Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,024 members, 7,799,492 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:38 PM

Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos (70352 Views)

Inside World’s First Airport For Flying Cars Unveiled In UK (Photos) / Five Parrots Removed From Public View For Swearing At Visitors In UK (Photos) / Two Women Vs 3 Muslim Men On A Flight From Turkey To UK (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by PrettyCrystal: 7:20pm On Sep 10, 2018
A Nigerian man based in the United Kingdom, Uche Anyanwagu, has revealed how he felt after he saw a British nurse who dedicated her life to helping mentally unstable people in Abia state during her stay in Nigeria over 35 years ago. The man who was shocked by the unexpected meet - took to Facebook on Sunday (yesterday) to share a touching story about the 'angel in human form'.

Read below; 

Precisely three weeks ago, I had a tap on my back shortly after a Church service in London. As I turned to behold at whose behest, I saw an elderly lady on a wheel chair. Her words were simple, straight and shocking - “I bụ onye Igbo?" (Are you Igbo?)

I stared at her with my mouth agape, not sure if she was the one who asked. I felt I had some auditory hallucination but I managed to reluctantly nod in affirmation.  She gave a toothy smile and probed further - “Ebe n'ala Igbo ka ị sị?" (which part of Igbo land are you from?)

I told her in shock. She smiled again and said: “M ruru ọrụ na Steeti gị for more than 35 years" (loosely translated, “I worked in your State for more than 35 years). As she wanted to tell about herself and her works, my mind quickly went down the memory lane. With every goosebumps my entire body could hold, I asked her: “I bụ Nkechi Rosalind Colwell?"

She nodded but this time in tears. I rushed and knelt down before her and hugged her in tears.  Angels come in human forms and I was so sure I just met one. 

NKECHI ROSALIND COLEWELL came to Uzuakoli in Abia State as a young nurse and served in the Leper Colony there.  She was touched by our lackadaisical attitude towards mental health. She couldn’t stand seeing our mentally-challenged siblings roaming the streets even for simple curable ones. 

She opened a Home for the Mentally ill at Amaudo, Itumbauzo and went round the whole of Abia State, picking up and admitting our siblings to this home.  They got medical care, learnt a skill and some were rehabilitated and reintegrated into the society. Nkechi left the comfort of her home in United Kingdom and dedicated her entire life serving the most deprived in forgotten corners of our homeland. 

As her sister later told me, “She is Nigerian and hardly identifies as British. She still eats your food and desires to return home back to you someday...”Her fluency in Igbo language thrilled us all. For almost an hour we spoke, even with my family, we did in Igbo. She was given the name NKECHI by Late Pa Herbert Osoka. The community she served also gave her a chieftaincy title, while she was knighted by the Methodist Church. 

Unfortunately, NKECHI suffered a massive stroke attack at Itumbauzo which left her partially paralysed and confined to wheelchair. She had to go back to United Kingdom, even against her personal desire (unlike our President) due to the poor state of our healthcare. 

People like NKECHI COLEWELL deserve sainthood. 

Source; https://www.nationalhelm.co/2018/09/nigerian-man-surprised-after-meeting-nkechi-rosalind-colwell-in-uk.html

295 Likes 45 Shares

Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by Millenniumlady(f): 7:21pm On Sep 10, 2018
She got a beautiful heart embarassed

530 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by Ojiofor: 7:27pm On Sep 10, 2018
Thank you Daa Nkechi for your wonderful services to humanity.May God bless you.

386 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by dingbang(m): 7:28pm On Sep 10, 2018
cool

3 Likes

Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by Tolexander: 7:30pm On Sep 10, 2018
Touching cry
May she be healed

But there are too many lunatics in Abia state, most especially in Umuahia.

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by Great2017: 7:33pm On Sep 10, 2018
Millenniumlady:
I wished I could give you 1000000 likes

155 Likes

Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by Nobody: 7:38pm On Sep 10, 2018
Millenniumlady:

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by Nobody: 7:38pm On Sep 10, 2018
Millenniumlady:

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by Arda1000(m): 7:55pm On Sep 10, 2018
Really touched my heart, God go bless this lovely lady 4 us

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by maestroferdi: 8:02pm On Sep 10, 2018
One in a million....

God will reward you abundantly.

83 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by Nobody: 8:24pm On Sep 10, 2018
Wow....Beautiful!

This is what selfless service looks like...This one strong o

41 Likes

Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by heniford2: 8:34pm On Sep 10, 2018
Tnk u ma, 4 everything God bless u

28 Likes

Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by Proudlyngwa(m): 9:28pm On Sep 10, 2018

Beautiful story, I hope she finds strength and love where she is.

The part with unlike our president was uncalled for.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by bekeechidi(m): 9:28pm On Sep 10, 2018
that's good

3 Likes

Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by DrholuwaTOBI(m): 9:29pm On Sep 10, 2018
If each and every one of us could be this selfless.

She gave up Europe for Nigeria.

I salute your Greatness and On Behalf of every citizen of this great country, Nigeria, without inclusion of the President and all his followers. We say thank you.

140 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by YoungDaNaval(m): 9:30pm On Sep 10, 2018
Millenniumlady:

1 Like

Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by laurel03(m): 9:30pm On Sep 10, 2018
Most Oyinbo they get good in heart

17 Likes

Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by crafteck(m): 9:30pm On Sep 10, 2018
Making it in life is not about money, it's about the lives you touch along the way, i hope I can be as successful as her

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by obaataaokpaewu: 9:31pm On Sep 10, 2018
Itumbuzo grin
Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by AkupeMBANO(m): 9:31pm On Sep 10, 2018
I nearly dropped a tear. God bless her

17 Likes

Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by Diso60090(m): 9:31pm On Sep 10, 2018
How many people die then
Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by iRepMyCity(m): 9:32pm On Sep 10, 2018
Igbo Amaka cheesy

20 Likes

Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by gen2briz(m): 9:32pm On Sep 10, 2018
God bless her

7 Likes

Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by 1Dray(m): 9:33pm On Sep 10, 2018
That's an humanitarian. God bless her.

11 Likes

Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by SonOfWealth(m): 9:33pm On Sep 10, 2018
You've got to try a little kindness....
Show a little kindness...
Shine the light so everyone could see..

#Humanity

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by bedspread: 9:33pm On Sep 10, 2018
Wow... Our President must Hear this
Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by DSDLIVEREPORT: 9:34pm On Sep 10, 2018
I humbly pay homage to you mummy . A real definition of kindness,seed sowing and motherhood.
Nigerians appreciate you.
Someday the government will honour you..
Thank you so much .we are grateful .
E se adupe ma.
We don't even give to ourselves this much.
I am moved .

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos by Jflex07(m): 9:35pm On Sep 10, 2018
gnykelly:

what about the Governor

And some stewpid ibos in Lagos don't even want to be called their native name. majority don't even wants to speak their language.
Afonjas can be so pathetic.. assholes!

30 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man And His Four Daughters Die In Car Crash In U.S. (Photos) / Ebonyi Airport: Two Months Gone, No Airline Has Landed There: Pictures / Longest Flyover In West Africa Nearing Completion By Kano State Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.