Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,760 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:29 PM

COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia (48748 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Hotstepper(f): 5:52am On Jul 10, 2010
@ucheawesom, glad u understood my point that nowhere is perfect but depends on the person involved,
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Medlabgirl: 6:34am On Jul 10, 2010
I see that a lot of people have somewhat redirected the course of this thread. I cannot say it is derailed, more like gone off track.

I have to say once more, that I NEVER asked anyone to leave their current domiciles and move to Canada. If people who are talking about the US and the UK against Canada blah blah had taken a minute to read the initial post, or even just look at the topic summary, they would have seen that this thread was directed AT PEOPLE WHO ARE ALREADY PLANNING TO COME TO CANADA angry I did not even say that people should move from within Canada to BC. At one point, I further said that if your job does not constrain you, then BC is as good a place as any, for aforementioned reasons. I will not continue to quote myself.

I do not care if you drink tea with Mama Charlie three times a day, or if your cell phones are free of charge, or even if you get your bottom wiped by Buckingham  Palace goonies after you go; you couldn't pay me enough to live in the UK!! It doesn't work for me! Same way I could not live in the US, But guess what, that is just me. That is my choice. Good enough, we are all free to make those same choices. So lets get it right please.

If you are not able to negotiate a cell phone plan that allows your incoming calls free, then you might want to look inwards. There are even unlimited talk and text plans for about $20 so please do your homework before you talk. But then if one cannot read a simple thread and interprete it correctly, then a cell phone plan could very well be hieroglyphics

I say, and will continue to say that I think that BC is a lovely place to live, with a vibrant economy, and opportunities to do well. We are supposed to be educated people, so please lets hone our research skills if we want to thrive in today's world. There is a massive amount of information out there, and we would be well served to learn to filter stuff.

I will say again that I stand by everything I have said. People make things appear to be more difficult than they actually are. It is not that difficult to integrate into this society if l may paraphrase Canuck its what you learn here that will take you a long way.

Thank you Canuck for your very insightful and helpful comments. Thank you also Delta007 for your piece per the Eastern Provinces. It was good.

Everyone else, seriously if you are moving to or planning to come to Canada, consider BC. I rest my case.

1 Like

Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by tunnytox(m): 9:37am On Jul 10, 2010
Hotstepper:

@tunnytox, I hope I did not sound as if I am defending Canada cuz I am very neutral with things. No single country is perfect that's why one man's food is another's poison.

@ hotstepper, nothing do you my sister, you've always been spot on with your posts
@Medlabgirl
Sorry your majesty if you think I derailed your thread, I know you pay so much money to Seun to open this thread, grin grin I was only responding to ucheawesom post after sensing he might get carried away by your nice post on BC. Responses to any thread opened tends to deviate sometimes and I'm sure that you'll notice that some responses to your posts on BC also came from people living outside Canada too who are already carried away by your positive pictures on BC and are already falling in love with Canada.

Also, I think I'll feel honoured to drink tea with her majesty just for once and not even thrice a day! grin grin who knows I might even bagged an MBE, lol
at the end of the day individual choices depend on what suits them most especially as it concerns their long term goals, objectives, dreams and aspirations.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by switchmax8: 10:47am On Jul 10, 2010
poster,
can you help me get details of colleges of technology with lower sch fee for international student?If yes,kindly have their websites post here or send to my email thanks
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by mylove007: 3:24pm On Jul 10, 2010
Waoo, i have been looking around for this kind of thread that gives insight of a particular place in Canada. I intend to work and live in Canada come 2011 (by the Grace of God). I am a certified professional in both Oracle and Microsoft certifications since 2000 which makes me 10 years practising in IT.
I inted going to Canada this way:
Look for a seminar or traning on Oracle or Microsoft modlues that would be for 4 weeks. During that 4 weeks, will look around for a job and possibly change my visit visa to Work permit.
Do you think that will be possible?

No insults please, I need your reponse.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by debosky(m): 4:11pm On Jul 10, 2010
No it won't be possible - apply for permanent residence and then emigrate to Canada.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Medlabgirl: 4:33pm On Jul 10, 2010
mylove007:

Waoo, i have been looking around for this kind of thread that gives insight of a particular place in Canada. I intend to work and live in Canada come 2011 (by the Grace of God). I am a certified professional in both Oracle and Microsoft certifications since 2000 which makes me 10 years practising in IT.
I inted going to Canada this way:
Look for a seminar or traning on Oracle or Microsoft modlues that would be for 4 weeks. During that 4 weeks, will look around for a job and possibly change my visit visa to Work permit.
Do you think that will be possible?

No insults please, I need your reponse.

You could certainly do that, but why would you want to? Your field is well sought after see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/itw-jobs.asp#jobs1.

Debosky abeg now, you know that there are many people who have gone that route.

It probably would not be worth the stress of a status change, and you might be better off just applying for Permanent Residence as an IT worker, but we are not in your shoes and don't know what corns and\or bunions you may have grin. It is ultimately your decision to make.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Medlabgirl: 4:42pm On Jul 10, 2010
tunnytox:

@Medlabgirl
Sorry your majesty if you think I derailed your thread, I know you pay so much money to Seun to open this thread, grin grin I was only responding to ucheawesom post after sensing he might get carried away by your nice post on BC. Responses to any thread opened tends to deviate sometimes and I'm sure that you'll notice that some responses to your posts on BC also came from people living outside Canada too who are already carried away by your positive pictures on BC and are already falling in love with Canada.

Also, I think I'll feel honoured to drink tea with her majesty just for once and not even thrice a day! grin grin who knows I might even bagged an MBE, lol
at the end of the day individual choices depend on what suits them most especially as it concerns their long term goals, objectives, dreams and aspirations.

HA! Tunnytox you are one FunnyFox! I see that before you married you were a toaster wink Your ogogoro no go fit make me stagger oh!

No hard feelings bro, true. See, we even agree that in the the long run everything boils down to individual choices.

Anyway when they give you that MBE, I will come and take pisho with you.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by mylove007: 4:50pm On Jul 10, 2010
Thanks soo much for your reply. Also, i am appreciate your response. I am so sorry for asking this: How do i apply for a permament resident permit becasue i live in Nigeria. Is it an application, filled and probably sent to Accra which sometime takes 3 years or more before approval?
Please explain. God bless you
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Medlabgirl: 4:53pm On Jul 10, 2010
switchmax8:

poster,
can you help me get details of colleges of technology with lower sch fee for international student?If yes,kindly have their websites post here or send to my email thanks

I dey go Naija birthday party today oh, maybe when I come back.

That is quite a good question actually because people tend to hire students from schools like BCIT www.bcit.ca before conventional university graduates because of the hands on training that Tech schools offer. They may however not be cheaper than Unis, just offer shorter length programs.

Ok you get a head start by googling "Schools of Technology in Canada" and I will help you along the way. Please don't forget to post your findings for others to refer to.

Later
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Medlabgirl: 4:58pm On Jul 10, 2010
@ML007 please look around very carefully on the website in my earlier response, then lets talk when you are done.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by mylove007: 5:55pm On Jul 10, 2010
Medlabgirl:

@ML007 please look around very carefully on the website in my earlier response, then lets talk when you are done. You can also email or IM me on medlabgirl@live.com, After you're done checking out that website.

kindly check your email for my reply. Thank you
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Medlabgirl: 6:43pm On Jul 10, 2010
@Medlabgirl
Please what's your take on an academic career in Canada? the best region? I intend to have my postdoc in Canada and subsequently settle there working as a scientist come university professor or research scientist in pharmac industry.Meanwhile I would be visiting soon to work in a laboratory for some months, and I was wondering where you would pick as an ideal place. I am a mol biologist soon to finish a doctorate in italy, well i am a people person and would like a place where I can meet fellow Nigerians.

Sorry for the Tardy reply, I only just saw your post.

I would come in for your Postdoc like you intend to, and then go on from there. At the risk of having my head chopped off, I will tell you that BC is often referred to as The Education Province. I also believe that as someone pointed out earlier, Biologists are among the 29 professions that get accelerated resident permit procedures. You might also want to check that out.

The best thing however is to come in here, and then make your decisions after the fact. Also you will be among your academic peers, and that will be invaluable. Let me know when you get here. Between your colleagues, you and myself we should be able to find a direction, else we can always ask Canuck. He's the research guru.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by lakexider: 5:24pm On Jul 11, 2010

1 Like

Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by symbian03(m): 10:49pm On Jul 11, 2010
@Lakexider, you can definitely marry oyinbo pikin lol.smiley must be a legitimate marriage anyways, not just marriage for papers. Also you must have kept a long list of how you communicates. Not just hit the club today, get a girl and marriage tomorrow;-)
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by lakexider: 1:51am On Jul 12, 2010
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by blackspade(m): 8:39am On Jul 12, 2010
All of Canada's growing, but AFAIK the two most booming provinces are Saskatchewan and Alberta, right?
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by debosky(m): 12:34pm On Jul 12, 2010
Medlabgirl:

[b]You could certainly do that, but why would you want to? Your field is well sought after see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/itw-jobs.asp#jobs1.

Appearing on a government website and getting the job in reality are two different matters - we both know that.

Debosky abeg now, you know that there are many people who have gone that route.

I don't deny people get jobs, but how many people who came on a course and got a job offer in 4 weeks and change status in country? This happens only in exceptional circumstances, and even then, I doubt you can get it done in a mere 4 weeks - the process of RENEWING a visa takes at least half as long, not even getting a fresh work visa.

I am simply being realistic here - thinking it can be done in 4 weeks is seeking to do the near impossible - like you said, the best route is to apply for permanent residence and then come in that way.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Delta007(m): 2:33pm On Jul 12, 2010
debosky:

Appearing on a government website and getting the job in reality are two different matters - we both know that.

I don't deny people get jobs, but how many people who came on a course and got a job offer in 4 weeks and change status in country? This happens only in exceptional circumstances, and even then, I doubt you can get it done in a mere 4 weeks - the process of RENEWING a visa takes at least half as long, not even getting a fresh work visa.

I am simply being realistic here - thinking it can be done in 4 weeks is seeking to do the near impossible - like you said, the best route is to apply for permanent residence and then come in that way.
It's not even near impossible. 4wks? It is impossible. Someone coming from Nigeria on a Visitor's Visa will need to undergo medicals to obtain a Temporary stay (Student, Worker, etc). The person has to apply to Buffalo; Buffalo then acknowledges the application and if everything looks legit, they'd ask the fellow to undergo medicals. The medicals are all sent to a central place in Ottawa where there are uploaded. Everything goes well, then Buffalo sends you a letter approving your application and you;d have to go to the border to get the SP or WP. This takes at least 3mths. All thru this process, the person has to remain in status in Canada.
The only way you can change status is if the border agent gives the fellow the usual 6mths Visitors stay when he/she arrives at the airport. These days, they have been purposely giving less; 6mths is more than enough to change your status. Otherwise, the person will need to renew his/her stay; and for one to renew a visitor's stay, you have to prove that you carried out what you initially came for and that particular business is making you stay longer (or something else came up).

Medlabgirl:

Everyone else, seriously if you are moving to or planning to come to Canada, consider BC. I rest my case.
That's more like it; "Consider" is the keyword. Not "COMING TO CANADA Choose British Columbia".
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by member65: 2:59pm On Jul 12, 2010
Medlabgirl:

I actually prefered your title. "CHOOSE BC". You are entitled to your opinion which I think has been helpful to several folks. Let the folks attacking your thread start theirs. I very much hate the crab mentality that exists with several Nigerians. Everywhere I go, I'll always make sure to amplify the voices of people like you and shoot down those who are bent on being anti because of over sabi. Common, Look at the Chinese, Ethiopians, Arabs, caucasians, etc they share information and their people are progressing and owning successful businesses. But guess what the first job of an average Nigerian would be, pick holes in noble intentions, attack or discredit the person. At least applaud the person, encourage them and in a loving way if they made mistakes, correct and provide solutions. I tire for these our people, Seriously,

1 Like

Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Medlabgirl: 6:17pm On Jul 12, 2010
Delta007:

It's not even near impossible. 4wks? It is impossible. Someone coming from Nigeria on a Visitor's Visa will need to undergo medicals to obtain a Temporary stay (Student, Worker, etc). The person has to apply to Buffalo; Buffalo then acknowledges the application and if everything looks legit, they'd ask the fellow to undergo medicals. The medicals are all sent to a central place in Ottawa where there are uploaded. Everything goes well, then Buffalo sends you a letter approving your application and you;d have to go to the border to get the SP or WP. This takes at least 3mths. All thru this process, the person has to remain in status in Canada.
The only way you can change status is if the border agent gives the fellow the usual 6mths Visitors stay when he/she arrives at the airport. These days, they have been purposely giving less; 6mths is more than enough to change your status. Otherwise, the person will need to renew his/her stay; and for one to renew a visitor's stay, you have to prove that you carried out what you initially came for and that particular business is making you stay longer (or something else came up).

That's more like it; "Consider" is the keyword. Not "COMING TO CANADA Choose British Columbia".

Delta007 now you are being nitpicky. I am not going to split hairs and start to dissect my choice of words. I do mean CHOOSE BC.

@ Debosky, Now where in my post that you read oh so carefully did I say that ML007 or anybody would be able to get a status change in 4 weeks? Did you happen to catch the word EXTEND that I used so frequently as I posted?

_________:

I actually prefered your title. "CHOOSE BC". You are entitled to your opinion which I think has been helpful to several folks. Let the folks attacking your thread start theirs. I very much hate the crab mentality that exists with several Nigerians. Everywhere I go, I'll always make sure to amplify the voices of people like you and shoot down those who are bent on being anti because of over sabi. Common, Look at the Chinese, Ethiopians, Arabs, caucasians, etc they share information and their people are progressing and owning successful businesses. But guess what the first job of an average Nigerian would be, pick holes in noble intentions, attack or discredit the person. At least applaud the person, encourage them and in a loving way if they made mistakes, correct and provide solutions. I tire for these our people, Seriously,

@________ This is exactly my point! If I can help one person, that person helps another, and so on, before long, we too would have built something significant. Again, nothing that is worth doing is that easy, hence the wisdom of God in giving us backbones, so that we can stand. Where is the joy in prospering alone? Even eating a meal by yourself is no fun. We know how things are done. Let us make things as easy as possible for others. Everyone complains like crazy about how bad things are in Nigeria, how Nigerians are terrible everywhere, woof woof blah blah; but nobody wants to lift a finger and attempt to make a difference. Don't get me started jare! Everyone cooperates but Nigerians! I think we should all do our little bit to help whomever we can, and as much as it is within our power to do so.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by debosky(m): 8:50pm On Jul 12, 2010
Medlabgirl:

@ Debosky, Now where in my post that you read oh so carefully did I say that ML007 or anybody would be able to get a status change in 4 weeks? Did you happen to catch the word EXTEND that I used so frequently as I posted?

Biko my love, no vex. I didn't see it in your reply to ml007 hence my reply. . . your beauty must have blinded me. grin

@________ This is exactly my point! If I can help one person, that person helps another, and so on, before long, we too would have built something significant. Again, nothing that is worth doing is that easy, hence the wisdom of God in giving us backbones, so that we can stand. Where is the joy in prospering alone? Even eating a meal by yourself is no fun. We know how things are done. Let us make things as easy as possible for others. Everyone complains like crazy about how bad things are in Nigeria, how Nigerians are terrible everywhere, woof woof blah blah; but nobody wants to lift a finger and attempt to make a difference. Don't get me started jare! Everyone cooperates but Nigerians! I think we should all do our little bit to help whomever we can, and as much as it is within our power to do so.

I agree fully - inasmuch as we're trying to help people, we should also paint a complete picture. Many people who live/lived in Canada such as Delta, Hotstepper and others have been giving useful advice to those seeking to go to Canada on the other threads on this forum. Some of the 'caution' you might hear is simply trying to prevent others making mistakes that we might have made in our own pursuits.

I enjoyed my time in BC greatly - if anyone needs advice on attending university in BC, especially UBC/Simon Fraser, I'll do my best to assist.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Medlabgirl: 2:53am On Jul 13, 2010
[b]^^^^^
I agree with you completely Debosky, yes we must be cautious; and I hope I have not painted a utopic picture, because as we all know, there is no such place.

I have felt a lot of pride in those other NLanders who try to help, and I just wanted to do my bit too. A lot of people have been discouraged by some of us who had it so difficult in our time we want to make sure nobody else attempts the journey. We forget that since we have already suffered those things, we must make sure that those behind us do not go over the same bumps in the road, even if just for posterity sake.

"I enjoyed my time in BC greatly - if anyone needs advice on attending university in BC, especially UBC/Simon Fraser, I'll do my best to assist."

Excellent! we should put this advice given on our portfolios as "Career/Life Counselling Volunteer"

debosky:

Biko my love, no vex. I didn't see it in your reply to ml007 hence my reply. . . your beauty must have blinded me. grin
[/b]

I don hear! your emu cannot catch me oh grin
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by JagaJaga1: 2:40am On Jul 15, 2010
@mikkyangel i thought you said that you got a 2 year visa fromPoland to the US. I dont think these are issues to joke with because i am thinking of studying in Poland and moving to the US on a 2 year visa after the master program.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by safer23(m): 3:22am On Jul 15, 2010
Please everybody in this room i beg of you, Is there any school with quite minimal school fees and can be paid in installment?
@Medlabgirl Please can i have your e-mail, there are some things i will like to find out from you personally mine is ade_ade_01@yahoo.com or @hotmail.com
I do really appreciate you guys in this room.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by ucheawesom: 1:18am On Jul 16, 2010
Pls all,
I am in the process of applying for tha Canada permanent residency for someone right now.
we have arranged for the Language test.
Now my questions are:

she is a nurse (RN) trained in Nigeria.Has been working in that capacity for close to two years now.
Which category of the application shld i apply(federal skilled or highly skilled) category?

I read from the canada website that they accept a maximum of 20000 application per year and select a maximum of 1000 per occupation in the federal skilled category.
Now i want to ask is there any a particular time that one needs to apply in order to meet up with this maximum limit of application to be accepted?

I will appreciate ur contribution.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by rubenic(m): 12:06pm On Jul 17, 2010
hello house, this is a great thread smiley. I'm about to apply for Canadian visa under the federal skill program. I'm a biological scientist precisely a Microbiologist. i really need info about Canada:housing,job opportunity for a biological scientist etc
Note:biological sciences has just (25 June,2010) been included in the recent 29 federal work list
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by mikkyangel(m): 4:29am On Jul 19, 2010
[@mikkyangel i thought you said that you got a 2 year visa fromPoland to the US. I dont think these are issues to joke with because i am thinking of studying in Poland and moving to the US on a 2 year visa after the master program.

Yes i did and am currently in Califonia, ,but mennnn Canada is after my heart, i still won enter dt country,

Medlabgirl,
pls i need answers, is it posible to get a job offer as a tourist in Canada then fly back to n9ja to apply for the federal skilled thing?
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Medlabgirl: 5:57pm On Jul 19, 2010
^^^^^
You asked me to email you, and I did, which I never usually do as I think everyone should share on here so we all learn stuff; you never emailed back. The ball is in your court mikkyangel.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by mikkyangel(m): 5:23am On Jul 20, 2010
ok medlabgirl, nor mind me,am sending my mail now, i actually wanted to keep it open/public,but if u insist,
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by tunnytox(m): 11:09am On Jul 20, 2010
@ ucheawesom & rubenic
guys please if you really want to apply either for yourself or siblings do it as soon as possible. You may be aware that under the new rules recently introduced (I think on June 26th, 2010) application will only be accepted for a maximum 1000 applicants per each occupation. I'm sure you'll agree with me that these spaces will be taken up in no time especially by many asian applicants, so time is running out!

Remember always visit: www.cic.gc.ca before submitting your application

@Medlagirl
How your side?
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Medlabgirl: 12:58pm On Jul 21, 2010
^^^^ Tunnytox, I dey Kampe, thanks for asking; how you dey?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Efam: Soldier Burnt To Death In An Accident Inside Military Cantonment / Benin Republic Deports Many Nigerians (Video, Photos) / Day And Night Pictures Of Abuja Satellite area

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.