Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,551 members, 7,809,017 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:08 PM

Who Is To Blame For Moral Decadence Among Our Youths: Parents Or Teachers? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Is To Blame For Moral Decadence Among Our Youths: Parents Or Teachers? (23308 Views)

Who Is To Blame For Moral Decadence Among Our Youths: Parents Or Teachers? / Men Are The Cause Of Moral Decadence & Indecency In Our Girls Today / Is My Mom To Blame For The Irresponsibility Of A 26 Year Old lady? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is To Blame For Moral Decadence Among Our Youths: Parents Or Teachers? by vicmoore131: 9:53am On Sep 16, 2018
The issue of who is responsible for the moral decadence in the society today, especially among youths, is indeed difficult to say. A lot of people believe parents are to blame, while others have apportioned blame to teachers. I however wish to say that from the way I look at it, I have every reason to believe that moral decadence among our children, has its roots in parents. In the first place, parents have failed in their duty to bring up the child the way he should, in utter disregard of the Biblical injunction that they should train a child the way he should, so that when he is old, he won’t depart from it. Parents are the child’s first teachers. They, therefore, have a lot to do in training the child before he joins the formal school. But the economic situation in the country today, has made most parents abandon their duty in pursuit of material wealth.

Besides, house helps and maids have now assumed the role of parents. Very early in the morning, both parents leave for work, leaving the child to the care of the house helps. By the time they return in the night, the child has already gone to bed. The child will still be asleep by the time his parents will go out in the morning. When then do parents stay with the child to train him and correct him? Some parents are known to support the child when he goes wrong. Some parents go to the extent of harassing teachers for flogging the child at school. This encourages the child to do even worse things. At home, the child does bad things and the parents support him, so that he will not take offence. Some do not care to flog the child who has done something wrong, so that he won’t die, thereby sparing the rod and spoiling the child. This is as it should be.

Some parents are known to have perpetrated so many immoral things to the glare of the child, forgetting that the child sees his parents as a mirror and copies virtually all they do. When such immoral things as stealing, insult, fornication, bribery and others are done in the present of the child, how then can anyone, especially, the parents turn round to punish him, when he copies these? Though teachers cannot be totally absolved from the blame of youth immorality, parents should not forget that the child only spends about six hours at school. The rest of the time is spent at home. Sometimes, teachers fear to punish the child when they remember that his parents may organize an offensive against them. These days, teachers do their best to train the child but they fail because the child has already imbibed so much immorality from home, that the teacher can’t change him.

Parents encourage immorality among their wards by not querying them when they return late in the night or when they bring home expensive materials as gifts. This is common among girls, who sometimes, bring home boyfriends whom the parents receive warmly. Most mothers even make use of those gifts with their daughters. The boys also do this. Some parents fail to look into the company the children keep. All these are roads leading to immorality.
I am convinced beyond doubts that parents are to blame for moral decadence among youths, not teachers because, as earlier mentioned, parents fail in their duty of building the child and charting a good moral path for him in these early ages. At these pre-school ages, his mind is blank and if the mind is filled with immorality, the child grows with it and it will be very difficult to correct him afterwards.

Written by Victor Okoro
Editor-In-Chief
http://isopreneur.com
Re: Who Is To Blame For Moral Decadence Among Our Youths: Parents Or Teachers? by OneStep3: 9:59am On Sep 16, 2018
grin
Re: Who Is To Blame For Moral Decadence Among Our Youths: Parents Or Teachers? by eph12(m): 10:02am On Sep 16, 2018
It's not same reason for every case of a wayward child. It could be parents, teachers, environment, social media, TV. I have seen parents that brought up their kids with daily devotion every morning and night but the kids still go astray. There's only so much the parents can do in this present time.
Re: Who Is To Blame For Moral Decadence Among Our Youths: Parents Or Teachers? by dankol: 11:03am On Sep 16, 2018
I have thought over it several times myself. For me its complicated. But I blame the society at large especially the rigidity in the way we hold on to certain irrelevant values.

1 Like

Re: Who Is To Blame For Moral Decadence Among Our Youths: Parents Or Teachers? by vicmoore131: 6:43pm On Sep 16, 2018
eph12:
It's not same reason for every case of a wayward child. It could be parents, teachers, environment, social media, TV. I have seen parents that brought up their kids with daily devotion every morning and night but the kids still go astray. There's only so much the parents can do in this present time.

Whoever wants to be bad will be bad irrespective of what both the parents and teachers do.
Re: Who Is To Blame For Moral Decadence Among Our Youths: Parents Or Teachers? by vicmoore131: 6:45pm On Sep 16, 2018
dankol:
I have thought over it several times myself. For me its complicated. But I blame the society at large especially the rigidity in the way we hold on to certain irrelevant values.

Really, I may be forced to concur with you.
Re: Who Is To Blame For Moral Decadence Among Our Youths: Parents Or Teachers? by Katier00(f): 7:17pm On Sep 16, 2018
I had a very busy parents but I didn't turn up bad. I think environment and exposure contribute too
Re: Who Is To Blame For Moral Decadence Among Our Youths: Parents Or Teachers? by babyfaceafrica: 7:30pm On Sep 16, 2018
vicmoore131:

Whoever wants to be bad will be bad irrespective of what both the parents and teachers do.
I totally agree...a bad child will turn out bad and a good child will turn out good....
Re: Who Is To Blame For Moral Decadence Among Our Youths: Parents Or Teachers? by ThatKING(m): 3:11pm On May 12, 2020
babyfaceafrica:
I totally agree...a bad child will turn out bad and a good child will turn out good....
children inherit the parents trait and make their habits more pronounced.

I think the topic is like, "which came first, the egg or the chicken"?
Re: Who Is To Blame For Moral Decadence Among Our Youths: Parents Or Teachers? by Kaamisha: 3:23pm On May 12, 2020
Why do all these write ups sound exactly the same? Are people actually using their brains to have some thoughts of their own? What moral decadence? As if past generations were any better. Look what a country they have built. grin

1 Like

Re: Who Is To Blame For Moral Decadence Among Our Youths: Parents Or Teachers? by KanwuliaExtra: 4:11pm On May 12, 2020
I blame the children.
The have choices and understand consequences more than we give them credit for.

They choose to be on social media, sneak around their parents and people of authority. You lay down rules to guide them, they refuse to abide by them. They get into trouble, you assist them.

Who is to blame? THE CHILDREN! They make the choices and must live or die with the consequences. kiss
Re: Who Is To Blame For Moral Decadence Among Our Youths: Parents Or Teachers? by frozen70(f): 4:15pm On May 12, 2020
vicmoore131:
The issue of who is responsible for the moral decadence in the society today, especially among youths, is indeed difficult to say. A lot of people believe parents are to blame, while others have apportioned blame to teachers. I however wish to say that from the way I look at it, I have every reason to believe that moral decadence among our children, has its roots in parents. In the first place, parents have failed in their duty to bring up the child the way he should, in utter disregard of the Biblical injunction that they should train a child the way he should, so that when he is old, he won’t depart from it. Parents are the child’s first teachers. They, therefore, have a lot to do in training the child before he joins the formal school. But the economic situation in the country today, has made most parents abandon their duty in pursuit of material wealth.

Besides, house helps and maids have now assumed the role of parents. Very early in the morning, both parents leave for work, leaving the child to the care of the house helps. By the time they return in the night, the child has already gone to bed. The child will still be asleep by the time his parents will go out in the morning. When then do parents stay with the child to train him and correct him? Some parents are known to support the child when he goes wrong. Some parents go to the extent of harassing teachers for flogging the child at school. This encourages the child to do even worse things. At home, the child does bad things and the parents support him, so that he will not take offence. Some do not care to flog the child who has done something wrong, so that he won’t die, thereby sparing the rod and spoiling the child. This is as it should be.

Some parents are known to have perpetrated so many immoral things to the glare of the child, forgetting that the child sees his parents as a mirror and copies virtually all they do. When such immoral things as stealing, insult, fornication, bribery and others are done in the present of the child, how then can anyone, especially, the parents turn round to punish him, when he copies these? Though teachers cannot be totally absolved from the blame of youth immorality, parents should not forget that the child only spends about six hours at school. The rest of the time is spent at home. Sometimes, teachers fear to punish the child when they remember that his parents may organize an offensive against them. These days, teachers do their best to train the child but they fail because the child has already imbibed so much immorality from home, that the teacher can’t change him.

Parents encourage immorality among their wards by not querying them when they return late in the night or when they bring home expensive materials as gifts. This is common among girls, who sometimes, bring home boyfriends whom the parents receive warmly. Most mothers even make use of those gifts with their daughters. The boys also do this. Some parents fail to look into the company the children keep. All these are roads leading to immorality.
I am convinced beyond doubts that parents are to blame for moral decadence among youths, not teachers because, as earlier mentioned, parents fail in their duty of building the child and charting a good moral path for him in these early ages. At these pre-school ages, his mind is blank and if the mind is filled with immorality, the child grows with it and it will be very difficult to correct him afterwards.

Written by Victor Okoro
Editor-In-Chief
http://isopreneur.com

What concerns teachers ❓

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Man's 7 Children Die In Katsina Grenade Explosion / Man Narrates How He Found Out Daughter Was Not His / Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.