Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,356 members, 7,780,965 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:31 AM

When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? (4663 Views)

Is Google Adsense Worth The Effort? / Give Your Seo A BOOST!! Buy This Link Building Plugin| Automatic Backlinking / Is The Adsense Effort Worth Your Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by 9jasmm01: 6:52pm On Sep 05, 2018
At what timeframe should you expect your SEO effort to start reaping result?

In other words — How long does it take SEO to work?

As a digital marketing professional and SEO expect, I get to hear this questions every day from clients and trainees.

Everyone expects that after putting so many efforts on getting their SEO right, they should be rewarded by seeing their website on the first page of search engines within the first few days.

But this doesn’t happen The reason is that they see SEO from a different angle. Like ordering a pizza and getting it delivered within a few minutes.

But in reality, SEO is like investing in stocks. You have to wait till it ripe enough to give you millions.

There was a time when SEO was pretty easy to do, all you required was the right keywords and boom. However a few years now, with search engines, particularly Google changing their algorithms every now and then, the rules behind SEO as equally changed.

We can’t really say — Sometimes it takes longer and sometimes shorter. I for one have seen my content rank for it keywords within a few days and others within a few months. There are so many factors that can affect how to quickly you can rank.

There is traffic, website structure, domain age, content length, keyword competition, target market, domain age and so on.. For a website that has rightly done it SEO without any Google penalty, the average time frame is between 4 to 6 months.

But then again, I for one see the “How long does it take SEO to work” question very irrelevant.

The question you should rather ask is — what do you expect from SEO? When we do SEO, its for a reason — we want more organic traffic, generate leads and make sales.

When you want to get to the top of search engines for a particular keyword, you will have to outrank all the competitive website that are ranking for that same keywords.

This could take years or months. But say you are doing SEO to attract leads and organic traffic, then you might start seeing answers within a few weeks or months. With all have said above,

I’m sure you are asking if there are any factors you need to focus on for your websites to rank. Yes, there are and we are about to look at them. Note — this works for both new and old website — faster for an older website.

Before your website can appear on the Google search engine, it has to be indexed first. While this doesn’t really mean you should have so many pages ranked on Google, It means having quality pages indexed. There are studies that point to a relationship between indexed pages and rankings. The more quality pages rank, the better but don’t fall into the trap of creating pages for the purpose of ranking.

Contents are the major key to ranking on Google. In short, it is the only factor that we SEO experts can vouch for when it comes to ranking factors. But then not any type of content gets you to rank. Your content has to do/give something extraordinary to the person reading it. Your content can make or destroy all your SEO efforts. Hence your content needs to be original, and unique, have at least 1000 words and well presented for readability.

I would have just stated keywords but then that will be too competitive. Keywords help search engines crawler know what your page or content is all about. It is what also help users find you when they make a search query.

The thing is keywords are now becoming rarer and small groups of keywords aren’t going to drive enough traffic to your website because of their competitiveness.

That is why I mentioned long-tail, keywords. People nowadays carry out searches that are more like normal questions than just one, two or three keywords. People now ask more detailed questions in search queries. Long-tail keywords are normally less competitive and thus drive more traffic to your website. They are easier to rank on.

Another factor you need to consider is the competition level within your niche or industry. There hundreds if not thousands of website struggling to get to the front page of search engine result like you. This means that for SEO to work for you, you have to do a lot more work than them. That is why we advise people to remain consistent in their efforts, create unique contents and maintain patience.

The age of your domain name also affects SERPs (search engine result page rankings). In short, it is the reason why hear blackhat SEO doers always recommending you buy an old domain. What would take 6 months + for a new website will take less for an older website. Google prioritise older website more especially those without any Google Penalty.

Another factor that has a huge impact on how long you SEO is your target audience. Are you targeting a local audience (your country, province, state or street,) or a Global audience? Local targeting helps your content might rank faster as there is less competition compared to a global targeting. If you do your local SEO correctly i.e “Marketing agency in Montreal”, you will rank faster than targeting “marketing agency”.

I want you to picture SEO as a tree. You plant the seed, water it, give it sunlight and good soil. You watch it grow. You continue to nurture it until it is matured to bear fruit. My point is, for SEO to work you have to give it time. Be consistent, avoid focusing on generic keywords and stay focus on your marketing plan.

Reviewed by Odiagbe Marcel on September 05, 2018 Rating: 5

Originally published at https://9jasmm..com/2018/09/when-does-your-seo-effort-start-working.html.

1 Like

Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Sep 05, 2018
And how do you know if your site is having a penalty from Google, with no manual web spam action issued against the site
Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by mmb(m): 6:58am On Sep 06, 2018
What is SEO?
Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by tstx(m): 6:59am On Sep 06, 2018
clears throat
Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by Emmerlee(m): 7:00am On Sep 06, 2018
People who pride themselves as digital marketing professionals and SEO experts are OFTEN times not.

Seriously!

5 Likes

Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by MobileGees: 7:00am On Sep 06, 2018
questechie:
And how do you know if your site is having a penalty from Google, with no manual web spam action issued against the site

please someone should answer this guy questions and I started my blog with copy and paste but now I want to stop. And start writing original contents does Google forgive my blog of my past sins??
Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by Obas101(m): 7:00am On Sep 06, 2018
After 6 months of starting a blog. 1 month subsequently after publishing a post
Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by englishmart(m): 7:00am On Sep 06, 2018
Throughout yesterday, I was busy thinking about today, I didn't have enough time to enjoy yesterday.
No time sha. It's time to start thinking about tomorrow.

Hope I didn't derail
grin grin

1 Like

Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by Silvermoney: 7:01am On Sep 06, 2018
Seo is dead. Now Google does whatever it likes whenever it likes. You're basically at Google's mercy, no matter what you do in the form of seo.
Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by Obas101(m): 7:01am On Sep 06, 2018
MobileGees:

please someone should answer this guy questions and I started my blog with copy and paste but now I want to stop. And start writing original contents does Google forgive my blog of my past sins??
Nah.. Google never forgives. Your site is abandoned
Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by MobileGees: 7:03am On Sep 06, 2018
Obas101:
Seriously!! so I should dump the blog
I'm sure they would be a way around it.
Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by Leun: 7:03am On Sep 06, 2018
Your points are valid. SEO nowadays isn't a pizza you receive in the now. It takes time.

Good write up.

Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by akeentech(m): 7:05am On Sep 06, 2018
Write quality content and leave the rest for whosoever in charge of ranking, does backlinks count? I don't know. I have 400 backlinks and I rank with a competitor of 2k+ Backlinks
Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by emmyw(m): 7:08am On Sep 06, 2018
MobileGees:

Seriously!! so I should dump the blog

I'm sure they would be a way around it.

Don't Dump It, Just Modify Or Take Down Or Put Source On The Article You Copied, Start Writing Original Contents And Resubmit Your Sitemap To Google For Indexing.
Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by switchdestiny: 7:17am On Sep 06, 2018
Ok
Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by webtutorr: 7:23am On Sep 06, 2018
(1) What is google penalty and What are the various actions one can perform in his/her site that can lead to google penalty
(2) can google penalty make your site not to be approved by google adsense?
(3) Does it mean that people should not do copy and paste blogging again? If the answer is yes, then how will bloggers that blogs on politics, sports, entertainment and other news update get their news? bkos you must copy news from another site to your own.

2 Likes

Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by qanda: 7:42am On Sep 06, 2018
Ok
Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by ednut1(m): 7:44am On Sep 06, 2018
Seo this seo that yet ur blog is crap. Only in nigeria u go see export trainers forex trainers. Teaching pple tins u never mk a dime from

1 Like

Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by Loneley: 7:45am On Sep 06, 2018
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Emmerlee:
People who pride themselves as digital marketing professionals and SEO experts are OFTEN times not.

Seriously!
Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by Nobody: 7:53am On Sep 06, 2018
webtutorr:
(1) What is google penalty and What are the various actions one can perform in his/her site that can lead to google penalty
(2) can google penalty make your site not to be approved by google adsense?
(3) Does it mean that people should not do copy and paste blogging again? If the answer is yes, then how will bloggers that blogs on politics, sports, entertainment and other news update get their news? bkos you must copy news from another site to your own.
Answer for q2, yes I experienced it with some affiliate posts, I needed to delete over 100 articles before Google approved my adsense.

1 Like

Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by lawrence35(m): 8:21am On Sep 06, 2018
SEO is nolonger what it use to be, the idea of keywords and stuff is changing.

Google algorithm now rate websites based on important. Social media play a big role in this, eg. A post with no focused keywords but more reads and social media shares will rank higher than a keyword rich post with little Share. This is just one part of what Google check.

Google constantly change the way it rank websites.

The information you read about SEO may be obsolete in the next 48 hours.

2 Likes

Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by BiafranBushBoy: 8:38am On Sep 06, 2018
MobileGees:

Lol
Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by lawrence35(m): 8:38am On Sep 06, 2018
SEO is nolonger what it use to be, the idea of keywords and stuff is changing.

Google algorithm now rate websites based on important. Social media play a big role in this, eg. A post with no focused keywords but more reads and social media shares will rank higher than a keyword rich post with little Share. This is just one part of what Google check.

Google constantly change the way it rank websites.

The information you read about SEO may be obsolete in the next 48 hours.
Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by SEONaijaExpert: 9:44am On Sep 06, 2018
Many webmasters and bloggers in Nigeria doesn't understand how SEO works. More reason everyone is talks from whatever they read online without looking at the date it was published.

SEO is a trend, just like fashion! You need to be updated as per what's going on and for some of us, you get heads up on what's going to happen.

SEO is not magical. I've built backlinks for a website that took 14 days to show up and boost things and I've done another that took just 5 days. If you ask why was it so, I don't know! It's nothing magical or automatic.

SEO is continuous. Today's method can crash tomorrow and more reason blogs or webs or businesses that can afford a goto or standby SEO expert should hire one if not within the company but within reach. Google roll out updates almost every 6 months. We've had the era of penguin, hummingbird, Mobile friendly, rankbrain and more coming up. These algorithms are kept from everyone and Google employees won't dare leak them but even at that, what google is asking for has never changed. What has changed is just some features because they keep trying.

At a time, they placed the URL up for the title tag to be below, it ran for 2 days because CTR was affected. At a time they added image attached to the post in search, they're still testing that to see if it enhances search result. So, no updates should fear any blog or website that's its SEO is properly done. Could need a little tweak but not total deranking except you're using blackhat SEO and you're outsmarted.

SEO is extremely important. It's a must for your business. The best kind of blog or website is the one you don't need to share contents or make any advert and traffic remain constant or increasing. That's an auto-traffic blog. You're always at rest and not chasing traffic. SEO is the answer to that. You could be getting a free organic traffic monthly that if you were to pay, you wouldn't have been able to afford it. Organic traffic is key to your website or blog. It's better juice alongside direct traffic.

Let me stop there.....

THE PROBLEM NOW IS

1) Many businesses online don't really know how helpful SEO can be so they concentrate on posting and sharing contents.

2) Many that knows the boost SEO can give don't know how it works and some don't care to know at least for basic knowledge.

3) There are technical part of SEO that's beyond the general knowledge.

Many bloggers know backlinks and probably what it means but many bloggers don't know that not all backlinks are good.

Many bloggers don't know the differences between dofollow and nofollow backlinks.

Many bloggers don't know what makes a backlinks from a site bad and how it can affect your blog

Many bloggers don't know what DA and PA means and what type of DA will be good for your blog or website.

SEO is technical. Just as you cannot jump in your car and start repairing things, so you can't just jump into SEO without a proper analysis or check up.

4) Quality SEO is expensive. Someone of this forum contacted and asked me to build backlinks to his blog for 5k. I never replied again. That's a shallow knowledge of SEO. I'm very selective of the blogs and websites I work with. Especially if you do copy and paste, you're a bad market to my skills because it won't show. Quality SEO can be expensive.

5) Website owners and Bloggers always chase the big meat. For example, practically all single keywords are dominated in SERP. Imagine you writing about a single keyword not coined by you and you expect to rank. That's chasing shadows. But there's a trick to that, people sometimes could misspell that same word many times and if you chase that within your first paragraph, you can rank for it on Google first page. Alternatively, you surround it with long tail keywords with low search volume and you will still be getting the organic traffic.

SEO is wide! Even people like us are not resting on the knowledge of yesterday.

Pls don't mind any typo, I typed directly from brain.

See you again on another blog related topic.

#BlogWithSoul

4 Likes

Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by DanWrites(m): 9:49am On Sep 06, 2018
Google now ranks websites based on relevance, design, content, age, etc.

We got that message from them at DNB Stories (www.dnbstories.com) at the beginning of last year -- they were even nice enough to tell us what and what we needed to do to maintain our 'good standing.'
Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by Ochinex(m): 10:06am On Sep 06, 2018
Obas101:
Delete those copy and paste posts on ur blog
Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by STEKENT: 10:27am On Sep 06, 2018
SEONaijaExpert:
Many webmasters and bloggers in Nigeria doesn't understand how SEO works. More reason everyone is talks from whatever they read online without looking at the date it was published.

SEO is a trend, just like fashion! You need to be updated as per what's going on and for some of us, you get heads up on what's going to happen.

SEO is not magical. I've built backlinks for a website that took 14 days to show up and boost things and I've done another that took just 5 days. If you ask why was it so, I don't know! It's nothing magical or automatic.

SEO is continuous. Today's method can crash tomorrow and more reason blogs or webs or businesses that can afford a goto or standby SEO expert should hire one if not within the company but within reach. Google roll out updates almost every 6 months. We've had the era of penguin, hummingbird, Mobile friendly, rankbrain and more coming up. These algorithms are kept from everyone and Google employees won't dare leak them but even at that, what google is asking for has never changed. What has changed is just some features because they keep trying.

At a time, they placed the URL up for the title tag to be below, it ran for 2 days because CTR was affected. At a time they added image attached to the post in search, they're still testing that to see if it enhances search result. So, no updates should fear any blog or website that's its SEO is properly done. Could need a little tweak but not total deranking except you're using blackhat SEO and you're outsmarted.

SEO is extremely important. It's a must for your business. The best kind of blog or website is the one you don't need to share contents or make any advert and traffic remain constant or increasing. That's an auto-traffic blog. You're always at rest and not chasing traffic. SEO is the answer to that. You could be getting a free organic traffic monthly that if you were to pay, you wouldn't have been able to afford it. Organic traffic is key to your website or blog. It's better juice alongside direct traffic.

Let me stop there.....

THE PROBLEM NOW IS

1) Many businesses online don't really know how helpful SEO can be so they concentrate on posting and sharing contents.

2) Many that knows the boost SEO can give don't know how it works and some don't care to know at least for basic knowledge.

3) There are technical part of SEO that's beyond the general knowledge.

Many bloggers know backlinks and probably what it means but many bloggers don't know that not all backlinks are good.

Many bloggers don't know the differences between dofollow and nofollow backlinks.

Many bloggers don't know what makes a backlinks from a site bad and how it can affect your blog

Many bloggers don't know what DA and PA means and what type of DA will be good for your blog or website.

SEO is technical. Just as you cannot jump in your car and start repairing things, so you can't just jump into SEO without a proper analysis or check up.

4) Quality SEO is expensive. Someone of this forum contacted and asked me to build backlinks to his blog for 5k. I never replied again. That's a shallow knowledge of SEO. I'm very selective of the blogs and websites I work with. Especially if you don't copy and paste, you're a bad market to my skills because it won't show. Quality SEO can be expensive.

5) Website owners and Bloggers always chase the big meat. For example, practically all single keywords are dominated in SERP. Imagine you writing about a single keyword not coined by you and you expect to rank. That's chasing shadows. But there's a trick to that, people sometimes could misspell that same word many times and if you chase that within your first paragraph, you can rank for it on Google first page. Alternatively, you surround it with long tail keywords with low search volume and you will still be getting the organic traffic.

SEO is wide! Even people like us are not resting on the knowledge of yesterday.

Pls don't mind any typo, I typed directly from brain.

See you again on another blog related topic.

#BlogWithSoul

I need mentorship, can you help me out. 08136811309
Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by GoodMuyis(m): 10:28am On Sep 06, 2018
tl:dr

Mine started working 3 Days Later, I started getting better result after 2 Months.

I was the one who did SEO configuration for https://kabirutanimuturaki.org, the official
I did not even do much and searching the man's name Tanimu Turaki will get the campaign website on top 4 result after Wikipedia and co
Re: When Does Your SEO Effort Start Working? by GoodMuyis(m): 10:34am On Sep 06, 2018
Leun:
Your points are valid. SEO nowadays isn't a pizza you receive in the now. It takes time.

Good write up.

I knew of a Pizza SEO, I will spill it out when i finish my research

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Blog Design Mistakes Bloggers Often Make - Naijatechguy / How To Improve Your Blog Search Engine Rankings / Nigerian Stock Exchange Api, Rss Feeds & Widgets ::

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.