Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,370 members, 7,781,033 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:47 AM

Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon (50095 Views)

Lebron James, Serena Williams, Tom Brady, Kim K. Attend Messi's Debut Match / Cameroon Accuse FIFA Of Racism Over VAR - Players Cry At Half-time / Serena Williams Weds Alexis Ohanian In An All-Star Guest List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by efilefun(m): 6:20pm On Sep 12, 2018
lilbest4:
I still don't understand what people normally mean by racial discrimination up till now.
Travel out of naija and i promise you will experience it before staying a week

2 Likes

Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by poweredcom(m): 6:23pm On Sep 12, 2018
Abeg notin racist about this

Black people always playing the victim. Card

So what if the cartoonist was black.

I wonder wat the complain would be

Nonsene

1 Like

Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by darkelf: 6:31pm On Sep 12, 2018
DrXavierCage:

A sensitive, Or conscious African American Cartoonist would never create something as offensive as that, that would be like pointing a loaded gun to his own forehead.

Sensitive with the use of words, yes but it's just humor albeit mild.

The fact remains that she did behave poorly.

Not getting what you want and then descending to make false accusations are on entirely different spectrum.

Suddenly, everyone has forgotten how poorly she behaved are are venting their racial frustrations on a cartoonist.

I stand with the cartoonist. If he had designed that cartoon against Osaka, I'm sure the racial crybabies won't bat an eyelid.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm totally against policemen brutalizing African-American men and i feel such officers deserve at least 25yrs jail time but this is wrong.

You lost a game fair and square, then go on to act like a bellicose 2yr old that was refused candy. Serena is a world figure and should have known that her actions were televised/broadcasted and would have ripple effects.

THE CARTOONIST DID NOTHING WRONG AND I'LL SAY IT TO SERENA'S FACE IF I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY
Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by Nobody: 6:33pm On Sep 12, 2018
Here we go again., hanty lost and started acting up, they made a caricature of her stupidity, period.
Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by hustla(m): 6:44pm On Sep 12, 2018
salford:
it is actually a racist drawing. Serena drawn like a jigaboo caricature. Black, big fat nose and lips.
Naomi was also drawn like a slim white girl. Even though she is mixed and a little thick.

Nothing racist there
She was drawn as a big baby that's throwing tantrums
Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by Nobody: 6:46pm On Sep 12, 2018
efilefun:
Travel out of naija and i promise you will experience it before staying a week
it's not discrimination, it's putting someone in his place
Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by fof1: 6:58pm On Sep 12, 2018
Anduku:
There is nothing racist about that cartoon, it was an accurate depiction of what happened in that game

THIS IS RACISM AT ITS PEAK. U ARE CYNICAL IN UR DRESSOR... PLS PARK.

1 Like

Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by chiefolododo(m): 7:06pm On Sep 12, 2018
richeeyo:

You are psychologically unfit to be on any forum
eyah.

Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by crazysam001: 7:08pm On Sep 12, 2018
Anduku:
There is nothing racist about that cartoon, it was an accurate depiction of what happened in that game

So os her size compared to the umpire and opponent bro
Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by DrXavierCage(m): 7:29pm On Sep 12, 2018
darkelf:

Sensitive with the use of words, yes but it's just humor albeit mild.

The fact remains that she did behave poorly.

Not getting what you want and then descending to make false accusations are on entirely different spectrum.

Suddenly, everyone has forgotten how poorly she behaved are are venting their racial frustrations on a cartoonist.

I stand with the cartoonist. If he had designed that cartoon against Osaka, I'm sure the racial crybabies won't bat an eyelid.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm totally against policemen brutalizing African-American men and i feel such officers deserve at least 25yrs jail time but this is wrong.

You lost a game fair and square, then go on to act like a bellicose 2yr old that was refused candy. Serena is a world figure and should have known that her actions were televised/broadcasted and would have ripple effects.

THE CARTOONIST DID NOTHING WRONG AND I'LL SAY IT TO SERENA'S FACE IF I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY

Ok
Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by chiefolododo(m): 7:31pm On Sep 12, 2018
richeeyo:

You are psychologically unfit to be on any forum
dinidinrin
Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by Horus(m): 7:59pm On Sep 12, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co_uON4LnqU

Cartoonist Creates Racist Caricature Of Serena Williams At US Open

Political cartoons are always offensive to someone, however, a recent cartoon of Serena Williams
by Mark Knight of the Herald Sun crossed the line
Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by vindisick: 8:09pm On Sep 12, 2018
revontuli:

Naomi Osaka has dyed fake blonde hair, but she does not look white. Cartoonist should have known better unless he drew that with racist intentions.
Does she look white in that drawing?. Stop all this. I have seen Donald Trump ridiculed by people in so many drawings but he can't come and start playing the racism card. Blacks need to rise above this propagandas. We're greater than all this.

1 Like

Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by Slim101(m): 8:22pm On Sep 12, 2018
charliboy654:

He even gave her blonde hair, while this might not be racist, I think serena deserve some credit as well, even though she behaved bad at the beginning, she did calm the crowd n cheered up Osaka. If u watched the video u will know what am talking about, these white are just over reacting cause serena is black.
You have a point my brother.
Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by chrisj2(m): 9:00pm On Sep 12, 2018
Serena let herself down big big time. And this tends to happen when she is losing; especially to people that she expects to beat. It was so sad to behave so disgracefully in front of someone that admires you so much...

She has always had a bit of a temper and comes over all street and yes, 'angry black woman'. That phrase is stereotypical and not particularly racist and I can say so as a black man (much the same way rappers use 'nigga'.

Lately she has become some sort of activist/feminist I am mother and I am doing it for all the mothers out there - it is not so easy and so on and so on.

The thing is; she has actually surpassed all expectations having just come back from child birth, nursing and a difficult birth to boot. She dis alright at the French, got to the finals in the next 2 grand slams. She should have been so so happy with the huge progress within a short period of time... However, she wants to win badly; perhaps for the ego, the record book and most importantly for a little girl... Regardless, her behaviour was inexcusable and turning bad behaviour towards an umpire who played by the book into some sort of sexist and racist accusation is really very low. She will struggle to come back from her recent bad behaviour.

Her legacy is really at stake now unless she turns round and quickly apologise to the Umpire, Naomi Osaka and the entire tennis watching fans and her federation and tennis bodies. The umpires are considering boycotting her matches unless she apologies. Her coach has dumped her in it by confessing to coaching (and she should have known the penalty for coaching goes to the player not the coach). Many people that have watched the furore again have also come to the conclusion that in this particular case, Serena had a meltdown. Breaking her racket was the real start of the issue not the coaching code violation (that was just ego and stress of losing).

And to call an umpire a thief is unforgivable when you were already on a yellow card... She also put in the big I AM... You will never umpire on my court... OMG! Who the hell is she?

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by efilefun(m): 9:14pm On Sep 12, 2018
lilbest4:
Nope, i have experienced it first hand... What do you call an incident when you are singled out for questioning at the airport or people stand up looking at you like lipsrsealed for sitting on same public seat... Or a landlord refusing to give out he's house to you immediately he heard you an African... Alot of shiii happens but do we blame them if not for the wild animals we have at the helm of affairs in our dead country

2 Likes

Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by maasoap(m): 9:25pm On Sep 12, 2018
Anduku:

Using those classic sambo tropes- enlarged lips, overexaggerated body parts to depict Serena as hyper masculine- next time just use an old ad from the 1800s- no one would notice the difference in your racism"

Next time, read before commenting.
Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by maasoap(m): 9:28pm On Sep 12, 2018
lilbest4:

And what is your place in the society as an African?
Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by Nobody: 9:35pm On Sep 12, 2018
efilefun:
Nope, i have experienced it first hand... What do you call an incident when you are singled out for questioning at the airport or people stand up looking at you like lipsrsealed for sitting on same public seat... Or a landlord refusing to give out he's house to you immediately he heard you an African... Alot of shiii happens but do we blame them if not for the wild animals we have at the helm of affairs in our dead country
the black race is backward and we are being treated the way we deserve.
A continent that has successfully proven to the world that it cannot rule itself, fend for itself technologically, where presidents run to Europe for health check ups how do you expect them to treat you as equals?
We are not equals
Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by Nobody: 9:35pm On Sep 12, 2018
maasoap:

And what is your place in the society as an African?
Africa is at the bottom of social and economic ladder
Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by KenModi(m): 9:37pm On Sep 12, 2018
lilbest4:
I still don't understand what people normally mean by racial discrimination up till now.

You obviously havent lived in a white man’s land or with white people, if you have, you won’t find racism difficult to understand

2 Likes

Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by Nobody: 10:05pm On Sep 12, 2018
charliboy654:

And she's more successful than ur entire generation.
mumu if your father and his entire generation they useless, no mean say others they like your curse house hold fool

1 Like

Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by efilefun(m): 10:39pm On Sep 12, 2018
lilbest4:
A continent that has successfully proven to the world that it cannot rule itself, fend for itself technologically, where presidents run to Europe for health check ups how do you expect them to treat you as equals?
We are not equals
I beg to diasgree, we having bad leaders shouldn't be the reason why we being treated like shiii... Africans are actually toping most of the foreign countries when it comes to education and others. I just believe we have a mentality which is giving this people free meal at our detriment. Nobody is ready to stand up to our oppressors and they keep taking us for a fool...

2 Likes

Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by Anduku: 10:43pm On Sep 12, 2018
ooshinibos:

you must be a coconut brown man , you cant even different between racism and humor ...the cartoon in latent racism ...it an oyibo genetic disorder , we blacks have got used to it ..its not fault coconut Anduku ..
do you think the cartoonist will have created the cartoon if Serena was white ...think very well Anduku before you answer and don't use your Nigerian brain here
Ignorant people like you are always the loudest in the room. A Little research about Mark Knight the cartoonist who drew that sketch would have shown you a lot of uncomplimentary caricatures he has drawn about white people. He even drew one just few days ago about nick kyrgios a white male Tennis player. Next time before you go off raving and ranting, you might want to get better knowledge of what you're ranting about. I have posted below for your benefit some of the cartoons by Knight critical of white people who behaved badly just like Serena behaved very badly on Saturday

Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by mikolo80: 11:08pm On Sep 12, 2018
BruncleZuma:
It's racist

The above will stand as long as those quoting me do not know the origins of this depiction of blacks.
it will stand as long as we need their visas more than they need ours
Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by sen2paco: 11:30pm On Sep 12, 2018
Bro ur so right..the aussies are the worst racists coz i live in australia.its terrible
intruxive:
angry
These australians are the worst set of racist whites, they think everyone is like the aborigines they robbed off their land

Imagine turning osaka to a white blond too, meaning her natural heritage doesn't fit his intended message of better white

2 Likes

Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by sen2paco: 11:31pm On Sep 12, 2018
[Coz ur blindedquote author=Slim101 post=71135560]In my opinion, I don't see the cartoon depiction as racist.
It's a cartoon for Peter's sake, the characters doesn't have to look exactly like them. [/quote]
Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by Birminghamvirgo(m): 12:38am On Sep 13, 2018
how on earth does dis one looks like Serena

Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by Rossikki: 2:13am On Sep 13, 2018
Anduku:

Shut up and go learn about the history of western racist depictions and imagery of blacks using physical stereotypes.

The problem with many of you Nigerians is that you are completely clueless and ignorant about the civil rights history and struggles in the New World, and the various expressions of white racism that blacks over there have come to know inside out for several generations. THEY are telling you that depiction was racist, and you, who know nothing about that history and experience, are sitting here in Nigeria and mouthing ignorantly, that ''there is nothing racist about that''.

JUST KEEP SHUT AND LEARN, because you are embarrassing.

2 Likes

Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by Rossikki: 2:19am On Sep 13, 2018
ayodiya:

You hv time to explain, most Nigerians don't know when racist remarks nd insults are throw to them subtly

Honestly. They are totally clueless. Back when I was in the US, my cousin would tell me that at his workplace, some Nigerian guys would be working, and the white bosses would be making racist comments against them to their faces. The Nigerians would be laughing with them. Afterwards, the black American workers would go in and explain to the Nigerians that they were being racially insulted by the whites.

1 Like

Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by Rossikki: 2:33am On Sep 13, 2018
lilbest4:
We are not equals

Oh lawd, please just sneak back into your little hole of self-imposed inferiority and self-hate from which you crept out of. We are not all like you, thank goodness. Brainless dullard. The continent ''cannot rule itself'' yet you are doing far better than your illiterate peasant grandparents did when whites ruled your continent. Mumu.

1 Like

Re: Mark Knight Accused Of Racism For Drawing Serena Williams Cartoon by Rossikki: 2:40am On Sep 13, 2018
lilbest4:

So if you are treated like dirt because of your skin colour you'll believe you deserve it?

Hope you don't transfer your self-hate and dumbitude to your children.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Real Madrid Fans Ask Hazard To Kiss The Badge / Egypt Coach, Queiroz Apologizes To Nigerians / Nigeria Vs Tunisia (4 - 2): Semi-Final U-17 AFCON On Wednesday 24 April 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.