Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,879 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:08 AM

Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? (30504 Views)

Catholic Priests Protest In Akure Over Killing Of Priests In Benue By Herdsmen / Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married / What Is The Work Of Reverend Sisters In The Catholic Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by Nwaikuku2(m): 2:10pm On Sep 09, 2018
Remove that picture or the wrath of God await u!
Fukafuka:
grin
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Sep 09, 2018
Ist Corinthians 7: 32-35

Read it up by yourself smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by Blacknight28: 2:18pm On Sep 09, 2018
unitysheart:

Keep deceiving yourselves. There were apostles that were married in the first century CE.

I can even categorically say that the Catholic church brought in so many traditions that were alien to the original Christianity or even Judaism, where Christianity emanated from.

At the end of the day, after claiming they are celibate, they go on defiling innocent young children, both male and female, whereas, God and Jesus did not forbid them from getting married. After all, Apostle Paul said it may be better generally y to remain a virgin or single so that one can propagate the truth. He however added thay if you cannot hold body please get married.

It ia even understandable why some didnt get married in the times of the apostles. The gospel had not gone viral back then and those taking the lead may need to travel far and thus leaving their families behind. But is that the same situation today? Far from it.

Meanwhile, We know for certain that Peter was married because he had a mother-in-law (Matthew 8:14). The apostle Paul, who was not married, asked the Corinthians whether he also did not have the right to take a believing wife (1 Corinthians 9:5), as did “the other apostles and the Lord's brothers and Cephas [Peter].” From this, we can assume that Peter was not the only one to have a wife.

Lastly, the qualifications for elders and deacons include references to their marriages and families (1 Timothy 3:1–13; Titus 1:5–9). These qualifications do not require that church leaders be married, but they do certainly demonstrate that many were.

With reference to your 3rd paragraph, no one is forced into priesthood, it's a divine vocation one goes into knowing fully well what it is all about and the sacrifices one must make.
A priest who feels He can not continue with his work as a priest because of his sexual desire have every right to resign, and for those Reverend Fathers accused of sexual immoralities it is not you that called them to the vineyard of God, let Him that called them judge them.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by streamsofjoy(f): 2:31pm On Sep 09, 2018
Rinato:
SORRY dear but no one has rubbished the catholic church and no one can. out of the abundance of heart speaks the mouth they say.

all that have been said here so far exudes CONFUSION IGNORANCE and PAIN of INFERIORITY by pentecostal inconsequentials who will never know unless they ask nicely and who will never find unless they seek. so this affects no one but them. it's their PAIN

Well, in the spirit of the advice I just gave I'll just refuse further comments on this issue and pray about it. it's been a burden. We ain't supposed to be this divided. Shalom

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by wingmanII: 2:39pm On Sep 09, 2018
12345baba:
to add to that serving Christ honorably and having a wife at home na two major work. As a married man sometimes ur wife drives u nuts. Marriage na full time work that might serve as a distraction and temptation in the lords house

Gbam!
Catholic priests are shepherds of the laity, who they must look after like their children . They cannot afford to have their own family cause they will be forced to give those priority.
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by wingmanII: 2:44pm On Sep 09, 2018
deliveryboy:
An Igbo adage says "it is the anus of a young boy that will suffer if a matured man decides to be a catholic priest"- Chinua Achebe
You are a Buffon for insulting Achebe that way. It is not any Igbo adage, maybe your Father's. You
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by wingmanII: 2:51pm On Sep 09, 2018
Apina:

Total rubbish. The Bible was first translated and compiled into what's called the BIBLE by St. JEROME, a Catholic priest into Latin and without that translation, there would be nothing like a BIBLE. Stop coming online to spew ignorance.

The Catholic Church did not start in Rome, unless you want to tell me that Jesus and the apostles were Romans. The Catholic Church was not called so until 108AD by Ignatius of Antioch who wasn't a Roman undecided

Don't mind the ignoramuses. They will likely die ignorant
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by mysteryman2014: 3:01pm On Sep 09, 2018
Kahujadekadura:
It is obvious that Peter married but after Christ dead, I don't think we heard anything about his family life. Even letters of St Peter, we have nothing of that nature in it. The most important aspect of it all is that as a Pope, which is d beginning of Modern Catholic church, he had no family for he abandoned them for his ministry.
Assuming, he stayed in the Rome with his family then u will have a point there

Pls read Matthew 8:14 from your bible and confirm for yourself that Peter was married before he was selected as one of the apostles of Jesus Christ.
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by mysteryman2014: 3:05pm On Sep 09, 2018
dingbang:
but Jesus told him to leave his family and follow him na

Where did Jesus say that?
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by adegeye38(m): 3:09pm On Sep 09, 2018
dingbang:
my brother. The devil said to Jesus, I will give you all the kingdoms of the world and all the things inside it if you bow down and worship me.

I still ask myself, if Jesus were to be in this our time, would he have needed the things of the world to preach his gospel? I just ponder
So hw will d gospel reach d ends of the earth without using d things of d world?
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by adegeye38(m): 3:10pm On Sep 09, 2018
dingbang:
I think it was spelt clear in the bible when Jesus spoke to the apostles they should leave everything and follow him
he said that to d apostles not to all Christians
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by DanPolice(m): 3:24pm On Sep 09, 2018
The decision by the Catholic Church to have Priests who are cerlibate has nothing to do with them following the examples of Jesus. Yes, it it true that there is no record of Jesus being with any woman of wife, He never preach or teach that those who are to minister in the temple as Priest be cerlibate. The priestly office has been before the arrival of Christ to save mankind, and the requirements/qualifications of the office are clearly spelt out in the book of Leviticus.

The claim by one of the respondent here that because Jesus who founded the Catholic Church was a cerlibate is very unfounded. Jesus never preach in Rome all His life, yet the Catholic Church originated from Rome hence the name Roman Catholic. It was Apostle Paul that took Christianity to Rome.

The reason why the Catholic Church chose for her priest to be cerlibate, I believe is rooted in their papacy, and cannot be explained by any one else other than the custodians of the papacy alone.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by Rinato(m): 3:26pm On Sep 09, 2018
streamsofjoy:

Well, in the spirit of the advice I just gave I'll just refuse further comments on this issue and pray about it. it's been a burden. We ain't supposed to be this divided. Shalom
i have heard you.

May My Mother Mary Intercede /\
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by karlboss: 3:37pm On Sep 09, 2018
Apina:

Total rubbish. The Bible was first translated and compiled into what's called the BIBLE by St. JEROME, a Catholic priest into Latin and without that translation, there would be nothing like a BIBLE. Stop coming online to spew ignorance.

The Catholic Church did not start in Rome, unless you want to tell me that Jesus and the apostles were Romans. The Catholic Church was not called so until 108AD by Ignatius of Antioch who wasn't a Roman undecided

Your comment got me

Well I was born a Catholic but when you see how Catholics were involved in West Africa slave trade your eyes will open to alot of things

When we talk about history no one has a perfect answer because sometimes history is just story agreed upon.

During the early times there were only two churches Catholic Church to the west and Orthodox Church to the east.

That st Jerome is a Catholic priest that translated the Bible does not deny the fact Catholics prevented people to access the Bible.

Martin Luther was also a Catholic monk all other reformers were all Catholics.

Homosexuality was prevalent in Rome so when Rome adopted Christianity it entered the church.

Our question should be during the time of Christ and soon after Romans persecuted followers of Jesus and hated them with passion how come did they suddenly accept Christianity.

I know people will tell you Constantine story but the answer is simple they saw Christianity as an avenue to spread their Roman culture and paganism and hence the Roman Catholic Church was formed.

If you are a Catholic and you bow to virgin Mary stature and you condemn my fore fathers that bow to their own stature you are the reason Jesus wept.

Christianity did not start in Rome, Roman Catholicism started in Rome after emperor Constantine became a Christian and Roman government officially adopted Christianity

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by Dotng: 4:10pm On Sep 09, 2018
They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. 1 Timothy 4:3
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by bayelsaowei(m): 4:30pm On Sep 09, 2018
patrickcollins:
Ur pastors and G.O brought more shame to themselves and Christianity more than priests because of their greed for money and sexual lust over their members.
grin... Which pastor is that??.. the case study here is the Catholic church and it's mandatory requirement of celibacy for priests..

Allow people choose to be celibates out of their own volition rather than tie it to a position or responsibility in the church..
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by lakesider(m): 5:13pm On Sep 09, 2018
Scam is scam weather physical or brain scam
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by princely83(m): 5:17pm On Sep 09, 2018
All Catholics are on the Broadway dancing to HELL FIRE. REPENT NOW AND ACCEPT JESUS INTO YOU HEART AND HE WILL COME IN. LEAVE THAT MAN MADE SECT AND PUT OUT EVERY IDOLATRY IN YOUR LIFE FOR GOD IS A JEALOUS GOD. RUN TO HIM NOW WHILE YOU ARE STILL ALIVE COS TOMORROW MAY BE TOO LATE!

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Sep 09, 2018
Suplexx:
Mathew 19:10-12

The disciples said to him, “If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry.”

11 Jesus replied, “Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12 For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.”

stop quoting the Bible upside down. What led to that statement by Jesus is not related to the topic
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by generationz(f): 6:06pm On Sep 09, 2018
dingbang:
my brother. The devil said to Jesus, I will give you all the kingdoms of the world and all the things inside it if you bow down and worship me.

I still ask myself, if Jesus were to be in this our time, would he have needed the things of the world to preach his gospel? I just ponder

so getting married is now worldly?

Marriage that God instituted

Are you catholic?

what do you think about the alarming increase in gay priests banging alter boys?

or womanizing priests having coded relationships with runs girls
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by sckulboy: 6:27pm On Sep 09, 2018
To kwn more about jesus plz vist tombofjesus.com Or use d google search
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by Apina(m): 7:01pm On Sep 09, 2018
karlboss:

Your comment got me

Well I was born a Catholic but when you see how Catholics were involved in West Africa slave trade your eyes will open to alot of things

When we talk about history no one has a perfect answer because sometimes history is just story agreed upon.

During the early times there were only two churches Catholic Church to the west and Orthodox Church to the east.

That st Jerome is a Catholic priest that translated the Bible does not deny the fact Catholics prevented people to access the Bible.

Martin Luther was also a Catholic monk all other reformers were all Catholics.

Homosexuality was prevalent in Rome so when Rome adopted Christianity it entered the church.

Our question should be during the time of Christ and soon after Romans persecuted followers of Jesus and hated them with passion how come did they suddenly accept Christianity.

I know people will tell you Constantine story but the answer is simple they saw Christianity as an avenue to spread their Roman culture and paganism and hence the Roman Catholic Church was formed.

If you are a Catholic and you bow to virgin Mary stature and you condemn my fore fathers that bow to their own stature you are the reason Jesus wept.

Christianity did not start in Rome, Roman Catholicism started in Rome after emperor Constantine became a Christian and Roman government officially adopted Christianity

First of all Catholicism isn't Roman, there's also a church in the east called the orthodox or Eastern Rite. The Roman Catholicism is a Rite called the western Rite. The word Rite as used is pertaining to Liturgy and alliance, perhaps you might have heard of the patriarch of the East, the pope you probably know who's the patriarch of the West. The word Catholic means universal and it would be wrong to ascribe it just to Rome.

Secondly, it would be ignorant to blame the church in regards to the slave trade, slave trading dates back to a time before Christ. I don't know what you might have heard the church did but it would be good you state your case and not just making conjectures.

You talk of bowing to the statue of Our mother Mary as though you don't make such gestures towards you parents and perhaps the king in your village, if you call what we do idolatry, then most humans are idol worshippers, most especially those of you bowing Down to pictures or having pictures of your god of man in your houses.

Constantine did not start the church, that would be totally ignorant to say. The first council of the church was held in Jerusalem by the Apostles even before the gospel got to Rome. Instead the church used the influence of Rome to push its message since Rome was the Empire at that time. Whatever the intention of those who chose to adopt it that time may be, Rome was simply God's tool at that time.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by femi4: 7:10pm On Sep 09, 2018
Shortyy:
Because Jesus Christ was celibate. Duuh

Check all the apostles did any one marry or had a child ?

Jesus said you'll leave your family and follow me.

It was stated that Peter had a mother-in-law. He could've been married before he became an apostle. Remember he was a fisherman before he met Jesus. He was prolly married before he met Jesus.

And that prevent them from committing other sins? Most old testaments Prophets were married,
Some of the 120 in the upper room were married e.g Philip, Jude
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Sep 09, 2018
Blacknight28:

With reference to your 3rd paragraph, no one is forced into priesthood, it's a divine vocation one goes into knowing fully well what it is all about and the sacrifices one must make.
A priest who feels He can not continue with his work as a priest because of his sexual desire have every right to resign, and for those Reverend Fathers accused of sexual immoralities it is not you that called them to the vineyard of God, let Him that called them judge them.

The problem is making it a requirement to be a priest. Who established that law? One may want ti be a priest and also be married. Is anything scripturally wrong with that desire?

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by Hairyrapunzel: 7:30pm On Sep 09, 2018
JMAN05:

The problem is making it a requirement to be a priest. Who established that law? One may want ti be a priest and also be married. Is anything scripturally wrong with that desire?

The same way your governing body makes laws is the same way someone made the law for Catholics.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by Hairyrapunzel: 7:32pm On Sep 09, 2018
JMAN05:

The same way your governing body makes doctrines and says you shouldn't question the doctrines is the same way someone made the doctrine for Catholics and said they shouldn't question it.

At the end of the day it's humans that make the laws for other humans.
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by dingbang(m): 8:15pm On Sep 09, 2018
generationz:

so getting married is now worldly?

Marriage that God instituted

Are you catholic?

what do you think about the alarming increase in gay priests banging alter boys?

or womanizing priests having coded relationships with runs girls
please point out where I mentioned marriage is worldly in my comment. Let me now use you as a scape goat because I have seen that you just want to show yourself .
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by kabillionaire(m): 8:24pm On Sep 09, 2018
Kingdante:
It was introduced into the Catholic Church for so many reasons first during the middle age catholic priest treated their calling as family business giving preference to their sons, with their influence they edge out competition for their son giving them good and juicy position in the community thus it was more like a competition among priests whose son I doing better.

2ndly they also believe at the time that celibate men commit less sin

3rdly it was believed that Jesus was a virgin till death this priest where mandated to emulate that

Nb- The issue of celibacy is rooted in the catholic tradition not a dogman thst means the pope can wake up tomorrow and give priest permission to get married

You're well versed!
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by unitysheart(m): 8:29pm On Sep 09, 2018
Blacknight28:

Absurdity.

If its not us that called them into priesthood and cannot judge them, how come the worldly government can judge and punisb them.

I havent condemned Christianity but i have every right to denounce and condemn immorality found with the priests.

Jesus himself commandrd that such priests should be expelled from yhe congregation.
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by jnrbayano(m): 10:20pm On Sep 09, 2018
princely83:
All Catholics are on the Broadway dancing to HELL FIRE. REPENT NOW AND ACCEPT JESUS INTO YOU HEART AND HE WILL COME IN. LEAVE THAT MAN MADE SECT AND PUT OUT EVERY IDOLATRY IN YOUR LIFE FOR GOD IS A JEALOUS GOD. RUN TO HIM NOW WHILE YOU ARE STILL ALIVE COS TOMORROW MAY BE TOO LATE!

Minister for hell matters I salute you.

Worry more about your own soul bro. A friendly piece of advice
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by jnrbayano(m): 10:27pm On Sep 09, 2018
JMAN05:

Nothing is wrong with it.

Nothing is also wrong in deciding not to marry and yet being a priest. No?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Xenophobia : TB Joshua Weeps In Church As He Composes Song For Africa / Pastor Taiwo Odebiyi Sets Lady On Fire During Special Prayer / Why Do Some Great Pastors Die Young Despite Healing Many

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.