Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,018 members, 7,803,402 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:23 PM

The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know (24520 Views)

This Is The Health Implications Of Not Having Sex In A Long Time / Health Implications Of Cosmetics. / 3 Health Implications Of Drinking Garri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by HealthFixHub: 3:30pm On Sep 05, 2018
What if you eat nothing for a week?

Intermittent Fasting and water fasting are two practices that have grown to become one of the most popular trends in the world of health and fitness today. While several health enthusiasts are already joining the bandwagon, many others are still trying to see its importance.

Whether you’re into any of both kinds of fasting or not, you must wonder what really happens to your body when you stop eating. In a few paragraphs, this article will expose you to the inner happenings of the body during fasting.
What is Intermittent Fasting?

Since this is one of the major reasons that persuade health enthusiast and most others to starve, it’s only normal that I let you know what it is.

Intermittent fasting is a practice that involves cycling your periods of eating and fasting. It has to do with completely staying away from food for a certain period of time and then eating as usual for another period.

Some benefits promised by intermittent fasting include weight loss, improved immune system, longevity and improved metabolic rate. I’m sure “weight loss” there rang a bell.

What is water fasting?

Since this is one of the major reasons that persuade health enthusiast and most others to starve, it’s only normal that I let you know what it is. – Of course, I know I just repeated what I wrote in the previous paragraph, I had to scratch my itch.

Water fasting is a type of fasting in which the practitioner consumes nothing but water for days. It’s usually done for a variety of reasons including to slow aging, lose weight, improve cell recycling and lots more. It is entirely different from intermittent fasting and considered more tasking and risky – especially when the practitioner is not under a doctor’s supervision.

What happens to your body when you eat nothing for a week?

When your body waits but receives no food from you, it’s going to respond – that’s feedback. It will try to make adjustments that will maintain its regular operation and this brings about everything that you might experience, good and bad.
For the first 6 hours

For the first 6 hours of not eating anything, the sky remains blue, and every single thing works just fine. This happens not because you have some food from last night in your tummy, but for your body’s glycogen store. The body begins to obtain energy by breaking down stored glycogen (stored form of glucose) from its reserve. It is this energy that powers your brain, feed your muscle tissue and red blood cells, keeping you strong and sharp.

[Around 25% of energy generated is used for your brain, and the rest goes to muscle and red blood cells.

After the first 6 hours

*Visit the blog for videos images @ healthfixhub.com

Everything gets depleted without replenishment and the body’s glycogen store is not an exception to this rule. It exhausts the stored glycogen sometime after the first 6 hours of not eating, depending on how active you get.

No glycogen means no energy for the brain and for the muscle tissues too. This sort of throws the body into a frenzy and you begin to experience hunger and anger. They were right after all, those who said: a hungry man is bound to be an angry man.

The body doesn’t give up trying to restore balance so it searches for another source of energy. It soon turns to your body fat and starts breaking it down for energy. The process of breaking body fat down to fuel the body is called ketosis. Ketosis is the brain behind weight loss. This process altogether is way more complicated than this though.
For the first 3 days

After the first 6 hours
Though the body succeeds in generating energy for the muscle tissues by breaking your fat into fatty acids (ketosis), your brain is left out as it can’t use this acid as fuel. So it decides to carter for itself, looks around, finds and settles with ketone bodies for energy. This solution works only for some time because ketone bodies can’t replace glucose, and the brain can’t function off this. All these lead to mild cognitive functioning impairment which comes with symptoms that include

# Trouble remembering, learning new things, concentrating.
# Confusion
# Poor motor coordination
# Identity confusion.

This takes place within the first 3 days of going on without food.

After the first 3 Days
3 days and still, no food? The body is shocked, and since the ketone bodies it relied on previously are not so efficient, it searches for another source of energy. Good enough, protein releases amino acids which can be converted into glucose your body so desperately needs so it jumps on it. Bad idea though.

The body starts to break down proteins and generates enough energy to power the brain. This is at some cost however. Protein is a major source of muscle mass and since your body now feeds of it for energy, you start losing muscle mass.

Women might experience an additional problem, their menstrual cycle can pause. In addition, both genders bone density diminishes and their libido decreases.

After 1 no-food-week
After about a week, being that your body has received no vitamins or minerals, the immune system becomes weak. As a result, it becomes easy to be dealt with by bacteria and viruses as they face little to no resistance. This is really a dangerous period and many people can die after a month or up to seventy days. This is because the system becomes more and more fragile each day as the body continues to use every energy source possible until there is nothing left.

The most causes of death in such cases is usually a Cardiac Arrhythmia and heart attacks which happens due to the tissue degradation in the heart diaphragm.

The duration of your life depends on how much water you drink and the amount of fat reserves your body has, and this is the end of the road for everybody. – says bright side

Have you gone without food for really long hours, days, weeks or a month? Be it reasons having to do with religious walks or you pursuing the benefits associated with fasting, feel free to share your experiences on our blog. We'd really really really appreciate it. You can also tell us topics you'd like us to write on.

source: https://www.healthfixhub.com/2018/08/14/what-will-happen-to-your-body-if-you-stop-eating/

6 Likes

Re: The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by futuremoma34: 3:58pm On Sep 05, 2018
Npower/Federal Ministry of Finance refuse to pay Ntax 7months stipend after working
Ntax is a category under Npower 2017 which Minister of Finance Kemi Adeosun and Vice president Yemi Osinbajo created to increase tax payment across the 36 states. They promise to train 7500 out 300,000 from 2017 Npower beneficiary, and they have started the training in Federal Treasury Academy, Orozo Abuja last year. Up to this moment they have trained 36 batches.
Here are the problem facing by each category.
Stream 1-22 have been receiving their stipend up to date
Stream 22-28 have never received any stipend. (7 months )
Stream 29-36 have not been deploy talk less of payment. (Since June)
Here is what one of the Ctlo said
"It was like a dream come through when we were all called to report for training which took us the whole week in Abuja(orozo). After the training we were deployed to our different state to carry out the voluntary assignment as CTLO under the Npower arm of special intervention programme. But it is over 7months now we have not been given a dime as promised. Many of us move up and down to carry out the VAIDS exercise with our own pocket thinking that we would be paid soon. Its over 7months now that batch 22-28 CTLOs are hoping to get paid. We have tried to reach Npower through our state to make move for our payment but all to know avail. We are appealing to the appropriate authorities to please come to our rescue as many of us are finding it difficult to feed our family. As we quite appreciate the concept of this programme, we would further appreciate if our stipend is immediately paid....

3 Likes

Re: The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by excomarow(m): 4:00pm On Sep 05, 2018
Almost everything has implication...

Except Serving God

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by buygala(m): 4:01pm On Sep 05, 2018
Mm
Re: The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by josielewa(m): 4:01pm On Sep 05, 2018
i don[b] fast sotay i don dey loose[/b] weight ooo.....

1 Like

Re: The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by allanphash7(m): 4:02pm On Sep 05, 2018
I don't want to know anything about fasting cos i never fasted in my entire life and i will never fast in my life

Fast ko slow ni

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by NobodyKnows(m): 4:02pm On Sep 05, 2018
There was a time ago some Christian folks were saying bullshit about Ramadan . That the fast is fake because Muslims Eat sahur at dawn and eat again in the evening when they break the fast.
I was like wtf? Are you people stupid or something?
These people must think Islam is like Christianity where their pastors decide what to do.
This is Islam !
Everything in Islam has a particular way it should be done . Allah has ordained it to be like that .

If you like go and fast for fourty days ,fourty night like your Lord jesus Kristi.
There was a thread on FP just yesterday about someone that starved to death in the name of fasting.
You are the one that will shout that your god is not wicked .yet you dy advocate Nonsense that is unbearable to people

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by Franzinni: 4:03pm On Sep 05, 2018
grin
Re: The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by Originality007: 4:03pm On Sep 05, 2018
lipsrsealed
Re: The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by handsomeyinka(m): 4:04pm On Sep 05, 2018
Just tell us you want us to patronize your new resturant.

1 Like

Re: The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by Nobody: 4:06pm On Sep 05, 2018
Our Father Jesus fasted for 40days and 40 nights, so why can’t I fast.

Stop being lazy and starve for the lord

1 Like

Re: The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by kindnyce(m): 4:06pm On Sep 05, 2018
Fasting has a wonderful effect, spirituality, health-wise and fitness

11 Likes

Re: The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by Imperare(f): 4:07pm On Sep 05, 2018
ok
Re: The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by amaniro: 4:08pm On Sep 05, 2018
I love fasting, even if kills me. I don't mindsmiley Because ave GIVING MY LIFE TO CHRIST

2 Likes

Re: The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by anambraamaka: 4:11pm On Sep 05, 2018
I'm fasting
Re: The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by NobodyKnows(m): 4:11pm On Sep 05, 2018
PRESENTATION:
Our Father Jesus fasted for 40days and 40 nights, so why can’t I fast.

Stop being lazy and starve for the lord
grin grin
Your Sarcasm is second to none

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by darlenese(f): 4:12pm On Sep 05, 2018
I have fasted for 4 days and 4 night , the programme was suppose to be for 7days and 7 nights, but after four days I was already seeing heaven I had to break the fast.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by NobodyKnows(m): 4:12pm On Sep 05, 2018
kindnyce:
Fasting has a wonderful effect, spirituality, health-wise and fitness
Yes , you’re right .
Wonderful effects like starving to death

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by Nobody: 4:15pm On Sep 05, 2018
How a healthy and sane human being will choose not to eat is beyond me.

1 Like

Re: The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by jyz200(m): 4:15pm On Sep 05, 2018
My highest fasting duration is 1day

1 Like

Re: The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by papalsbuIl: 4:18pm On Sep 05, 2018
[s]
NobodyKnows:
There was a time ago some Christian folks were saying bullshit about Ramadan . That the fast is fake because Muslims Eat sahur at dawn and eat again in the evening when they break the fast.
These people must think Islam is like Christianity where their pastors decide what to do.
This is Islam !
Everything in Islam has a particular way it should be done . Allah has ordained it to be like that .

If you like go and fast for fourty days ,fourty night like your Lord jesus Kristi.
There was a thread on FP just yesterday about someone that starved to death in the name of fasting.
You are the one that will shout that your god is not wicked .yet you dy advocate Nonsense that is unbearable to people
[/s]
claptrap and stupid trash
bloody religious bigot
respect other people's religion

cc
mynd44 lalasticlala obinoscopy

22 Likes

Re: The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by Damidave1124(m): 4:22pm On Sep 05, 2018
NobodyKnows:
This is Islam !

What is this one saying now?

13 Likes

Re: The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by creamylicious(f): 4:23pm On Sep 05, 2018
darlenese:
I have fasted for 4 days and 4 night , the programme was suppose to be for 7days and 7 nights, but after four days I was already seeing heaven I had to break the fast.
omor I laughed at this......

5 Likes

Re: The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by heffem(m): 4:23pm On Sep 05, 2018
NobodyKnows:
This is Islam !

...why not summarize, instead of writing this Biology note

5 Likes

Re: The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by Malakh: 4:24pm On Sep 05, 2018
these people just dont know there are other ways of getting energy apart from eating, how do you think Moses fasted forty days and forty nights, even Yahshua did the same thing..it's called walking in the Spirit...if you know what Spirits are created from then you'll understand where energy, electricity comes from, then you'll understand that the body can be electrified, then you'll understand how Moses face shone before the people.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by Nobody: 4:27pm On Sep 05, 2018
NobodyKnows:
This is Islam !

You have decided to turn something educative to a religious war zone again. When will people like u have peace of mind to see things clearly devoid of religion? Did the writer compare Christianity with Islam above?

Ur comment shows clear symptoms of paranoia with an extreme level of inferiority complex plus a lot of frustrations and confusions.

Please see the doctor for ur medication.

And... please, Christ is still ready to help u when u are ready.

31 Likes

Re: The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know by boyjo: 4:30pm On Sep 05, 2018
excomarow:
Almost everything has implication...

Except Serving God

Consequences you mean?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Stop Using Tissue Paper To Wipe Your Nyash After Poo, Always Use Water . / Coronavirus: 18 Staff Of Akwa Ibom Government Test Positive / Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.