Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,908 members, 7,802,952 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:04 AM

Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa (26112 Views)

Lessons We Must Learn From The Emdee Tiamiyu's Saga/blunder. / Ndoni: Story Of Hausa Fishing Community In Rivers / My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by Postingdayinfo: 11:06am On Sep 07, 2018
You might be wondering who and what they are?. But the best way to study any member of nature’s community is to visit its home.

Let me prepare your mind before you read further; you will be reading both the good and bad part of the Northerners (popularly called Hausa) as observed by me, an outsider.

okay, let’s start our funfilled journey into the badlands. These are things I observed during my stay in the north, among the Hausa people;

1. Tolerance

The first thing that amazed me about Hausas during my first day is how slow they are to anger ― with each other especially.

“Mallam, kada kada!!” meaning Mr., Small Small (or easy). That was what I shouted at the bike man conveying me to a destination. He almost hit an oncoming bike. I thought the encounter will result in fists exchange as I have seen in the South and West. To my surprise, the only words they exchanged was a greeting with the smile.

This repeatedly happened in all of the same occurrences I witnessed.

2. Subtle Begging

The first day I saw this well-planned begging style, I was repairing my phone with a Hausa man. A lady with make-over (many of their girls always wear make-up), enters saying greetings to the man. The man gave her N50 and she dipped her hand into a bowl carried by a small boy, bringing out something that looks like beans cake. Oh! I forgot to tell you, there are about seven lads trolling behind her. You still don’t get it?! The children are what they call Almajiris.

She prepares the beans cake (look-like) and distributes the equivalent of the amount of alms she receives to the children. This is a case of using the money to make money.

3. Hardwork

Another way these important tribe in Nigeria caught me off-guard was their business methods and how they try to earn a living. Before my visit to the north, in my thought, I divided the three important tribes in Nigeria based on what I think they are proficient with and in.

Yoruba (Education), Igbo (Business), and Hausa (Farming).

To my utmost surprise, northerners are lovers of business as much as Ibos ― if not more industrious than Ibos. They do any work available with awesome customer service. Their children can be found selling different things ranging from sachet water to chinchin. Seeing the hustle spirit in these kids makes me realize you can survive anywhere, anytime without depending on anybody.

4. Extremely Dominating

I experienced a mixed feeling of surprise and confirmation of my suspicion when I discovered this no. 4 in the Hausas. They are not easily dominated, but they love being dominated. Just like the park of wolves where everyone wants to lead but always bow to the leader chosen.

Whenever there is an argument, they are always in support of the person who appears dominating irrespective of who is right or wrong. This is however different in an instance where a fight ensues between one of them and an outsider; they support their own.

5. Free Feeling Expression

Irrespective of who you are, they always voice their feeling(s) about you, to your face. Maybe that is why they have fewer gossipers ― come on! I wouldn’t know.

6. Copyrights Of Postingday.com

Add yours to the list.

Source: https://postingday.com/2018/08/31/top5-lessons-you-can-learn-from-the-hausa/

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by Bawizzo(m): 3:03pm On Sep 07, 2018
Subtle what
Dox guys can beg for africa

22 Likes

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by Nobody: 3:03pm On Sep 07, 2018
angry

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by Opinionated: 3:03pm On Sep 07, 2018
Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by Nobody: 3:03pm On Sep 07, 2018
Heh.

Number 5 is true sha.
If one of ur eye is blind, hausas will call you "Mai ido daya"
If you have one leg "They will call you gurugu".... Forgetting that u even have name sef.

But i still like them like that sha

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by BruncleZuma: 3:03pm On Sep 07, 2018
grin grin grin grin

1. The yan-daba did not appear out of thin air; someone patronises and uses them.
2. That is not subtle begging ogbeni that is a business and the white thing is called masa
3. You have a limited view of the Hausa with regards to business everyone is a businessman in his/her turf.
4. The hausa-fulani invented systemic racism if you don't know what it means Google it.
5. You know the word guluma was not invented by error...

36 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by projectTopicsNg: 3:03pm On Sep 07, 2018
good
Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by Sweetcollins: 3:04pm On Sep 07, 2018
Impressive
Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by czarina(f): 3:04pm On Sep 07, 2018
Nice

To aid the discourse, check my profile if you live in Jos and Lagos. smiley
Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by Nobody: 3:04pm On Sep 07, 2018
sad

9 Likes

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by johnmattew: 3:04pm On Sep 07, 2018
unity, communalism and hardworking are the attributes of Hausa ppl. u can't separate those attributes from hausa ppl especially those away from home........ in Lagos here u see them accommodating eachother and ready to help their brothers out when in need.u hardly hear it see them competing or outdoing eachother

they aren't desperate unlike my fellow southerners...u hardly great hausa man constituting nuisances abroad.

they are true Nigerians that believe in n and nationality.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by bobokeshington: 3:04pm On Sep 07, 2018
great stuff

2 Likes

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by GentleMoney: 3:04pm On Sep 07, 2018
God bless the Hausas
God bless the Yorubas
God bless the Ibos
God bless Nigeria
ONE LOVE!!!

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by Sarkin: 3:05pm On Sep 07, 2018
These are very true virtues of the northern people OP.

But unfortunately there are some people who swim in the pool of hate that will still say otherwise and rather find solitude in what's repugnant.

Hausas are very good people in the sense that; many people think they are bad and the like and moreover that they are ignorant and uncivilized, the Hausas see a lot of hateful comments and the likes speared towards them in the cyberspace but they, being good people, ignore all those, that's why we don't see a lot of them spewing crap online.

Hausa Amaka!

And moreover everything, they are patriots.

42 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by akeentech(m): 3:05pm On Sep 07, 2018
Hausa women sabi fucck eh?

9 Likes

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by Nobody: 3:06pm On Sep 07, 2018
grin
Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by IPOBrep: 3:06pm On Sep 07, 2018
one thing never to learn from the hausa- ALMAJIRI LIFE STYLE[i][/i]

3 Likes

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by sanandreas(m): 3:06pm On Sep 07, 2018
They can be nice but avoid religious matter like plague with them. That is where major crisis in the North erupts from. One showed me love during sallah, I never expected it. The North would have been the most developed part of Nigeria if not of religious crisis and incessant child birth that they can't take care of.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by Lizilicious(f): 3:06pm On Sep 07, 2018
I wonder why Lai just crossed my mind

1 Like 1 Share

is it the Gworo eating Hausa?

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by pentax(m): 3:06pm On Sep 07, 2018
Hausas are tolerant? Tell me another story

38 Likes

Hausa amaka grin

11 Likes

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by seyigiggle: 3:07pm On Sep 07, 2018
average Hausas are easy going except those foreigners that mix with them in the name of religion

7 Likes

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by Iscoalarcon: 3:07pm On Sep 07, 2018
Hausawa
Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by dollarsplenty(m): 3:07pm On Sep 07, 2018
Ka gama ko? What of free/government money (Kudi banza), political power (siyasa), Kabilanci and averagely more honest than other tribes? Malam Baushe kena!

5 Likes

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by frankdoz22: 3:07pm On Sep 07, 2018
You forget bokoharam, terrorism and forced raped

9 Likes

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by StRichard(m): 3:07pm On Sep 07, 2018
Did he just say tolerance

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by chikids(m): 3:08pm On Sep 07, 2018
I'm yet to get your message, pls come again

3 Likes

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by Omuneizzy6(m): 3:08pm On Sep 07, 2018
Hmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lady Who Wrongly Accused Taxi Driver Of Theft Apologises / 5 Mistakes First-time Travelers Make / Beautiful Pictures From Gombe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.