Stats: 3,150,033 members, 7,807,070 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:11 AM

NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ (19787 Views)

NCC To Telecom Operators: All SIMs not linked To NIN Must Be Blocked Today / SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria / Telecoms Beg NCC To Block Whatsapp, Skype, IMO And Other OTT Services (2) (3) (4)

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by fixedhollies(m): 1:14pm On Sep 07, 2018
D fault isn’t that of the network providers... if you know how it works you will know. In order to reduce international call rates, international calls are diverted to internet and back to local sims tru terminators.

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by RurouniKenshin: 1:14pm On Sep 07, 2018
mercyway:
How would you feel when a foreign company called you with a number but your phone is shoeing a Nigerian number? I had business deal with a Nigerian in USA, the woman called me with her number but I was asking her who she is, imagine that? if nor that I quickly recognize her voice when she sounds embarrassed for asking who she is and I explained what really happens, it would have caused me a lot. That why I asked if you do receive Intl calls
Now you are talking.
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by Nobody: 1:14pm On Sep 07, 2018
Sanction all you want, they would still mask. Na their way.
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by Viking007(m): 1:15pm On Sep 07, 2018
mercyway:
How would you feel when a foreign company called you with a number but your phone is shoeing a Nigerian number? I had business deal with a Nigerian in USA, the woman called me with her number but I was asking her who she is, imagine that? if nor that I quickly recognize her voice when she sounds embarrassed for asking who she is and I explained what really happens , it would have caused me a lot. That why I asked if you do receive Intl calls
It seems someone else has taken over this moniker. This is not how you normally write. sad
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by mercyway: 1:16pm On Sep 07, 2018
Viking007:
It seems someone else has taken over this moniker. sad
pardon my blunder sir grin

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by Connoisseur(m): 1:16pm On Sep 07, 2018
Call termination companies are the culprits.
Companies like Anthrax offer their services to businessmen to terminate international calls with local nos.
NCC should come to the aid of telecoms not sanction them. That are the major losers. Imagine routing international calls as if they are local and a businessman somewhere reaps the benefits.

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by SeriouslySense(m): 1:17pm On Sep 07, 2018
Attention Please: Take it back brothers and Sisters, Uncles and Aunties, Daddies and Mummies, Sissy and Bro, and Children.

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by Sirpaul(m): 1:19pm On Sep 07, 2018
Called a US line of recent so the man was to call me back the next thing I will see is a local line was even thinking probably he roamed the line .... Mtn useless die
mercyway:
the most useless network. German company call me 2 times with the same foreign number but mtn displayed different 2 local numbers each time.
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by Uwaomaokey(m): 1:19pm On Sep 07, 2018
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by airsaylongcon: 1:20pm On Sep 07, 2018
fixedhollies:
D fault isn’t that of the network providers... if you know how it works you will know. In order to reduce international call rates, international calls are diverted to internet and back to local sims tru terminators.

God bless you for this. Many people ranting here don't know that if the calls were terminated directly it would cost more for people abroad to call us. Meaning less calls from abroad.

NCC will have to and steal my phone for them to find out if I'm getting masked calls

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by GetCofOProperty: 1:20pm On Sep 07, 2018
This isn't a surprise really. Telecoms operators are always scamming subscribers.
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by nadigo(m): 1:24pm On Sep 07, 2018
Awon werey they are just about to get equpment to stop call masking dem wan chop money
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by mercyway: 1:25pm On Sep 07, 2018
Sirpaul:
Called a US line of recent so the man was to call me back the next thing I will see is a local line was even thinking probably he roamed the line .... Mtn useless die
imagine that?
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by airsaylongcon: 1:25pm On Sep 07, 2018
savio93:
Hmmm.. Abeg, let me report MTN First.

Each time , I receive a call from my mum abroad, it's usually with different numbers... So tey anytime I miss a call from an unknown number...
I would be think it's her call.

But I just realised that her call yesterday wasn't masked...

Let me wait and observe, before I report.

Without call masking, you mum would be paying considerably more to call you as FG has included a tax on all foreign calls

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by Oyerinde16(m): 1:27pm On Sep 07, 2018
feldido:
Still try trying to understand what they gain from this act
NCC charges all international outgoing n incoming calls high, local calls have different charge per call, d network operations have found a way to bypass this by displaying local numbers as incoming international calls, thereby paying it as local call. I hope I shed small light

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by FirstCounsel(m): 1:32pm On Sep 07, 2018
I'm curious to know really, what's the advantage of masking international calls for these telecos? There must be some financial advantage/gains or else they would not indulgence in it. Any clues people? Those familiar with the Industry can help clarify. Thanks
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by FirstCounsel(m): 1:32pm On Sep 07, 2018
Oyerinde16:

NCC charges all international outgoing n incoming calls high, local calls have different charge per call, d network operations have found a way to bypass this by displaying local numbers as incoming international calls, thereby paying it as local call. I hope I shed small light
Oh. That's the answer I was seeking. Thanks
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by matson: 1:36pm On Sep 07, 2018
Nigerians are probably the ones routing these calls using GSM Termination and may not be the telecom. GSM Termination is illegal and big business.
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by Blessedpikin(m): 1:40pm On Sep 07, 2018
dingbang:
cool wow, thats very good

Meanwhile esteemed first bank customers, y'all can now perform amazing transactions on the first mobile app such as getting soft loans through the app. Click the link on my signature for steps to register and bank your way.

You first
What's the maximum amount I can transfer using online banking and not mobile banking
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by dfrost: 1:43pm On Sep 07, 2018
ifyain:
NCC should move on, skype, whatsapp ,etc are doing away with geo location. the world have gone digital.

Correct. I'm even tired of using them. Skype calls and chats, WhatsApp calls and chats have taken over.
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by alfa0: 1:48pm On Sep 07, 2018
airsaylongcon:

God bless you for this. Many people ranting here don't know that if the calls were terminated directly it would cost more for people abroad to call us. Meaning less calls from abroad.

NCC will have to and steal my phone for them to find out if I'm getting masked calls

I don't think so, I have been receiving international calls for many years now. I have not seen any reduction in call rates as a result of this masking rather I pay more now.
As a matter of fact,i have asked my callers from US and none have seen any reduction too.
As regards the topic, I just received an international call about 30 mins ago still same Nigerian number appeared so I called NNC on the above number.
The person that received my call talk like this news never exists.infact she was actually sounding like she wants to defend the operators. As soon as I demanded to know her stand, she said it could be roaming.
So I don't want to believe this news yet.

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by pat077: 1:49pm On Sep 07, 2018
Why do our telecom coy do this
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by matrixme(m): 1:54pm On Sep 07, 2018
idiotic NCC. the last time I called their useless call centre to report how Airtel duped me, the agent was literally mocking me over the phone. He later called a string of long useless numbers for me to write down to"track" the request. Up till tomorrow, nothing has happened. If you have better things to do with your time, don't call NCC Call centre. I repeat, DON'T CALL NCC CALL CENTRE!!!!
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by VULCAN(m): 2:43pm On Sep 07, 2018
And who diverts the calls??

fixedhollies:
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by VULCAN(m): 2:45pm On Sep 07, 2018
Have you confirmed that the telcos pass such savings along to the subscriber?

airsaylongcon:

Without call masking, you mum would be paying considerably more to call you as FG has included a tax on all foreign calls

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by fixedhollies(m): 2:48pm On Sep 07, 2018
VULCAN:
And who diverts the calls??

people like you and me, if you want to know about the business talk to me privately.
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by MayorofLagos(m): 2:55pm On Sep 07, 2018
feldido:
Still try trying to understand what they gain from this act

Telecommunication calls are complex and involves different layers to make it work smoothly.

International calls are transported over carrier trunks. To get from abroad to Nigeria it will go through Interconnection Carriers. There is Originating Carrier and Terminating Carrier. The carriers make money by tolling the calls in their switch and settle the billing with the originating carrier. Originating carrier are paid by the person that made the call. The call is charged for setup and talk time. International calls nowadays are cheap compared to years ago.
When a call enters a Nigerian Toll switch the carrier for that switch will do a dip in the signal to obtain originating number and terminating number. This number can be handled or processed in a number of ways. It can be delivered as anonymous, it can be delivered with a name and number, it can be delivered as just name or just number and they can strip the originating number and forward it with a new but local number. If they do that, two things happen on the billing side.

1. The international call is billed 100% by their toll switch.
2. The receiver of the call in Nigeria is billed by the local number that delivered the call to their phone.

This double billing and thats their gain on the call itself. They also gain by remitting less tax than the accounted calls demand.

On regulatory side (NCC), government two things happen also.

1. Accounting is wrong
2. Forensic investigation to tail an offending caller or criminal events is affected.

On the user end it is frustrating because like some of you said it erodes credibility and muddles up international relations.

Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by GoldHorse(m): 3:35pm On Sep 07, 2018
Tokziby:
Foolish people that have used their services to tag people liars.

I can't remember the number of times people have doubted if u still abroad or back home. angry
You just keep explaining urself call after calls. "I'm not back home it's the Nigerian stupid telecoms" all the time. angry

I can relate with this one o!!! grin grin grin

After a few of these call masking issues one of my wife's auntie thought I was pretending to be abroad and that I probably was hidden somewhere in one Naija village. She went as far as "doing" amebo of her highly classified secret investigative findings to my father in law cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by dingbang(m): 3:45pm On Sep 07, 2018
Blessedpikin:

What's the maximum amount I can transfer using online banking and not mobile banking
one million naira and above
Re: NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ by airsaylongcon: 3:57pm On Sep 07, 2018
VULCAN:
Have you confirmed that the telcos pass such savings along to the subscriber?

The foreign caller is the one that gets the savings. That way, Nigerians in the diaspora don't get to spend an arm and a leg calling their loved ones in Nigeria. The federal government was trying to tax them via their calls

Infinix S5 Full Specifications / Learn How To Develop Android Apps With Your Android Phone / Tecno 8H - The Most Affordable Lollipop Tablet