Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,837 members, 7,802,680 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:42 PM

Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 (5760 Views)

Photo: Fayose Takes Full Page Advert To Slam Buhari’s 6-month Rule / Buhari, Fashola, Amaechi & Ambode At Organised Private Sector Meeting In Lagos / Private Sector Takes Over Power Sector, As PHCN Ceases To Exist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by paddylo1(m): 5:07am On Jul 05, 2010
[size=14pt]Private sector takes full control of electricity June 2011[/size]
MONDAY, 05 JULY 2010 01:24 PHILLIP ISAKPA   

•11 distribution companies, 7 others to be sold • FG to provide N200 billion for labour related liabilities

In what will be seen by local and international investors as a radical shake up of its energy policy, Nigeria is now working at delivering a full-fledged private sector led power industry by June 2011, BusinessDay has authoritatively learnt.

The policy shift appears to be a key deliverable that the present administration in Abuja, which has barely a year to run, would want to hand over to Nigerians before it comes to an end after elections scheduled for between later this year and early next year.

[size=13pt]"Expect the full privatisation of the 11 distribution companies, one transmission company and the six generation companies. In other words, by June next year, we expect to be handing over these companies and consequently the power sector to private investors," said one senior government source close to the engine room of the policy formulation now taking place.[/size]

A draft work plan is said to have been prepared with June, next year, as its destination. A public unfolding of the plan is not likely to happen, as serious work is being done internally to perfect all areas so as to avoid loopholes, BusinessDay also learnt.

Involved in working out a comprehensive framework that will free the sector from decades of government stranglehold and deterioration, are the powerful power task force set up by President Goodluck Jonathan, led by Massachusetts Institute of Science and Technology robotics professor, Barth Nnaji, and the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE).

The Barth Nnaji-led Power Task Force, only a few weeks old, is working on the technical details to ensure the tidying up of the intricacies that have helped keep Africa's second biggest economy in darkness, and unable to supply 40 watts of electricity for a full day to its citizens for decades.

[size=13pt]BPE, which has been involved for years in selling state-owned, non performing companies, will have the responsibility to pass control of the power industry from the Federal Government by selling off all the viable assets to private investors across the world.

BusinessDay can also reveal that the plan to make the industry attractive to investors involves ensuring that only assets, not liabilities, in the power industry are put up for sale. Sources at the Presidency and the BPE told BusinessDay that the Nigerian Electricity Liability Management Company (NELMCO) will take up all the liabilities of the existing power companies functioning in the mode of the Asset Management Company of Nigeria (AMCON) set up by the Central Bank of Nigeria to address toxic assets and other challenges in the banking sector.
[/size]

The liabilities to be taken over by NELMCO include stranded debts (unfunded debts) that are made up of bank loans, taxes, debt to contractors, power purchase agreements with AES, Shell (for Afam VI), and Agip (for Okpai). But it will also handle other legacy issues, thus freeing up the sector for the emergence of a private sector controlled power industry.

"An order will first be made by Vice President Namadi Sambo, for the transfer of all the liabilities to NELMCO, and then this process will commence. This has not happened yet," said a high ranking BPE official.

[size=13pt]But the Jonathan administration is underscoring its commitment to the process by removing all labour related liabilities from the balance sheet of the companies, to make them even more attractive to investors. Indeed, BusinessDay learnt that the Federal Government has already set aside N200 billion to tackle all issues concerning labour, and that negotiations with organised labour will be held to pave the way for smooth privatisation.[/size]

[size=13pt]The full privatisation of the sector will also be based on working out a new Multi Year Tariff Order (MYTO), said the Presidency source, suggesting that the current MYTO would be reviewed. "The current MYTO is not reflective of cost of production. The new MYTO will reflect this to attract investors,"[/size] he said. Before the new one comes into force, however, government plans to have a stakeholder review to carry along everybody in the process.

In London on Monday, Barth Nnaji spoke of the hard work being done, promising better regulation for power investors and faster reforms to encourage new investments.

[url]http://www.businessdayonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12395:private-sector-takes-full-control-of-electricity-june-2011-&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18
[/url]
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by paddylo1(m): 5:09am On Jul 05, 2010
Goodluck Ebele Jonathan. . . This man will change Nigeria. . just watch. . .This is awesome. . . cool
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Nobody: 5:25am On Jul 05, 2010
Right. . . . same crap each election year.

Dont be so gullible.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by sulad82i(m): 6:15am On Jul 05, 2010
I hope this will be for good, not that the president is about to use that money for his own campaign undecided
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by rethink: 11:00am On Jul 05, 2010
This should have happened 200 million years ago. The big question is PAYMENT OF THE LIGHT BILLS. WHAT FUNDS THE DEVELOPMENT EXPANSION and MAINTENANCE OF ALL POWER APPARATUS.

THE CHARGE PER UNIT OF ELECTRICITY IS THE CORE OF THE MATTER AS OBJ HAS INVESTED MASSIVELY NOW REMAINS FOR THE CITIZENS TO INVEST THERE MONEY.

HOW MUCH WILL BE CHARGED.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Beaf: 11:26am On Jul 05, 2010
This is the answer to all our electricity problems! Further to the privatisation, insentives should be given to enable smaller companies innovate in alternative energy provision. If we pushed even further and completly decentralised the system, the smaller stakeholder would benefit even more, because it would mean that anybody would be able to generate electricity commercially. If the ordinary Nigerian is empowered in this way, we will see an explosion of technologies; some weird, some wacky, others simply wonderful! grin

Nigeria has some of the richest ocean energy resources in the World and ways should be looked at by the bigger companies to harness them; indeed, we could easily save bar beach by switching its energy from land encroachment to power generation.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by SkyBlue1: 11:40am On Jul 05, 2010
Well. . . . .I will save any celebrations or optimism till June 2011 or till this move is at least backed by some law passed through the legislature. Forgive me if I don't join the celebration just yet but privatisation of the power sector is not a new issue, neither have attempt to privatise been, so I don't get the apparent novelty some seem to attach to this move. I find it amusing the way people have started pontificating over an issue that has been so overflogged to the point that the carcass has since become rotten. Removing the current obligations by states to pump whatever power they generate into the grid would have produced results almost immediately. Rivers State for example, has invested so much in power generation and I believe have a few plants that have not come online because of the current set up. Starting from there would have been a good precursor to this other move as it would have meant some places could have started enjoying 24 hours power and not having to wait so long, there is no need to hold anyone who wants to develop back. Well, if this is a serious move then it is a start, however, I will wait with cautious optimism.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by netotse(m): 12:36pm On Jul 05, 2010
few people notice the caveat at the end. . .

the article says and i quote

The full privatisation of the sector will also be based on working out a new Multi Year Tariff Order (MYTO), said the Presidency source, suggesting that the current MYTO would be reviewed. "The current MYTO is not reflective of cost of production. The new MYTO will reflect this to attract investors"

this suggests they are planning to increase prices higher than the current MYTO plans to. . .

it's likely the transmission company will not be privatized along with the others.

that said, i'm not against it, if it happens it's people like me that'll become the new biggs boys. . .lol
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by kehneah: 12:42pm On Jul 05, 2010
high time
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Tmoni(m): 1:43pm On Jul 05, 2010
I totally support this move if I have to pay more money or even the same amount for running a generator to get 24/7 electricity then so be it

@ least, the fuel and diesel will be enough for cars and people do not have to risk storing highly flammable liquids at home

If this process is executed properly, it will be the best thing Democracy has done to the nation, by far outweighing GSM

Then hopefully, people now have the chance to switch suppliers i.e if i do no like the customer service of Zenon (I presume he will buy), I can easily sign up with Oando (will expect them there)

Theres job opportunities and loads of genuine wealth creation for all of us

Heck, they can even build the nuclear power plant I was talking about earlier,
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by netotse(m): 1:57pm On Jul 05, 2010
Tmoni:

I totally support this move if I have to pay more money or even the same amount for running a generator to get 24/7 electricity then so be it

@ least, the fuel and diesel will be enough for cars and people do not have to risk storing highly flammable liquids at home

If this process is executed properly, it will be the best thing Democracy has done to the nation, by far outweighing GSM

Then hopefully, people now have the chance to switch suppliers i.e if i do no like the customer service of Zenon (I presume he will buy), I can easily sign up with Oando (will expect them there)

Theres job opportunities and loads of genuine wealth creation for all of us

Heck, they can even build the nuclear power plant I was talking about earlier,

that wont be possible in nigeria, dont know if it's possible outside nigeria sef, it'll require running seperate distribution networks. . .financially that doesn't make sense!
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Beaf: 2:02pm On Jul 05, 2010
netotse:

that wont be possible in nigeria, dont know if it's possible outside nigeria sef, it'll require running seperate distribution networks. . .financially that doesn't make sense!

It happens the World over and it surely doesn't need separate distribution networks. All power suppliers will rent the alluminum and copper lines that bring power to the home, all they have to do for customers is supply power.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Kobojunkie: 2:05pm On Jul 05, 2010
June 2011? After the elections? great! undecided

I still hope much of the transfer happens BEFORE the election so I can still vote who I want without feeling I need to vote the current government in for this to become a reality.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by blacksta(m): 2:07pm On Jul 05, 2010
I will save my celebration till next year - 2011 that is if Jonathan makes it  - Remember Nigeria  - new corrupt leader new direction probably spend half of the first term reversing everything the former president did.  People learn to manage your expectations  - dont give yourself heart attack.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Tmoni(m): 2:07pm On Jul 05, 2010
@ netose, during the initial stages that might not be possible but going on long term it should be possible

i recently switched from EDF to npower and it all still runs on the same network, infact the only difference is the Letter Head on the bill and the price

We will expect each region to be awarded at least 2 companies for competition, better customer service and to stiffle monopoly

having just one Distribution company will not be the best but its a start, Government should only regulate the industry and stay the hell outta it

i wiil try and investigate how this is viable (switching suppliers) and report back
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by netotse(m): 2:15pm On Jul 05, 2010
Beaf:

It happens the World over and it surely doesn't need separate distribution networks. All power suppliers will rent the alluminum and copper lines that bring power to the home, all they have to do for customers is supply power.
that's an idea, i'mma think on it and do some research. . .thanks

Tmoni:

@ netose, during the initial stages that might not be possible but going on long term it should be possible

i recently switched from EDF to npower and it all still runs on the same network, infact the only difference is the Letter Head on the bill and the price

We will expect each region to be awarded at least 2 companies for competition, better customer service and to stiffle monopoly

having just one Distribution company will not be the best but its a start, Government should only regulate the industry and stay the hell outta it

i wiil try and investigate how this is viable (switching suppliers) and report back
thanks. . .
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by presido1: 8:13pm On Jul 05, 2010
2011 campaign, it seems you all forget easily, what happend to "power for all by the year 2000" mantra by OBJ. It turns out to be darkness for you all by the 2010 and beyond.

As par switching its possible in the west but you have to be up to date on your bill before you switch.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Kobojunkie: 10:55pm On Jul 05, 2010
ROFLMAO!!! 7-point Agenda . . . lol
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by paddylo1(m): 10:57pm On Jul 05, 2010
2011 campaign, it seems you all forget easily, what happend to "power for all by the year 2000" mantra by OBJ

This issue is not a campaign issue. .  .Jonathan is not promising u light next yr

What he is doing is putting in place the necessary conditions that must be met so that privatization can go ahead smoothly

A lot of u here expect that our economy should be growing Faster than it is now(10%,instead of 6%)

Well u also have to realize that once that starts to happen the demand for electricity will begin to shoot up
and GOVT cannot satisfy that demand as the cost will be just too much

So we need Private sector participation. . .They will invest in power plant,which will lead to faster growth and demand for more energy
and in turn lead to more investments in the power sector.  .It will be a vicious Positive cycle

But again for this to happen,all the vested interests have to be taken care off
Thats why the plan to sell just the Assets of PHCN is laudable

The GOVT will probably raise funds from the DMO to pay off the PHCN workers and they can go in peace
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Kobojunkie: 11:01pm On Jul 05, 2010
presido1:

2011 campaign, it seems you all forget easily, what happend to "power for all by the year 2000" mantra by OBJ. It turns out to be darkness for you all by the 2010 and beyond.

This is Nigeria where the "Amnesia" drug is a pill voluntarilly taken by the masses . . .
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Nobody: 11:23pm On Jul 05, 2010
will bookmark this thread. . .

i remember a certain 7 point agenda and a state of emergency in the power sector . . .

considering johnny's dismal out with fifa, lets see if he has the backbone to see this through - if t is anything beyond the usual politicians rhetoric

remember 600mw by december 2009? i think johnny made more than a little noise there as well. . .
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Kobojunkie: 11:27pm On Jul 05, 2010
It was 6000MW by December 2009, and our dear Johnny released about 1000MW that resulted from that sometime after becoming Acting President. I do hope he remembered to mention that it was team Yar adua/Jonathan that made that possible .  grin
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Nobody: 11:31pm On Jul 05, 2010
considering the disastrous sale of nitel, the on off  and eventually canceled sale of ph refinery. . .investors will be very very cautious

the power industry is VERY capital intensive, with ROI spanning 20 or more years.

more to the point most of phcn's infrastructure in my own experience is 20 years out of date, meaning that any investor is going to have to start from scratch, very big investment

anyway, lets see, if my memory serves me right, phcn was unbundled some to years ago, or something to that effect. . .

in nigeria, where you can only guarantee ROI within an administration. . .
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by naijaking1: 11:55pm On Jul 05, 2010
oyb:

considering the disastrous sale of nitel, the on off and eventually canceled sale of ph refinery. . .investors will be very very cautious

the power industry is VERY capital intensive, with ROI spanning 20 or more years.

more to the point most of phcn's infrastructure in my own experience is 20 years out of date, meaning that any investor is going to have to start from scratch, very big investment

anyway, lets see, if my memory serves me right, phcn was unbundled some to years ago, or something to that effect. . .

in nigeria, where you can only guarantee ROI within an administration. . .

Despite some obvious problems with sale of NITEL, the fact that we have open market in the telephone industry today remains one of OBJs legacies. There's no way to kill, skin, and share a cow without making some kind of mess. We should always focus on the bigger picture.
I have always said that we'll never have steady power supply until we privatize the industry. We have to creat an incentive for business to want to supply power for 24 hours rather than 12 hours. It's neither going to be cheaper, nor easier, but at the end we should have reason power supply.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by SkyBlue1: 12:10am On Jul 06, 2010
naijaking1:

Despite some obvious problems with sale of NITEL, the fact that we have open market in the telephone industry today remains one of OBJs legacies. There's no way to kill, skin, and share a cow without making some kind of mess. We should always focus on the bigger picture.
I have always said that we'll never have steady power supply until we privatize the industry. We have to creat an incentive for business to want to supply power for 24 hours rather than 12 hours. It's neither going to be cheaper, nor easier, but at the end we should have reason power supply.

No need for the lecture, I don't think anyone was saying we shouldn't "privastise" power, that is very far from the issue. The real issue is, will it be done and properly? How many times have we heard this chant? NEPA to PHCN (what was the difference?). Heck I would pray for its success if only to avoid hearing anymore campaign speeches including the phrases "I will give you power", one more recital of those cheap words could force an unstable man to end it all.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by naijaking1: 12:18am On Jul 06, 2010
^^^^
Nobody is lecturing anybody. There's no way to break-up an old and gigantic utility like PHCN without making some mistakes, errors, etc, and even have somepeople crying foul, but we should stick to the big picture. 'The need to do it right' has been one of the arguments people advance as a reason to stick with the old system
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by SkyBlue1: 12:39am On Jul 06, 2010
naijaking1:

^^^^
Nobody is lecturing anybody. There's no way to break-up an old and gigantic utility like PHCN without making some mistakes, errors, etc, and even have somepeople crying foul, but we should stick to the big picture. 'The need to do it right' has been one of the arguments people advance as a reason to stick with the old system

Was not justifying anything with regards to delaying this further. The issue is whether this is simply another promise to add to the list of unfulfilled ones made by past administrations, hence why I am more interested in getting it backed by law otherwise there is nothing to celebrate yet unless people are prepared yet again to 'wait and see'. Now is that so unreasonable a position?
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by naijaking1: 1:01am On Jul 06, 2010
^^^
I agree with you now.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by xterra2(m): 2:59pm On Jul 06, 2010
paddy_lo:

Goodluck Ebele Jonathan. . . This man will change Nigeria. . just watch. . .This is awesome. . . cool
Just Watched well we have Watched and still Watching He isnt going to change nigeria
Bu June 2011 he will be back in his Peaceful Bayelsa thanks to Mr Amnesty son of yaradua
Im not saying he will not help nigeria but he can change it
Well changing nigeria starts MAINLY with corruption and right beside him is patience who stole $104million that as first lady of bayelsa when clearly she doesnt have powers to take a single kobo under our constittution and he cant send hi wife to Jail so obvioulsy he cant tackle corruption only selective as ibori
He is a product of the old political machinery and a pdp memeber who cant help but destroy us
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by paddylo1(m): 3:34pm On Jul 06, 2010
[b]@xterra2

There is corruption in every country of the world. .
Have u actually looked at the so-called opposition politicians and states they run and how much worse they are compared to PDP?

The way to change Nigeria is to remove such corrupt things as power,NNPC and so on from GOVT control

Have u bothered to ask yourself why this has not been done for 50yrs?

Its because those ministries are so-called powerful ministries. . what does that actually mean?
It means every yr billions of Naira are budgeted in those ministries
but they can dissappear,because there is no incentive to make power plants or refineries work. . .

When last did u see any huge amount of money allocated to ministry of information and communication?
well that is because the private telecomms companies have made it redundant to do so. . .

Have u forgotten MKO and the military in ITT(International thief thief)
well thank God those things are past us now. . .

That is why anyone that willingly gives up such patronage is to be commended
It reduces corruption and inefficiency and basically lifts another critical sector of the Nigerian economy from underneath the Suffocating weight of GOVT

PS u should want Goodluck Jonathan to win the election next yr. . because there is nothing worse for a developing/emerging economy
than a stop-start application of critical reforms
New GOVTS take time to settle down. . .thats why even in countries like brazil,Japan,Russia,Indonesia.India and so on there is always angst during elections
and markets normally rally if the incumbent reformer is re-elected[/b]
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jul 06, 2010
Such brilliant minds in NL.

Its time government officials start taking serious look on Nairaland and contributions from its members i believe they will gain a lot of insight and solutions to many problems facing Nigeria as a nation.

Keep it up Nairalanders.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by AjanleKoko: 4:46pm On Jul 06, 2010
This is good news indeed.
Time to strategically take position, for the discerning.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigeria PDP David Mark And Chime Sulivan-Are worthy leaders for the future(2015) / FG Approves Dredging Of Calabar Port!!! / Alaigbo: Development Fantasy, Case Studies & Comparisons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.