Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,253 members, 7,807,865 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:00 PM

"Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora (25374 Views)

Visa Ban: Don’t Disrespect Nigeria, FG Tells US, UK / No Licence For 5G Network In Nigeria –FG / Sabo Nanono: There Is No Hunger In Nigeria – FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by BeeBeeOoh(m): 10:36am On Sep 07, 2018
The federal government has appealed to Nigerians in the diaspora to return home and help build the Nigeria of everybody’s dream, assuring them that things are changing in the country.

The Minister of Science and Technology, Ogbonnaya Onu, made the appeal at a series of Town halls with Nigerians in the U.S., assuring that old ways are now giving way to new ways of doing things.

The minister was in the U.S. to sensitise diaspora Nigerians on the Presidential Executive Order V signed by President Muhammadu Buhari in February, to improve local content in public procurement with science, engineering and technology components.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Order is expected to promote the application of science, technology and innovation towards achieving Nigeria’s development goals across all sectors of her economy.

The president, in line with his constitutional powers, ordered that all “procuring authorities shall give preference to Nigerian companies and firms in the award of contracts, in line with the Public Procurement Act 2007”.

Mr Onu thanked the diasporas for their remittances to Nigeria estimated at $22 billion yearly, saying it is a major contribution for our nation “but we want you to return home”.

The minister said: “Please we want you to return home, it is important. Not everybody will return but some can start coming home, and that’s the essence.

“We are telling you that things are changing in Nigeria, this is the message, that’s why I’m here.

“I heard all the complaints – people will do this and nobody responds and all that and so on; yes, these are things that happened in the past and we can’t correct these things just overnight.

“This is the truth, there is no way you can make these changes and then make the corrections and all that overnight. But the important thing is that there is a change”.

Mr Onu appealed to the diasporas to make a patriotic decisions about their country, saying “we can’t all be waiting until everything is okay in Nigeria before we can return home”

According to him, there are many Bill Gates in Nigeria, adding, we need to give you the opportunities and we are giving these opportunities.

“If there were pioneers that built America, there must be pioneers to build Nigeria. Please I beg you, let us not wait until everything is ready. Somebody has to get it ready.

“If we keep waiting until everything is ready, it may never be. We must decide that we have to look at the future of our children and grand children.

“Let’s not look about ourselves. So we have to think of the future, we have to think of the greatness of our nation.

He said Nigeria had never had it like this before about the level of infrastructure development that was going on in our country, stressing that the country is having changes across board.

“Things are changing in our country, and if all of us can walk together, if we can do that, then we can now build a great nation that all of us would be proud of.

“This is the message and I believe that this is also your intentions that our nation will be a great nation. Please, you should never have any doubt about the future of our country.

“We have some of the most intelligent people in the world. I can tell you this because I know those Nigerians who have done so well in the best universities, in the best research centres in the world.”

According to him, the executive order will make money for Nigeria and Nigerians, create jobs for the citizens, fight poverty and increase the middle class in the nation.

In their responses, the Nigerians in the U.S. assured the federal government of their eagerness to return home and use their expertise to help build a Nigeria of everybody’s dream if there is enabling environment.

They expressed concerns that they had always looked forward to contribute their quota to their homeland but expressed regrets at some of the frustrations they had always encountered.

Many U.S.-based Nigerians drawn from all over the U.S., attended the town halls at Washington DC, New York, Virginia and Miami venues, where presentations were made about the presidential directives.

Emmanuel Anosike, President, American-Nigerian Chamber for International Trade and Commerce, bemoaned what he called the bureaucratic bottlenecks in Nigeria when the diasporas had projects in the country.

Mr Anosike said: “When the Kaduna refinery broke down, I brought the engineers who built the refinery to Nigeria severally to revamp it but we were not able to make any headway.

“I have been to Nigeria 37 times with projects and investors but I have been frustrated all the 37 times. It’s just very sad that you leave here with the best intentions and you’re frustrated”.

Jolly Abu, President, Nigerian United Nations Staff Recreation Club, urged the minister to create a platform for the diasporas who have something to contribute to the country.

“When you leave now, to have access to you will be very difficult. We’ve been in Nigeria several times but to gain access to the minister becomes a problem.

“Several times we spend months and we go back the same. If you can create a platform where the diasporas can access the platform so easily, it would be good.

“This order of the president, I’ve gone through it several times, there should be a provision for people in the diaspora; if you are bringing an expert from the U.S., you must have a company at home.

“The people coming from diaspora, when they want to register a company at home, it becomes a problem. So if you can create a platform where diasporas can easily have access and tracking.”

Temitope Ajayi, the Chairman, Silicon Valley Nigerian Economic Development, called on the Nigerian Government to put measures in place for strong patent law to protect patent owners.

“It’s sad that you could give Nigerian public officials your blueprint and they carbon-copy it and remove your name. The owner is the originality, who knows the clue of how to solve the problem.

“Every proposal is a puzzle, if you look at it from the surface angle, there are some clauses that only the person that has the business proposal that can implement it,” she said.

Ms Ajayi also said for the executive order to succeed, government at all levels must put round pegs in round holes adding, when politicians are appointed, competent people should be given sensitive portfolios.

Kazeem Bello, Board Member of Nigerians in Diaspora Organisation (NIDO), advised government to step down the implementation of the order trough the Public-Private-Partnership arrangement due to the perceived bureaucracies of the public sector.

Mr Bello said: “Government should implement the order by setting institutional and enabling environment for the private sector to work under Privately Owned and Operated Project that is completely private sector driven.

“The federal government should also consider including some slots for disapora Nigerians like NIDO members in the Governing Council to allow for an effective representation from the Nigerian professionals in the diaspora”.

Other Nigerians who spoke at the town halls also called on the governments at all levels in Nigeria to operate open governance and tackle the endemic corruption.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/282812-return-home-things-are-changing-in-nigeria-fg-tells-diasporans.html

2 Shares

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by HungerBAD: 10:37am On Sep 07, 2018
Jokers.

Even me that support the APC, find it difficult not to laugh sometimes when I hear some of their jokes.

Good morning guys,and may we all have a laughter filled day.

404 Likes 37 Shares

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by bedspread: 10:38am On Sep 07, 2018
Nigerians In Diaspora to FG

352 Likes 26 Shares

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by Nobody: 10:38am On Sep 07, 2018
Issa wash o. cheesy cheesy

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by Nobody: 10:39am On Sep 07, 2018
Lol,maybe a tongue in cheek jibe,return and be beheaded by Fulani militia,weyrey.

104 Likes 6 Shares

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by Shelumiel: 10:40am On Sep 07, 2018
Nigeria has nothing to offer, except you're corrupt or , delight in mediocrity .

101 Likes 11 Shares

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by Nobody: 10:40am On Sep 07, 2018
Chisos, see big fat lie..

When i still dey pay for light wey i no use, dem no gree give prepaid.. Awon werey..

Come back home you hear, una go know the difference.

109 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by 93Miles: 10:41am On Sep 07, 2018
God bless PMB

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by 93Miles: 10:42am On Sep 07, 2018
[s]
HungerBAD:
Jokers.

Even me that support the APC, find it difficult not to laugh sometimes when I hear some of their jokes.

bedspread:
Diaspora to FG
Orla234:
Issa wash o. cheesy cheesy

ehie:
Lol,maybe a tongue in cheek jibe,return and be beheaded by Fulani militia,weyrey.
fuckerstard:
Chisos
Shelumiel:
Nigeria has nothing to offer, except you're corrupt and delight in mediocrity .
fuckerstard:
Chisos
[/s]

1 Like

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by enoconcernme: 10:46am On Sep 07, 2018
Even Buhari himself spend more time abroad than in Nigeria. grin

323 Likes 31 Shares

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by ZKOSOSO(m): 10:47am On Sep 07, 2018
Hahahahahaha....! CowHarians would not kee pesin....!

More like an invitation to mass suicide....!

Buhari is indeed LIFELESS, ..wanting more LIFELESS people!

40 Likes

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by AAlozie(m): 10:48am On Sep 07, 2018
Then tell Buhari to stop going to the Diaspora for treatment every time

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by shakmati(m): 10:50am On Sep 07, 2018
Diasporans should wait. By this time next year, you can safely return home when Saraki is our president. #growNigeria. BAS 2109 issa goal!

43 Likes

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by BeeBeeOoh(m): 10:51am On Sep 07, 2018
enoconcernme:
Even Buhari himself spend more time abroad than in Nigeria. grin
You mean we're been governed by a diasporan presido??

94 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by Bizibi(m): 10:55am On Sep 07, 2018
This people are wicked!!! And they are not saying anything about allocation of funds for the mda so that 2018 projects can kickstart immediately honestly,I'm really tired of these politicians.

6 Likes

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by kernel001: 11:12am On Sep 07, 2018
Return to the world home of poverty.

16 Likes

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by SolutionMee: 11:16am On Sep 07, 2018
cheesy

God forbid. Can they even afford my weekly pay? The only time I will come is during December period. And that will be done so as to take my parent along with me prior to 2019 general election. I heard that you guys used to kill yourselves unnecessarily during elections. I thought you've changed but you've proved me wrong that you can never change. Not in this life.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by Beremx(f): 11:18am On Sep 07, 2018
If Buhari has the opportunity to rule Nigeria from London, he would have done it. The old man prefers to stay abroad than Nigeria.

Mr. Ogbonnaya thinks Nigerians in diaspora do not know what happens in Nigeria abi?

Yeye dey smell!

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by Racoon(m): 11:31am On Sep 07, 2018
grin grin grin grin Not that the things have even actually change yet? APC is damned funny government I swear.
A Nigeria whose president endlessly spent time outside for just his medical treatment & repatriated nationals in the horrible Lybian illegal migration are sueing same for bringing them back to the hellhole

10 Likes

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by Nbote(m): 11:55am On Sep 07, 2018
How can a President who has spent more tym abroad dan here ask ppl abroad to come back??

Diasporans!!!! Dis is not a drill!!
Dis is a setup!!!
I repeat!!
Dis is a setup!!

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by sukar886: 12:52pm On Sep 07, 2018
joke of the year

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by slivertongue: 1:14pm On Sep 07, 2018
Things are changin 4d worst &dey know dia is no functional security, jobs are being lost on daily basis,no human rights

4 Likes

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 1:17pm On Sep 07, 2018
Hahahaha.
Buhari and his APC band of criminals have finally gone mad.
They should come and partake in the lifelessness abi.
I laugh in Daura kikikikiki...

14 Likes

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by iloveyou82(f): 1:19pm On Sep 07, 2018
Ok

1 Like

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 1:19pm On Sep 07, 2018
HungerBAD:
Jokers.

Good morning guys,and may we all have a laughter filled day.

please can you just give me one tangible reason why you support APC and the tyrant called Buhari??

18 Likes

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by acenazt: 1:46pm On Sep 07, 2018
shakmati:
Diasporans should wait. By this time next year, you can safely return home when Saraki is our president. #growNigeria. BAS 2109 issa goal!
what is wrong with this guy who is deceiving you? SARAKI might end up not even winning his party primaries sef.
Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by Kingjames(m): 2:01pm On Sep 07, 2018
ok
Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by shakmati(m): 2:01pm On Sep 07, 2018
acenazt:
what is wrong with this guy who is deceiving you? SARAKI might end up not even winning his party primaries sef.

Do you promise to vote him when he wins the primaries?

3 Likes

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by Firefire(m): 2:51pm On Sep 07, 2018
APC, Party of professional liars and career rogues.

11 Likes

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by StillX10(m): 4:08pm On Sep 07, 2018
It's a lie oo, nothing is good here oo, dey there oo, no come back here oo

2 Likes

Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by acenazt: 5:05pm On Sep 07, 2018
shakmati:

Do you promise to vote him when he wins the primaries?
i'm ineligible for Voting for the next 34 years but my Father will if he does.
Re: "Return Home, Things Are Changing In Nigeria" - FG Tells Nigerians In Diaspora by shakmati(m): 5:57pm On Sep 07, 2018
acenazt:
i'm ineligible for Voting for the next 34 years but my Father will if he does.

God bless your father and by extension, you!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mass Defection To PDP Hits APC In Zaria, Kaduna / Saraki Saves Buhari’s Proposal From Senate rejection / NNPC MD, Baru At A Filling Station In Abuja To Monitor Scarcity Level (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.