Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,767 members, 7,802,344 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:50 PM

Youths And Peer Pressure - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Youths And Peer Pressure (282 Views)

Avoiding Negative Peer Pressure / Youths And Peer Pressure / How Do You Cope With Pressure To Cheat On Your Spouse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Youths And Peer Pressure by vicmoore131: 8:13pm On Sep 18, 2018
Do you face peer pressure ? When you cave in to peer pressure, you become like a mindless robot because you allow other people to control you. Peer pressure is strong among young people, ie. they want to be like other people of same age.
What is Peer Pressure ?
Peer pressure is a situation where we know something is wrong but we are being confronted with the situation of accepting it in order to become people pleasers. Appearance and attitude are changed and not for better. Resisting peer pressure is a challenge to our present day youths – as they would be seen as social rejects and that hurts. Many youths give in to peer pressure to be liked and accepted.
What You Should Know
a) Peer Pressure Can Make Good People Do Bad Things
Most youths know that certain courses are wrong but when confronted with the situation (peer pressure) their emotions take over and they become people pleasers.

b) Peer Pressure Is Not Just Pressure Put On You By Peers
The pressure that most youth feel often come from them; really, they are the ones that desire the things that their peers are talking about and that they make seem so exciting.

c) Facing Up To Peer Pressure Is An Accomplishment You Can Be Proud of
At one time, it may be difficult for youths to face up to peer pressure, but now they are not afraid to be different and firm in their decisions.
How To Resist Peer Pressure
When faced with peer pressure to do wrong, try the followings:
1. Weigh The Consequences
Ask yourself, “What if I give in to the pressure and then get caught ? What will my parents think of me ? What will I think of myself ?”

2. Strengthen Your Conviction
Ask yourself, “Why do I believe that this course is harmful, either to myself or to others?” Well, be firm in your beliefs regarding right and wrong. The answer should come from you and not anyone else.

3. Think About Your Identity
Ask yourself, “What kind of person do I want to be ?” Then think about the pressure you are facing and ask “what would that kind of person do in this situation?”
Be content with who you are, so you don’t care as much what others think of you. Be your real self.

4. Think Beyond The Present
If you are in school, in a few years or even months, the very people you are trying to impress may not even be in your life and their opinion will not matter to you and you would stay to your true beliefs.
Conclusively, if you have low self-worth, you might strive to fit in with others just to feel good about yourself. How you feel about yourself has a huge impact on how you deal with peer pressure. If you have self-confidence, you don’t care what about you and peer pressure suddenly becomes unimportant and therefore it is easier to recognize peer pressure for what it is and then ignore it.

(1) (Reply)

Stream Your Weddings Live On Shop For Deals!!!!! / 3 Secrets Information For Anti - Aging / How Is Your Xmas Celebration Going?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.