Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,521 members, 7,801,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:12 PM

NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ (19782 Views)

NCC To Telecom Operators: All SIMs not linked To NIN Must Be Blocked Today / SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria / Telecoms Beg NCC To Block Whatsapp, Skype, IMO And Other OTT Services (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by Mrakeli: 12:30pm On Sep 07, 2018
The Nigerian Communication Commission, says it will impose appropriate sanctions on any telecom operator that allows the illegal masking of international calls.

Call masking refers to termination of international calls with local telephone numbers displayed on a receiver’s phone screen.

Alhaji Ismail Adedigba, Deputy Director, Consumer Affairs Bureau of NCC told News Agency of Nigeria in Yenagoa on Friday that the trend was illegal and fraudulent.

“NCC is focused on the protection of consumers in the telecommunications space in Nigeria and the development of the sector over the years has thrown up contemporary challenges in the industry like call masking.

“We have outlawed it and we encourage subscribers who receive international calls with local numbers showing on their phone screens to report to us in NCC by calling our toll free number 622.

“Calls to 622, are at no cost, we expect them to give us the number displayed so that we can trace the erring operator for appropriate regulatory sanctions.

“Our regulatory mandate includes consumer protection and to shield them from market exploitation and fraud,” Adedigba said.

He said that the NCC was working to acquire appropriate technologies to nip call masking in the bud rather than rely on subscribers reports.

On the limited telephone coverage of telephone services in remote areas, Adedigba said NCC was developing “local roaming” among operators to make telephone service available to subscribers across the networks.

Adedigba who spoke to NAN shortly after NCC’s 98th Consumer Engagement Programme in Yenagoa, noted that following feedback from the session, the commission has urged operators to improve quality of service in Bayelsa.

“Our Consumer Engagement on Thursday in Yenagoa was very fruitful and we felt the pulse of telecommunications subscribers and the challenges facing operators in view of the difficult terrain of the state.

“We got useful suggestions from the subscribers and advised the service providers to take the feedback seriously.

“On our part, we also engage in data collection from all the participants and we shall analyse the data to guide our policy formulation,” he said.

http://www.akelicious.net/2018/09/ncc-to-sanction-telecom-operators-for.html

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by MexxIT(m): 12:38pm On Sep 07, 2018
All of dem are guilty .. I don't know why I'll receive an international call and d ntwrks will decide to display a local number for me

25 Likes

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by Shezkid: 12:57pm On Sep 07, 2018
MexxIT:
All of dem are guilty .. I don't know why I'll receive an international call and d ntwrks will decide to display a local number for me

I swear..

4 Likes

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by sheguy(m): 12:57pm On Sep 07, 2018
Most things about Nigeria is fraud today government is the worst.

3 Likes

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by mercyway: 12:57pm On Sep 07, 2018
its annoying & crazy! I hate that call masking like mad! its crazy especially if you do business with foreign partners you will understand reason why am very furious right now!

22 Likes

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by RurouniKenshin: 12:57pm On Sep 07, 2018
mercyway:
its annoying
How is it annoying?

1 Like

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by Nukilia: 12:58pm On Sep 07, 2018
Nigeria is filled with a corrupt workforce! grin grin grin Why mask international calls? undecided

7 Likes

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by habex005(m): 12:59pm On Sep 07, 2018
Call masking.....
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by Tokziby: 12:59pm On Sep 07, 2018
Foolish people that have used their services to tag people liars.

I can't remember the number of times people have doubted if u still abroad or back home. angry
You just keep explaining urself call after calls. "I'm not back home it's the Nigerian stupid telecoms" all the time. angry

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by mercyway: 1:00pm On Sep 07, 2018
RurouniKenshin:
How is it annoying?
do you do business outside Nigeria? do you normally receives call from overseas?

11 Likes

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by MorataFC: 1:00pm On Sep 07, 2018
MexxIT:
because they consider us being local, such things can not happen in a well organized country grin
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by feldido(m): 1:00pm On Sep 07, 2018
Still try trying to understand what they gain from this act

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by Emytini(m): 1:01pm On Sep 07, 2018
NCC forming to be working yet same old story

1 Like

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by dingbang(m): 1:02pm On Sep 07, 2018
cool wow, thats very good

Meanwhile esteemed first bank customers, y'all can now perform amazing transactions on the first mobile app such as getting soft loans through the app. Click the link on my signature for steps to register and bank your way.

You first
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by RurouniKenshin: 1:04pm On Sep 07, 2018
mercyway:

do you do business outside Nigeria? do you normally receives call from overseas?
Typical. Answering a question with a question.

1 Like

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by BuilderDave: 1:05pm On Sep 07, 2018
whats the purpose of that?

1 Like

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by savio93(m): 1:05pm On Sep 07, 2018
Hmmm.. Abeg, let me report MTN First.

Each time , I receive a call from my mum abroad, it's usually with different numbers... So tey anytime I miss a call from an unknown number...
I would be think it's her call.

But I just realised that her call yesterday wasn't masked...

Let me wait and observe, before I report.

2 Likes

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by GentleMoney: 1:06pm On Sep 07, 2018

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by ifyain: 1:06pm On Sep 07, 2018
NCC should move on, skype, whatsapp ,etc are doing away with geo location. the world have gone digital.
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by ajayiopy: 1:07pm On Sep 07, 2018
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE CALLER DECIDED TO HIDE HIS IDENTITY
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by rawtouch: 1:08pm On Sep 07, 2018
fire line. grin
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by Slymonster(m): 1:09pm On Sep 07, 2018
Nothing worst than you not knowing the call you were expecting came but instead you see a local number with the name kazeem.

7 Likes

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by savio93(m): 1:09pm On Sep 07, 2018
ajayiopy:
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE CALLER DECIDED TO HIDE HIS IDENTITY

I guess, that's different case.

This one is an intentional act by the network providers to block the calling nunber
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by mercyway: 1:09pm On Sep 07, 2018
RurouniKenshin:
Typical. Answering a question with a question.
How would you feel when a foreign company called you with a number but your phone is shoeing a Nigerian number? I had business deal with a Nigerian in USA, the woman called me with her number but I was asking her who she is, imagine that? if nor that I quickly recognize her voice when she sounds embarrassed for asking who she is and I explained what really happens, it would have caused me a lot. That why I asked if you do receive Intl calls

16 Likes

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by Sirpaul(m): 1:10pm On Sep 07, 2018
most especially MTN MTN MTN MTN
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by mercyway: 1:13pm On Sep 07, 2018
Sirpaul:
most especially MTN MTN MTN MTN
the most useless network. German company call me 2 times with the same foreign number but mtn displayed different 2 local numbers each time.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tecno 8H - The Most Affordable Lollipop Tablet / Nigerian Bank Cards Not Working On Google Play / Samsung-Galaxy Note 10.1 Now In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.