Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,882 members, 7,802,850 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:14 PM

Experienced Dog Owners Only - Pets (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Experienced Dog Owners Only (1682 Views)

Dog Owners Help!!! / Whatsapp Group For ABUJA DOG OWNERS / Whatsapp Group For Best Stud Owners Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Experienced Dog Owners Only by johnnyn1(m): 10:47pm On Sep 15, 2018
Othello92:
read the post I mentioned that they Are in cage all day and locked.
Oops.

1 Like

Re: Experienced Dog Owners Only by Nobody: 3:15am On Sep 16, 2018
Othello92:
I am considering giving them dry gin to get them high before most a times.
That's not gonna work, I tried it a few years ago, I gave the dog whiskey but nothing happened.
Re: Experienced Dog Owners Only by voiceofthetruth: 8:18am On Sep 16, 2018
mhd5757:

I had this same problem too some years back.
The problem is that friendliness and playfulness is actually a natural built in character of some dogs and in most cases there is really nothing one can do to make them aggressive and territorial.
I would advise you to give these dogs back and get back your money and if that is not possible then you should sell them and get Rottweilers instead because most of them have this natural instinct to be territorial and protective they are also naturally vicious.

Op don't take this advice o. So many rottweilers I've come across are as useless as your dog. Gsds are even better when it comes to aggressiveness.. Caucasians are the best., while Neapolitan mastiff are the worst.( I call them big for nothing)... This is my opinion from experience with different dogs and owners.

1 Like

Re: Experienced Dog Owners Only by Nobody: 3:07pm On Sep 16, 2018
voiceofthetruth:

Op don't take this advice o. So many rottweilers I've come across are as useless as your dog. Gsds are even better when it comes to aggressiveness.. Caucasians are the best., while Neapolitan mastiff are the worst.( I call them big for nothing)... This is my opinion from experience with different dogs and owners.
Seriously? Rotweiler? I find that hard to believe, maybe the Rottweiler that you came across was oversocialized that's what these white Americans do, they will take a dog that is supposed to be vicious and turn it in to a teddy bear, so annoying.
Re: Experienced Dog Owners Only by vincentjk(m): 2:38pm On Sep 17, 2018
Giving a dog that has no guard instinct in it dry gin or hot drinks will neither make them guard your homestead nor bark at strangers, these instincts are all in the blood but sometimes training and older age helps.
My Gustaf is 1yr+ now, I'd expected to get a gsd with good guard instinct but Gustaf is yet to show me these things, he barks when someone knocks at the gate and also barks at night too but that's not just what i want, I need a temperamental gsd that would bark and ready to attack any stranger anytime of the day. My other dog (boerboel) wouldn't bark until last Xmas when he clocked 2yrs old, everything changed. So maybe we should exercise more patience before drawing with our conclusions.

1 Like

Re: Experienced Dog Owners Only by Nobody: 2:55pm On Sep 17, 2018
vincentjk:
Giving a dog that has no guard instinct in it dry gin or hot drinks will neither make them guard your homestead nor bark at strangers, these instincts are all in the blood but sometimes training and older age helps.
My Gustaf is 1yr+ now, I'd expected to get a gsd with good guard instinct but Gustaf is yet to show me these things, he barks when someone knocks at the gate and also barks at night too but that's not just what i want, I need a temperamental gsd that would bark and ready to attack any stranger anytime of the day. My other dog (boerboel) wouldn't bark until last Xmas when he clocked 2yrs old, everything changed. So maybe we should exercise more patience before drawing with our conclusions.

Yeah... Good point... And funny enough we are always too in an hurry to see this qualities.
Re: Experienced Dog Owners Only by Nobody: 3:21pm On Sep 17, 2018
I'm also finding it odd seeing folks bastardising rottweiler.... Pls note, it's more easier giving a Rott, malinois , DDR and a Pitt bull attack training than any other dogs. GSD barks and stay. Rott barks and ascend. So if I'm to train a GSD, my focus will be to bark and ascend. And if I'm to train a Rott the focus is to understand when to stop after ascending.
Seeing a Rott that's playful is the owners preference. Don't expect a dog to be aggressive when every stranger are given the permission to pat your dog.
Also have seen folks that discourage their dog from barking or attacking. This will further lead to a sit at home pet.
Always encourage your dogs for making effort to be security conscious if you desire a security dog.

Remember a dog is what you make it to be. Don't buy a dog and expect a beast. Someone said he believes local dogs show more qualities. Do u know why.? Local dogs are taught by parents and other dogs in the streets but foreign breeds are removed at 5-8weeks from parents.Thats y it's our responsibility to administer necessary training we desire to see from the dog or better still keep with dogs that have passed that phase of training. It makes it much easier.

2 Likes

Re: Experienced Dog Owners Only by McMayor(m): 3:25pm On Sep 17, 2018
How do you encourage a dog to bark?

PawsEmpire:
I'm also finding it odd seeing folks bastardising rottweiler.... Pls note, it's more easier giving a Rott, malinois , DDR and a Pitt bull attack training than any other dogs. GSD barks and stay. Rott barks and ascend. So if I'm to train a GSD, my focus will be to bark and ascend. And if I'm to train a Rott the focus is to understand when to stop after ascending.
Seeing a Rott that's playful is the owners preference. Don't expect a dog to be aggressive when every stranger are given the permission to pat your dog.
Also have seen folks that discourage their dog from barking or attacking. This will further lead to a sit at home pet.
Always encourage your dogs for making effort to be security conscious if you desire a security dog.

Remember a dog is what you make it to be. Don't buy a dog and expect a beast. Someone said he believes local dogs show more qualities. Do u know why.? Local dogs are taught by parents and other dogs in the streets but foreign breeds are removed at 5-8weeks from parents.Thats y it's our responsibility to administer necessary training we desire to see from the dog or better still keep with dogs that have passed that phase of training. It makes it much easier.
Re: Experienced Dog Owners Only by Nobody: 4:48pm On Sep 17, 2018
McMayor:
How do you encourage a dog to bark?

For me, I employ the most common method which is positive reinforcement training. Positive reinforcement training uses praise and/or treats to reward your dog for doing something you want him to do.

Whenever I see my dog barking to attack or just barking, I encourage by saying "good girl or good boy". If I'm having a treat with me I give him immediately.

Never tell your dog keep quiet when his barking at strangers. Let him have the floor. Come out to check when his barking so that he doesn't feel worthless.

Sometimes when his barking without any noticeable happenning I release him and move along with him.

All these boosts the morale of a dog to do more.

2 Likes

Re: Experienced Dog Owners Only by johnnyn1(m): 4:55pm On Sep 17, 2018
vincentjk:
Yes bro.
Exercise Patience and love your Dog.

1 Like

Re: Experienced Dog Owners Only by johnnyn1(m): 4:57pm On Sep 17, 2018
PawsEmpire:

For me, I employ the most common method which is positive reinforcement training. Positive reinforcement training uses praise and/or treats to reward your dog for doing something you want him to do.

Whenever I see my dog barking to attack or just barking, I encourage by saying "good girl or good boy". If I'm having a treat with me I give him immediately.

Never tell your dog keep quiet when his barking at strangers. Let him have the floor. Come out to check when his barking so that he doesn't feel worthless.

Sometimes when his barking without any noticeable happenning I release him and move along with him.

All these boosts the morale of a dog to do more.
You are so on Point

1 Like

Re: Experienced Dog Owners Only by Nobody: 5:35pm On Sep 17, 2018
PawsEmpire:

That is why me I don't like buying puppies, I prefer adult dogs and even before I buy it I usually study how it behaves in its territory, if its viciously protective I take it if not I leave it, that's how I picked out my dogs and I'm still proud of them.

1 Like

Re: Experienced Dog Owners Only by Othello92(m): 1:17pm On Sep 18, 2018
I have really learnt a lot from these comments.

I think I would stop taking them for walks, so it can aggrivate their anger.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Male American Eskimo Puppy / Beautiful Local Dog Puppies For Sale / ALERT!!! 4 Months Old Male German Shepherd For Sale. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.