Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,657 members, 7,801,910 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:17 AM

My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. - Autos (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. (5964 Views)

2009 Toyota Camry Almost Toks / How I Almost Got Scammed at Berger Car Depot. Read And Be Wise / Beware!! My 2014 GX460 Cleared By Adexfem Was Impounded By Custom Officers Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by obekediamondfuto(m): 1:39pm On Sep 17, 2018
jaymichael:
Cars within the permitted age limits are not contrabands. Obtaining assessment and C-number for your smuggled cars and paying the correct duty is not doctoring of documents. Your obtaining assessment and paying correct duty has achieved what the government was trying to prevent in the first place (by banning cars importation via land borders) LOSS OF REVENUE. I am a clearing agent (you are not) I know what obtains in the importation and clearing process.
Snuggling is a crime (if you are caught). Obtaining assessment and paying correct duty for smuggled cars within the appropriate age limits isn't a crime.

I really don't know what u r trying to prove
ok
let's go there

if paying duty on a smuggled vehicle is not a crime

what port of entry is used on the custom clearance documents?
the actual port or an arbitrary port?
no 1.

we will be progressing bit by bit.... for all to see
since u are trying so hard to prove something that is very obvious!

1 Like

Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by obekediamondfuto(m): 1:46pm On Sep 17, 2018
jaymichael:
Cars within the permitted age limits are not contrabands. Obtaining assessment and C-number for your smuggled cars and paying the correct duty is not doctoring of documents. Your obtaining assessment and paying correct duty has achieved what the government was trying to prevent in the first place (by banning cars importation via land borders) LOSS OF REVENUE. I am a clearing agent (you are not) I know what obtains in the importation and clearing process.
Snuggling is a crime (if you are caught). Obtaining assessment and paying correct duty for smuggled cars within the appropriate age limits isn't a crime.

I thought u wanted to prove something, let's start by u answering the questions and let the audience judge now....

what port of entry is entered into the Customs Database? a) Actual port b) arbitrary port c) No port(exempt)
Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by jaymichael(m): 1:56pm On Sep 17, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

I really don't know what u r trying to prove
ok
let's go there

if paying duty on a smuggled vehicle is not a crime

what port of entry is used on the custom clearance documents?
the actual port or an arbitrary port?
no 1.

we will be progressing bit by bit.... for all to see
since u are trying so hard to prove something that is very obvious!
The office through which you obtain assessment will be the port of entry. You won't go through the private DTI CAFE like manifested consignments but through the vehicle seat at the customs long room for example the one at Tincan command.
Note the penalty for smuggled consignments including cars is outright seizure but if you regularize your documents by paying the correct duty before being caught, you are good to go. This is more severe than goods and cars that are imported legally through the appropriate ports and borders but short payed the correct customs duty payable, such cars will be TEMPORARILY siezed and the owner asked to pay the appropriate balance before the car is released to him/her. That is the difference my brother. Buying and driving smuggled car is risky. You could lose your car to the government outrightly.
Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by obekediamondfuto(m): 2:02pm On Sep 17, 2018
jaymichael:
The office through which you obtain assessment will be the port of entry. You won't go through the private DTI CAFE like manifested consignments but through the vehicle seat at the customs long room for example the one at Tincan command.
Note the penalty for smuggled consignments including cars is outright seizure but if you regularize your documents by paying the correct duty before being caught , you are good to go. This is more severe than goods and cars that are imported legally through the appropriate ports and borders but short payed the correct customs duty payable, such cars will be TEMPORARILY siezed and the owner asked to pay the appropriate balance before the car is released to him/her. That is the difference my brother. Buying and driving smuggled car is risky. You could lose your car to the government outrightly .

now we are heading somewhere.

this is the first step towards redemption.
thank u so much for ur indulgence.... your first answer has already doused my curiosity.
Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by jaymichael(m): 2:03pm On Sep 17, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

I thought u wanted to prove something, let's start by u answering the questions and let the audience judge now....

what port of entry is entered into the Customs Database? a) Actual port b) arbitrary port c) No port(exempt)
I have adressed that. The audience cannot be the judge except they are customs officers or experienced customs agent who are conversant with the correct clearing procedure. I am speaking from a professional angle as I have 12 years+ experience i as a customs clearing agent.
penalty will be payed by the owner when obtaining the correct assessment for not following the correct procedure.
Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by obekediamondfuto(m): 2:10pm On Sep 17, 2018
jaymichael:
I have adressed that. The audience cannot be the judge except they are customs officers or experienced customs agent who are conversant with the correct clearing procedure. I am speaking from a professional angle as I have 12 years+ experience i as a customs clearing agent.
penalty will be payed by the owner when obtaining the correct assessment for not following the correct procedure.

well to me, u are accountable to a significant extent..... I would recommend u to the op If I have done a previous biz with u.... unfortunately I don't recommend people I haven't met or transacted with.... but I think u have more insight than the other amateurs........ and conscience also

but one more question! why do people still choose to smuggle cars and other goods.... is there a significant trade-off that corresponds to the value of their life dignity and integrity? knowing the position of the Govt?
Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by jaymichael(m): 2:21pm On Sep 17, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

well to me, u are accountable to a significant extent..... I would recommend u to the op If I have done a previous biz with u.... unfortunately I don't recommend people I haven't met or transacted with.... but I think u have more insight than the other amateurs........ and conscience also

but one more question! why do people still choose to smuggle cars and other goods.... is there a significant trade-off that corresponds to the value of their life dignity and integrity? knowing the position of the Govt?
Many people smuggle with the intention of not paying the correct customs duty to the government. Importation through Benin Republic is just marginally cheaper relative to Nigeria.
Sometimes people smuggle to bring in items that are prohibited in their home country like in Nigeria, used fridges and compressor, vegetable oils in jerrycans, used tires, used clothes etc. These items unfortunately has a lucrative market in Nigeria as most people cannot afford new and quality goods of such nature.

5 Likes

Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by Cosplay: 2:28pm On Sep 17, 2018
jaymichael:
I am speaking from a professional angle as I have 12 years+ experience i as a customs clearing agent.

jaymichael:

Snuggling is a crime (if you are caught) .

As far as I'm concerned the conversation should have ended as soon as the part in bold was included.

I suppose robbery is also a crime only if you are caught as well?

Well done.

1 Like

Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by jaymichael(m): 2:34pm On Sep 17, 2018
Cosplay:

As far as I'm concerned the conversation should have ended as soon as the part in bold was included.

I suppose robbery is also a crime only if you are caught as well?

Well done.
My brother, I included the bold part because smuggling happens everyday in this country. How do you think used tires, used fridges, okirika, foreign rice enter this country?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by Cosplay: 2:36pm On Sep 17, 2018
jaymichael:
My brother, I included the bold part because smuggling happens everyday in this country. How do you think used tires, used fridges, okirika, foreign rice enter this country?

Great logic.

That would mean that "because smuggling happens everyday in this country", it's suddenly legal and right?

Good to know.

1 Like

Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by hakimi1974(m): 2:41pm On Sep 17, 2018
Readonee35L:

Nkan Ti O Ye Eh. O po ju nkan to ye eh loh .
Meaning. What you dont understand is more than What you will ever know.

You see this questions . How and Why . thats the koko behind everything,
that is the magic that is not disclosed to the jews.

As much as there are lots of fake papers for cars from land borders.

There are geniune walk arounds. But it will look like a mystery to you because its not your specialization.

As corrupt as nigeria is today with ceritificate forgery e.t.c
You think ordinary custom duty will be a big deal.
grin

P.s I'm not a custom officer neither do i sell vehicles in cotonou
he, he, he. who no know, no go know.
Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by jaymichael(m): 2:46pm On Sep 17, 2018
Cosplay:

Great logic.

That would mean that "because smuggling happens everyday in this country", it's suddenly legal and right?

Good to know.
Where in my posts did I state the bolded?
Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by obekediamondfuto(m): 2:59pm On Sep 17, 2018
Cosplay:

Great logic.

Good to know.

BRO, this grey area mata tire me... it's something that the system obviously encourages.... and then people like the op are victims of omission or commission or both.....

it is wrong on all counts but to sanitize this area....... we will need to first regularize all outstanding like the op.......

my annoyance is that people now see it as the norm....like smuggling is now a legit biz.... like that other dude..... at least someone here was decent enough to call it what it truly is......

is there a solution to this......

How can someone actually come out in the open and say "I Smuggle " so what? it's appalling but wetin I go do.... I'll continue to operate within the legal confines..

one sure thing, Nigeria is so corrupt that someone corrupt enough will begin to look into this area with a view to exploit existing users of smuggled goods.
Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by Mayor555(m): 3:04pm On Sep 17, 2018
jaymichael:

Sir, ignore henceforth.. You have said enough. God bless.
Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by Mayor555(m): 3:07pm On Sep 17, 2018
omonla10:
do u know 2003 cars and below are banned in Nigeria. How come customs collect penalties officially and allow them in.. Same rule applies bro.. I'm not arguing here.. It's a pity I've put myself in trouble this Monday morning cos I said what I know

There's no trouble saying what you know...subsequent replies were totally unnecessary. There the trouble started... Good to know you stopped responding before going more deep with them..
Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by Mayor555(m): 3:11pm On Sep 17, 2018
jaymichael:
Many people smuggle with the intention of not paying the correct customs duty to the government. Importation through Benin Republic is just marginally cheaper relative to Nigeria.
Sometimes people smuggle to bring in items that are prohibited in their home country like in Nigeria, used fridges and compressor, vegetable oils in jerrycans, used tires, used clothes etc. These items unfortunately has a lucrative market in Nigeria as most people cannot afford new and quality goods of such nature.

God help the government of Nigeria to improve living standard.

I won't want to explore this particular submission of yours against them.... It's going to bite them and besides I like the individual involved.
Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by Cosplay: 3:46pm On Sep 17, 2018
jaymichael:

Your initial statement:

jaymichael:

Smuggling is a crime (if you are caught) .

The clear explanation and implication of the above is that smuggling is legal if the smuggler is not caught.
Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by Cosplay: 3:48pm On Sep 17, 2018
Now that the Neanderthals have arrived with the saviour complex to bless us all with their knowledge, back to the original message:

The alarm has been sounded about these dishonest practices over and over.

Chances are your vehicle came in over the land border like the vehicle in the thread below

https://www.nairaland.com/4547787/how-oviecardealer-helped-me-purchased

He who will pay attention, let him learn.

https://www.nairaland.com/4516266/only-legal-way-bringing-vehicles

1 Like

Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by TheMadame(f): 5:33pm On Sep 17, 2018
jaymichael:

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2KLfaLk4Z9bIzMA94JEDN04;_ylu=X3oDMTBydDI5cXVuBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM2BHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1537233508/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fthenationonlineng.net%2fwill-ban-vehicle-importation-land-borders-boost-economy%2f/RK=2/RS=bcdl30kNPe2BsswpW6Y7DyB_aKE-
Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by TheMadame(f): 5:35pm On Sep 17, 2018
A year ago when the government banned vehicles importation through the borders I asked the same questions being asked by rational people here on this thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/2731332/wonderful-experience-mr-tadeus/52#52683909
Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by Gluckdude20(m): 6:14am On Sep 18, 2018
my question still remains whats the next best step to take?
Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by obekediamondfuto(m): 7:33am On Sep 18, 2018
Gluckdude20:
my question still remains whats the next best step to take?

bros, have u not been reading the comments....

right now all u can do is damage control.....

u have to shine ur eyes and probably liaise with a clearing agent...... as for recommendation.... I doubt if anyone will do that....

but u can look up saintjoel.... or jeladventures... still shine ur eyes wella..... very very well.

why I appreciate jaymicheal is.... when he discovered that the discussion could only go in One Direction he came out plain......

the penalty for no duty on a vehicle is more severe than half payment : outright seizure.... that is the law.... those other guys talking Jack about festac, ikeja, Ivory Coast etc... na only dem know as dem deytake do am but I'm sure it's a backyard package which can go south fast.

1 Like

Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by Gluckdude20(m): 12:41pm On Sep 18, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

u have to shine ur eyes and probably liaise with a clearing agent...... as for recommendation.... I doubt if anyone will do that....

but u can look up saintjoel.... or jeladventures... still shine ur eyes wella..... very very well.

why I appreciate jaymicheal is.... when he discovered that the discussion could only go in One Direction he came out plain......

the penalty for no duty on a vehicle is more severe than half payment : outright seizure.... that is the law.... those other guys talking Jack about festac, ikeja, Ivory Coast etc... na only dem know as dem deytake do am but I'm sure it's a backyard package which can go south fast.
Thanks. i think i will just sell the car to someone who doesnt travel and only drive inner city. and will deduct the custom duty price off it.

1 Like

Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by Nobody: 12:58pm On Sep 18, 2018
Gluckdude20:

Thanks. i think i will just sell the car to someone who doesnt travel and only drive inner city. and will deduct the custom duty price off it.

drop contact and let's talk bro
Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by kuntash: 1:00pm On Sep 18, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

Your excitement on a thread of someone that requires genuine assistance has made it difficult for even the OP to follow up with rational reasoning.

You are just jumping up and down as if you are the person that sold the car to him or the customs officer that arrested him ..

pls cool down, a thread like this isnt meant for such, lets see how he would probably get solution for others to learn.

you have posted many things here... I suppose thats enough for the OP to chew, let others read pls !

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by Gluckdude20(m): 1:15pm On Sep 18, 2018
ayosamlove:

drop contact and let's talk bro
0 9 0 5 2 5 4 1 9 1 4
Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by obekediamondfuto(m): 1:32pm On Sep 18, 2018
kuntash:

Your excitement on a thread of someone that requires genuine assistance has made it difficult for even the OP to follow up with rational reasoning.

You are just jumping up and down as if you are the person that sold the car to him or the customs officer that arrested him ..

pls cool down, a thread like this isnt meant for such, lets see how he would probably get solution for others to learn.

you have posted many things here... I suppose thats enough for the OP to chew, let others read pls !

so?
Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by saintjoel(m): 1:29am On Sep 19, 2018
Gluckdude20:
I'm sharing this to know if there is anyone that has had similar experience in the past and how they were able to resolve it.

I was on the highway just last week and i got pulled over by customs, after going through my customs docs, they told me my document was fake and the dealer who sold the vehicle made a fake document for me. the fact is the document i have actually checked out at customs initially when i went to verify it before payment, but apparently the customs papers wasn't for my car but a similar car, and that's how i was outsmarted embarassed, never gonna happy again anyway. i was actually let go after sorting things out with them wink.

Now the point is i want to actually make the payment duty, but the customs guys were saying border is closed and i cant make payment again, which means i cant travel with the vehicle, to avoid similar experience. cry

Now i'm totally confuse, i know there is away around this, but the right link is what i need, as i've spent a lot on the vehicle trying to make it to my taste and selling it off isn't my first option at it stands. sad

OP, I wouldn't know but I'm so sure that either you sent someone that had interest in your purchase to check the duty documents for you and the person came back with another story, so that you could make the purchase and he/she would get the commission or you just decided to make the purchase without checks....... Customs will never make that mistake because they would have asked for the last six digits of chassis and once it didn't tally with the one in the server, they would've told you asap......

That aside and back to the issue of you getting legit docs.... THIS IS A VERY THORNY ISSUE.... There are so many grey areas and I wouldn't want to step on toes because at the end, there are some of us that meet in the actual world and I don't involve myself in issues that can hurt what I do for a living..... The Nigerian system isn't entirely foolproof but customs are getting wiser by the minute because they've informants gleaning info from online platforms and also by moving around agents and importers at the ports and land borders.... If anyone tells you that you can get legit docs for the car..... I wouldn't argue but JUST MAKE SURE IT HAS A MANIFEST AND IT HAS BEEN PROPERLY EXITED WITH A INSPECTION ACT.......... Most of the people that will promise to help out will just make bank payments and leave you to bear the brunt of moving around papers that weren't released by customs and that is a FACT..... The cost of getting a legit duty document is so expensive that you might find yourself paying N750,000 for a 2008 Camry that should ordinarily have paid N550,000 if it came in through the ports legitimately......

Just be cautious cos work no dey too go again and guys are seriously hungry....

A letter written directly to the C.G of customs can solve your issue but be ready to pay way more than you bargained for.... .... Thanks.....

2 Likes

Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by MrMcJay(m): 1:43am On Sep 19, 2018
Cosplay:

Congratulations from the Jews over here. May your acclaimed magic be the source of all good things to you.

All excerpts from

https://www.nairaland.com/4516266/only-legal-way-bringing-vehicles

When an "agent" was asked to clarify the process:

To which the response was:

From the "agent":

Cosplay, I'll create a topic and mention you. I have a live case over this matter at hand.
Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by sheffyUTD(m): 4:24am On Sep 19, 2018
saintjoel:

.... There are so many grey areas and I wouldn't want to step on toes because at the end, there are some of us that meet in the actual world and I don't involve myself in issues that can hurt what I do for a living.... .

: cheesy cheesy cheesy Bros, you need to go back to NDA

saintjoel:

..... The Nigerian system isn't entirely foolproof but customs are getting wiser by the minute .... If anyone tells you that you can get legit docs for the car..... I wouldn't argue but JUST MAKE SURE IT HAS A MANIFEST AND IT HAS BEEN PROPERLY EXITED WITH A INSPECTION ACT .......... Most of the people that will promise to help out will just make bank payments and leave you to bear the brunt of moving around papers that weren't released by customs and that is a FACT..... .

End of discussion

2 Likes

Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by saintjoel(m): 7:19am On Sep 19, 2018
sheffyUTD:

[/b]

Lol, sheffyutd abeg don't kill me with laughter but it's true,some people haven't discovered that there's more to this life than coming to nairaland to open mouth yakata....That was the most diplomatic answer I could bring up.....

1 Like

Re: My Muscle Camry Almost Got Impounded. by saintjoel(m): 7:20am On Sep 19, 2018
sheffyUTD:

[/b]

Lol, sheffyutd abeg don't kill me with laughter but it's true,some people haven't discovered that there's more to this life than coming to nairaland to open mouth yakata....That was the most diplomatic answer I could bring up............

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2012 Ford Ranger For Sale @ 4.4m / sold Clean Reg. 2002 HONDA CIVIC For Sale Asap. 380k / Brand New 2015 Toyota Landcruiser Prado TXL

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.