Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,279 members, 7,780,640 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:19 PM

Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? (5628 Views)

Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space / Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World / Resentment Towards Gov. Peter Odili (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by naijamini(m): 1:14am On Jul 03, 2010
So, to watch the Ghana-USA match I walked into a sports bar. Two chairs from me sat an African-American guy who I first mistook for a Ghanian.

Well, we got talking about football, and he soon mentioned that when a lot of black people in South Africa were asked on TV who they wanted to win the answer was USA. This obviously pained him very much. I did not see all these stuff as Ghana's first goal was already scored before I walked in. He soon asked me who I wanted to win. Frankly, I was hoping Ghana wins but I heged my answer by saying "Ghana, but I also like the way the US plays". When I called for another beer grin, he offered to pay, and of course I thanked him. However, after a couple of sips of the beer he asked me again, "now who do you want to win" and he got the same answer.

Why am I writing this uninteresting story anyway? The reason is this. I am beginning to wonder why he asked me again the question about who I want to win , after offering the beer. Taking by itself this doesn't mean much, but for the fact that after our conversation had gone into the state of things in Africa he uttered the following phrase at a point: "you people sold us". That got me wondering. Was he trying to replay the false stories of Africans selling each other to the Europeans for gifts?

I have heard that African-Americans hold a grudge against Africa for slavery. While there is some basis for it I have never believed it to be anything that is general or considered to be a major factor in the black man's predicament in America or the world today.

Is it really true that, beyond street talk, there is a current of resentment against Africans for "you people sold us"? Should this be? How do we right the wrongs, while recognizing that nobody alive today sold anybody else alive today into slavery? With the level of suffering and the rate at which Africans are jumping by leg, makeshift boats, plane tires, and so on in addition to legitimate means, is there any real basis for resentment against those living on the mother continent today?

Now, I am aware of increasing cooperation between Africans at home and the disapora, but is there a general feeling/misunderstanding that if unaddressed would doom any potential progress?
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by strangleyo: 3:25am On Jul 03, 2010
African Americans have many problems, but Africans are the least of them, or so I should hope anyways.
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by bkbabe99: 4:26am On Jul 03, 2010
Speaking as someone who knows both sides of the aisle, I'll say; We (most African-Americans) dont give two hoots about Africans from the motherland. BUt, it has been my experience that most Africans think (for some unfathomable reasons) that we are beneath them and that they are somehow better. i guess u can blame the media for this!
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by udezue(m): 4:56am On Jul 03, 2010
Whatever they need to get over it. Rival tribes sold eachother and some were also deceived into thinking they were going to work and come back. Its sad history but its time to move da hell on.

1 Like

Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by bkbabe99: 5:25am On Jul 03, 2010
udezue:

Whatever they need to get over it. Rival tribes sold eachother and some were also deceived into thinking they were going to work and come back. Its sad history but its time to move da hell on.

Cry babies, just like the BIAFRANS! Lol. Most of them gotta be Ibos for real!
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by naijamini(m): 6:03am On Jul 03, 2010
@bk/babe99
Thank you for being honest about how you see it. I think your statement shows that we have serious misunderstandings going on between us. The gulf that divided the two groups after forced separation of the slavery trade cannot be bridged so easily.

African-Americans are intimately aware, by experience, of the issues but the general populace down in Africa are not - believe me I had no idea until I got out of the continent. Although you get to learn about the slave trade in the history classes, you are taught this with no sense that this was the greatest tragedy in human history or what it means for your past, present or future. The most important stuff you remember from the history classes have to do with the "achievements" of the colonialists - the famous "Mungo Park discovering River Niger" phrase. Here, I am not talking about uneducated people, this applies to the educated Africans as well. I am beginning to link this back to leadership of the motherland, which seems incapable of using its high office to make sure our educational system provides an accurate history of what went down, even if that involves accepting some blame. For example, where is a tour of the slave departure point as part of schooling in Nigeria or other African countries? Where are the special events that remember the untold horrors suffered by our people as they are forcibly taking from their land? Unless Africa undergoes a thorough catharsis of these events, we are not going to move forward no matter how long we pretend.

However, in not realizing the above general lack of awareness of the history, it seems that the returning African-American or one who meets an African anywhere assumes that the latter understands the same history that he knows so well and/or that he has the same feeling about it. It seems to me that out of these two incompatible views arose certain generalizations that became popular.

I can testify to blunt statements made by Africans about African-Americans that are borne out of this type of generalizations and reveal crass ignorance of African-American history. However, rather than throw the African-American into confrontation with his mother-continent counterpart there is a need to reexamine why the average African reacts this way, and this goes back to my above points. It is this singular reason why our history books continue to feed kids the same lies the colonialists left for us - in fact most African leaders to date were stooges of the colonialists to whom the latter left power - who else would they give the power?

While it is possible for the African-American to take better advantage of the system under which they now live, and continue the fight for real freedom, in my view they are generally doing better than many an average motherland African. The African-Americaon does seem to realize that the average African would, with good reason, grab half or even less of the opportunity available to African-Americans with both hands in place of what they deal with on the continent today. It seems that the African is saying what is your excuse, while the African-American is saying why the heck do you want to be here where you are treatd as lower animals? There is a grain of truth to both questions, but these are simplistic views of the gulf that needs to be bridged - we seem to be talking past each other.

I think a dialogue on these issues would be healthy.

bk/babe99:

Speaking as someone who knows both sides of the aisle, I'll say; We (most African-Americans) dont give two hoots about Africans from the motherland. BUt, it has been my experience that most Africans think (for some unfathomable reasons) that we are beneath them and that they are somehow better. i guess u can blame the media for this!
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by naijamini(m): 6:21am On Jul 03, 2010
@udezue
Could you explain why you have these views about African-American history? Take a look at the picture below and tell us which of the kids in there were deceived by the "opportunity" to work somewhere?

udezue:

Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by naijaking1: 7:00am On Jul 03, 2010
^^^
Is that not Othman dan Fodio in that picture showing captured TiV, Nupe, and Igbira people?
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by Acidosis(m): 7:39am On Jul 03, 2010
naijamini:

Taking by itself this doesn't mean much, but for the fact that after our conversation had gone into the state of things in Africa he uttered the following phrase at a point:"you people sold us".

Is it really true that, beyond street talk, there is a current of resentment against Africans for "you people sold us"?

This is funny. THEY SHOULD BE THANKING THEIR STARS!
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by metalgong5(m): 7:47am On Jul 03, 2010
bk/babe99:

Latino bastar.d now trying to be African American just because your adulterous mama is being hammered by a Nigerian whom you call your STEP DAD.
Shame!! . . . . . Better start to look for your biological father.
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by UcheUwadi(m): 7:49am On Jul 03, 2010
As someone who is mixed with Igbo and African American, I must say that there is some resentment in both communities. You will hear derogatory remarks coming from both groups.

But I don't think it is outright resentment. Africans who were raised in America tend to blend in with Black Americans so they do not have much of a problem. And many Black American women are attracted to Africans.

I think this little drama is way overblown.

Now I see both sides of the fence due to the fact of my mixed ethnic heritage.
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by bgees(m): 5:02pm On Jul 03, 2010
naijamini:

@bk/babe99
Thank you for being honest about how you see it. I think your statement shows that we have serious misunderstandings going on between us. The gulf that divided the two groups after forced separation of the slavery trade cannot be bridged so easily.

Thank him? bk/babe does not speak for anybody. he is not intelligent enough to speak for anybody.

As for your question, I think the issue is overblown as it is not common. Many African- Americans actually get along with Africans and when they don't get along , the slave trade is not always the reason.

You people sold us
Honestly, I won't really blame the African kings that sold slaves to the white man. Most of the slaves they sold were prisoners of war(and not their own tribe), they had to sell them to finance more wars and buy superior weapons like guns because those days you had to be strong or else your kingdom would be taken over.
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by EzeUche(m): 5:06pm On Jul 03, 2010
^^^^^^^

Gbam!

And that UcheUwadi man might be on to something. Being mixed, he probably knows a lot more about the issue than any of us and I doubt Bkbaybe can speak for anyone! Let alone African Americans.
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by Blazay(m): 5:09pm On Jul 03, 2010
The resentment will forever run deep. No end in sight.
Blame the unfortunate occurence of slavery in the collective history of 'blacks'.

I have heard that African-Americans hold a grudge against Africa for slavery. While there is some basis for it I have never believed it to be anything that is general or considered to be a major factor in the black man's predicament in America or the world today.

Is it really true that, beyond street talk, there is a current of resentment against Africans for "you people sold us"? Should this be? How do we right the wrongs, while recognizing that nobody alive today sold anybody else alive today into slavery? With the level of suffering and the rate at which Africans are jumping by leg, makeshift boats, plane tires, and so on in addition to legitimate means, is there any real basis for resentment against those living on the mother continent today?

grin

The greatest irony for many centuries to come.
The African-Americans do not realize how fortunate they are, as they keep searching for that lost umbilical cord buried in Africa.
Instead of making good the opportunity of being divorced from Africa by God Himself, they choose to whine and go a-hating.
Many Africans are begging to be re-colonized or re-enslaved like you pointed out(myself inclusive) and MOST of the African-American races are looking for some DNA lost in Africa.

Damn if you do and damn if you don't.
Human beings can never be satisfied.

The funniest part is that modern day slavery is still being practiced all over Africa in terms of many Africans being exported for cheap labor and sex trade in the 21st century.

Go figure.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200912140642.html?viewall=1

[b]

Nigeria: Couple Faces Jail in U.S.
Achilleus-Chud Uchegbu
14 December 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Nigerian couple based in Arlington, Texas in the United States of America (USA), is now facing the possibility of spending about 55 years in jail if convicted of an alleged slavery against a widow they brought to the US from Nigeria as a nanny.

The couple identified as Emmanuel Nnaji and Ngozi Nnaji is now standing trial before a Texas district court for allegedly holding their nanny, whose name was protected, against her will and without paying her for her services as a domestic staff.

An investigation report signed by Jennifer Baker, a special agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) and approved by Charles Bleil, a judge, said the nanny was brought from Nigeria to the US under disguise and was held in servitude without payment for her services as domestic staff.

The indictment report said the couple kept the nanny, who has six children in Nigeria, in the US for nine years without access to her children and family.

Officials believe the Nnajis promised the woman that she would be paid, and there would be support for her children, if she came to work for them as a domestic servant.

Part of the seven-count indictment alleges that the couple used unscrupulous means to get fraudulent immigration documents, confiscated the victim's official documents, secretly kept her in their home and forced her to work long hours with no days off for little or no pay.

[size=16pt]Nnaji is also accused of sexually assaulting the victim and threatening the woman if she called police. [/size]

Officials claim the couple kept the woman isolated from the outside world and refused her requests to be returned home or be paid for her services.

Along with not paying the victim, the couple also allegedly failed to provide support for the victim's children back in Nigeria. Contact with her Nigerian family was also monitored and she was prevented from attending church regularly, the indictment report said.

Arrested on September 30, they have been charged with conspiracy, forced labor, document servitude, alien harboring and false statements.

Part of the charged read: "Knowingly and willfully combine, confederate, conspire and agree with each other and others known and unknown to the grand jury, to commit offences against the United States in violation of USC 1589, specifically, to provide or obtain the labour or services of a Nigerian female national known as C: (2) by means of a scheme, plan, and pattern intended to cause C to believe that, if she did not perform such labour and services, she would suffer serious harm or restraint and (3) by means of the abuse and threatened abuse of the law and legal processes, in violation of title 18, United states Code, sections 371 and 1589(a)(2) and (3)(2004)(amended by Public law 106-386, effective December 2008, and re-codified as Title 18 United States Code Sections 1589(a)(3) and (4).

"Knowingly and willfully combine, conspire and agree together with others known and unknown to the grand jury, knowing and in reckless disregard of the fact that C, an alien, came to, entered, and remained in the United States in violation of law, to conceal, habour and shield C from detection for the purpose of private financial gain: in violation of Title 8, United States Code, sections 1324(a)(1)(A)(iii), 1324(a)(1)(A)(v)(I), and 1324(a)(I)(B)(i).

"knowingly conceal, remove, confiscate and posses the purported passport and immigration documents of an individual known as C in the course of a violation of Title 18, US code, section 1589; with the intent to violate Title 18, United states code, Section 1589; and to prevent or restrict or attempt to prevent or restrict, without lawful authority, C's liberty to move or travel, in order to maintain the labour or services of C when C was a victim of a severe form of human trafficking in persons; in violation of Title 18, US Code 1589.

Charge four specifically accused Ngozi Nnaji of lying about their servant's coming to the US.

It reads: "On or about December 4, 2006, the forth Worth division in the northern district of Texas or elsewhere, the defendant, Ngozi Nnaji, knowingly and willfully make false, fictitious and fraudulent statement or representation, when the defendant stated to Federal Bureau of Investigation agents the following: that in May 1999, C (whom the defendant, Ngozi Nnaji, identified by name), surprised Ngozi by showing up at her house; that at no time did C work as an employee for the Nnajis; and that C was not required to do any work around the house, when in fact, as the defendant well knew, C did not surprise Ngozi by showing up at her house but rather, was brought to the United States by the Nnajis in 1997 to perform child care as an employee; and that C was required to work for the Nnajis full time as their domestic servant and employee."

It also accused Nnaji of lying about the widow's remuneration as a domestic employee.

It said about Emmanuel Nnaji: "Knowingly and willfully make a materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation when the defendant stated to FBI agents the following: that C ( whom Emmanuel identified by name) came to stay with the Nnajis about May 1999 for two months at the request of C's relatives; that Emmanuel Nnaji never saw C's passport or personal documents and that C cared for Nnajis' child in exchange for room and board, when in fact, as the defendant well knew, C did not come to stay with the Nnajis about may 1999, for two months at the request of C's relatives but rather Emmanuel Nnaji recruited C through Ngozi's Nigerian relative and C came on or about December 11, 1997; that Emmanuel Nnaji did see C's passport and personal documents when he confiscated and kept them, and that C cared for not just one Nnaji child but three children and C cooked, cleaned and laundered clothes and that C did not agree to work in exchange for only room and board but rather was promised a $100.00 per month salary."

[/b]

Any African-Anerican care to trade places with a 'modern-day' Nigerian slave woman in the USA?
See? She was sexually 'gratified' by her "massas" too, free of charge and better 'endowed' than the white "massas". grin cheesy grin
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by Blazay(m): 5:28pm On Jul 03, 2010
Acidosis:

This is funny. THEY SHOULD BE THANKING THEIR STARS!

Amen to that.
While I do not want to live in those horrible times of the slavery business.,
I really do not see any reason why ANY African-American should be whinning about slavery.
We are only descendants of what went down.
My ancestors sold your ancestors.
So? Move on please.
You were not there, I was not there.
Move on.

Right now, there should be an exchange program for those African Americans desparately searching for a place in the "Motherland".

I will gladly give up my spot and take his or hers even the darkest holes of Mississippi.

Let us just exchange passports please. I will gladly give any African-American my spot in Africa. No DNA necessary please.
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by paddylo1(m): 5:36pm On Jul 03, 2010
Thank him? bk/babe does not speak for anybody. he is not intelligent enough to speak for anybody.

Damn. . lol. . That was harsh. . .anyway this topic has been dissected enough at the racism section
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by paddylo1(m): 5:39pm On Jul 03, 2010
I will gladly give up my spot and take his or hers even the darkest holes of Mississippi.

I am afraid but u dont know what u are talking about. . . .
sigh. .who no go no know. . .

so hopefully one day u will find yourself in mississippi
and see whats really good then. . .
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by naijamini(m): 5:43pm On Jul 03, 2010
bgees:

As for your question, I think the issue is overblown as it is not common. Many African- Americans actually get along with Africans and when they don't get along , the slave trade is not always the reason.
Certainly many African-Americans get along well with Africans. I am wondering if there is an undercurrent of resentment under the surface. It is like all the tribal conflicts in Africa. See the Hutu and Tutsi neighbors in good times, and you would not know how easily they would get rid of each other given the right conditions. So we need to dig deeper and address the fault lines.

Honestly, I won't really blame the African kings that sold slaves to the white man. Most of the slaves they sold were prisoners of war(and not their own tribe), they had to sell them to finance more wars and buy superior weapons like guns because those days you had to be strong or else your kingdom would be taken over.
You won't blame them! Who do you blame then? The children and women that were raided for slavery? I guess those hiding our national resources in Swiss accounts today simply need more houses, cars and funds for the future of their children and grandchildren, yet unborn? You are not thinking right, I am afraid. Nobody is saying that anybody alive today should be held responsible for what they did not actually participate in as an individual. This is the same reason why it is terrible to hear Africans ask for reparations from the West. However, the way we do things today is an offshoot of the way we were doing them back then, and unless we reexamine this history and make a good-faith effort to achieve unity of purpose the suspicions that opened up those ages ago will continue to frustrate our progress.
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by naijamini(m): 5:58pm On Jul 03, 2010
Blazay:

I really do not see any reason why ANY African-American should be whinning about slavery.
That is the misunderstanding or ignorance I think is the basis of potential friction. They are not whinning about slavery - that is the "others" line. They are living the effects of slavery today, and because that is their unpalatable experience it does not seem reasonable to them that any completely "free" African from the mother continent would want to give up his "freedom". Therein lies the problem: Africans are not really free. We are ruled by the "same" colonialist in a different skin - and they are even more cruel than those of past centuries.

This here is only a SAD truth, but not something to be happy to do! It is the outcome of what happened in the past which we have not corrected, and so our future is tied to the whims of the same colonialists we asked to leave our land. Ah! This is what baffles the African-American, I believe. As I have heard it described Africans are acting like the elephant tied with a strong chain to a big tree for so long that when the chain is cut loose he refuses to leave - being so used to that condition he doesn't recognize freedom anymore. It would take a major new impetus, enough to overcome the strength and duration of the chaining, to get him moving again.
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by Blazay(m): 6:03pm On Jul 03, 2010
paddy_lo:

I am afraid but u dont know what u are talking about. . . .
sigh. .who no go no know. . .

so hopefully one day u will find yourself in mississippi
and see whats really good then. . .

I can't wait. I am still trying to raise money to free one of my kidnapped relatives here in Nigeria(the fifth one alone this year)
Hopefully not on board some slave ship as we write all these.
At least Mississippi will be "mo" beta than Ajegunle.
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by Blazay(m): 6:16pm On Jul 03, 2010
naijamini:

That is the misunderstanding or ignorance I think is the basis of potential friction. They are not whinning about slavery - that is the "others" line. They are living the effects of slavery today, and because that is their unpalatable experience it does not seem reasonable to them that any completely "free" African from the mother continent would want to give up his "freedom". Therein lies the problem: Africans are not really free. We are ruled by the "same" colonialist in a different skin - and they are even more cruel than those of past centuries.

This here is only a SAD truth, but not something to be happy to do! It is the outcome of what happened in the past which we have not corrected, and so our future is tied to the whims of the same colonialists we asked to leave our land. Ah! This is what baffles the African-American, I believe. As I have heard it described Africans are acting like the elephant tied with a strong chain to a big tree for so long that when the chain is cut loose he refuses to leave - being so used to that condition he doesn't recognize freedom anymore. It would take a major new impetus, enough to overcome the strength and duration of the chaining, to get him moving again.

God bless you.

Bob Marley the prophet comes to mind.

The "Redemption' song. We need to emancipate ourselves from mental slavery. We collectively still remain the proverbial 'Buffalo soldiers, stolen from Africa'.

Just wondering what the way forward mght be regarding this 'major impetus'. Like you aptly noted, enought to overcome the strenght and duration of the chaining(especially mentally) to get moving again.

Very well-articulated.

I love that. cool
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by udezue(m): 6:38pm On Jul 03, 2010
Naijamini,
What views? The so-called animosity isn't that bad please
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by cap28: 7:23pm On Jul 03, 2010
Naijamini this is a very interesting topic to which I'd like to make a few points:

For a very long time now africans and african americans have deliberately been kept in the dark as to what really happened in those dark days of slavery, the white slave master was able to completely brainwash the african american into believing that africans were primitive savages and that way of thinking continues to date (see bk babe's comments) some educated african americans on the other hand are aware that whitey is still up to his old tricks of divide and conquer.  In the case of africans whitey used religion and western education to destroy our minds and our ability to think for ourselves, this is why to date the average african idolises and mimics the ways of white people.

The white man cleverly taught us to hate ourselves (he did the same with the african americans) and today we celebrate our "acheivements" by comparing ourselves to whites instead of forging our own unique destinies.

We have been convinced by whitey that we are an inferior race and our actions demonstrate that we have fully subscribed to that school of thought.  It will take years of deprogramming for this to be rectified, our only hope now is future generations coming up (any person below the age of 18)  as i feel the current generation of blacks are a lost cause. 

He (the white man)  continues to do his utmost best to keep africans and african americans divided and hostile towards each other hence the revised version of the slave trade and the rewriting of history.  Have you ever come across any historical account of the slave trade which was written by a white historian which accepts full responsibility for the atrocity which was the slave trade? of course not, instead what you hear are series of excuses - we did not invent it , they were practiicing it amongst themselves before we arrived, the arabs were enslaving them before we arrived etc but the truth is that no where on this planet have human beings been reduced to chattel in the way that black africans were by european slave traders. 

The whites continue to shift the blame onto africans, conveniently forgetting that they were the ones who came with the guns and caused the mayhem and terror which led to africans turning against their own people.  In a bid to escape enslavement themselves many tribes turned against other tribes all of this instigated and orchestrated by white slave traders. 

If the whites are genuine in their desire for the truth to be exposed why were people like Marcus Garvey, Malcolm X, Kwame Ture hounded out of america or in the case of Malcolm X murdered ?  These were after all men who created an awareness in the minds of african americans, teaching them to be proud of their african roots and explaining to them how they came to be in the position of subservience conferred upon them first by slavery and subsequently by a vicious system of segregation known as Jim Crow.

The only time a black person is welcolmed with open arms by the white american establishment is when that person chooses to bow and scrape before whites, these are the type of uncle toms who talk about being grateful for slavery and who like to delude themselves into thinking that they are better off than continental africans, they convince themselves that they're lives are better because they are eating the scraps and left overs that the white superemacist establishment chooses to give them - (Booker T Washington, WEB du bois).  These uncle tom's continue to sing the praises of white supremacy claiming that they are better off under racist uncle sam who degrades them, denies them their humanity and treats them like second class citizens in a country that was built on the sweat and blood of their ancestors.

All i can say is it is time to wake up and understand that we (africans and african americans) are both victims of one of the most heinous systems invented by man - white supremacist capitalism, white supremacist capitalism is what caused the depletion of man power from africa, the plunder and pillage of the african continent, the degradaion and abuse of people of african descent in the diaspora and eventually the creation of the most powerful nation on earth - the united states of america, but all done at the expense of the black african man.  Has anything changed to date - i woudl say no - blacks all over the world continue to be exploited, degraded and abused wherever we go in the world, therefore I think its time for us to understand that we should forget about the antagonism and start working together, this was Marcus Garvey's message - the whites knew this and they cut him down before he could become too powerful, he was even denied entry into africa because the white colonialists thought he might instigate the overthrow of the white colonialists.
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by bgees(m): 9:36pm On Jul 03, 2010
naijamini:

You won't blame them! Who do you blame then? The children and women that were raided for slavery? I guess those hiding our national resources in Swiss accounts today simply need more houses, cars and funds for the future of their children and grandchildren, yet unborn? You are not thinking right, I am afraid. Nobody is saying that anybody alive today should be held responsible for what they did not actually participate in as an individual. This is the same reason why it is terrible to hear Africans ask for reparations from the West. However, the way we do things today is an offshoot of the way we were doing them back then, and unless we reexamine this history and make a good-faith effort to achieve unity of purpose the suspicions that opened up those ages ago will continue to frustrate our progress.

Those hiding our national resources and those kings I mentioned are two different kinds of people . the kings did it for what they thought was the good of the entire Kingdom or empire whatever the case may be ,not like present African leaders who are just selfish.

And who do I blame? Of course I blame the white man. because he initiated it, they could have brought their own slaves from Europe.
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by naijamini(m): 10:17pm On Jul 03, 2010
@bgees
So you are saying those kings made a mistake. This is disputable because many kings infact saw the potential damage these intruders can do and tried to resist them. Others took advantage and cooperated, and even took it upon themselves to do far beyond what the foreigners asked. Until recently I did not realize that the British never had a large force to conquer their portion of Africa - most of their soldiers were natives whom they set against their people. The famous King Jaja of Opobo was at first a child slave , but rose from a petty trade to become King of Opobo and middleman between the coast and palm oil plantations that were harvested by slaves, supported the invasion of Asante by the British and was honored for it. His troubles started when he monopolized the palm oil trade against the wishes of his "friends" and was captured and deported. The whole point of the above is that a sweeping description of what went on does not apply.

While the responsibility of what happened to the people that they took from Africa's shores fall squarely on those who metted out the most evil acts possible to fellow humans, the role of each group in that eventuality cannot be ignored. Even today parents that give up their kid for adoption in opulent homes tend to regret it after many years and often find that their children, if they were old enough to be aware at the time of the separation, tend to habor resentment against their real parents. It is the blood bond.

You talk as if ancient human kingdoms were altruistic. Far from it. We like to call them civilizations today, but all human kingdoms before the present and much of the present are basically the same babaric rulerships. Only democracies have achieved some measure of people power. Whatever is true in the accusations leveled against ancient Africans were equally true, or even more so, of those who made those accusations.
The question still remains. Suppose all of these were mistakes in the distant past, then they do have to take responsibility for their mistakes - right?. This is especially so, given that the effect of that "mistake" is reflected not only in the descendants of those who directly suffered the atrocities of those ages, but also in those left behind on the continent. Our psyche was completely altered by the level of mistrust and dislocation that slavery entailed. If we don't recognize this common experience with the African-American we are simply deceiving ourseves when we talk about African progress.

bgees:

Those hiding our national resources and those kings I mentioned are two different kinds of people . the kings did it for what they thought was the good of the entire Kingdom or empire whatever the case may be ,not like present African leaders who are just selfish.

And who do I blame? Of course I blame the white man. because he initiated it, they could have brought their own slaves from Europe.
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by Beaf: 11:44pm On Jul 03, 2010
It would really help the average Nigerian to read up thoroughly on the evil that the slave trade was. There are several popular families today that made their money from slavery, it wasn't just kings, even ordinary folk joined in. What do some of you think Tinubu square is about? And I am not talking about the Amalgamation ceremony. Some Africans played a very shameful part in the slave trade; nothing can make that right.

Black folk in the diaspora do have big holes where their identities should be; some can cope with it with some ease, but for others, it is a deep and painful hollowness.
Most will not open up, except you are very close to them; when they do open up, it can be an unnerving experience. In Naijamini's case, he'd most likely met a man torn wretched by watching his adopted country (USA) playing with a country he wished he could call home (Ghana). . . And bitterness welled up. Blood is thicker than water.
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by bkbabe99: 2:23am On Jul 04, 2010
UcheUwadi_:

Now I see both sides of the fence due to the fact of my mixed ethnic heritage.

I'm pretty sure we heard u the first time!!!
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by bkbabe99: 2:35am On Jul 04, 2010
bgees:

Foolish Biafran! Clearly the poster mistakened my sarcasm as sincerity! Even the dead skin cells at the bottom of my feet are more intelligent than u, homo!Like I said we really dont give a funck about yall! What we know is this: Yall been brainwashed to think African Americans are a hopeless bunch! Yall been conditioned to ignore the likes of Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, Marcus Garvey, Condoleeza Rice, Collin Powell ect . Uve been made to believe we're all Nicky Barnes', Guy Fishers, Gangsta Rappers and Athletes. Regardless Tho, the average African American could care less about native Africans. The ones who do, want to find out more about their heritage; and thats a very small minority of us. Me? I know where I'm from, I'm just trying to figure out where I'm heading to. Meaning? Could care less about yall; i'm thinking more about me and my loved ones!
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by bkbabe99: 2:40am On Jul 04, 2010
paddy_lo:

[b]Damn. . lol. . That was harsh. . .anyway this topic has been dissected enough at the racism section[/b]

Harsh? U think? Harsher than that scary-looking pic u got in ur Profile with those weird, blazing, red eyes of urs? Huh?
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by Nobody: 2:44am On Jul 04, 2010
I actually dont like to be considered African American.

To explain it further, 90% of the peeps in my high school knew I rather be called African than AA.

Most of the peeps on campus knew I'm Nigerian. . . .

African American. . . .  olorun ma je!
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by paddylo1(m): 2:46am On Jul 04, 2010
Harsh? U think? Harsher than that scary-looking pic u got in your Profile with those weird, blazing, red eyes of urs? Huh?

The eyes are always red homie. . . Did i scare u young thug?. . .why not run to your room hide under your bed and hug a Teddie

As for my pic. . u not supposed to like it. . thats for the ladies fool. . .
Re: Africa And African-americans: How Deep Is The Resentment? by paddylo1(m): 2:54am On Jul 04, 2010
I actually dont like to be considered African American.

To explain it further, 90% of the peeps in my high school knew I rather be called African than AA.

Most of the peeps on campus knew I'm Nigerian. . . .

African American. . . . olorun ma je!

Why God Forbid?. . .i've had me a couple of hot akata chicks in my lifetime. . but i cant see myself marrying one though

I could never pass for an AA. . .cause i still got that Unique Naija accent,so once i speak everyone knows he aint American. . .lol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 / Wike Welcome Buhari With A Handshake And Looks / Lesson For Igbo From The Outcome Of Oyo And Kwara Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.