Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,991 members, 7,799,412 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:39 PM

The Problem With Moderate Atheists - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Problem With Moderate Atheists (7045 Views)

Is Daddy Freeze The Problem With Nigerian Christianity? / Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 / Atheists And Morality. A Question! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by budaatum: 11:34am On Oct 04, 2018
Gratefulheart01:

No one get information for existence of God in a book. If there is the book and no evidence of God in life, on one will believe. Before the books were written, people have always being serving the God. In places where they don't have the books, when the books get there, they believe because they have already seen evidences that there is a God, the book only introduces them to that God. The books or religions don't tell us there is God, they only tell us about who he is and how to worship him but before the book, we ourselves would have have the conviction that there is a god which will make us believe when we see the books.
Well, you can get information about the phenomena you call gods in books. A lot of research has gone into the topic and some very good books written on it too, and on the idea of self confirmation bias, which is what you do when you already have the conviction you say you have before checking the evidence.

Atheists (pure ones you spoke of), have to do their research, and they have to be honest about it. It's not as simplistic as you think for most people to say there are no gods especially if they had been indoctrinated into believing there are gods.
Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by budaatum: 12:08pm On Oct 04, 2018
Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by danvon(m): 4:20pm On Oct 04, 2018
Bacteriologist:

Of course. Except Allah is a false God and doesn't exist. So a Muslim is someone who believes in "a non existent deity" nothing more nothing less.
All forms of violence attributed to it shouldn't come from the ideology itself but rather it's crazy people
Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by Bacteriologist(m): 5:25pm On Oct 04, 2018
danvon:
All forms of violence attributed to it shouldn't come from the ideology itself but rather it's crazy people

Well I think all religion provide a room for fatalism. The Quran contains the Sura that supports killing of infidels.

The Bible supports slavery. ATR supports human rituals.

The list is endless really.
Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by felaismyhero(m): 6:55pm On Oct 04, 2018
yes! yes!! both the theist and the atheist lack proofs.so till humanity has all knowledge,lets all stick with agnosticism.thats our smartest bet.i disagree with you that there are some things we can never know.it may take thousands of years,but humanity can know all things!
Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by felaismyhero(m): 7:34pm On Oct 04, 2018
Bacteriologist:

This posts makes zero sense. An atheist is someone who totally lacks belief in the existence of any deity or God. Nothing more nothing less.
very correct my brother! that is why am against atheism; it is just as blind as theism.agnosticism is the way to go.
Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by felaismyhero(m): 7:57pm On Oct 04, 2018
vaxx:
This continue to work all time, so long science exist, trial and test will continue regardless of existing conclusion. And whatever it is the current result of yesterday will only be base on existing belief or faith tomorrow. Science is rested on faith to formulate and come into conclusion. Newton was making lot of sense before Albert Einesten came to modify it.
stop associating faith with science! doing that,you insult science! do u know that despite their popularity in psychology circles,temperament tests are not accepted in the science world? the moment the basis for your belief is sentimental,a religious book,your feelings,science doubts it already.

1 Like

Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by vaxx: 8:42pm On Oct 04, 2018
felaismyhero:
stop associating faith with science! doing that,you insult science! do u know that despite their popularity in psychology circles,temperament tests are not accepted in the science world? the moment the basis for your belief is sentimental,a religious book,your feelings,science doubts it already.
I don't know your exposure to science but I am assuming you have at least a moderate understanding.

Psychology is an affective science not physical science which make falsifiable decision, most of her theory are rested on mere explanation.therefore its theory are generally not very valid and sound liike physical science. Most of her theory had been accepted and include in medical field especially in the areas that relate with mental health or behavioural disorder unit.

As regard to associating science with faith, it will take much of someone who is more expose to science to find out. It is not in a religious sense of it. But it is indeed a faith base..Axiom is the heart of the physical sciences. So it is this axiom of uniformity which says the laws of physics are the same everywhere and will be the same now and forever. If you understand axioms well enough, you will note that it is not provable in the mathematical sense nor can it be established empirically. For example ,Can we go everywhere in the universe and check all the laws? No. Can we know for absolutely sure what an experiment will produce an hour from now or a million years from now? No. We can only predict an hypothesis which is not guarantee to work.

However, for us to do science at all we are forced to assume uniformity, which is just that an assumption. So far it has paid off. Most likely tomorrow it will pay off, but tomorrow has not yet come. Then we say it is faith based .

Read everything you can on The Problem of Induction, especially ""David Hume"" it very impressive .
Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by vaxx: 9:00pm On Oct 04, 2018
To those who may want to read.....problem of induction....

budaatum, I tender my apology in the hope that it will be accepted... , I am sorry ......

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/induction-problem/
Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by felaismyhero(m): 7:56pm On Oct 05, 2018
[quote author=vaxx post=71788747] i am sure that faith and science are opposing subjects;their lines of reasoning are parallel.faith is going through life blindly;science is going through life thoughtfully.faith never answers the questions 'how' and 'why',it just tells u do this,do that.but answering those questions is wat science is all about!

1 Like

Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by vaxx: 9:26pm On Oct 05, 2018
[quote author=felaismyhero post=71816354][/quote]you are not making any progress. I expect you to look into my argument and scrutinized it and not just speaking side way while I am scrutinizing your initial postulation.

Faith in science works with confidence And this confidence is based on assumption that can not be empirically verified. We only accept it simply because it has work. It is working but no one can actually predict if it will work tomorrow.

Science also don't answer why either. why question belong to philosophy class.

Even if you are going to read opposing veiw online. Ensure you understand it.
Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by felaismyhero(m): 2:42am On Oct 06, 2018
vaxx:
you are not making any progress.
Faith in science works with confidence And this confidence is based on assumption that can not be empirically verified.
Science also don't answer why either. why question belong to philosophy class.
Even if you are going to read opposing veiw online. Ensure you understand it.
im not making any progress,i hear u.i doubt if you even understand what 'science' and 'faith' mean.i should scrutinize your arguments that have no basis! im not a philosophy student,so i do not use its terminologies,but that does not mean i cant reason.you talk of 'faith in science',thats impossible.give me a scientific law or theory based on faith? and you say 'why' question is in philosophy alone.thats a blinkard view,science was birthed by philosophy,so they are answering the same questions.you would surely be the one going online to get information,not me.if i was,i wud have had so much illustrations to give you.have i shown you any link since? no i havent.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by vaxx: 6:04am On Oct 06, 2018
felaismyhero:
im not making any progress,i hear u.i doubt if you even understand what 'science' and 'faith' mean.i should scrutinize your arguments that have no basis! im not a philosophy student,so i do not use its terminologies,but that does not mean i cant reason.you talk of 'faith in science',thats impossible.give me a scientific law or theory based on faith? and you say 'why' question is in philosophy alone.thats a blinkard view,science was birthed by philosophy,so they are answering the same questions.you would surely be the one going online to get information,not me.if i was,i wud have had so much illustrations to give you.have i shown you any link since? no i havent.
Then let's politely end it by disagreeing peacefully as we are not making any progress.

The question you just ask there confirm it.

I only expose you to links to position my argument that what am saying is not my own limited veiw. .but scholarly veiw.

Physical science separated from main philosophy long time.if you must treat physical science as philosophy today, be ready to work with ""if hypithesis"".

Anyway have a good day.
Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by felaismyhero(m): 11:28am On Oct 06, 2018
vaxx:
Then let's politely end it by disagreeing peacefully as we are not making any progress.

The question you just ask there confirm it.

I only expose you to links to position my argument that what am saying is not my own limited veiw. .but scholarly veiw.

Physical science separated from main philosophy long time.if you must treat physical science as philosophy today, be ready to work with ""if hypithesis"".

Anyway have a good day.
ok sir,you too have a nice day.
Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by SarcasticGenius(m): 1:28pm On Oct 07, 2018
Seun:
You mentioned Stalin who was a communist dictator. I also mistakenly thought Neitsche was one of them.

There is no “source” of anyone's morality. Rather, there are a multitude of factors which influence your moral judgments as a person. Asking for the “source” of someone's morality is like asking someone “what is the ingredient in your soup?” or “what is the food that you eat?”

I'm sorry, but that's a rather rudderless equation. Most top chefs are asked all the time what the key or special ingredient in their dishes are. So why can't a person be queried as to what the central ideology in his belief system is?

Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by budaatum: 2:06pm On Oct 08, 2018
vaxx:

budaatum, I tender my apology in the hope that it will be accepted... , I am sorry ......
Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by MuttleyLaff: 5:06pm On Oct 08, 2018
Seun:
You mentioned Stalin who was a communist dictator.
I also mistakenly thought Neitsche was one of them.

There is no “source” of anyone's morality.
Rather, there are a multitude of factors which influence your moral judgments as a person.
Asking for the “source” of someone's morality is like asking someone “what is the ingredient in your soup?” or “what is the food that you eat?”
Cmon now, are you having a laugh.
"Source" in that context means "origin" as in, where from or what from
"Ingredient(s)" in that question/context means "constituent(s)" as in, what its made of

SarcasticGenius:
I'm sorry, but that's a rather rudderless equation. M
Most top chefs are asked all the time what the key or special ingredient in their dishes are.
So why can't a person be queried as to what the central ideology in his belief system is?
Totally different things.
Key or special ingredient in dishes isn't same as origin of the dish
Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by Cashkaching: 2:34pm On Oct 11, 2018
@Seun Our organization needs to pay for ads, how do we proceed?
Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by budaatum: 2:08am On Oct 20, 2018
vaxx:

However, for us to do science at all we are forced to assume uniformity, which is just that an assumption. So far it has paid off. Most likely tomorrow it will pay off, but tomorrow has not yet come. Then we say it is faith based .

Read everything you can on The Problem of Induction, especially ""David Hume"" it very impressive .

It is amusing how you can claim "science is faith based" and mention the "problem of induction" in the same post. I guess if you're still stuck way back with Hume, it's understandable, though, being it's you, you probable don't understand Hume at all.

Try Popper's falsifiability for an update.
Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by vaxx: 7:26am On Oct 20, 2018
budaatum:
It is amusing how you can claim "science is faith based" and mention the "problem of induction" in the same post. I guess if you're still stuck way back with Hume, it's understandable, though, being it's you, you probable don't understand Hume at all.

Try Popper's falsifiability for an update.

So, you're really more ignorant than I thought of . You are now puking bullshit, right? You don't even understand Hume? Well that is normal (you are known for red hearing). But let me educate you. Hume just points that we need to assume some basics like logic absolutes existence, uniformity and some other things that we can not justify them. But It's a technical necessity, whit out it we can't justify anything, that's what is called a problem. Are you aware that such problem also applies to mathematics and logics of philosophy as well and that makes your position self defeating?

That's the problem of induction. It does not invalidate testability of science at all. And Karl popper theory does not even solve it. infact is theory was beaten to stupor.

Please, if bullshit is the only thing that can come out of your mouth, spare us the irony of educating us with poper theory himself. You don't even understand Hume , how much of popper..... even popper falsifability theory was put into test and could not hold water.

Before you pushed me into another circular arguments that will take you more than a week to reply , educate yourself pls.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCnchhausen_trilemma
Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by budaatum: 1:11pm On Oct 20, 2018
vaxx:

..... even popper falsifability theory was put into test and could not hold water.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCnchhausen_trilemma
Your single track mind must see in black and white. Shades of grey elude you.

The failure of proving exactly any truth as expressed by the Münchhausen trilemma does not have to lead to dismissal of objectivity, as with relativism. One example of an alternative is the fallibilism of Karl Popper and Hans Albert, accepting that certainty is impossible, but that it is best to get as close as possible to truth, while remembering our uncertainty.

In Albert's view, the impossibility to prove any certain truth is not in itself a certain truth. After all, one needs to assume some basic rules of logical inference to derive his result, and in doing so must either abandon the pursuit of "certain" justification, as above, or attempt to justify these rules, etc. He suggests that it has to be taken as true as long as nobody has come forward with a truth which is scrupulously justified as a certain truth. Several philosophers defied Albert's challenge; his responses to such criticisms can be found in his long addendum to his Treatise on Critical Reason and later articles.
Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by vaxx: 1:22pm On Oct 20, 2018
budaatum:

Your single track mind must see in black and white. Shades of grey elude you.

The failure of proving exactly any truth as expressed by the Münchhausen trilemma does not have to lead to dismissal of objectivity, as with relativism. One example of an alternative is the fallibilism of Karl Popper and Hans Albert, accepting that certainty is impossible, but that it is best to get as close as possible to truth, [b]while remebring our uncertainty

In Albert's view, the impossibility to prove any certain truth is not in itself a certain truth. [color=#000000]After all, one needs to assume some basic rules of logical inference to derive his result, and in doing so must either abandon the pursuit of "certain" justification.
as above, or attempt to justify these rules, etc. He suggests that it has to be taken as true as long as nobody has come forward with a truth which is scrupulously justified as a certain truth. Several philosophers defied Albert's challenge; his responses to such criticisms can be found in his long addendum to his Treatise on Critical Reason and later articles.[/color]
Hope you can read out .

Maybe i need to be pointing out or making bullet point where remark needs to be made to you like a kindergarten children.
Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by Santaboris: 1:27pm On Oct 20, 2018
Please help us settle this -
https://www.nairaland.com/4798387/
Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by budaatum: 1:28pm On Oct 20, 2018
I am certain you do not "abandon the pursuit of "certain" justification" in your day to day life. Or do you cross a busy road without it?
Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by soleny: 10:55am On Dec 14, 2018
Good morning all,

Please assist with interpretation.

Last night i was in a dream after a mid night section of praise with God.I saw myself solving a math calculation it was difficult, then i went to meet someone to explain to me, who eventually did and i use the person's explanation to solve mine.A lady came to meet me in the dream(a known face but we are not close) that i should explain to her how i got the answer since i have being taught.To my amazement i could not.I forgot totally how i came about the answer and the steps.Then all of a sudden she told me someone has explained to her and she now knows it.I was trying to let her know there are three equations, she should put me through again.She told me next time as she is in a hurry to get somewhere.I was still talking to her telling her i think i now remember i will solve the two equations first, i noticed she affirm "Yes" with her head but still walking.I begged her since i know how to solve the first two equations, how should i solve the third one and she replied, when she comes she will explain later.Something in me reminded me again, but she was far, i said waoh! i remember, after solving the first two equations, i will substitute the answer i got to solve the last equation to get the final answer.Then i woke up.Please what is the meaning of this dream.Please note its being long i studied, so you wont think i was solving a mathematical work before i slept.
Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by soleny: 5:41pm On Dec 14, 2018
Good day,

Please assist with interpretation.

Last night i was in a dream after a mid night section of praise with God.I saw myself solving a math calculation it was difficult, then i went to meet someone to explain to me, who eventually did and i use the person's explanation to solve mine.A lady came to meet me in the dream(a known face but we are not close) that i should explain to her how i got the answer since i have being taught.To my amazement i could not.I forgot totally how i came about the answer and the steps.Then all of a sudden she told me someone has explained to her and she now knows it.I was trying to let her know there are three equations, she should put me through again.She told me next time as she is in a hurry to get somewhere.I was still talking to her telling her i think i now remember i will solve the two equations first, i noticed she affirm "Yes" with her head but still walking.I begged her since i know how to solve the first two equations, how should i solve the third one and she replied, when she comes she will explain later.Something in me reminded me again, but she was far, i said waoh! i remember, after solving the first two equations, i will substitute the answer i got to solve the last equation to get the final answer.Then i woke up.Please what is the meaning of this dream.Please note its being long i studied, so you wont think i was solving a mathematical work before i slept
Re: The Problem With Moderate Atheists by soleny: 11:51am On Apr 05, 2019
Good morning all,

Please i need interpretation and solution prayers.

I have being having a repetition of this kind of dream once in a while now(say once in a year), where i see myself writing examination in the dream,is either i cancel frequently even when someone assist me with answers or very slow before the invigilator collect my script from me or announcement is made for submission. I have never finish in all the exams.

I had same dream two night ago where i met a lady at the entrance of the hall, we were talking while i told her we shall continue when i am done with something i need to do inside the hall.

I entered the hall sat down and start with the examination again.i could not finish writing when announcement was made for submission and the invigilator collected my script then i woke up.Please someone should assist me with interpretation and what i can do as i am tired.

I need testimony i have waited for too long.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

About The Idea Of Heaven And Eternal Bliss / Does Prostrating Or Bowing By Way Of Greeting Come Under The Heading Of Shirk? / Human Sacrifice In The Bible: Lev 27: 29 & Judges 11

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.