2018
LightQueen:
Nice one dear

Waiting for the other story....

Thanks.

To everyone, this is the link to the new story...https://www.nairaland.com/4855924/magical-attraction-romance-novelette-kayode
Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by EkopSparoAyara(m): 8:14am On Dec 16, 2018
I found it strange too that Fatai lion let her go just like that, the Jazz being void and the need to get a virgin for a wife explains it all..
I wish them well....
From Fantasy to reality....

BRAVO KAYO

3 Likes

Re: In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by rayzar(m): 2:42pm On Jun 23, 2019
Thumbs Up Bro

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Drop A Comment Here And I'll Help You Make A Book Cover / Literature Section Awards Nomination Thread / Life As A Cultist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.