Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:59 AM

Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made (49371 Views)

Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) / Meet Agnes Mba, A 9-year-old Ghanaian Girl Who Crawls To School Every Day / NUC Ranks Ahmadu Bello University No 1 In Nigeria (See Full List) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by perfectgen(m): 3:17pm On Jan 15, 2019
perfectgen:
When in early 2017, a friend brought to my notice a first of its kind online MBA program here in Nigeria, I couldn't really believe him but when he opened the appealing advert of the ABU Online MBA, I got immediately interested as I had been looking forward to obtaining a MBA.

I fully researched the program and everything looked perfect; I checked the course structure, delivery, fees and observed it was something I could do in my spare time, while still working.

In terms of structure, it was slightly self-paced but I was expected to pick up materials and prepare for exams; which I learnt were mainly computer-based tests at that time. On the issue of delivery, I learnt that there was an e-learning suite to deploy most of the course and I was going to be assigned an e-tutor for all courses I was to take; this I learnt should be about 24 in all. On fees, I learnt the current students were then paying less than 500 thousand naira overall hence reasonably affordable for me.

Fast forward to May, 2017, I encouraged three other friends and colleagues to start the program and as we were about to register, we observed a change in fee structure; instead of the normal bulk fee, we were now to pay 10 thousand naira for electives and 20 thousand naira for core courses. This naturally increased the expected fees but in my gullibility, I felt i could still manage to afford it.

To my amazement, midway into the first semester, there was a change in the delivery structure, while some courses had committed e-tutors who were available to explain whatsoever challenges we had with the courses, some e-tutors were just non-existent. Another issue is the review of the examination twice within one semester; we learnt on NUC's insistence, the course had to be 50% theoretical paper/50% Computer based tests but later changed it to 30% assignments/30% Computer based tests/40% theoretical papers.

In my typical perseverance, I adapted and continued with the program but observed midway that instead of the initial 24 courses being planned for, the courses had changed to about 30 in all.

By the next semester, all fees were changed to a flat 20 thousand naira. I was already in the middle of the river and having no choice, I continued with the program. Then came increment of offered courses to about 36 before finishing the program with all additional courses estimated at 20,000 naira per course. The painful part was that these courses were more or less repetitions; a course was sometimes divided into three parts just to ensure that instead of us paying 20,000, we get to pay 60,000.

Just after complaining of the increasing fees and reduction in the quality of the programme, slight adjustments were made; this was insufficient in my dousing my increasing regrets for starting the program. Surprisingly, the university, introduced what they termed late registration fees; this was supposed to be added fees for registering late even though you will not be allowed access to the platform nor educational materials until you make payment. We could do nothing about it as all complaints were either not attended to or brought with it, further problems.
As if that was not enough, very close to exams, I observed additional 10,000 naira on the fee retinue; this was tagged examination fees. I felt the essence of our paying the 20,000 naira was to ensure everything relating to the individual courses was captured hence why add a fee that we were not told of at the beginning of the program and just when we were preparing for exams; when it was already confirmed that we have already made payment for the semester.

I became frustrated, and felt like just dropping out; having seen three of my colleagues drop out due to increasing fees. Coping financially was becoming hard for me and continuing with the program was becoming suffocating.

I forced myself to continue the course; being someone who hardly gives up, but on entering into the fourth semester discovered that there were now new split courses which were illogical. We had courses like Seminar, Project 1, Project 2, internship etc. which were not going to be taught but we still had to pay for; we complained and expected palliative measures only to wake up and hear that the course delivery has been changed to single delivery which implies that the flexibility of the program was more or less gone and with it came the realization that the core focus of an MBA; practical orientation and fundamental understanding of key concepts was no more assured.
I computed everything I have paid for a programme that I have little or no say in and observed I am just a little bit short of 800 thousand naira yet I still have one full semester to go that I still have to pay for. I have to admit that I have been hoodwinked into thinking the ABU online MBA can give me what other international online MBAs could have given me; though the fees are fast getting similar. I seem to be in a one-chance vehicle but not knowing if its is sane for me to jump down. I woke up this morning to see that another 20,000 naira has been added to the fee retinue for transcript or something like that I can't remember applying nor planning to apply for.

I really need help before this financial pressure frustrate me into leaving this programme with the huge amount i have spent; maybe, like a colleague said, i should have used the money in buying a land in Kubwa and wait for it to appreciate because even with the MBA, there is no assurance of pay increase at work, new opportunities nor a profitable return on investment.

Please save my soul!!!

I have observed that when many of us make complaints online, we hardly come back to give feedback neither do we ascertain efforts being made to remedy the issues raised, hence I chose to come back and give a non-compulsive report on the situation of things now; I have not been contacted nor compelled to make this post but to let those who chose to be sentimental about the issue know that my complaint was borne out of a true reflection of what I felt and the wrong direction the program was heading towards - money-based rather than value-based.

I wish to first thank everybody who helped echo my concerns as the ABUMBA school management has objectively listened to the voice of reasoning.
1. On the issues of fees, they have not reduced it but there has been no additional fees since this complaint; which I learnt the ABUMBA DLC management really took seriously and addressed. I guess future students can now be informed about how much they are expected to pay before joining the programme.
2. On the issue of repetitive courses and the number of courses being too much, there has been an adjustment of the syllabus such that some of the courses have been dropped and other courses are now being reviewed for better delivery.
3. On the issue of non-competitive MBA, the single delivery program sort of allowed competent hands to handle areas they were more proficient while enabling more networking which also made the essence of the MBA more achievable.
4. On the issue of exam fees after paying for the courses, I learnt that examination fees have been dropped though yet to confirm it; the effort is however commendable.

Although the MBA program is yet to be where I wish it to be; an online MBA that can compete with the ones abroad, I will say that many commendable efforts have been made in improving the program and it is looking more promising; thanks to the effort of the Director and his team. Kudos to ABUMBA DLC. However, all the other issues still being raised need to be looked into to make the program world class.

4 Likes

Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jan 15, 2019
perfectgen:

I have observed that when many of us make complaints online, we hardly come back to give feedback neither do we ascertain efforts being made to remedy the issues raised, hence I chose to come back and give a non-compulsive report on the situation of things now; I have not been contacted nor compelled to make this post but to let those who chose to be sentimental about the issue know that my complaint was borne out of a true reflection of what I felt and the wrong direction the program was heading towards - money-based rather than value-based.

I wish to first thank everybody who helped echo my concerns as the ABUMBA school management has objectively listened to the voice of reasoning.
1. On the issues of fees, they have not reduced it but there has been no additional fees since this complaint; which I learnt the ABUMBA DLC management really took seriously and addressed. I guess future students can now be informed about how much they are expected to pay before joining the programme.
2. On the issue of repetitive courses and the number of courses being too much, there has been an adjustment of the syllabus such that some of the courses have been dropped and other courses are now being reviewed for better delivery.
3. On the issue of non-competitive MBA, the single delivery program sort of allowed competent hands to handle areas they were more proficient while enabling more networking which also made the essence of the MBA more achievable.
4. On the issue of exam fees after paying for the courses, I learnt that examination fees have been dropped though yet to confirm it; the effort is however commendable.

Although the MBA program is yet to be where I wish it to be; an online MBA that can compete with the ones abroad, I will say that many commendable efforts have been made in improving the program and it is looking more promising; thanks to the effort of the Director and his team. Kudos to ABUMBA DLC. However, all the other issues still being raised need to be looked into to make the program world class.

Did management responded to your post made here ?
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by perfectgen(m): 4:32pm On Jan 15, 2019
asuustrike1:

Did management responded to your post made here ?

I saw it online. Not on this forum, but I believe it was also posted on Nairaland. They responded to it but I didn't take it too seriously until I started seeing the positive steps being taken towards resolving the issues; that is when I finally came to drop the update of today.
Below is the link to the response on their forum.
https://abudlc.edu.ng/special-announcement-response-to-nairaland-post/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jan 15, 2019
perfectgen:

I saw it online. Not on this forum, but I believe it was also posted on Nairaland. They responded to it but I didn't take it too seriously until I started seeing the positive steps being taken towards resolving the issues; that is when I finally came to drop the update of today.
Wow. Nairaland is indeed a great forum.
cc:seun well done.
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by justdogitto: 8:12pm On Feb 25, 2019
Kindly assist with this information sir.. Thank you
MrTed:
I understand your pain Bro. If interested, I'll introduce you to a University in Europe accredited and internationally recognized that has online courses that I'm doing my MBA PRESENTLY AS I SPEAK , AND IT'S FEES IS LESS THAN 900K THAT YOU CAN COMFORTABLY PAY IN INSTALLMENTS AND AND YOU'LL GRADUATE AS AT WHEN DUE. INBOX is ME FOR DETAILS OF HOW TO GO ABOUT IT AND I'LL GUIDE YOU
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by Temmydotty(f): 6:23pm On Oct 13, 2019
MrTed:
I understand your pain Bro. If interested, I'll introduce you to a University in Europe accredited and internationally recognized that has online courses that I'm doing my MBA PRESENTLY AS I SPEAK , AND IT'S FEES IS LESS THAN 900K THAT YOU CAN COMFORTABLY PAY IN INSTALLMENTS AND AND YOU'LL GRADUATE AS AT WHEN DUE. INBOX is ME FOR DETAILS OF HOW TO GO ABOUT IT AND I'LL GUIDE YOU

Can you please, give details about this here?
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by Proffessorr: 8:33am On Nov 07, 2019
perfectgen:

I have observed that when many of us make complaints online, we hardly come back to give feedback neither do we ascertain efforts being made to remedy the issues raised, hence I chose to come back and give a non-compulsive report on the situation of things now; I have not been contacted nor compelled to make this post but to let those who chose to be sentimental about the issue know that my complaint was borne out of a true reflection of what I felt and the wrong direction the program was heading towards - money-based rather than value-based....

Thanks so much for the update.

1 Like

Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by Okoyeebo: 5:39pm On Feb 06, 2020
BIAFRONIGERIAN:
We'll employ Greek styled political warfare in wrestling power from APC
Camp in the Southeast
encircle south south and capture the key towns of PHC,Uyo,Asaba and Benin
Penetrate Southwest via Benin
Overrun Ondo, Capture Lagos,Ekiti,Ogun and Osun surrenders
Another battalion simultaneously penetrate Northwest,Kano falls,Kaduna Surrenders,Sokoto and Katsina pledges loyalty, Niger is overrun, the whole of North central is captured, Abuja puts up a resistance but a final push eventually breaks the defense, Oshiomole accepts defeat, LAI Mohammed defects, and Buhari is bundled back to Daura

Power to the people!

Can you now see that stupidity runs in your blood?
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by eolawale1: 1:22pm On Mar 09, 2020
Please is it worth it? I am about paying the same fee atm for the Foundation courses.
Vigorousguy:
LOL am just here reading comments. I just finished paying 188k for foundation courses. We were told foundation courses were 10k when I got there I was told it's now 20k. Imagine I have not started and am having double mind.
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by Vigorousguy(m): 7:13pm On Mar 17, 2020
eolawale1:
Please is it worth it? I am about paying the same fee atm for the Foundation courses.
Yes it is

1 Like

Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by PHENOMCHICKSON: 2:16pm On May 26, 2020
perfectgen:

@OP, so kind of you to give the update . May God bless you in your further endeavours in your career.
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by Tohsynetita1: 7:11pm On May 26, 2020
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by dayo20002002: 7:53pm On May 26, 2020
For your MBA Group and Individual Assignment in any course. You can contact us on 08028295941. All the previous assignment that has been done has recorded an excellent mark.

The assignment will be done before the expiration date with value for your money. We also write your MBA project work from scratch and also have different MBA projects materials.
Contact 08028295941
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by Diamond813: 6:51am On Jun 04, 2022
Thank God I didn't register when I saw the advert.
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by successfem: 9:07am On Dec 30, 2023
I am stucked right now about ABU. I already paid for application fee but the update of payment was not uploaded on my application profile
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by basting(m): 5:45pm On Apr 06
Good day everyone.

Pls I want someone who had graduated from ABUDLC to share their experience as regards ABUDLC Examination.

Firstly, I wish to know if past questions used to come out in their exams.

Secondly, as regards Project Research, what is the attitude of their project supervisor and ABUDLC management towards the students.

Some project supervisors dwell in delay student unnecessarily probably to have extra year and pay more tuition fee.

What is your experience as regards the project research?

Lastly, is there other hidden charges that is made unknown to those that are yet to become one of their students?

I am planning to study MSc. In Information Management.

Thank you.
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by basting(m): 5:48pm On Apr 06
@successfem
Pls have you started your program at ABU DLC?
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by centpado(m): 1:58pm On Apr 18
I am about applying for the ABU DLC, should I go ahead, is it worth the money !!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nnadi Nnedimkpa Susan Graduates With 4.93 CGPA From Covenant University / 15 Exam Cheats Now Born Again Return Their WAEC Certificates / How To Retrieve A Lost NECO Reg. Number

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.