Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,937 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:22 AM

Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World (4992 Views)

From Salt Lake City To Las Vegas: My Road Trip Pictures / My Trip From Benin City To SINGAPORE (photos) / Lagosians Groan As Massive Traffic Jams Bring The City To A Halt. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by NewAjala(m): 4:44pm On Sep 11, 2018
Hello Readers,

I have been an adjunct reader in the travel section for ages and praying silently for God to answer my prayers of traveling to see the world someday.

I am not a perfect writer but it is my desire to put in words every journey I make outside the borders of Nigeria.

So, starting in earnest, a little introduction : I am a shy guy, middle 20s and resident of Benin city, my aim is to explore the world little by little, as once said by St. Augustine, "The world is a book and those who do not travel, read only one page". Though I have long dreamt of seeing beautiful places like Paris, Sydney, Seoul, Silicon Valley et al and I know with prayers and hardwork I'll get there someday..

I have got my international passport since August 2015 and never had a stamp on it lol, due to expire 2020, A virgin passport from procurement till expiration is not my portion! Amen!. So my plans : I already made some side savings of about 150k and intend to use 100k out of it for my wanderlust adventure.

I am planning on visiting Ivory Coast and Ghana for the period of my one week leave coming by end of September, yes it is a very tight budget so I'd just rule out some major things that may cost me, well this journey is actually aimed at deflowering my beautiful virgin passport.

My journey will begin from the ancient city of Benin to Lagos then straight to Abidjan for two nights stay then to Ghana for another two nights then back to Lagos and finally to Benin city.

Suggestions would be highly appreciated as I embark on this journey: Best route to take, would my 100k be enough for a budget traveller? Places to visit for a budget traveller, and most importantly if you are in same shoe as me then we can make this journey together...

Grab a bowl of popcorn and beer, sit and enjoy my story as I sorjourn this path of my life.

1 Like

Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by Mizwisdom(f): 4:49pm On Sep 11, 2018
Following....
Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by Alejoc(m): 4:55pm On Sep 11, 2018
Need a partner? I have my money.... cool
Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by NewAjala(m): 5:32pm On Sep 11, 2018
I have been searching for hotels online in both Ghana and Abidjan for two nights stay and it is so amazing to find some affordable hostels which are almost same price for some average hotels here in Benin city but better off by far!!!

Transportation: Which way Nigeria? Inflation everywhere!! Checking on some transportation companies online but couldn't get their prices but only from folks which is also a hearsay thing.. 30,500 from Lagos to Abidjan as at late last month with Young shall grow. Still searching for an affordable price from other transport companies sha... Else I may just turn the table around taking bus from Lagos to Accra for the first two nights and then to Abidjan for the other two nights then straight back to Lagos... Contributions are well needed here o from frequent travelers on the best and affordable route to take.

Perks: I only have my international passport yet and proposed to do my Yellow fever card few days before leaving...
Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by NewAjala(m): 5:36pm On Sep 11, 2018
Alejoc:
Need a partner? I have my money.... cool

Hope you be lady sha... (just kidding grin ) Then we can plan together.. Drop your contact
Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by NewAjala(m): 5:28pm On Sep 19, 2018
Greetings...

So today I was at Efex Executives to make some inquiries and my findings are below :

One way from Benin (virgin passport) N25,500
Return ticket to Lagos N53,550

Now here is the trick, I got the below prices online for same Efex which I asked why the difference but them but no reasonable answer..

One way (virgin) from Benin N22,950
Return ticket to Lagos N33,300

Buses leaves at most 7am and arrive Accra at about 1am the next day (only breakfast is served at the interim).

My other analysis going first to Lagos will surely allow me to lodge before heading to Accra, and for a budget traveller that's a bad idea..

If you have other suggestions let me know..
Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by NewAjala(m): 5:34pm On Sep 19, 2018
Abidjan Abidjan... This city is calling but I doubt my finance would still cover for it's expenses..

Lately there have been a feeling of retraction, I don't know how natural this is.. I just feel this tensed as the date draws closer..

Is this a normal feeling? Tho I still crave to do this adventure!

Stay tuned...
Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by NewAjala(m): 6:52am On Sep 23, 2018
UPDATE

So yesterday I met with a friend from Lome online who has volunteered to host and show me around Lomé...

So excited as this will cut down my expenses a bit.

Adrenalin rush!!!

1 Like

Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by kindklemz(m): 9:30am On Sep 23, 2018
Keenly watching with legs crossed.
Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by NewAjala(m): 11:56am On Sep 26, 2018
UPDATE..

woke up this morning with same adrenalin rush, filled with excitement... Prepared noodles.... Rushed to take my bath... Prayed... Ate and zoomed off to the bus park..

Got there and saw other passengers awaiting to board.. Gave my passport and ticket to the desk ladies for recording and was asked to pay 500 Naira for my Yellow fever card which I did and waiting till we boarded.

We left the park at exactly 8:20am. We were given rice and can water as breakfast (the meat nó big reach my little finger, Just quick finish like Airtel data grin ).

We still on the road now... Approaching lagos.

Stay tuned.

4 Likes

Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by NewAjala(m): 1:43pm On Sep 26, 2018
Just passed an accident scene!! Didn't get a photo of one of the cars.

May God keep us Amen

Network no let me upload am since

Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by NewAjala(m): 3:14pm On Sep 26, 2018
Just arriving Efex Iyana Ipaja terminal. We have just been crawling coupled with the ever steady lagos traffic at every turn.

I just wonder when we go reach Accra
Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by NewAjala(m): 4:37pm On Sep 26, 2018
UPDATE

Efex is seriously casted!!! Buh I will not let it take the best of my adventure, We still at Lagos, stopped to pick other passengers whose bus got spoilt..

Las Las man go arrive safely.

1 Like

Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by voraz(m): 4:55pm On Sep 26, 2018
Congrats bro. Keep us updated. Safe travels!

1 Like

Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by voraz(m): 4:56pm On Sep 26, 2018
NewAjala:
UPDATE..

woke up this morning with same adrenalin rush, filled with excitement... Prepared noodles.... Rushed to take my bath... Prayed... Ate and zoomed off to the bus park..

Got there and saw other passengers awaiting to board.. Gave my passport and ticket to the desk ladies for recording and was asked to pay 500 Naira for my Yellow fever card which I did and waiting till we boarded.

We left the park at exactly 8:20am. We were given rice and can water as breakfast (the meat nó big reach my little finger, Just quick finish like Airtel data grin ).

We still on the road now... Approaching lagos.

Stay tuned.

How much was Benin to Lagos?
Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by NewAjala(m): 5:46pm On Sep 26, 2018
voraz:

How much was Benin to Lagos?

It's a direct bus to Accra I booked for
Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by voraz(m): 6:17pm On Sep 26, 2018
NewAjala:

It's a direct bus to Accra I booked for

OK. Enjoy the trip. Keep us posted bros �

1 Like

Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by NewAjala(m): 6:44pm On Sep 26, 2018
voraz:

OK. Enjoy the trip. Keep us posted bros �

Thanks, sure I will
Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by Kingzy4pep(m): 11:45pm On Sep 26, 2018
NewAjala:

Thanks, sure I will
Benin to Accra is how much, please.
Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by Lexusgs430: 5:11am On Sep 27, 2018
You are not only a newajala, but a very braveajala.........

Ajala travel all over the world (in Obey's voice).......

3 Likes

Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by Nobody: 9:24am On Sep 27, 2018
Lexusgs430:

I need your help sir.

I'm using Gionee M5plus but I want to flash Gionee M6 firmware into my m5,please are there any implications?
I heard it's wrong but what about now that both phones are from the same manufacturer?
Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by Julivas(m): 12:08pm On Sep 27, 2018
voraz:
Congrats bro. Keep us updated. Safe travels!
Good afternoon, trust you are doing well. I have replied your pm. Thanks
Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by NewAjala(m): 12:11pm On Sep 27, 2018
UPDATE

phew!!!! It has been a VERY hectic ride I must tell. We finally dropped down at Efex station Kokolomhle (dunno if I got that right) at about 6:50am.

Tired and exhausted we all stepped on the soil of Accra (a wonderful feeling grin ). I spoke with a taxi driver to take me to my hotel which is around the area, the guy charge me 10cedis , omo I para o na so we drag am from 5 to 7cedis omo them no gree to I just entered, he himself nó even too know the place but we later found it.
Getting there was a cold feeling with the old and rustic looking appearance, reminded me of one of the old novels them dey force me read that year lol.. Finally met the receptionist who was just waking up from sleep after the much knocking and bell ringing..

To God be the glory all room was occupied (my budget room), I was happy because this particular hotel was my third choice but I later made it first because of its closeness or the city center and was cheaper.

In no time I fell back to my first love which was still in same area but a bit afar.. I opened Google Map na so mb finish, I say no be me Ghana go use shine!!!

Bought card of 10cedis and subscribed for 1GB 7days validity. Got back on Google and found the place, I stopped a taxi man he say e no know am, so instead of me wasting money I decided to trek, after all it's morning and I'm from Nigeria! Lol.

In 15mins I was there(million kisses for Google Maps, very reliable) only outside Naija o.

Lodge in for 75cedis per night, entering the room Lo n behold a beautiful American girl stepped out of the bathroom... OMG!!

Make Una no think too much sha, she had a flight to catch so we didn't bond well.

Had a warm bath first and bam!! Bed calling!

7 Likes

Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by NewAjala(m): 12:12pm On Sep 27, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Thanks bro.. I just had to kill fear
Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by NewAjala(m): 12:16pm On Sep 27, 2018
Expecting a friend to arrive here too by tomorrow make we scatter GH small... NLC kon make am sweet small lol
Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by NewAjala(m): 12:25pm On Sep 27, 2018
List of my observations in Ghana so far..

* They are 1hr behind us.

* It gets bright in the morning as early as 5am.. 6am brightness for Naija.

* Their taxis clean abeg and well organized .

* Ghanaians are warm and friendly people.

* Traffic free roads, No touts (agbero) .

* Most of them will always want a tip from you even after you pay them their money for service rendered o .. ( I no know weda dem write JJC for my head) .

* 99% roads I have seen so far are tarred, clean and open to some reasonable space and can be accessed practically with a Google Map.

Na watin be tro tro sef angry
Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by NewAjala(m): 12:37pm On Sep 27, 2018
Pictures taken from a moving bus

3 Likes

Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by NewAjala(m): 12:39pm On Sep 27, 2018
Continuing

1 Like

Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by willsonzzy: 1:43pm On Sep 27, 2018
Hope you are enjoying your stay, even the commercial buses they obey traffic light without any police officer,24/7 power supply,I live in spintex you can holla if you wish

2 Likes

Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by voraz(m): 4:54pm On Sep 27, 2018
Nice 'BraveAjala'!�

1 Like

Re: Wanderlust Adventure From Benin City To The World by voraz(m): 4:57pm On Sep 27, 2018
Julivas:

Good afternoon, trust you are doing well. I have replied your pm. Thanks

OK sir. I'll check soon..... Lemme leave the reins of Free Basics lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Do I Get To Hughes Avenue, Alagomeji, Yaba From Oshodi Isale / Xmas In The US !!!! Lets Share Pictures!! / I Am A Plumber I Want To Travel Abroad Were Do I Start

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.