Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,387 members, 7,808,367 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:01 AM

How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? (29234 Views)

How Do You Cope With 60k Salary In Port Harcourt ? / How Do You Cope When A Colleague Or Senior Is Not Up To Their Job / Guys, Never Look This Way If You Want To Keep Your Job In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by emeviks: 10:43pm On Sep 10, 2018
Stay positive. Activate your profile on LinkedIn and keep applying for jobs.
Browse the web for companies' contact email addresses and send out unsolicited applications (this works out 75% of the time).
In less than no time you'll be back on your feet.

Goodluck.

Charlyok:
The feeling is very bad when this happens? You feel like it's the end of the world. It feels hard starting to look for another and getting it feels like impossible.

How did you cope when you lost your job?

How many weeks, months and years did it take for you to eventually get another one?

Were you always sitting at home and applying online or were you always going out, trekking from one company to another, with your CVs and Credentials, seeking for job? Have in mind that most companies don't accept hard copies......they will always refer you online and that's if they are recruiting.

For someone who just lost his job and has experience, not being able to complete his rent(landlord always calling and threatening) No connection, No hope of getting another job anytime soon.......What will you advise such a person?

Matured minds pls!

#I'mdepressed

1 Like

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by blackgold2018(m): 10:43pm On Sep 10, 2018
chiommy123:
Pls don't wait for advert. Move from place to place. When you can afford transport move with vehicles. Its really not easy especially now
Please can you share your experience on field job search?. (Moving from place to place)
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by blackgold2018(m): 10:51pm On Sep 10, 2018
YoungDaNaval:
Move from place to place All those companies olevel security with never embarrass you before fa?
pride spotted.
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by centpower(m): 10:54pm On Sep 10, 2018
God will see you through.
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Nobody: 10:55pm On Sep 10, 2018
YoungDaNaval:
Move from place to place All those companies olevel security with never embarrass you before fa?
Are they not employees?They don't do such.The worst is they will tear your CV after you have left their presence.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by akpunda86: 10:56pm On Sep 10, 2018
Young fellas I'm an old timer of nairaland.it pains me when I see young fellas roaming the street Yea not easy but we must start from some where..
I read elect.engineering.if you read also just services drawing will keep u moving.just with auto cad u earn a living.

Noting sweet like being a contractor.always pray make a gain of 12million naira. Per annum.

Be flexible.I'm into drawings consultancy.contracting,solar installations any thing u ask me I can do it.NEVER SAY NO TO A PROPOSAL.

4 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Ken4agent(m): 11:00pm On Sep 10, 2018
Agropreneur is the way out......we be been there and today we are employer of labour with AgroBiz.....check my signature.....don't bother thanking me
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by almasterpiece(m): 11:01pm On Sep 10, 2018
I have alot to say, I will make my contributions after I am done with some stuffs

1 Like

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Sep 10, 2018
Charlyok:

Thank you Sir, for your great submission.

My previous job was pensionable, but I do not know how to go about filing with the pension Administrator.
It's IBTC Pension. Kindly enlighten me

Thank you all for your contributions and advice.
You should write a formal letter to your pension admin stating that you need 25% of your pension.Again your former employer should write a letter stating the reason why you were disengaged from work.You also need statement of your account from your bank and passports.Take it to your pension admin so that 25% of your pension savings will be remitted to your account.Men!you go spend money to do all these things ehn!

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Nobody: 11:06pm On Sep 10, 2018
Some of you that are saying self employed is the key should also note that businesses are struggling under this government.Light palava,finance palava,good location and shop rental is another stress.If you get bad friends,dem go use credit ruin your business down.

7 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Lorenzop: 11:09pm On Sep 10, 2018
It is so unfortunate seeing majority of comments advicing OP to start applying for another job....what then happens when he looses the next one he gets because its obvious he will still quit or get sacked after all its not his father's job...thats the reality.....

OP....a little above one year ago I was once in your shoes, Infact the mumu that sacked me told me to my face that I will start all over again, he said several things that will make even a determined soul to shake, then again, my babe left me, my friends stopped calling even when i called they dont pick, I was devastated, i will wake up and cry asking God why friends treat me that way when i know i really was very generous, guess what i said to myself, I am not gonna submit a single CV to anyone because i dont want to go through the era of getting sacked again because there is no guarantee you will keep your job. I dusted my laptop and delved deeply into the world of the internet (not yahoo pls)...there are several legit business you can do online and yet foot your bills very comfortably, i was so happy with myself because i do things my own way and in my own time. I now have time to even learn a new skill and make myself more valuable, mind you it is a skill that will still keep me self employed comfortably. forget govt and private sector....it will ruin you further. It will be hard initially but once you are determined, you will win...above all and most importantly, be prayerful...without God I wont be where I am today...do not give up bro...cheers

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Lorenzop: 11:10pm On Sep 10, 2018
cucumbae:
Some of you that are saying self employed is the key should also note that businesses are struggling under this government.Light palava,finance palava,good location and shop rental is another stress.If you get bad friends,dem go use credit ruin your business down.
negative vibes....smh

1 Like

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by udemzyudex(m): 11:11pm On Sep 10, 2018
This is what I use to tell those around me, if you have the chance, especially when you're through with sec. School and about to enter into the university or immediately after your service, learn a skill or learn how to do a particular business.

This will serve as a back up should in case something like this happens in the future, even driving is a skill,so if you know how to drive or have other skills, put it to use.

I believe you must have save some money, start a small business while you continue searching for a job.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Lorenzop: 11:17pm On Sep 10, 2018
emeviks:
Stay positive. Activate your profile on LinkedIn and keep applying for jobs.
Browse the web for companies' contact email addresses and send out unsolicited applications (this works out 75% of the time).
In less than no time you'll be back on your feet.

Goodluck.

chai, whats the guarantee he will still keep the next job, this is why we have so much poverty in the land, we are so obsessed with office jobs and white colar jobs...

4 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by lanre88(m): 11:19pm On Sep 10, 2018
Lost my job barely 2 weeks now.

Staying calm but hopeful. I just need to aquire skills I believe rather than jumping at just anyhow jobs which only just keep one alive.

Am open to learning while I figure out what next to do.

I would appreciate anyones' support (training and skill acquisition)

Thank you.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by femmoy(m): 11:22pm On Sep 10, 2018
This same thing happened to me in July, I was disengaged from work after spending 8yrs and 5months with the multinational company. I must say it hasn't been funny, I had to adapt to a total change of lifestyle, I stay indoors more often (though boring but I can't just be roaming the streets)........

as of the pension, from my findings u can access 25% of it if after 4 months you don't get any other job.

I've lost my friends (both males and females),and I've really seen another side of life in these short period but then, I still thank God because I have hope.

company job (any salary job) isn't the best one can do in this country. I pray I get back on my feet pretty soon and for as many that are also in my shoes,may God help us all.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Nobody: 11:26pm On Sep 10, 2018
EGBEDA101:
Go to the business section of this forum, look for iykepromotions thread on domain flipping, look for vanzel thread on fiverr.Get a note book, read from page one to the last, by the time you see how much people make a month without leaving their houses, you won't be thinking of carrying CV about ever again!

Just my little advise cos I was once in your shoes.
Op, this is the best advise here. Gone are the days we kill ourselves over landing a good job. I was once in your shoes in 2016 and it was devastating! I lost connection with clients and realized I was on my own. This made me vow never to work for anyone again! The kind of money I make working online can be compared to the salary big oil companies pay and I mean every single word. Follow his advice and be determined and productive, SignUp for fiverr and upwork, try domain flipping. I also added cryptocurrency trading to my hustle and its very lucrative but requires alot of experience and research. Wish you the best.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by lanre88(m): 11:26pm On Sep 10, 2018
Lorenzop:
It is so unfortunate seeing majority of comments advicing OP to start applying for another job....what then happens when he looses the next one he gets because its obvious he will still quit or get sacked after all its not his father's job...thats the reality.....

OP....a little above one year ago I was once in your shoes, Infact the mumu that sacked me told me to my face that I will start all over again, he said several things that will make even a determined soul to shake, then again, my babe left me, my friends stopped calling even when i called they dont pick, I was devastated, i will wake up and cry asking God why friends treat me that way when i know i really was very generous, guess what i said to myself, I am not gonna submit a single CV to anyone because i dont want to go through the era of getting sacked again because there is no guarantee you will keep your job. I dusted my laptop and delved deeply into the world of the internet (not yahoo pls)...there are several legit business you can do online and yet foot your bills very comfortably, i was so happy with myself because i do things my own way and in my own time. I now have time to even learn a new skill and make myself more valuable, mind you it is a skill that will still keep me self employed comfortably. forget govt and private sector....it will ruin you further. It will be hard initially but once you are determined, you will win...above all and most importantly, be prayerful...without God I wont be where I am today...do not give up bro...cheers

Would be elated if you could share please.

I need to learn things and build up myself.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Carmal90(m): 11:29pm On Sep 10, 2018
grossintel:
Op, this is the best advise here. Gone are the days we kill ourselves over landing a good job. I was once in your shoes in 2016 and it was devastating! I lost connection with clients and realized I was on my own. This made me vow never to work for anyone again! The kind of money I make working online can be compared to the salary big oil companies pay and I mean every single word. Follow his advice and be determined and productive, SignUp for fiverr and upwork, try domain flipping. I also added cryptocurrency trading to my hustle and its very lucrative but requires alot of experience and research. Wish you the best.

Pls can you guide me on cryptocurrency trading...
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by jarmy: 11:39pm On Sep 10, 2018
And I am thinking of quitting my teaching job. It seems the pay is to keep me alive. life is too short. how I Wish I knew this earlier. I would have not put much hope in certificate.

Even government maltreats her workers. which way Nigga?

Baba God take control. We must not die with our potentials.

5 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by darkelf: 11:40pm On Sep 10, 2018
PlsBanMe:
It is one of the worst thing that can ever happen to anyone. Try to keep hope alive. Let trusted family members and friends know what you are going through so they can possibly assist you with the little they have.

Also, while you apply for jobs you are qualified for, apply also for those you are overqualified for. Even a little this time is better than nothing. In short, apply for all jobs you see. It is no time to be picky.

The most important thing is remember the times in your life in the past when you think you think all hope was lost but you still find a way around the issue. Know that this is just a moment in your life and it will also pass. Remembering how far you have gone will help you pass through this. No glory without story.

You will eventually laugh at last.

aahh pleeeeaaassseee.

Stop the exaggerations.
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by hesilo(m): 11:40pm On Sep 10, 2018
I must tell you it really wasn't easy for me. I lost my job July 18th last year for some flimsy excuse from my employer. It was as though my would was going to crash. While at the job i secured a shop and started a laundry business and belive you me when i lost this job i was bout getting loan from my place of work to finance this business. Just about that, i lost the job and could not even paint the shop. I started washing clothes like that in an unpainted shop and just like that for about a year plus now. Luckly for me i got another job just last week. Done medicals and would be starting by month end as i was asked when to start. its is really not easy i swear. Nights i could not sleep, days i could not eat and it happened for months until i realised i was really in a deep shit. Thank God i am recovering because depression dealt with me. At a point i already made up my mind to go to my previous office armed, bleep up all those who conspired to push me away to suffer and finally kill myself. But i thank God its now over. It can only be God. Op its not easy per say, but maintain your calm, sleep over it, make sure you always have data in your phone to keep yourself busy. Then be on the lookout. don't also forget to reachout and learn a trade/skill as that would be your only saving grace. God bless you

11 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by darkelf: 11:45pm On Sep 10, 2018
cucumbae:

You dey mind them. I don't blame them, I blame our greedy leaders the same youths would still show unwavering support for while their Kids (politicians) are enjoying life

Mtcheeewww

5 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Welcomme: 11:45pm On Sep 10, 2018
Lorenzop:

Bros how can I contact you? Help a depressed soul pls... I am loosing it too..
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 11:56pm On Sep 10, 2018
Why aren't there comments from females here? Don't you people work too?

OP. Hang in there. You'll be fine. I prophesy that by the end of this month, being my birth month, you shall be surprised with something very decent. Amen.

5 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Lexusgs430: 12:09am On Sep 11, 2018
Charlyok:
The feeling is very bad when this happens? You feel like it's the end of the world. It feels hard starting to look for another and getting it feels like impossible.

How did you cope when you lost your job?

How many weeks, months and years did it take for you to eventually get another one?

Were you always sitting at home and applying online or were you always going out, trekking from one company to another, with your CVs and Credentials, seeking for job? Have in mind that most companies don't accept hard copies......they will always refer you online and that's if they are recruiting.

For someone who just lost his job and has experience, not being able to complete his rent(landlord always calling and threatening) No connection, No hope of getting another job anytime soon.......What will you advise such a person?

Matured minds pls!

#I'mdepressed

Would advice you to look within your immediate environment and find what services you can render. Some tasks might look demeaning, so long as it brings capital, who cares??

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Lexusgs430: 12:10am On Sep 11, 2018
UyaiIncomparabl:
Why aren't there comments from females here? Don't you people work too?

OP. Hang in there. You'll be fine. I prophesy that by the end of this month, being my birth month, you shall be surprised with something very decent. Amen.

And this prophecy is by what command? Religion, the start of misfortunes in Nigeria......

5 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Kawounited: 12:11am On Sep 11, 2018
Sorry bro.. But that is the reality of life.. One day we shall either leave the job or the job will leave us.

I also got disengaged in June from my job that I have been doing for about 14yrs in one of the multinationals. A job that has been fetching me salary of about half a million monthly.

It was really painful because that's when reality would dawn on you. The most painful part is not even about losing the job but how people you think are your confidants,some colleagues, some associates will just disappear all of a sudden.. Because you now have nothing to offer.. Only your family will be with you and some few friends you possibly grew up with..God bless our parents.. They will be the ones encouraging you at this point.

The 1st thing i did is to go to my pension administrator and I was told that I will have to wait till after 4 months if I cldnt get a job b4 I can access the 25%.

I started thinking how would I survive 4 months with anything coming into my pocket. I then quickly put up my car for sale. I sold my car n raised about 2.5m. I then bought a small car of Abt 1.2m. I paid off some of my debts. I then bought enough foot stuff, 3 bags of rice, 3cartons of spaghetti, 3cartons of macaroni, 2cartons of cous cous, half bag of sugar, 3cartons of Indomie, half bag of beans, half bag of millet, 2 25litres of oil, 1 25litre of red oil, toiletries, filled my 3 gas cylinders and some other things.

To cut long story short, the remaining money,i started talking to people around on what kind of business should I do to keep body n soul. And I got inspired when I met some people that told me about businesses that doesn't require millions of naira as capital to start with and they are doing well now. At the end I decided to enter into bedsheets business with just about 150k I started. And guess what, I keep on talking to friends all over some states advertising my bedsheets. And to God be the glory, the patronage was amazing. With 150k I can buy 1 bale of the material, sewing and packaging all joined. At the end, u can get like 60k profit.

I already moved on and I promise myself never to bother looking for work again. And also advising those still working to try something new.. Try and get a skill apart from the job u re doing.. All businesses startes from small and grow big..

You will only have to cut down all unnecessary expenses. No more going to take ice cream, Shawarma and the rest.. Lol.. But it worth it.. Life under full time employment is nothing but fake..

Am yet to collect my pension, but am happy that God has already opened my eyes.

I now have peace of mind, I now relate well with my wife and kids, I now have time to go and be checking my parents. And most importantly, am now focusing on my business and always thinking of how to expand it.

To God be the glory!

79 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 12:13am On Sep 11, 2018
Lexusgs430:

And this prophecy is by what command? Religion, the start of misfortunes in Nigeria......

Never you discredit the work of God. I prophesy in God's name. If only he believes, he will receive. Get behind me, you man of little faith. Opportunity meets preparedness.

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Asour: 12:13am On Sep 11, 2018
lanre88:
Lost my job barely 2 weeks now.

Staying calm but hopeful. I just need to aquire skills I believe rather than jumping at just anyhow jobs which only just keep one alive.

Am open to learning while I figure out what next to do.

I would appreciate anyones' support (training and skill acquisition)

Thank you.

I don't know the nature of skills you are out for but :
edx.org
udemy.com
Microsoft virtual academy are among rich resources to acquire training.

Nowadays, you could browse for PDFs and read/learn about virtually anything under the sun. YouTube is another great resource to learn even the most niche-esque skill.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by mascot87(m): 12:14am On Sep 11, 2018
grossintel:

Hello bro, please can you guide me or better be my mentor? I run a full time MBA program but I need a part time online biz that can help my finances.
I need finances to overcome my depression and focus fully on my MBA which I have spent six much on. Please be of help

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Why Do People Make Money Mistakes Immediately They Hit Big Funds! / For About 2 Years Now, I Get Paid For Doing No Work. I Need Advice / Crippled Man "Big Dreams" Makes Shoes In Benue To Earn A Living (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.