Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,839 members, 7,806,360 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:22 PM

Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: (5636 Views)

Poll: This is:

stupid and stubborn: 46% (25 votes)
patriotic and wise: 53% (29 votes)
This poll has ended

Nigeria Escapes FIFA Ban As Court Dismisses Case / FIFA To Ban Nigeria By The End Of Today If... / Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by methodman(m): 3:58pm On Jul 02, 2010
Nigeria will not reverse a decision to withdraw the national soccer team from international competition despite the threat of suspension from FIFA, a Nigerian presidency source said on Friday.

SOURCE:  http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/nigeria-will-not-reverse-team-ban-source--fbintl_reu-soccerworldnigeria.html

Soccer’s world governing body had earlier issued an ultimatum warning that the Nigerian Football Federation would be barred from all FIFA-related activities if the government did not agree to change its decision by Monday evening.

“Mr President will not rescind the decision because it’s the best decision for football development in Nigeria,” a presidency source said.
ADVERTISEMENT

“Mr President and his team had weighed the consequences of this decision and arrived at this decision as in the interest of the nation. We need to restructure and reorganize our football for effective and commendable results.”

The ultimatum from FIFA, which does not tolerate government interference in football matters, came after Nigeria’s President Goodluck Jonathan withdrew the Super Eagles from international competition for two years on Wednesday.

It followed the teams’ poor World Cup performance which saw them knocked out in the first round after failing to win a game.

“FIFA will today send a letter to the Nigerian football federation indicating that the government of Nigeria has until Monday 6 p.m. (1600 GMT) to cancel its decision to withdraw Nigeria’s participation in all FIFA and CAF organized football competitions,” FIFA spokesman Nicolas Maingot told a news briefing on Friday.

After meeting the country’s World Cup organizing committee, Jonathan also said the accounts of the committee should be audited, and named an 11-member caretaker committee to sort out the administration and management of the game.

Maingot said FIFA would not recognize the management committee, but would send an executive member of the world body to attempt last minute mediation on Monday.

FOOTBALL IN JEOPARDY

If the Nigerian government fails to heed to FIFA’s ultimatum, it risks getting cut-off from all FIFA activities, including junior and female competitions, and also FIFA funding to the football association.

“A suspension goes beyond the suspension of the national team, it also involves the freezing of the financial help and no referees can participate in international competition,” Maingot said.

Nigeria were set to begin their bid to qualify for the 2012 African Nations Cup finals in September against Madagascar.

They also qualified for the upcoming women’s world championships at under-20 and under-17 level and their top club side Heartland is to play in the African Champions League group phase later this month.

A ban would also cut access to its development courses and stop the annual payment of $250,000 each member associations receives, cash that is much needed by Nigerian football.

Larry Izamoje, a veteran sports broadcaster and member of the presidential taskforce charged with preparing Nigeria for the World Cup, said the Nigerian federation had not used money given to it by FIFA appropriately.

“FIFA’s $1 million was used for things that did not benefit the team in terms of preparation,” he said, adding the taskforce had handed the matter over to Nigeria’s sports commission and he could not speak on behalf of the government.

BLATTER’S “HAMMER”

Izamoje also criticized FIFA president Sepp Blatter for his handling of the situation.

“Blatter comes into any country, goes straight to the head of state, seeks governmental powers to host his competitions, and when things go wrong and government wants to correct, he comes with his hammer,” he said.

This latest episode is not the first time Nigerian political authorities have been at loggerheads with football governing bodies over political interference.

Nigeria were banned by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) in 1996 when then President Sani Abacha withdrew the team from the African Nations Cup finals in South Africa because he had been criticized by Nelson Mandela over the judicial execution of political opponents.
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by Acidosis(m): 5:19pm On Jul 02, 2010
Extremely Complicated
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by MeGaStReEt: 7:54pm On Jul 02, 2010
good job mr presido
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by Myself2(m): 10:38pm On Jul 02, 2010
methodman:

A ban would also cut access to its development courses and stop[b] the annual payment of $250,000 each member associations receives[/b],

Now those disbanded thieving NFF members must account for the ones they collected for five years amongst others
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by Seun(m): 1:07am On Jul 03, 2010
What does getting banned by FIFA have to do with NFF corruption?  Are you saying an organization cannot be probed without shutting it down? How come Sanusi could probe bank managers without closing all banks? WTF?
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by snowdrops(m): 1:16am On Jul 03, 2010
Emotions are still very high after Nigeria was kicked out of the world cup. Hence a lot of misinformed people are supporting this stupid action of Jonathan.

Give it one/two years, when Nigeria cant play in various football tournament as a result of FIFA ban, then the harsh reality of being in footballing wilderness will hit home
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by Princek12(m): 1:22am On Jul 03, 2010
It appears Jonathan is more concerned about preserving his ego than furthering the interests of football. Once FIFA gives Nigeria a 25-yr ban, then all these folks will wake up and reality will set in. What will the point in restructuring your football if you can't participate in the competitions. At that point, you might as well obliterate the NFF.
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by Nobody: 1:29am On Jul 03, 2010
cant believe larry said what he said
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by mrofficial(m): 1:34am On Jul 03, 2010
Seun:

What does getting banned by FIFA have to do with NFF corruption?  Are you saying an organization cannot be probed without shutting it down?  How come Sanusi could probe bank managers without closing all banks?  WTF?

Comparing Bank with NFF.

NFF serve themselves  grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by snowdrops(m): 1:44am On Jul 03, 2010
Seun:

What does getting banned by FIFA have to do with NFF corruption?  Are you saying an organization cannot be probed without shutting it down?  How come Sanusi could probe bank managers without closing all banks?  WTF?
True talk. Please is there a way you can channel Nairalands views to the presidency/authorities.
Nigerian leaders see themselves as demi-gods. Alfas and omegas
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by Quincy1(m): 2:02am On Jul 03, 2010
Seun:

What does getting banned by FIFA have to do with NFF corruption?  Are you saying an organization cannot be probed without shutting it down? How come Sanusi could probe bank managers without closing all banks? WTF?

The FG cannot probe NFF because that will also be seen by FIFA as political interference. Its really complicated, i think. Sure the FG would have thought of the idea of investigating NFF without a a shutdown and assumed FIFA will still come with a Hammer. Lets watch and see. God help us.
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by PokerFace(f): 2:16am On Jul 03, 2010
Very Good! Who is FIFA to control us?
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by Nobody: 2:27am On Jul 03, 2010
Someone shld beta go speak sense to dat strong headed GOODLUCK J. I think he's been deceived by his special advicers. NFF, FATKUBU n ABOKI shld all be sacked n nt our entire beloveth supreme eagles being banned.
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by Nobody: 2:28am On Jul 03, 2010
Someone shld beta go speak sense to dat strong headed GOODLUCK J. I think he's been deceived by his special advicers. NFF, FATKUBU n ABOKI shld all be sacked n nt our entire beloveth supreme eagles being banned.
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by Nobody: 2:41am On Jul 03, 2010
Dont GOODLUCK J. ve a grown up son who can specially convey d opinions of d youth 2 his dad and let him knw dat he's tryin 2 land on d wrong foot n dat he's decision 2 ban eagles is extremely Inhuman.
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by snowdrops(m): 2:44am On Jul 03, 2010
God save Nigeria if this is the type of president we have!!

He seems to be thinking with the back side
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by FARAMADE(m): 2:46am On Jul 03, 2010
There is nothing good about this decision, you don't stop doing something in order to get better at doing it, we were all disappointed we didn't make it but a good leader does not make decision in anger.

I do agree the NFF needed to be reorganized but banning the team for two years is like killing an ant with an atomic bomb but then we are talking about Nigeria.

Does anybody really think that the rest of the world will be waiting for us to catch up after that two years, we would have been two years late in international football.

Now foreign clubs will have no reason to release our players to play for Nigeria since there will be no FIFA to complain to.

Let us wait and see, Now I can see why the country is not moving in the right direction despite all the resources.
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by Nobody: 2:53am On Jul 03, 2010
MR PRESIDENT is only tryin 2 kill an ELEPHANT with a mere OFFICE PIN.
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by asunaobi(m): 5:16am On Jul 03, 2010
Good on you GJ! Thats the way to survive in our real world. Our decision must be respected. Charity they say begins at home. There is problem in our home and we must put it right first. We are no push around, and dont want to go to world cup just to make up the number. We want to go to world cup as one of most competitive side to win the cup.
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by Nizoral(f): 5:23am On Jul 03, 2010
Seriously, its okay 2 b angry, cos dose guys really made m sick, but his discisns ar nt just it.
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by Bigsolo88: 6:44am On Jul 03, 2010
Our president is not yakubu nor kaita. D ban is d best solution 2 me or should d super eagle be jailed 4 two years? Goodluck u are 2 gbasky
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by consultmartins(m): 7:45am On Jul 03, 2010
Bigsolo88:

Our president is not yakubu nor kaita. D ban is d best solution 2 me or should d super eagle be jailed 4 two years? Goodluck u are 2 gbasky
Do you how many Nigerian fainted because of the goal chances super eagles missed? Abeg, i support the ban.
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by Chidoxyl(m): 8:06am On Jul 03, 2010
ofcos, dis situation is quite complicated. I agree that Mr President should not ban the Super Eagles, even 4 one day, not to talk of 2 years. But maybe the press has not been able to put it well to us in the proper perspective. Looking at it clinically, one will come to see that the President is not banning the Super Eagles for their below performance in the ongoing World Cup. His action is premised upon the high level of corruption that is going on within the football house. Sani Lulu & his cohorts live on the FIFA statutes to perpetruate evils. Has it occured to anyone of us condenming the President's act that FIFA statutes provides a platform where a country is "BLESSED" with 2 Presidents. In our own case, SANI LULU & GOODLUCK. The stance of FIFA means no one can question/querry SANI LULU.

Going a step further, FIFA's annual grant to members association is meant to develop the game in that particular domain. But how much of the game is being developed in Nigeria. This is sad! I know FIFA has got eyes to see all these, or is FIFA not bothered to know what her annual grant of $250,000 is used for? (Though I learnt FIFA have asked the Nigerian Government to produce document indicting the NFF men of corruption).

Are we to talk of the number of souls (innocent football fans) that the activities of our football authority has killed over the years, with their failure to do what THEY know is right? Is FIFA happy about these death? Following our achievement of 1994, is our football suppose to grow or retard? You know the answer, ofcos.

If it's true that FIFA have so directed we produce document indicting the NFF men of corruption, then Mr. President should please rescind his decision, and go ahead with his probe of our football house. Once they are indicted, let us submit the proof(s) to FIFA and let's wait on them (FIFA).

Finally, one thing I know is that AMOS ADAMU will want to use his position as a member of FIFA committee to scuttle FIFA's action because the men in question worship him as their god. Don't be surprise how much thousand of the FIFA largesse goes to him from the $250,000. Don't be surprise!

I await what are to be revealed and realised. In Nigeria I BELIEVE. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by Nobody: 8:14am On Jul 03, 2010
[b]NFF doesnt need to get banned, it just needs a fundamental shake up, radical redesign, that would yeild dramatic results. All along, it has nothing but some bunch of overpaid, non-chalant officials, poor tech crews, and ineffective footballers, and thats putting it mildly.
The new NFF should not include someone like Segun Odegbami, because this was a man I thought would breath a new life into it, and he would come up fresh ideas like: youths development, training facilities, football scouts agents, psychological department (because football isnt all about brawn but mental strenght as well), research department (that would look into the weakness of any team the eagles are playing, even work on the team's SWOT), and a very effective PR department that can handle all this stupid press conferences for them, instead of letting an unprofessional like Yobo tell the global media that he would die on pitch if we don't win Greece (and I am still waiting for his obituary.)

The entire NFF and its products have been nothing but complete disgrace to us. To them, a tourament is nothing but an opportunity to frolick away, while visiting beaches, clubs, parties, while having fun with girlfriends, whenever they are out with the boys for any foreign match.

This problem doesnt need two years to redress. All it needs is sincereity. President Goodluck somehow discovered Professor Attahiru Jega somehow, im sure there are many more out there who would bring the NFF to its former glory.
God bless Nigeria.[/b]
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by Princek12(m): 8:23am On Jul 03, 2010
consultmartins:

Do you how many Nigerian fainted because of the goal chances super eagles missed? Abeg, i support the ban.

so ban the Super Eagles and the U17, U20, Olympic teams of both the men and women because Yakubu and Martins missed goals? Are you kidding me?
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by MRMoneyE(m): 8:30am On Jul 03, 2010
who cares, we should brace up to channel our interest in other aspect of our lives,
Nobody will die if we did not play football for 10years, grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by princekevo(m): 8:39am On Jul 03, 2010
No this is "Ego"speaking. A kid that is performing bad at exams, what would you achieve to finally pull him out of school to study at home, where he can't compete with other kids? Am sitting here wondering what this people think they can achieve by pulling Nigerian team of fifa competition jst becoz they are performing badly.

Wayo wayo and paddy paddy government we have in Nigeria has made it very difficult for our leaders to boldly do the right thing. A simple corruption charges slammed on NFF will coz all of them to table their resignation. Why must we distroy a whole building jst to remove a single pillar. I tireoooo!!
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by Redman44(m): 9:05am On Jul 03, 2010
If the ban will result in Sani Lulu and his fellow looters of the round table leaving the Glass House, I support it. FIFA is insincere concerning this issue. Sepp Blatter knows that the Nigerian Government spends a lot of money on the NFF, and this gives the Presidency the right to ask for a change in the NFF's leadership. Sani Lulu and his executive committee have failed to develop Nigerian football to satisfactory standards. The NFF does not even have a database of young players in the country. The Federation did not even have a website until recently sad sad  Sani Lulu should be ashamed of himself. He is now trying to contest [ Lulu will be brought in for a second term as NFF President through the usual dirty politicking ] for a second term as NFF's leader under Blatter's protection. Damn him

Segun Odegbami has also let his supporters down. I thought the guy was incorruptible. I feel Goodluck Jonathan should send a powerful delegation to FIFA with documented evidence of the corruption going on at the Glass House. FIFA should be made to understand that the ban is just a way of getting corrupt executives out of the NFF, with promises that as soon as a solid management team is strung together to manage the Federation, the ban will be lifted. Mr Jonathan, it is time to play some purposeful politicking cool cool cool cool Invite important FIFA officials to Nigeria, let them have a good time, explain your decision to them and make them happy with ''gifts''. FIFA threats of a counter-ban will become history wink wink wink. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by woonick: 9:22am On Jul 03, 2010
I SUPPORT JONATHAN,
IF YOU CAN'T SCORE A GOAL IN THE 1ST HALF, THE ONLY WAY TO WIN THE MATCH
IN THE 2ND HALF IS TO REMOVE THE GOAL POST,
GOOD JOB JONATHAN,
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by Oba234: 9:42am On Jul 03, 2010
since so many people are supporting this ban, I can't wait for FIFA to ban nigeria for the next 40yrs.
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by Albato(m): 9:59am On Jul 03, 2010
I dont entirely agree with the ban. We can overhaul or re-ignite our soccer spirit in other ways. However FIFA should shoo off and deal with the more pressing problem of installing a goal line technology. Ask an England fan if am right.
Re: Nigeria Will Not Reverse Team Ban: by matty1024: 10:03am On Jul 03, 2010
Is Fifa not a political group?
What are we talking about here.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Where In The World Is Reuben Agboola? / Odemwingie Desperate For Nations Cup / World Cup 2010: Japan Vs Cameroun [1 - 0] On Monday June 14th 2010

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.