Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,798 members, 7,802,554 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:14 PM

Opinion On SCAM Gospel-oyedepo's Prosperity Gospel - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Opinion On SCAM Gospel-oyedepo's Prosperity Gospel (356 Views)

Benny Hinn Repents Of The "Prosperity Gospel" - Daddy Freeze Reacts / Who Really Benefits From Nigeria's 'prosperity Gospel'? (BBC News) / Benny Hinn: I Am So Wrong About Prosperity Gospel, I Don't Fly Private Jets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion On SCAM Gospel-oyedepo's Prosperity Gospel by genkins(m): 11:43am On Sep 14, 2018
Opinion: Joys Oyedepo is my friend but her father’s prosperity doctrine isn’t for me

The Christian theology that teaches God will bless you financially if you sow a seed is quite pretentious—while financial blessings are already given to Christians, Jews, Atheists and Muslims. So why should I bother about giving money to receive material things?

The prosperity gospel was preached before I was even born with prominent televangelists in the 80’s who brought error to the Christendom.

With American preachers of the likes Kenneth Copeland, Paula White-Cain and African pastors, Bishop David Oyedepo, Matthew Ashimolowo, Funke Adejumo I began to feel disconnected due to the amount of money you are required to give to be successful in life.

You have this sense of obligation to give money otherwise things will not work out for you. I was blind enough to follow such doctrines while I knew that Jesus had warned us about the end times that prophets will rise in the name of Jesus to perform all kinds of miracles and money would be the focus of their mission.

The problem I have with the African church is not the leadership but the wrong doctrinal practises that we have seen for the past three decades. I find it hard to believe that pastors who place emphasis on money in exchange of miracles don’t know that this is a gospel of greed and opulence.

I can tell you that it is nearly impossible to attend a church service without special seeds collections. It has become the norm and many people are still afraid to speak against it because Pastors are immune to criticism apparently.

When I realised that I have wasted a lot of time in church seeking for miracles instead of getting to know God on a personal basis, I was also led to believe that seed sowing and pledges were the way to my prosperity. I then discovered that it was a fraud because when I used to give money to the church, the poorer I became. I struggled a lot and knew that this wasn’t what God intended for believers on earth.

Many people will judge me and say that I don’t have enough faith or maybe because I have failed to pay my dues to the church. But when I began to ask questions and study the lives of successful business men, I discovered that that these people are hardworking, diligent with a genius mind to solve society problems. I then reflected that I’m giving away money that I have toiled without a clear vision or plan for my life. I never knew much about how the economic world functions until I began to read financial books and I knew that I got it all wrong. What does seed sowing to God means when it comes to owning a business? As a matter of fact, pastors are the ones benefiting because they are the ones receiving every week. Is this fair? Not at all. So why keep giving away money and not get return for investment as promised?

In the current Christian community, the emphasis is on how to become rich by giving to the pastor. I also know that God doesn’t have a bank account, but we are expected to help the needy, orphans, widows and the poor among us. If we look at the largest humanitarian charities like Unicef, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Akon Lighting Africa and many more we understand that these philanthropists understood that money is not to be spent on luxury but in rendering services. Have you ever asked yourself, why should I give my salary to my pastor? This is wrong at all levels, but many people think that I’m no longer a believer but a philosopher or free thinker. I wish you could understand and one day I’m sure you will!

Do you also know that majority of Pastors have failed us, and we should not be silent about it. This is an injustice and I’m sure God knows exactly what is happening and will not allow more people to be deceived again. Now that I know the truth, nothing can change my mind about it. If you want to become rich look for innovative ideas and come up with a stunning project. As for me and my house, seed sowing, pledges and sacrificial offerings are banished, I’d rather give money to those in need not a pastor they don’t need my money.

My friend Joys Oyedepo, if you manage to read this, I love you sis but couldn’t stand your father’s doctrine on prosperity anymore. I really wish you could read this and tell me if what I said was offensive or the truth.

by Benita Owobi, Media Personality, TV, Radio,
Re: Opinion On SCAM Gospel-oyedepo's Prosperity Gospel by OkaiCorne(m): 11:49am On Sep 14, 2018
Waiting for the monetary tithe loving, seed sowing bounty hunters to counter this with the scriptures...
Re: Opinion On SCAM Gospel-oyedepo's Prosperity Gospel by paxonel(m): 3:35pm On Sep 14, 2018
Forget it. They don't have any scripture
Re: Opinion On SCAM Gospel-oyedepo's Prosperity Gospel by bodee(m): 5:02pm On Sep 14, 2018
the obvious is obvious. my own take is we should think!

(1) (Reply)

Using Of The Left Hand / HOMOSEXUALITY! Contracting & Spread Of Homosexuality / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 2/11/18

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.