Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,802,006 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:45 AM

US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final (28918 Views)

Anthony Joshua Loses To Oleksandr Usyk By Unanimous Decision / Serena Williams In Tears After Semi-final Loss To Naomi Osaka (Photos, Video) / Serena Williams Defeats Naomi Osaka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Anduku: 11:02pm On Sep 08, 2018
Serena Williams had a shot to make history on Saturday at the US Open, as a victory over Naomi Osaka in the women's singles final would've given her 24 career Grand Slam singles titles, tying the all-time record held by Australia's Margaret Court. However, the 20-year-old Osaka upset Williams to take home the first major victory of her pro career. Her win was also historic in its own right, as Osaka becomes the first Japanese woman to win a Grand Slam final.

Osaka is now two for two in matches against Williams after beating her at the Miami Open in March earlier this year. On Saturday at Arthur Ashe Stadium in New York, Osaka took down Williams in consecutive sets, 6-2, 6-4.

Osaka got off to a commanding start in the first set, then prevailed in what turned out to be a controversial second set. As Serena was attempted to play herself back into the match, she was penalized a game because her coach was allegedly making hand signals, which results in code violation. Chair umpire Carlos Ramos leveled a game penalty for the coaching violation, which left Williams incensed.

She smashed her racket on the court, which resulted in another violation, before demanding an apology from Ramos.

"You owe me an apology. I have never cheated in my life! I have a daughter and I stand for what's right for her," Williams told Ramos on the court. "I don't cheat to win. I'd rather lose."

"This has happened to me before. This is not fair. There are a lot of men out here who have said a lot of things and do not get that punishment. Because I am a woman you are going to take this away from me? That is not right."

Shortly after, Williams surrendered that second set and the match went to Osaka.

For Williams, this is her second runner-up finish since returning to tennis following the birth of her daughter. She also finished second at Wimbledon this July, falling to Angelique Kerber in the final.

https://www.cbssports.com/tennis/news/us-open-2018-serena-williams-falls-to-naomi-osaka-in-controversial-final-marred-by-penalty/

1 Like

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by CapitanS: 11:10pm On Sep 08, 2018
Very pathetic by Serena to play the "because I am a woman" card.You were caught cheating and penalized and all you can do is try to play the gender card? What a clown!!

137 Likes 4 Shares

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Masama: 11:13pm On Sep 08, 2018
Congrats to Osaka, she deserved the victory.

31 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 11:14pm On Sep 08, 2018
dis girl must be commended for beating serena twice i hope her fans dont say its after childbirth effects anyway congrats to osaka she deserves some accolades

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by WolvyX5: 11:15pm On Sep 08, 2018
The younger Osaka really had her number.

6 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Anduku: 11:22pm On Sep 08, 2018
CapitanS:
Very pathetic by Serena to play the "because I am a woman" card.You were caught cheating and penalized and all you can do is try to play the gender card? What a clown!!

To add to that she went on a rant and called the umpire a liar and a thief, I think she will be penalized further for her behaviour

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by countwell: 11:28pm On Sep 08, 2018
Good, make another person win biko, no be every time Serena go dey win

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Gullah: 11:33pm On Sep 08, 2018
Serena seems more interested in being an activist than concentrating on her game, she stupidly threw away this game in my opinion

24 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by pweshdodo(m): 11:49pm On Sep 08, 2018
She really tried you know
I want her to be my baby mama
I just love her..

Serena I love you

3 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Zuorom: 11:54pm On Sep 08, 2018
She lost again? sad
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Hanji(m): 12:03am On Sep 09, 2018
Her losing spirit is synonymous to that of cristiano ronaldo both are sore losers.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by SamuelAnyawu(m): 5:12am On Sep 09, 2018
Because i'm a woman? grin

Lemme keep quiet lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by BUSHHUNTER: 5:13am On Sep 09, 2018
Naomi Osaka

That's the real small girl big God

And not those dumb girls without any profession/occupation who only have puzz! to offer for money!

36 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Ebirra: 5:19am On Sep 09, 2018
Women always playing the victim card since 1960, one question though, was she playing against a Man undecided

Just imagine Osaka won her first major grandslam, just that attention seeking bi*CH manage to steal the shows. Why is it her picture on the trend? Where is the winners picture?

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Paollo: 5:24am On Sep 09, 2018
CapitanS:

Do you even watch tennis? Did you even watch this match? Don't just sit there and type because you have free data to. The match was irregular

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by drey69(m): 5:24am On Sep 09, 2018
Congrats to Osaka on a good, well deserved victory. End of an Era.

First it was Messi, now it's Serena Williams. The GOATs are leaving

22 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by HAH: 5:24am On Sep 09, 2018
Serena was very rude , she called the umpire a thief to the hearing of everyone all the umpire did was to penalize her for court coaching as clearly we saw her coach giving her signs which is prohibited in tennis, the other offence was smashing her racket.

If it was in football she could have gotten a red card for it and clearly naomi Osaka was a better player in the night.

Most annoying part is playing the gender card probably to gather sympathy, very sore loser

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by tetralogyfallot(m): 5:27am On Sep 09, 2018
Still celebrating Serena. Its not easy to be a first runner at her age she deserve some accolades.

12 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by lunacol(m): 5:29am On Sep 09, 2018
So much ego from Serena Williams.There are rules that guide a game.You went against the rules and wanted to play the gender card. Osaka is also a woman and deserve those points from the penalty.Change is constant.Congratulations Osaka.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by HAH: 5:31am On Sep 09, 2018
Paollo:

Do you even watch tennis? Did you even watch this match? Don't just sit there and type because you have free data to. The match was irregular
how was it irregular ? Tell us, I watched that matches every second

12 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Felixv: 5:33am On Sep 09, 2018
Congrats to Serena and Naomi. 23grandslams. And first one for Naomi.

I really wonder how the Japanese would feel - a dark skinned Japanese girl Fathered by a Haitian

25 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by kunmiiii: 5:35am On Sep 09, 2018
These comments reeks of disgust, Serena wasn't playing a victim card, Ramos definitely went too far with the code violations and he was biased, it was glaring to the extent that the whole stadium booed him and N.Osaka when she was handed the trophy.

It was sexism at its peak, becos male counterparts like Nadal and especially Nick Kyrgios have done waaayyyy much worse than that.

If u really watch tennis, you will know Serena's style of play, she always conserves energy by conceding in the first few sets but unleashes her inner beast by always coming back to win.She's a phenomenal athlete, definitely not a sore loser and was evidenced by how she gracefully comforted Osaka and was hushing the whole stadium when they all turned against the little girl.

62 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by tenmariner: 5:38am On Sep 09, 2018
Congrats to Naomi Osaka
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by obaataaokpaewu: 5:41am On Sep 09, 2018
Because you are a woman? At least you were playing with your fellow woman

5 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by bigtt76(f): 5:43am On Sep 09, 2018
Exactly! She should have retired long time ago. She can't expect to be winning against girls of her age when she first became champion ....should by now be mentoring young American girls instead she wan compete with them. Now playing the 'because I'm a woman' card haba! Come join her daughter put sef undecided

CapitanS:

5 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by kunmiiii: 5:44am On Sep 09, 2018
Paollo:

Na flock effect na, everyone rushing to conclusion for likes!

Serena was clearly cheated, even Ramos couldn't wait after the match for pictures, he was booed off...baba no even wait collect hin own prize.

8 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by omocalabar(m): 5:46am On Sep 09, 2018
Just like c. Ronaldo, u want to turn the title to ur birthright abi?....anyway she's human

2 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Ahmeduana(m): 5:55am On Sep 09, 2018
Have never seen a coloured Japanese.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by NIGERIAJAGAJAGA: 5:56am On Sep 09, 2018
Paollo:

u have time to ans them sha. but still thank u for letting them know. is it today Serena has been winning grand slam? don't she knows the rules of the game ni? but many people wunt know anything, but just be typing rubbish because they think everyone is a loser like them.

6 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Hopebringer: 5:56am On Sep 09, 2018
PhenomenalMorgan:
dis girl must be commended for beating serena twice i hope her fans dont say its after childbirth effects anyway congrats to osaka she deserves some accolades

Come on, are.you saying child birth doesn't ?

3 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by NIGERIAJAGAJAGA: 5:58am On Sep 09, 2018
kunmiiii:

Na flock effect na, everyone rushing to conclusion for likes!

Serena was clearly cheated, even the Ramos couldn't wait after the match for pictures, he was booed out.
don't mind them, they don't want her to tie with greatest of all time ni.

4 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by NIGERIAJAGAJAGA: 6:01am On Sep 09, 2018
HAH:
how was it irregular ? Tell us, I watched that matches every second
lol. if u watched the match truly, I don't expect u to type dis kind trash even if u hate William. why did fans booed Ramos off.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Chichi Igbo's Sister Dies, She Mourns, Takes Down All Her Posts On Instagram / Exclusive Pictures From The Lagos Marathon 2017 / 2019 AFCON Referee: Sidi Alioum Gets Heroes Welcome In Cameroon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.