Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,906 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:55 AM

Breaking News: Government Declares Tuesday 11th Public Holiday - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News: Government Declares Tuesday 11th Public Holiday (4127 Views)

Kanu: IPOB Declares Tuesday Sit-At-Home In South-East / FG Declares Tuesday, Wednesday Public Holidays / FG Declares Tuesday Public Holiday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking News: Government Declares Tuesday 11th Public Holiday by Dreamkiller: 2:35am On Sep 11, 2018
Osun Government has announced Tuesday as public holiday to commemorate the new Islamic year, 1440 after the Hijrah.

This was contained in a statement signed by Mr Adebisi Obawale, the Commissioner for Home Affairs, on Monday in Osogbo. Obawale said Gov. Rauf Aregbesola’s administration had since inception celebrated Hijrah as a public holiday.

He urged Muslims and people of different faiths to imbibe the lessons of the Hijrah by abstaining from sinful practices for a new life and conduct that would add value to the state and the country at large.

Obawale also enjoined residents of the state to continue to live in harmony and peace, with religious tolerance and understanding.

He said, “the government wishes Muslims in the state and across the world a happy New Year celebration and enjoins residents of the state to continue living harmoniously and peacefully with religious tolerance and understanding.

“As we enter the Islamic New Year, we must not only celebrate but also strive, as part of what Allah commands us, to internalise the lessons and essence of the Hijrah as exemplified by the uncommon patience and endurance of Prophet Muhammad (SAW) in the face of hardship. “We pray, and there is no doubt that the New Year would usher the state into another era of economic prosperity, stability and peace and continuation of good governance.’’

Obawale also urged Muslims to use the occasion to pray for peaceful conduct of Sept. 22 governorship election in the state. He commended Islamic faithful for their unalloyed support to the administration since inception and urged them not to relent.

1 Like

Re: Breaking News: Government Declares Tuesday 11th Public Holiday by rOsy247(f): 4:27am On Sep 11, 2018
Thought Islamic New Year is September 12.
Re: Breaking News: Government Declares Tuesday 11th Public Holiday by Kingspin(m): 5:04am On Sep 11, 2018
Since they don't have any meaningful thing to do.

They should add Valentine's day.

Stupid foes.

7 Likes

Re: Breaking News: Government Declares Tuesday 11th Public Holiday by teflonjake(m): 5:24am On Sep 11, 2018
How did we get Herr in Nigeria ? grin

1 Like

Re: Breaking News: Government Declares Tuesday 11th Public Holiday by Nobody: 5:37am On Sep 11, 2018
Your title is misleading. I see you are one of those that gain gratification from spreading fake news.

2 Likes

Re: Breaking News: Government Declares Tuesday 11th Public Holiday by babajeje123(m): 5:37am On Sep 11, 2018
I don't have problems with holidays. I wish it was Lagos. Let Ambo also declare hijirah in Lagos o
Re: Breaking News: Government Declares Tuesday 11th Public Holiday by EvilMetahuman: 5:44am On Sep 11, 2018
Fake news.

Muslims and christians only have 2 holidays each a Year

1 Like

Re: Breaking News: Government Declares Tuesday 11th Public Holiday by Iscoalarcon: 6:04am On Sep 11, 2018
rOsy247:
Thought Islamic New Year is September 12.
it is today 11th September 2018

Happy Islamic new year my Muslim friends may almighty Allah forgive all our sins and make this new year full of opportunities and blessings

3 Likes

Re: Breaking News: Government Declares Tuesday 11th Public Holiday by ajbf: 6:12am On Sep 11, 2018
Today is not even a public holiday in Saudi Arabia (the headquarters of Islam).
January 1st of every year is not a Christian celebration of new year.
In fact, Christians don't have any celebration like new year.

2 Likes

Re: Breaking News: Government Declares Tuesday 11th Public Holiday by abumeinben(m): 6:15am On Sep 11, 2018
Today is Osama Bin-Laden act if humanity on trade center remembrance day. Why would it align with a new year?

2 Likes

Re: Breaking News: Government Declares Tuesday 11th Public Holiday by Tonymegabush1(m): 7:39am On Sep 11, 2018
New year but we still dey 2018, well happy new month to our Moslem brothers but we are still in 2018 till 31 Dec. Ka emesia nu
Re: Breaking News: Government Declares Tuesday 11th Public Holiday by Nobody: 8:01am On Sep 11, 2018
So it's now 2019 for Muslims. Anyway happy 2019, my Muslim brothers and sisters.
Re: Breaking News: Government Declares Tuesday 11th Public Holiday by cadet234: 8:26am On Sep 11, 2018
Na wah for this public holiday thing sef! I bought an iPhone and some books from Amazon.com through their Amazon Free Shipping Club (AmazonFSC.com) website, and delivery is supposed to be today, Sept 11th, to my work address. It was all free shipping from the USA. My friend says that if they try to deliver to my office and I am not there, that they may then charge me for a part of the shipping. Is this true? Does anyone know? Honestly, I will be losing tens of thousands which I already saved from using the website if they decide that it will no longer be free shipping because of a failed public holiday delivery. So far, I have only had good experience with AmazonFSC and will be very angry if this public holidy puts sand in my garri.
Re: Breaking News: Government Declares Tuesday 11th Public Holiday by Nobody: 8:35am On Sep 11, 2018
good one
Re: Breaking News: Government Declares Tuesday 11th Public Holiday by osazeeblue01: 10:57am On Sep 11, 2018
This is nonsense
Re: Breaking News: Government Declares Tuesday 11th Public Holiday by Radiants: 10:58am On Sep 11, 2018
kmcutez:
So it's now 2019 for Muslims. Anyway happy 2019, my Muslim brothers and sisters.

lol... Not 2019. The Islamic year is 1439

The Islamic calendar is a lunar calendar, which consists of twelve months in a year and 354 days, (the Gregorian calendar has 365 days). There are either 29 or 30 days in each month, but they are not in order. It is also called as Muslim calendar or Hijri calendar.

Islamic festivals or the holidays are celebrated according to Islamic calendar. The traditional practice is, festival dates are decided and declared by a committee of Muslim leaders in local country. This practice is followed in majority of Muslim countries. Muslim leaders follow the process of fist sighting of crescent moon after sunset to decide first day of each month and then festivals are derived from there.

/copied/

(1) (Reply)

Most Yorubas Won't Vote Buhari / EXPOSED: See Photographic Evidence Of Buhari's Dementia / Imagine Them Being Our President And Vice President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.