Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:29 AM

Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation (31251 Views)

Earth Tremor Rock Akure City,Ondo State / Earth Tremor: Hydrologists Speak On Possibility Of Earthquake In Nigeria / Why Earth Tremor Occurred In Abuja – FEMA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by mvem(m): 7:59am On Sep 07, 2018
wolesmile:

Can you see your life?
So countries where earthquakes, landslides and other earth related disasters occur wan their citizens ahead, and yet they record so much casualties when these disasters occur. Is movement within the earth crust the same thing with a weather related disaster?
...shut up... There are no scientific ways to detect earth quakes ahead of time... And please our region has no tectonic fault at the crust and can't have an earthquake...go and read

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by Quincykay: 8:01am On Sep 07, 2018
Just saw this.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by Mizwisdom(f): 8:02am On Sep 07, 2018
Realname:

Zero

Nigeria is like a barn of pigs without a sherpherd

www.nema.gov.ng

National emergency agency is available. I don't work for government, but I read a lot to know this

Need books?
contact me via orderbooksng@gmail.com
Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by mvem(m): 8:03am On Sep 07, 2018
cherriex:

It can't be quarry, I felt it this morning, and I am in kado estate, never heard any quarry blast around here, besides its not a sound, it's a shaking nd am upstairs yet felt it. Am actually scared.
...it can cause longitudinal waves which you are feeling faraway from the focal point...Do we even know what an earth quake is

2 Likes

Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by Elliot2(m): 8:03am On Sep 07, 2018
natural disasters in great magnitudes need to happen to us once in a while so that we will become woke; only bad leaderships r not enough to wake us up. by d time dis things happen.there won't be chants of pdp/apc,afonja/Igbo anymore.
Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by Realname: 8:04am On Sep 07, 2018
Mizwisdom:

www.nema.gov.ng

National emergency agency is available. I don't work for government, but I read a lot to know this

Need books?
contact me via orderbooksng@gmail.com

That wasn't the question

The question was how many Nigerian citizens are trained on how to spot and how to.react safely like exit tall buildings don't stand benit dangling furniture and how to crouch beneath tables and such

So start reading the right books

1 Like

Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by micflo28(m): 8:06am On Sep 07, 2018
Indonesia suffered this so much with active volcanoes due to excess mining activities that most of their economic activities revolve on mining. Dynamites affect the earth so much. Fg should begin to study the earth with a view to get early warning signals (EWS) and prepare for major evacuations. The best place to stay in this situation is under a table.

3 Likes

Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by Amazonboss(f): 8:10am On Sep 07, 2018
‘Earthquakes, tsunami likely in Nigeria’ ON JUNE 3, 201010:00 AMIN LATEST NEWS0 COMMENTS By Oscarline Onwuemenyi ABUJA—A British geologist and renowned earth education expert, Mr. Chris King, has predicted that the country could be hit by major natural disasters including earthquakes and a tsunami. King, who made the prediction in an interview with our correspondent in Abuja, at the background of a geological training session for students and teachers, urged government officials to intensify education of the populace on these natural disasters and ways of surviving them should they occur. He said, “Major earthquakes have happened in Nigeria in the geological past, and we have potential for major earthquakes in the future. That is a huge possibility. “There is also a possibility that a tsunami could hit Nigeria; the type of tsunami that hit South East Asia. So, it is important for children and their teachers to know how to deal with these disasters when they occur, so they can make plans to save their lives.” He further disclosed that towns and villages along the coastal areas, especially in the Niger Delta region of the country, are exposed to greater hazards in the event of the Atlantic overflowing its shores. According to King, “One of the islands in the Atlantic Ocean could set off a volcano that could produce a tsunami that can sweep across the South Atlantic coastal areas of the Niger Delta, which could be really devastating if it happens; it is not very likely, but it could happen. “In the Camerouns, people have died from volcanic lakes in the past, and Cameroun is not very far from Nigeria. I don’t think we are going to see volcanic eruptions in Nigeria, but certainly we are going to have earthquakes. Even in the middle of plagues, you can have major earthquakes which can be very devastating.” According to King, however, the possibility of natural disasters occurring may not pose as much challenge as the capacity and ability of the country to manage them when they occur. “The problem we have today is that if we knew a tsunami were to hit the country, no one will know what to do. You can have a tsunami warning system as they have in the Indian Ocean and in the Pacific Ocean. “Also, you need to train the population in the coastal areas what to do in case a tsunami is predicted. You need to train the population that if a tsunami were to hit that they need to move the highlands and move away from the coast: that will save their lives,” he noted. King, who is a Director at the Earth Science Education Unit, Department of Education, Keele University in the United Kingdom, is in the country under the auspices of the Nigerian Geological Survey Agency, NGSA, to train teachers and students on “What we are trying to do both in the UK and in Nigeria is to train science teachers to teach science more effectively, and in the UK we use a lot of models to make the teaching interactive, and here we are teaching the students pleptonics using a whole different range of models, which tell them about the different geological variation we have in Nigeria.” He added that there was a need to education policy administrators in the country to “change the curriculum a bit and introduce some more science education to reflect modern day realities, especially with regards to the structure of the earth and earth science.” “When you talk to children about earthquakes and volcanoes, they get very excited. Part of what we are teaching about will help children know how the earth works what to do and how to save their lives. If the people know what to do, it will enhance their survival in the face of natural disasters,” he added. Meanwhile, the Director-General of the NGSA, Prof. Malomo, has stated that the agency was making efforts to educate more Nigerians on the unique earth structures in the country, even as it works hard to enhance the economic potentials of Nigeria’s geology and earth resources as well as increase both local and foreign investment in the sector. He said geology is a major academic discipline, and is commercially important for mineral and hydrocarbon extraction, as well as for predicting and understanding earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. It is also an important foundation for many other science and engineering disciplines, including evolutionary biology, paleoclimatology and geotechnical engineering   .

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/06/earthquakes-tsunami-likely-in-nigeria/
Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by Mizwisdom(f): 8:12am On Sep 07, 2018
Realname:

That wasn't the question

The question was how many Nigerian citizens are trained on how to spot and how to.react safely like exit tall buildings don't stand benit dangling furniture and how to crouch beneath tables and such

So start reading the right books

I don't know the number of Nigerians trained for this but I know that I've listened to radio and television campaigns on how to respond to things like bomb blasts and fire out breaks. which are more immediate problems.

You can join me in developing a reading culture amongst Nigerians by listing the right books

1 Like

Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by Quincykay: 8:14am On Sep 07, 2018
Another big one now.

2 Likes

Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by Realname: 8:18am On Sep 07, 2018
Mizwisdom:

I don't know the number of Nigerians trained for this but I know that I've listened to radio and television campaigns on how to respond to things like bomb blasts and fire out breaks. which are more immediate problems.

You can join me in developing a reading culture amongst Nigerians by listing the right books

Your heart is in the right place and I commend you. But unfortunately I dont care to develop nothing for Nigeria or Nigerians

pS I have an impressive library

But not here

1 Like

Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by Originalsly: 8:21am On Sep 07, 2018
The FEMA Director General need to be shot...shot dead. He is lueless....so long after..he cannot say the cause..nor tell residents what safety precautions to take. After being shot dead...he needs to be shot again.
Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by asawanathegreat(m): 8:24am On Sep 07, 2018
May God save our land from such disaster
Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by Newboss(m): 8:26am On Sep 07, 2018
NotGej:
I just felt it now. This just woke me up now. This is not the usually tremor from rock blast. It came with a loud bang. Location is gwarinpa-Abuja.
Abeg bros, how is that Gwarinpa area? angry I'm considering buying a house there. angry Is it a developed area? angry

1 Like

Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by mosedgreat(m): 8:28am On Sep 07, 2018
My advice, if your are in affected areas you better move out quickly as it is going to rumble very soon.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by fakati(m): 8:28am On Sep 07, 2018
This is too bad on the part of the govt residents should take precaution but they fail to make it clear the type of precaution to be taken. It started in the afternoon of Wednesday and not 9pm as reported people in Mpape can't sleep with both their eyes closed

1 Like

Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by afroniger: 8:31am On Sep 07, 2018
Quincykay:
Just saw this.

Big thanks for the updates bro. Please keep them coming till the authorities do the needful.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by gr8tone: 8:32am On Sep 07, 2018
This news left me thinking. Take precaution? How? We should run away? Or what do they mean by taking precaution in a matter like this? Federal government be serious abeg
Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by suyamasta(m): 8:33am On Sep 07, 2018
Abeg this is the last thing we ever need in Abuja, our government no get dat time abeg make e no pass did tremors o abeg make d real earthquake no happen abeggg
Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by Newboss(m): 8:40am On Sep 07, 2018
mvem:
...shut up... There are no scientific ways to detect earth quakes ahead of time... And please our region has no tectonic fault at the crust and can't have an earthquake...go and read
The problem of illiterates is not that they don't read but that they don't get sense from what they read. angry

See your mouth like "can't have an earthquake". angry You don't have a clue at all. angry So because your daughter was a virgin last 5 years, she is definitely still a virgin today? angry
Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by jarmy: 8:44am On Sep 07, 2018
islandmoon:

what do you expect from a dullard president?
My president is not a dullard. He is doing his best.
Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by suyamasta(m): 8:45am On Sep 07, 2018
A major earthquake in fiji is said to be the cause as Abuja is diametrically opposite fiji and simultaneous earthquake occurrences around countries in the ring of fire could play a major role in this

3 Likes

Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by AmazingELixir: 8:51am On Sep 07, 2018
Rubbish!

This is speculative, a proper study should be conducted to ascertain the actual cause of the ground movement, there are no known earth fault in the the Abuja trough, if one has developed the relevant authorities should do the study and confirm.
FEMA Is in no position to make statement on seismic activities they simply do not have the capacity.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by ItwasntMe(m): 8:53am On Sep 07, 2018
I believe this tremors are caused by the extensive mining activities and blasting when the force exerted on the rock mass exceeds its strength.These vibrations would eventually loose steam as Nigeria is not located within major seismic zones of the world.

2 Likes

Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by mapet: 8:55am On Sep 07, 2018
gaby:
This is coming probably almost 48 hours after the initial reports made the rounds online.

God knows why he had deliberately shielded us from major disasters. We would have all perished and dwelling in the belly of the earth before a state of emergency or an alert will be issued.

May God continue to hide us under the shadows of his wings, because as we can see, we are left to our own vices.

Enjoy my siggy

Please be sure of your statements, especially when you make assertions that are factually incorrect.
As soon as the Tremor started 48hrs ago, I know for a fact that Dr. Joe Abah (ex-DG of BPSR) placed a call to NIMET to ascertain whether it was a bomb blast or impending natural disaster. NIMET informed him that their was patterns of tremors and they were monitoring.

There is a guided way, a Standard Operating Procedure to communicate issues like this. You don't want to cause unnecessary panic and escalate things beyond necessary. SOPs could say monitor for X period, 1st level communication after X+Y period and then evacuate after X+Y+Z period...

3 Likes

Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by GavelSlam: 8:56am On Sep 07, 2018
backnbeta:
Naija and campaign after election syndrome! Other countries send out warning before wahala, naija agencies send theirs after! I hope they have evacuation plans and all, in case of emergency.

No country sends out warnings before earthquakes.

They can only give advisories in earthquake-prone areas.

Seismicity even now cannot be predicted.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by mapet: 8:56am On Sep 07, 2018
Meeloreh:
In case it was real earth tremor, how many Nigerians are well trained to detect, predict or tackle such. I'm just wondering

How many do you know are not trained to detect, predict and tackle? Do you know about an agency called NIMET and what they do? What do you think Nigeria's investment in 2 major satellites serve?

2 Likes

Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by mapet: 9:02am On Sep 07, 2018
NwaliE01:
FEMA, in statement, said the tremor maybe a sign of seismic movement within the earth and said “it could also be caused by a sudden break along lines which result in sudden release of energy that makes the ground to shake.

The statement was signed by FEMA Director General of, Mr. Abbas Idriss.
Maybe; see how they are playing with our lives.
They are not even sure what led to the quake.
I don't know when we would at least take a step forward from where we are right now

I wonder what specifically you want them to tell you. Do you know that some of this things cannot be exact science within 48hrs? Do you know that seismic data collected live may take some time to interpret? See you making statements worse than a novice. Who told you it is already officially designated an earth quake? What ever step you need to take forward......actually relates to you getting some learnings

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by wolesmile(m): 9:06am On Sep 07, 2018
mvem:

Onyeoshi....
Are tremors not as a result of movements within the crust?
Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by gaby(m): 9:06am On Sep 07, 2018
mapet:

Please be sure of your statements, especially when you make assertions that are factually incorrect.
As soon as the Tremor started 48hrs ago, I know for a fact that Dr. Joe Abah (ex-DG of BPSR) placed a call to NIMET to ascertain whether it was a bomb blast or impending natural disaster. NIMET informed him that their was patterns of tremors and they were monitoring.

There is a guided way, a Standard Operating Procedure to communicate issues like this. You don't want to cause unnecessary panic and escalate things beyond necessary. SOPs could say monitor for X period, 1st level communication after X+Y period and then evacuate after X+Y+Z period...

You seem to be an expert in this field.

The question is, why are they putting out a public statement as an agency about 48 hrs after rumours of the first tremors were going viral.

One would have expected them to put out an information to dispel the rumours or misinformation to avert a panic situation.

How can you even sit and type that they were quiet so as not to cause panic?

Bro, I might not be an expert authority on this, I simply try to reason rationally going forward.

I never knew Joe Abba was the mouthpiece of NIMET or FEMA-NEMA
Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by wolesmile(m): 9:09am On Sep 07, 2018
Teacher1776:

For your information, it is actually possible to warn people years ahead if there is a likelihood of earthquake or tremors in an area.
You may read the article below to learn more about it.

www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/698736/new-york-city-earthquake-warning-risk-shaking-buildings-emergency

Mr Teacher..... E ti go ju! E o ni laakaye rara botiwu ko mon.
Re: Abuja Earth Tremor: FG Offers Explanation by AmazingELixir: 9:11am On Sep 07, 2018
Quincykay:
I'm in Maitama. Been feeling this for 3 days. Largest one was 6:11am this morning. Something actually feel in the living room. Yesterday was about 15 of them.

The day before, I felt 4. Don't know if there were more as I was out of town.

As at this morning, since I was woken up by the massive one at 6:11am, there have been about 5.

I haven't noticed a pattern to say it's man made (blasting). Although I haven't felt any between 12am and 6am both days. So maybe? Please let me know if I'm wrong.

From talking to all my friends and family that live in the area, mpape seems to be where is strongest.

It happened while I was talking to someone in bannex and we both felt it at the same time. But mine in maitama was stronger.

Farmers market area felt it too. But not Guzape.

I putting this info up so we can try to figure it out ourselves as govt seems to be guessing too. So any relivant info should please added.

Please no need for Buhari and Jesus to be mentioned. Just saying oh. No be fight.

grin
Remove Buhari and Jesus and the participants thin out....those are the items that add juice to the discuss naa grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Leopard Entered A School In India & Mauled 6 [video] / Strange Rat With Vampire Teeth (Pictures) / 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.