Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,885 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:37 AM

Why Hurricanes Have Human Names - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Hurricanes Have Human Names (26739 Views)

John Abolarinwa, Ebiakpo Chapele Names Of Pilots On Missing Nigeria Airforce Jet / Abuja Aircraft Crash: Names Of The Seven Personnel Released By Nigerian Air Forc / Who Names Hurricanes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by styless(f): 10:07pm On Sep 13, 2018
Read about this once on DNB (www.dnbstories.com/2017/09/how-hurricanes-are-actually-named.html) -- something about easy rememberance
Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by Ishilove: 10:15pm On Sep 13, 2018
udemzy101:
You didn't answer the question, why is it given a human name? Still waiting for your answer and next time stop beating around the bush.
The reason is there in the second half of the article. That and deductive logic explains it all.

You obviously didn't pay attention to Comprehension during your English language classes

1 Like

Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by billyG(m): 10:21pm On Sep 13, 2018
Oh!Hurricane Ekaete!!
Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by rock003: 10:47pm On Sep 13, 2018
enitey:
Great

Will you Marry me. kiss

1 Like

Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by NairaMaster1(m): 11:09pm On Sep 13, 2018
Aldebaran:
grin
Imagine having names like...

Hurricane AMAKA grin

Hurricane BOLANLE grin

Hurricane RASHEEDATU grin

Just like we have hurricane BUHARI ravaging Nigeria now.

1 Like

Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by Ixora4u: 11:18pm On Sep 13, 2018
chiamanda is yet to address this issue. hurricanes should be given a male name
Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by Offpoint: 11:31pm On Sep 13, 2018
udemzy101:
You didn't answer the question, why is it given a human name? Still waiting for your answer and next time stop beating around the bush.
I thought I was the only one noticing that... had to read like twice, still don't see the reason but story.
Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by Nobody: 3:10am On Sep 14, 2018
Ishilove:

The reason is there in the second half of the article. That and deductive logic explains it all.

You obviously didn't pay attention to Comprehension during your English language classes

Funny.
Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by Nobody: 3:15am On Sep 14, 2018
Yuneek:
By Unigwe Chidinma

You might be surprised to wake up one day and realize that your highly revered name has been given to a Hurricane.

A lot of people would have wondered or still wondering why these disasters are given not just any names but human names, particularly female names - Hurricane Florence, Hurricane Maria, Hurricane Katrina and so on.

Does it mean women spell disaster? Or is it a mere coincidence?

Well, if you are in this category of people who have been asking a thousand and one questions on why Hurricanes have names, this is the best place to be at this time.

I was that curious also and my curiosity drove me into a mini research and I will be summarizing my findings in this piece.

For the benefit of some of us who are oblivious of what a Hurricane even means, let me just offer as little explanation as I can (I didn't study Geology, I actually studied Communications), so I'm too generous to have offered to let you in on a what I found out.

Well, Hurricane is a storm which comes with a violent wind, in particular, a tropical cyclone in the Caribbean.

Hurricanes occur every year, and sometimes there could be multiple hurricanes(say two or three) happening at the same time.

So naming a hurricane would make it easier for meteorologists, researchers, emergency response workers, ship captains and citizens to communicate about specific hurricanes for a better understanding.

At least so that one wouldn't go yarning gibberish or mixing things up when discussing these disasters.

The World Meteorological Organization develops a list of names that are assigned in alphabetical order to tropical storms as they are discovered in each hurricane season.

These names are not fixed as they are subject to be repeated, hence we can have Hurricane Florence this year and then have another Hurricane Florence some other time but at an interval of six years.

However, the names of especially severe storms are permanently retired from use especially when it causes so much death and damage that reusing the name would be insensitive and more like re-opening old wounds and making them fresh all over. For instance, in 2016, Hurricane Matthew and Hurricane Otto caused significant damages and fatalities. Out of respect for the people who suffered losses, the names "Matthew" and "Otto" were retired and will not be used again for tropical storms. Similarly, "Katrina" has been retired from the name list and will not be used again.

History of Atlantic Hurricane Names

Atlantic hurricanes have been given names for a few hundred years. People living in the Caribbean Islands named storms after the saint of the day from the Roman Catholic liturgical calendar for the day on which the hurricane occurred such as "Hurricane San Felipe."

However, when two hurricanes struck on the same date in different years, the hurricanes would be referred to by names such as "Hurricane San Felipe the first" and "Hurricane San Felipe the second."

In the early days of meteorology in the United States, storms were named with a latitude/longitude designation representing the location where the storm originated.

It was quite herculean to remember these names, so this resulted in errors in communication.

In a bid to make it easier, military meteorologists working in the Pacific began to use women's names for storms during the Second World War.

So in 1953 it was adopted by the National Hurricane Center for use on storms originating in the Atlantic Ocean. Once this practice started, hurricane names quickly became part of common language, and public awareness of hurricanes increased dramatically.

In 1978, meteorologists watching storms in the eastern North Pacific began using men's names for half of the storms.

Meteorologists for the Atlantic Ocean began using men's names in 1979. For each year a list of 21 names, each starting with a different letter of the alphabet, was developed and arranged in alphabetical order (names beginning with the letters Q, U, X, Y and Z were not used).

The first tropical storm of the year was given the name beginning with the letter "A," the second with the letter "B" and so on through the alphabet. During even-numbered years, men's names were given to the odd-numbered storms and during odd-numbered years, women's names were given to odd-numbered storms.

Today, the World Meteorological Organization maintains the lists of Atlantic hurricane names. They have six lists which are reused every six years.

https://www.dailynaija.com/post/why-are-hurricanes-named-ever-wondered-here-is-the-answer-you-seek-read

This is educative, informative!
Thank u.
Imagine a fabulous piece of information like this having just 13 Likes so far.
Little wonder, majority of the readers on nairaland are touts, & would not understand the piece.
Just write "Buhari is Buhari" and you would see them spewing thrash. Gullible and lazy youths they are.

1 Like

Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by chidemavian: 3:29am On Sep 14, 2018
what a misleading post. you talked of female names and ended up telling us how hurricanes are named
Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by Nobody: 5:01am On Sep 14, 2018
Aldebaran:
grin

Hurricane AMAKA grin

Hurricane BOLANLE grin

Hurricane amaka would be a disappointment.

1 Like

Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by Emycord: 6:59am On Sep 14, 2018
Aldebaran:
grin

Hurricane AMAKA grin

Hurricane BOLANLE grin

ahh seems we have been having hurricane buhari 2 since 3 years now. the first time he came in 1983 people "hurry" and were "caned" by soldiers for coming late so in the park or taxi you here people shouting hurrycane! hurrycane!!
this time he came with a more serious cane economic cane, boko haram cane, headsmen cane, hardship cane etc. and he is still trying to come back next year

1 Like

Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by TrumpDonald2: 7:26am On Sep 14, 2018
DEXTROVERT:
YOU
MADE
NO
SENSE
AT
ALL

BECAUSE
YOU
DIDN'T
ANSWER
THE
QUESTION
YOU
RAISED

WHY
ARE
HURRICANES
NAMED
AFTER
HUMAN
AND
HOW. DID
THEY
ARRIVE
AT
SUCH
NAMES

HALF BAKED
GRADUATES
LITTERING
EVERYWHERE

Guy, how you carry read the post naa? She answered those questions.

"In the early days of meteorology in the United States, storms were named with a latitude/longitude designation representing the location where the storm originated.
It was quite herculean to remember these names, so this resulted in errors in communication.
In a bid to make it easier, military meteorologists working in the Pacific began to use women's names for storms during the Second World War."

And here too

"Meteorologists for the Atlantic Ocean began using men's names in 1979. For each year a list of 21 names, each starting with a different letter of the alphabet, was developed and arranged in alphabetical order (names beginning with the letters Q, U, X, Y and Z were not used).
The first tropical storm of the year was given the name beginning with the letter "A," the second with the letter "B" and so on through the alphabet. During even-numbered years, men's names were given to the odd-numbered storms and during odd-numbered years, women's names were given to odd-numbered storms."

2 Likes

Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by Tex42(m): 7:56am On Sep 14, 2018
We already experiencing Hurricane Buhari for morethan 3yrs now, why these meteorologist have not added It to their list is sha a topic for another dey.

Hurricane PMB!
Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by Yuneek(f): 8:54am On Sep 14, 2018
People like you are part of the reason why people feel that Nigerian youths are all dumb.
chidemavian:
what a misleading post. you talked of female names and ended up telling us how hurricanes are named
Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by Yuneek(f): 8:57am On Sep 14, 2018
If you read the post and you didn't see the answers you seek, please go back to Primary school. You are part of the problem with Nigeria, perhaps you bribed your way through school. I am truly shocked to see people say that the post didn't answer the question.
Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by Yuneek(f): 8:58am On Sep 14, 2018
Kudos to everyone that read and understood the post. You guys just proved that Nigeria still has some sane people.
Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by Yuneek(f): 8:59am On Sep 14, 2018
And some people are still spewing trash by saying that they didn't see the answer. Yet there are lots of answers embedded in one post. Thank you for making people know that there are still sane and intelligent people left on this space. I was really shocked.
Ornament2003:

This is educative, informative!
Thank u.
Imagine a fabulous piece of information like this having just 13 Likes so far.
Little wonder, majority of the readers on nairaland are touts, & would not understand the piece.
Just write "Buhari is Buhari" and you would see them spewing thrash. Gullible and lazy youths they are.
Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by Oyerinde16(m): 8:59am On Sep 14, 2018
enitey:
Great
I will find u n I will propose to you

1 Like

Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by Yuneek(f): 9:03am On Sep 14, 2018
Go back to school.
Offpoint:

I thought I was the only one noticing that... had to read like twice, still don't see the reason but story.
Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by Yuneek(f): 9:06am On Sep 14, 2018
Go back to school.
udemzy101:
Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by Yuneek(f): 9:08am On Sep 14, 2018
Go back and read the post again, if you don't see the information there, then go back to school.
bknight:
Yuneek, are you still typing? Because I am still waiting to read why they are identified by human names, especially female names.

It won’t be as informative as it should without answering the very question the thread sought to answer.
Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by mechanics(m): 9:11am On Sep 14, 2018
Aldebaran:
grin

Hurricane AMAKA grin

Hurricane BOLANLE grin

hahahaha, they are your girl friend names abi?

1 Like

Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by bknight: 9:22am On Sep 14, 2018
Yuneek:
Go back and read the post again, if you don't see the information there, then go back to school.

Chidinma, you need not be rude to me. My post was not offensive.
Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by Offpoint: 9:48am On Sep 14, 2018
Yuneek:
Go back to school.
Specify please.... SS, PS or Tertiary
Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by bknight: 9:56am On Sep 14, 2018
Since Yuneek the dumb poster considers herself too educated to enlighten others, instead of reading her post again, I decided to find out elsewhere. According to this clown's post, the reason is because using latitude/longitude designations to name hurricanes gets to confuse people. I consider this as an advantage of using human names but, not the reason for using human names. Why use human names, particularly female names?..

According to earthsky.org

"In 1953, to avoid the repetitive use of names, the system was revised so that storms would be given female names. By doing this, the National Weather Service was mimicking the habit of naval meteorologists, who named the storms after women, much as ships at sea were traditionally named for women."

I may not lay as much claim to education as Yuneek, but common sense does not lead astray neither.

1 Like

Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by Yuneek(f): 10:01am On Sep 14, 2018
And you feel less dumb for copying part of what was written in the post and posting right? Obviously, comprehension is quite difficult for people like you. Kindly pray for common sense, it will help you a whole lot. You are even too dumb to get the spelling of a name right in the first place. sorry excuses of graduates everywhere jumping around posts and embarrassing themselves. As English is too difficult for you to get right so is common sense.
bknight:
Since Yunkee the dumb poster considers herself too educated to enlighten others, instead of reading her post again, I decided to find out elsewhere. According to this clown's post, the reason is because using latitude/longitude designations to name hurricanes gets to confuse people. I consider this as an advantage of using human names as against lat/longitude designations but, not the reason.

"In 1953, to avoid the repetitive use of names, the system was revised so that storms would be given female names. By doing this, the National Weather Service was mimicking the habit of naval meteorologists, who named the storms after women, much as ships at sea were traditionally named for women."

I may not lay as much claim to education as Yunkee, but common sense does not lead astray neither.

Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by bknight: 10:10am On Sep 14, 2018
Yuneek:
By Unigwe Chidinma

You might be surprised to wake up one day and realize that your highly revered name has been given to a Hurricane.

A lot of people would have wondered or still wondering why these disasters are given not just any names but human names, particularly female names - Hurricane Florence, Hurricane Maria, Hurricane Katrina and so on.

Does it mean women spell disaster? Or is it a mere coincidence?

Well, if you are in this category of people who have been asking a thousand and one questions on why Hurricanes have names, this is the best place to be at this time.

I was that curious also and my curiosity drove me into a mini research and I will be summarizing my findings in this piece.

For the benefit of some of us who are oblivious of what a Hurricane even means, let me just offer as little explanation as I can (I didn't study Geology, I actually studied Communications), so I'm too generous to have offered to let you in on a what I found out.

Well, Hurricane is a storm which comes with a violent wind, in particular, a tropical cyclone in the Caribbean.

Hurricanes occur every year, and sometimes there could be multiple hurricanes(say two or three) happening at the same time.

So naming a hurricane would make it easier for meteorologists, researchers, emergency response workers, ship captains and citizens to communicate about specific hurricanes for a better understanding.

At least so that one wouldn't go yarning gibberish or mixing things up when discussing these disasters.

The World Meteorological Organization develops a list of names that are assigned in alphabetical order to tropical storms as they are discovered in each hurricane season.

These names are not fixed as they are subject to be repeated, hence we can have Hurricane Florence this year and then have another Hurricane Florence some other time but at an interval of six years.

However, the names of especially severe storms are permanently retired from use especially when it causes so much death and damage that reusing the name would be insensitive and more like re-opening old wounds and making them fresh all over. For instance, in 2016, Hurricane Matthew and Hurricane Otto caused significant damages and fatalities. Out of respect for the people who suffered losses, the names "Matthew" and "Otto" were retired and will not be used again for tropical storms. Similarly, "Katrina" has been retired from the name list and will not be used again.

History of Atlantic Hurricane Names

Atlantic hurricanes have been given names for a few hundred years. People living in the Caribbean Islands named storms after the saint of the day from the Roman Catholic liturgical calendar for the day on which the hurricane occurred such as "Hurricane San Felipe."

However, when two hurricanes struck on the same date in different years, the hurricanes would be referred to by names such as "Hurricane San Felipe the first" and "Hurricane San Felipe the second."

In the early days of meteorology in the United States, storms were named with a latitude/longitude designation representing the location where the storm originated.

In a bid to make it easier, military meteorologists working in the Pacific began to use women's names for storms during the Second World War.

So in 1953 it was adopted by the National Hurricane Center for use on storms originating in the Atlantic Ocean. Once this practice started, hurricane names quickly became part of common language, and public awareness of hurricanes increased dramatically.

In 1978, meteorologists watching storms in the eastern North Pacific began using men's names for half of the storms.

Meteorologists for the Atlantic Ocean began using men's names in 1979. For each year a list of 21 names, each starting with a different letter of the alphabet, was developed and arranged in alphabetical order (names beginning with the letters Q, U, X, Y and Z were not used).

The first tropical storm of the year was given the name beginning with the letter "A," the second with the letter "B" and so on through the alphabet. During even-numbered years, men's names were given to the odd-numbered storms and during odd-numbered years, women's names were given to odd-numbered storms.

Today, the World Meteorological Organization maintains the lists of Atlantic hurricane names. They have six lists which are reused every six years.
https://www.dailynaija.com/post/why-are-hurricanes-named-ever-wondered-here-is-the-answer-you-seek-read

cc:
offpoint
chidemavian
udemzy101
Ishilove
alabi484
Seenga
DCLXV1
nelronaldo
Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by bknight: 10:14am On Sep 14, 2018
Yuneek:
And you feel less dumb for copying part of what was written in the post and posting right? Obviously, comprehension is quite difficult for people like you. Kindly pray for common sense, it will help you a whole lot. You are even too dumb to get the spelling of a name right in the first place. sorry excuses of graduates everywhere jumping around posts and embarrassing themselves. As English is too difficult for you to get right so is common sense.

Not getting your name right makes me dumb, right?

I hail your gray matter undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by Yuneek(f): 10:21am On Sep 14, 2018
Apparently, you have selective understanding issues. Go and get some sense then we can talk when I realise you have acquired at least common sense. For the fact that you read the post and didn't see anything similar to what you wrote up there, your case is critical. Zero attention to details, yet you jump in to argue. At least a handful of people found the post quite informative, and that is all that matters. You see those people who understood the post? You are not any different to them but you chose to read withOUT understanding. I am particularly glad there are still people who read to understand and not your likes who read to argue and spew abuses. I'm done with you boy! Bye.
bknight:

Not getting your name right makes me dumb, right?

I hail your gray matter undecided
Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by bknight: 10:42am On Sep 14, 2018
Yuneek:
Apparently, you have selective understanding issues. Go and get some sense then we can talk when I realise you have acquired at least common sense. For the fact that you read the post and didn't see anything similar to what you wrote up there, your case is critical. Zero attention to details, yet you jump in to argue. At least a handful of people found the post quite informative, and that is all that matters. I am particularly glad there are still people who read to understand and not your likes who read to argue and spew abuses. I'm done with you boy! Bye.

Your post was indeed informative. Just that I (and a few others) thought it should have answered the question it raised: 'Why human names, particularly female names?'. Unfortunately, the post did not provide answers. That only missing part was essential to make the post complete.

Here's my first post on this thread. My comment meant no harm...
bknight:
Yuneek, are you still typing? Because I am still waiting to read why they are identified by human names, especially female names.

It won’t be as informative as it should without answering the very question the thread sought to answer.

Goodluck to you and the 'handful' that read the OP and found the answers therein undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Hurricanes Have Human Names by DanielsParker(m): 11:50am On Sep 14, 2018
KingPapaya:

Hurricane Amaka will still disappoint by not showing up
lol, omg..this got me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

You Can Travel To Switzerland From Uk If You Hold >=6 Months Valid Leave / 10 Northern Cities Every Nigerian Should Visit / The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.