Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,533 members, 7,808,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:08 PM

Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers (23701 Views)

9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make / Police Bar Officers From Demanding Customs Papers, Tinted Glass Permit / Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by AngelicBeing: 11:56am On Oct 13, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
The venza was only impounded because of underpayment.
It will be released as soon as he tops up the oil payment.

before you pay for a car (toks, new or used) ensure you verify how much was paid and confirm if it is the right amount for that era (obasanjo, goodluck, buhari)

Finally No do Gra Gra Mathew 5:25 has explained it properly.
Hahaha, Lol at Matthew 5:25, Una go kill person with laugh for Nairaland.com, it means give to caeser what belongs to caeser shocked

1 Like

Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by TundeHashim(m): 11:56am On Oct 13, 2018
I'll speak strictly from a legal point of view. There is something called "bona fide purchaser for value without notice". This is a concept deeply rooted in the garment and firmament of our laws from time immemorial. The basic gist of this concept is that if someone obtains a defective title to a property without knowing that the title of the previous owner is defective, and having done every thing within his power to ascertain the defect, the law would allow him keep such property. For example, if Mr. A sells his land to Mr B. and Mr. A has colluded with the officials of the land registry in issuing wrong papers to Mr B. If Mr B should sell the land to C and C goes to the land registry, conduct a search and discovers everything is okay. The law would allow C. to keep the land because he is a bona fide purchaser for value without notice (of the illegality)

Applying this principle strictly to what we have on ground, the custom officials, in my view, won't have the right to permanently impound the vehicle. He has conducted a search in their office and everything looks fine. So he has no fault since he wasn't the one who bribed the custom officials but his predecessor-in-title.

That's my opinion through

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by Tadeus(m): 11:58am On Oct 13, 2018
Readonee35L:

You are throwing a bait smiley ....
Smuggling is illegal .
If you have such car burn it . nothing can be done

This you answer suppose collect award dis year.... good advice... lols

1 Like

Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by Readonee35L(m): 12:13pm On Oct 13, 2018
Tadeus:

This you answer suppose collect award dis year.... good advice... lols
Naso my guy
Everything here na setup . grin grin

1 Like

Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by Jbcmotive(m): 12:16pm On Oct 13, 2018
MrMcJay,

These scams are unbecoming. I manage a FB page "Port Harcourt Buying and Selling" and you would not imagine that posts from Nigerian customs selling cars and all sorts of good are what seem to be plaguing the page. So, I woke up one midnight and banned all the people making such post and ensured screening of intending members.

While we are at it, kindly subscribe to my YouTube channel. Abeg, no be fight, I dey find subscribers grin surprise me pls. tongue tongue

https://www.youtube.com/c/jbcmotive

sultaan, egunmogaji, piyke, Obekediamondfuto, thebigkendo, thecar, sooperrescue, Banky3w, LeJeun3, Mayor2013, autologic, Autoelectng, Kingreign, chukel, radautoworks, opsudei1, oblo, TheMadame, weyreypeye, razaqmb, nurey, nwanneni, Princetom1, cosplay, johnabraham, evilspirit,deedee44, carshopper, protocol, taxiappguy, Timifakay,gentlelife50, jayooh, jergermeister, lacomb, chillex8, fogman, Enyinne krisrock. Readonee35L, Kashif, Gazzuzz, ejembi25, saintjoel, pattybf, CarGuideNG, calculus.
[/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by LandOwners: 1:43pm On Oct 13, 2018
Cars are liabilities... Invest that money in real estate.
Check my signature.
Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by Dantedasz(m): 1:56pm On Oct 13, 2018
TundeHashim:
I'll speak strictly from a legal point of view. There is something called "bona fide purchaser for value without notice". This is a concept deeply rooted in the garment and firmament of our laws from time immemorial. The basic gist of this concept is that if someone obtains a defective title to a property without knowing that the title of the previous owner is defective, and having done every thing within his power to ascertain the defect, the law would allow him keep such property. For example, if Mr. A sells his land to Mr B. and Mr. A has colluded with the officials of the land registry in issuing wrong papers to Mr B. If Mr B should sell the land to C and C goes to the land registry, conduct a search and discovers everything is okay. The law would allow C. to keep the land because he is a bona fide purchaser for value without notice (of the illegality)

Applying this principle strictly to what we have on ground, the custom officials, in my view, won't have the right to permanently impound the vehicle. He has conducted a search in their office and everything looks fine. So he has no fault since he wasn't the one who bribed the custom officials but his predecessor-in-title.

That's my opinion through

Customs have their own laws based on the Customs and Excise Management Act.
The vehicle is liable to outright seizure for fraudulent evasion of customs duty.
CEMA PART 3 CHAPTER 46. PENALTY FOR EVASION OF DUTY.
https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.customs.gov.ng/Statutory/management_act.php&ved=2ahUKEwiVs7aYvIPeAhUEQhoKHdcABwUQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1kxuFzEq43XabnDg4TZDct
Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by Nobody: 2:12pm On Oct 13, 2018
O boi you sure say i never one chance?buying foreign used discussion continue for N1.5m. I need advice o
Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by omonla10(m): 2:24pm On Oct 13, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

it's not the country, that is a red flag anywhere....

even in naija, which kain mood? so if the valuation officer is feeling generous, it can be done free?

leave the guy, he is a red flag, that's y I called him out... the exploit is intended for the greedy, gullible and naive.... unfortunately this segment of the society constitutes more than half of the population
I'm a red flag agreed. by the grace of God, I delivered 6 cars this week alone.do do the math pls. These are d 2 Corollas I paid 900k each on. The 2nd one is still in my compound. If u need pix of d papers I can give u. How will u grow when u block every opportunity to learn. Smh..
Mood means sometimes duties are relaxed a little or not relaxed due to pressure to meet certain income targets by customs.

Nb. Pls go ahead and verify well if it's legit or underpaid, that's why I left the numbers visible. Just sit in Ur office or car lot and be typing rubbish

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by stevalos555: 4:08pm On Oct 13, 2018
omonla10:
I'm a red flag agreed. by the grace of God, I delivered 6 cars this week alone.do do the math pls. These are d 2 Corollas I paid 900k each on. The 2nd one is still in my compound. If u need pix of d papers I can give u. How will u grow when u block every opportunity to learn. Smh..
Mood means sometimes duties are relaxed a little or not relaxed due to pressure to meet certain income targets by customs.

Nb. Pls go ahead and verify well if it's legit or underpaid, that's why I left the numbers visible. Just sit in Ur office or car lot and be typing rubbish

Ops you friend didn't tell you what really happened. That vehicle used a very fraudulent method to obtain the Duty payment. As a certified Customs Agent, what happened is that, Someone tampered with the original captured SGD in the system, did a Post Entry Modification and Inserted the car in the China Shipment, Actually what that agent said earlier about people still getting Genuine customs paper via the ports even if the vehicles were imported via Land border is correct but its based on application and approval from the highest authority. I wont like to divulge more for the sensitivity of this, But my advice, always check the genuine status of your papers in a customs office CPC before buying the car. The law is outright seizure, officers can be generous to let you go but you must pay mega.

And for you my friend, Questions:

1. How can we verify your papers without the C Number of the SGD.
2. For a 2014 Corrolla you need a PAAR
3. With PAAR you can't pay =N= 700,000 for a 2014 Corrolla

If i am an officer on the road, na Mega choppings be this, like 1 million choppings. For a car wey reach how many million you come pay 700k.
Everyone lets do this, How much is the market price of a 2014 Corrolla, calculate the 35%, if you have paid less, you are in danger
4. Last Guys check your papers before buying them.

Thanks

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by obekediamondfuto(m): 5:58pm On Oct 13, 2018
stevalos555:

Ops you friend didn't tell you what really happened. That vehicle used a very fraudulent method to obtain the Duty payment. As a certified Customs Agent, what happened is that, Someone tampered with the original captured SGD in the system, did a Post Entry Modification and Inserted the car in the China Shipment, Actually what that agent said earlier about people still getting Genuine customs paper via the ports even if the vehicles were imported via Land border is correct but its based on application and approval from the highest authority. I wont like to divulge more for the sensitivity of this, But my advice, always check the genuine status of your papers in a customs office CPC before buying the car. The law is outright seizure, officers can be generous to let you go but you must pay mega.

If i am an officer on the road, na Mega choppings be this, like 1 million choppings. For a car wey reach how many million you come pay 700k.
Everyone lets do this, How much is the market price of a 2014 Corrolla, calculate the 35%, if you have paid less, you are in danger

Thanks

cc omonla10.

oya answer......
Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by omonla10(m): 6:19pm On Oct 13, 2018
stevalos555:

Thanks
Do u know the 700k amounted to 901k total duty?
Can u see $6558 as the accepted value for 2014 and the 35% duty is calculated from it
can u see a barcode on d valuation? If u scan it u'll get d duty, name of car and chassis number.
Did i generate that from my phone?
for a 2014 car u need a Paar..? Loooool.. That's d craziest statement I've heard..do u even know d meaning of Paar? Is Paar not used for new items. Look person wey dey claim officer. Right now, pick a phone, call Ur friends at Grimaldi valuation, ask
1.how much valuation for a 2014 Corolla.
2. Do u need Paar for 2014 car.
3.if d valuation paper is genuine or fake.

Then come back to disclaim urself.. I seriously doubt u know what ure saying.

Cc obekediamondfuto
Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by asamwababy: 8:16pm On Oct 13, 2018
According to the CBN Foreign exchange manual.

Form M and Paar must be generated for all item of imports. No item was excluded from it in the CBN Foreign exchange manual drafted by the NCS,CBN and Ministry of finance.

Unfortunately, it has become a norm to import used cars without establishing form m.

Without the establishment of form m the Nigeria single window can not generate a paar.

NCS made only Form m and PAAR generation mandatory for the importation of brand new cars but that doesn't stop you from establishing a form m for your used vehicle.

Clearing agents should please read the acts and guidelines which centers around the trade they ply, rather than on the premise that this is how we have been doing it.

This is how we have been doing it for used cars mentality is shipping them without establishing form m and approaching NCS for valuation.

CC:Omonla10

Please dont miseducate the public paar is also issued for used item only that you need to present a NESRA certificate.

1 Like

Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by omonla10(m): 8:50pm On Oct 13, 2018
asamwababy:
According to the CBN Foreign exchange manual.

Form M and Paar must be generated for all item of imports. No item was excluded from it in the CBN Foreign exchange manual drafted by the NCS,CBN and Ministry of finance.

Unfortunately, it has become a norm to import used cars without establishing form m.

Without the establishment of form m the Nigeria single window can not generate a paar.

NCS made only Form m and PAAR generation mandatory for the importation of brand new cars but that doesn't stop you from establishing a form m for your used vehicle.

Clearing agents should please read the acts and guidelines which centers around the trade they ply, rather than on the premise that this is how we have been doing it.

This is how we have been doing it for used cars mentality is shipping them without establishing form m and approaching NCS for valuation.

CC:Omonla10

Please dont miseducate the public paar is also issued for used item only that you need to present a NESRA certificate.
OK sir. So if I Wan clear 04 Corolla and custom gimme duty to pay, I will start looking for Paar or Nigerian constitution. What if I now have 20 vehicles to clear? Remember, I depend on clients to give me cars to clear. If u were my client, would you love going through extra wahala when there's a laid down legit way..
Honestly, I just feel u want to paint me bad or label me a fraud. And would go any length to validate Ur claim..

OK I accept, my name is Judas. . Are u happy now?

1 Like

Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by asamwababy: 8:54pm On Oct 13, 2018
You missed the point of my post and only the last comment was for you on the issue of used paar.

The post has nothing to do with your stance or to discredit you on duty payable on said vehicles.

Intent on post is just to clarify the ideal process on item of imports into Nigeria based on the acts.

No one here is out to discredit you rather they are pointing you in the direction of re evaluating your process to ensure you re doing the right thing in order to avoid getting your fingers or that of your customers burnt.

1 Like

Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by Nobody: 12:19pm On Oct 14, 2018
Jbcmotive:
MrMcJay,

These scams are unbecoming. I manage a FB page "Port Harcourt Buying and Selling" and you would not imagine that posts from Nigerian customs selling cars and all sorts of good are what seem to be plaguing the page. So, I woke up one midnight and banned all the people making such post and ensured screening of intending members.

While we are at it, kindly subscribe to my YouTube channel. Abeg, no be fight, I dey find subscribers grin surprise me pls. tongue tongue

https://www.youtube.com/c/jbcmotive

sultaan, egunmogaji, piyke, Obekediamondfuto, thebigkendo, thecar, sooperrescue, Banky3w, LeJeun3, Mayor2013, autologic, Autoelectng, Kingreign, chukel, radautoworks, opsudei1, oblo, TheMadame, weyreypeye, razaqmb, nurey, nwanneni, Princetom1, cosplay, johnabraham, evilspirit,deedee44, carshopper, protocol, taxiappguy, Timifakay,gentlelife50, jayooh, jergermeister, lacomb, chillex8, fogman, Enyinne krisrock. Readonee35L, Kashif, Gazzuzz, ejembi25, saintjoel, pattybf, CarGuideNG, calculus.

I also run a manufacturer centric page on Facebook.

They try the same posts but it never sees daylight on my page.

We have to be the Nigeria we hope for.

1 Like

Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:38am On Oct 15, 2018
MrMcJay:
Sometime ago, a clearing agent boasted here on Nairaland that he helps people bring vehicles in from Cotonou and register them at the Tincan Ports in Lagos despite the fact that land borders have been closed by the Nigerian Customs to vehicle importation. When we asked him how he'll do it, he said he has his way of doing it.

That day, I made this comment below:

Just yesterday, a Nairalander opened the thread below:
https://www.nairaland.com/4737275/muscle-camry-almost-got-impounded

What made me open this thread was an incident that happened to a friend a few weeks ago. He bought a Tokunbo Venza from an auto dealer here in Nigeria. Before buying, he conducted due-diligence at the customs desk and it checked out.

After using it for about a year, he resold it to another buyer. The second buyer also conducted due-diligence at the customs desk and it also checked out.

While on Badagry Road, customs officers stopped him and after inspecting his papers, they impounded the vehicle. The buyer was confident to take on them because he had Customs Papers which checked out as at when he bought.

When he got to the office, the Customs guys explained what happened.

1. The agent who cleared the vehicle attached the details of the vehicle to a Container coming into Nigeria as if the vehicle was part of the cargo into Nigeria.

2. The Origin of the container was China and it was carrying industrial parts.

3. The dealership that sold the vehicle was in Texas, America.

4. They traced the details of the vehicle and discovered that it sailed from Houston to Porto Novo in Republic of Benin.

5. Last recorded Port was in Benin Republic before it miraculously appeared in a container coming from China to be cleared in Lagos.

6. There is no legal way that vehicle could have gotten to Nigeria from Cotonou.

7. In Lagos Port, the agent underpaid the value of the car but somehow got the customs papers.

The reason for this epistle is to provide information to prevent innocent Nairalanders from falling into this crime perpetrated by fraudulent agents and their allies.

1. Is there a way an innocent buyer can avoid falling into this problem?

2. Is there a particular Customs office buyers can go to physically verify that not only were the proper duties paid, but correct information given?

3. If you pay and customs officers collude with unscrupulous agents to defraud Nigerians, is there an official mechanism to get redress for the innocent buyer?

4. Is there an avenue for innocent buyers to pay unpaid customs fees over sized vehicles and ensure they are released?

5. For vehicles bought brand new in Nigeria and receipts issued by dealers, is there a way to verify duties were paid on those vehicles?

This is a kind of self-help thread since there's hardly information on these anywhere and the customs guys don't care.

Comments are welcome.

am none nigerian so

just want to understand how things work in nigeria

1st why should a customs officer random stop any car and ask for import papers and duty paid ? it is not the duty of the buyer to prove to custom officer that the car paid enough duty
the person who imported the car was liable to do that and if he underpaid. so lets say the car was sold 5 times and am the present owner how will know if the car paid enough duty a car that was imported 5 years ago ?

Is it not that the custom officers are taking advantage of the general public being ignorant of not know that, as a buyer of a car imported by someone , you are not liable to pay duty on the car, the importer was

also as the buyer of a car that was imported by someone else, you can not be liable to produce import papers, those are only required when registering the car to get licence plate (UK) format you only get proper papers to register you car after paying enough duty. so in nigerian why would an officer ask me custom papers when am
not the importer of the car ?

like i said let me know how things work in nigeria,

yes a custom officer can stop a vehicle and check cars especially the ones under investigation but asking for customs papers and duty paid is meant to be asked the importer and customs

back to the story

noted 4 and 5

the care was claimed to be have passed through Benin ports right, so if the car was recorded at Benin ports then it means the car was in transit to somewhere, hence why Benin ports have the record so were was the heading if they claim that

later the car appeared on list from a container from china ?

so it means on the Benin port the car was heading for nigeria on a different container, besides reappering on container from china and still heading for nigeria, if the car was heading somewhere else beside nigeria, customs wouldnt have traced it back to benin port as they claim becoz they wouldnt have paperwork for goods that had nothing to do with nigeria, unless if the car was passing through nigeria to another country
Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by stevalos555: 2:21pm On Oct 16, 2018
omonla10:
Do u know the 700k amounted to 901k total duty?
Can u see $6558 as the accepted value for 2014 and the 35% duty is calculated from it
can u see a barcode on d valuation? If u scan it u'll get d duty, name of car and chassis number.
Did i generate that from my phone?
for a 2014 car u need a Paar..? Loooool.. That's d craziest statement I've heard..do u even know d meaning of Paar? Is Paar not used for new items. Look person wey dey claim officer. Right now, pick a phone, call Ur friends at Grimaldi valuation, ask
1.how much valuation for a 2014 Corolla.
2. Do u need Paar for 2014 car.
3.if d valuation paper is genuine or fake.

Then come back to disclaim urself.. I seriously doubt u know what ure saying.

Cc obekediamondfuto

NOW I KNOW YOU DON'T know what you are saying you oluwole customs certificate fraudster, BAR CODE FOR CAR DUTY CERTIFICATE JUST TO VALIDATE YOUR CLAIM. No valuation certificate comes with a Bar code for any verification because the Custom NICIS system doesn't have anything like it. Young man what is the C number of the car and let me check here in PTML if that your car is genuine.

We just finished the training in NICIS. you can't verify car duty certificate via any useless code.You must be among those people scamming people on social media. Send me the C number and i will check this ur document.

I make this clam here,anybody that buys that car you are on your own, Customs officers go use you chop well..

Any vehicle from 2014 and above requires PAAR for clearing, if a customs officers catches you without it, you are done for.

The cost of 2014 tokumbo corrolla is 4.5 to 6 million, calculate 35% and get an idea of the eventual duty. I know of a 2010 Honda accord caught by FOU C last year and the guy paid 2 Million and you say 2014 Corolla pay 700k. Get out of here Men

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by stevalos555: 2:53pm On Oct 16, 2018
ZIMDRILL:

am none nigerian so

just want to understand how things work in nigeria

1st why should a customs officer random stop any car and ask for import papers and duty paid ? it is not the duty of the buyer to prove to custom officer that the car paid enough duty
the person who imported the car was liable to do that and if he underpaid. so lets say the car was sold 5 times and am the present owner how will know if the car paid enough duty a car that was imported 5 years ago ?

First Custom & Excise Management Act CEMA a Law of the Federal Republic Of Nigeria LFN gives customs officers the power to search and ask such questions.

Secondly The importers in Nigeria have a very destructive method of importing cars in Nigeria. This is because our border are porous, they smuggle so many cars into the country through Benin republic, customs officers cannot ascertain in details the number of vehicles imported into the country everyday. This is because of staff strength, risk involved and low Morale etc

Thirdly Customs have tried as much as possible to educate the public on the powers the wield and the need for owners of vehicle to verify the authenticity of the vehicle in their possession. They have emphasized also the penalty of defaulters.

Also the law back that vehicle above 25 yrs shouldn't be imported, so if you vehicle after 5 years falls into that category most officers will not bother to know the status of your car duty payment. Also a car that is above five years of usage and where it been driven determines if it will be profiled or not. Example driving a neat venza in the Highway will definitely attract officers because of the year of manufacture and the place is driven, but driving same in Lagos city won't except a tip off.

Is it not that the custom officers are taking advantage of the general public being ignorant of not know that, as a buyer of a car imported by someone , you are not liable to pay duty on the car, the importer was

also as the buyer of a car that was imported by someone else, you can not be liable to produce import papers, those are only required when registering the car to get licence plate (UK) format you only get proper papers to register you car after paying enough duty. so in Nigerian why would an officer ask me custom papers when am
not the importer of the car ?

well in Nigeria you are required to take along all necessary documentations because at the point of car registration most of these documentation are not required. The customs have been proposing to Government to mandate FRSC to make it mandatory for customs papers, to be presented before licensing and vehicle registration but till now... SO officers resort to stop and search.

like i said let me know how things work in nigeria,

yes a custom officer can stop a vehicle and check cars especially the ones under investigation but asking for customs papers and duty paid is meant to be asked the importer and customs

back to the story

noted 4 and 5

the care was claimed to be have passed through Benin ports right, so if the car was recorded at Benin ports then it means the car was in transit to somewhere, hence why Benin ports have the record so were was the heading if they claim that

later the car appeared on list from a container from china ?

so it means on the Benin port the car was heading for nigeria on a different container, besides reappering on container from china and still heading for nigeria, if the car was heading somewhere else beside nigeria, customs wouldnt have traced it back to benin port as they claim becoz they wouldnt have paperwork for goods that had nothing to do with nigeria, unless if the car was passing through nigeria to another country

The vehicle was simply smuggled through Benin republic, the border is so free, you can smuggle a human being through it. A particular African leader comes to mind...
Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by omonla10(m): 5:22pm On Oct 16, 2018
I didn't bother reading further when u said Barcode does not exist. Only a fool will continually argue facts.. Barcode has been in existence for the past few months. Before u continue to embarrass urself, pick. Up a fone and call to confirm from real agents at the port.. Would I be stupid to post a fake document on this platform. It's like arguing that the water u drink is petrol. Let's both bet on an y amount that a 2014 car requires a Paar or form m. How can a 2014 Corolla cost 6m from America. Used for that matter.. Smh for u seriously

Finally, maximum duty u will pay right now on a 2010 Honda Accord at ptml is 641,000 naira.. Don't know where u get these Ur ridiculous figures. If u want my office address at tincan I'll gladly give u maybe u can learn one or two things and dump this Ur archaic knowledge
stevalos555:

NOW I KNOW YOU DON'T know what you are saying you oluwole customs certificate fraudster, BAR CODE FOR CAR DUTY CERTIFICATE JUST TO VALIDATE YOUR CLAIM. No valuation certificate comes with a Bar code for any verification because the Custom NICIS system doesn't have anything like it. Young man what is the C number of the car and let me check here in PTML if that your car is genuine.

We just finished the training in NICIS. you can't verify car duty certificate via any useless code.You must be among those people scamming people on social media. Send me the C number and i will check this ur document.

I make this clam here,anybody that buys that car you are on your own, Customs officers go use you chop well..

Any vehicle from 2014 and above requires PAAR for clearing, if a customs officers catches you without it, you are done for.

The cost of 2014 tokumbo corrolla is 4.5 to 6 million, calculate 35% and get an idea of the eventual duty. I know of a 2010 Honda accord caught by FOU C last year and the guy paid 2 Million and you say 2014 Corolla pay 700k. Get out of here Men

Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by nemadfsyahooc: 6:48pm On Oct 16, 2018
omonla10:
I didn't bother reading further when u said Barcode does not exist. Only a fool will continually argue facts.. Barcode has been in existence for the past few months. Before u continue to embarrass urself, pick. Up a fone and call to confirm from real agents at the port.. Would I be stupid to post a fake document on this platform. It's like arguing that the water u drink is petrol. Let's both bet on an y amount that a 2014 car requires a Paar or form m. How can a 2014 Corolla cost 6m from America. Used for that matter.. Smh for u seriously

Finally, maximum duty u will pay right now on a 2010 Honda Accord at ptml is 641,000 naira.. Don't know where u get these Ur ridiculous figures. If u want my office address at tincan I'll gladly give u maybe u can learn one or two things and dump this Ur archaic knowledge
Can a custom officer impound a 2005model vehicle, registered and already in used in naija since 2012?. What custom papers are required for such vehicles. Thanks
Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by omonla10(m): 8:44pm On Oct 16, 2018
nemadfsyahooc:

Can a custom officer impound a 2005model vehicle, registered and already in used in naija since 2012?. What custom papers are required for such vehicles. Thanks
it's all about if duty was paid or not.. If duty wasn't paid, then it can be impounded.. 2012 is still very fresh on customs database
Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:17pm On Oct 16, 2018
stevalos555:

First Custom & Excise Management Act CEMA a Law of the Federal Republic Of Nigeria LFN gives customs officers the power to search and ask such questions.

Secondly The importers in Nigeria have a very destructive method of importing cars in Nigeria. This is because our border are porous, they smuggle so many cars into the country through Benin republic, customs officers cannot ascertain in details the number of vehicles imported into the country everyday. This is because of staff strength, risk involved and low Morale etc

Thirdly Customs have tried as much as possible to educate the public on the powers the wield and the need for owners of vehicle to verify the authenticity of the vehicle in their possession. They have emphasized also the penalty of defaulters.

Also the law back that vehicle above 25 yrs shouldn't be imported, so if you vehicle after 5 years falls into that category most officers will not bother to know the status of your car duty payment. Also a car that is above five years of usage and where it been driven determines if it will be profiled or not. Example driving a neat venza in the Highway will definitely attract officers because of the year of manufacture and the place is driven, but driving same in Lagos city won't except a tip off.

well in Nigeria you are required to take along all necessary documentations because at the point of car registration most of these documentation are not required. The customs have been proposing to Government to mandate FRSC to make it mandatory for customs papers, to be presented before licensing and vehicle registration but till now... SO officers resort to stop and search.

The vehicle was simply smuggled through Benin republic, the border is so free, you can smuggle a human being through it. A particular African leader comes to mind...

i see and i know thats customs have the right to stop and search

i thought nigeria has the same system, like UK or my native zimbabwe whereby, to get the car registered, you must have all papers of importation etc and once the car has been registered by the government central registration office, you get your plate number no customs officer will stop you to ask for customs paper etc unless, there is an investigation of the stopped car started by custom office or central registration office whereby there are specifically looking for the car

whereas from what am gathering here investigation starts from the road side after being stopped and asked for paper like the import clearance duty etc, of which the car would have been sold 5 times from the time of importation.

having said, i now understand how its works, yes your borders are not that tight but also the laws needs to changed to stop harassment of innocent drivers

like here in UK the log book aka the vehicles certificate show the number of previous owners, meaning if the car was imported from america the person/business who imported it dealt with vehicles registration, the current shouldnt be asked importation and duty papers.

the system would work like something like, customs officer stop the car (suspicion one) ask for vehicle registration book, check vin number both on paper and car. checks government registration office when was car registered and if his office have the dates of importation of the vehicle, if anything doesnt add then the car can be impounded for further investigstion

the central registration is also a very big part of the whole smuggling thing and some buyers are just victim of the corrupt system

anyway thanks for educating ne

2 Likes

Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by sooperrescue(m): 6:47am On Oct 17, 2018
ZIMDRILL:

i see and i know thats customs have the right to stop and search

i thought nigeria has the same system, like UK or my native zimbabwe whereby, to get the car registered, you must have all papers of importation etc and once the car has been registered by the government central registration office, you get your plate number no customs officer will stop you to ask for customs paper etc unless, there is an investigation of the stopped car started by custom office or central registration office whereby there are specifically looking for the car

whereas from what am gathering here investigation starts from the road side after being stopped and asked for paper like the import clearance duty etc, of which the car would have been sold 5 times from the time of importation.

having said, i now understand how its works, yes your borders are not that tight but also the laws needs to changed to stop harassment of innocent drivers

like here in UK the log book aka the vehicles certificate show the number of previous owners, meaning if the car was imported from america the person/business who imported it dealt with vehicles registration, the current shouldnt be asked importation and duty papers.

the system would work like something like, customs officer stop the car (suspicion one) ask for vehicle registration book, check vin number both on paper and car. checks government registration office when was car registered and if his office have the dates of importation of the vehicle, if anything doesnt add then the car can be impounded for further investigstion

the central registration is also a very big part of the whole smuggling thing and some buyers are just victim of the corrupt system

anyway thanks for educating ne

You have raised serious posers. The customs documents are the only documents used for registration of the car. The government is lazy else by law, the Nigerian customs should be at the licensing office so that they can verify the authenticity of the documents that was presented by the owner of the car. Motor vehicle administration is a State matter and if the authenticity of my car documents issued by Lagos State is being questioned by the customs, then we have a big problem here. And I also believe that the logistics involved deploying Customs on the highway is very high than if the government deploys Custom officers to licensing offices. The last reason is the impunity that comes from the fact that the Customs officers that allowed those vehicles into the country are not dealt with hence the problem will continue.

1 Like

Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:07pm On Oct 17, 2018
sooperrescue:

You have raised serious posers. The customs documents are the only documents used for registration of the car. The government is lazy else by law, the Nigerian customs should be at the licensing office so that they can verify the authenticity of the documents that was presented by the owner of the car. Motor vehicle administration is a State matter and if the authenticity of my car documents issued by Lagos State is being questioned by the customs, then we have a big problem here. And I also believe that the logistics involved deploying Customs on the highway is very high than if the government deploys Custom officers to licensing offices. The last reason is the impunity that comes from the fact that the Customs officers that allowed those vehicles into the country are not dealt with hence the problem will continue.

yap

you have seen my thoughts to say if the car has been registered already then its nolonger the duty of the customs officer to ask for customs papers, but the customs office and the vehicle registration office should investigate each other if the car in question has phonny papers from either of the office, unfortunately car might be impounded. But the customs officer can not random stop cars at road side thats should be the duty of the police or the vehichle registration office

2 Likes

Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by Contumely: 6:47pm On Oct 17, 2018
stevalos555:

Thanks
Could you divulge more ?
Again, are you saying 35& of price of car is paid as duty?
Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by omonla10(m): 8:35am On Oct 18, 2018
Contumely:

Could you divulge more ?
Again, are you saying 35& of price of car is paid as duty?
Cc stevalos555
Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by TRYGO(m): 8:44pm On Oct 18, 2018
I experienced exactly what you cited on Sunday.
The customs guys at OWO at Ireti unit, Ondo state, stopped us, while I was delivering a Nissan Xterra to a client in Abuja.
They alleged that our papers were faked, and they needed to impound the vehicle.
We pleaded, but they refused.
We were asked to pay #500k.
Finally, we settled for #200k, before they could allow us to leave, after delaying us for 3hrs.
These guys are syndicates.
They don't collect cash.
They have someone somewhere, that you make transfers to. Its only when they get an alert, that they'd allow you to leave.
That's how rotten those guys are.
The funny thing is that, the papers, where presented to us as genuine, by the dealer/agents.
During our interrogation by the custom's guys, they insisted they must speak with the dealer, and that the dealer must acknowledged FIRST, that the vehicle was a land smuggled vehicle.
During the conversations, the dealer still refused to admit.
That's how wicked some dealers are in Nigeria.

Regards,
Joseph
08066643532(call/WhatsApp)
DW Nig Ltd
www.dxta.net.ng

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by obekediamondfuto(m): 9:28pm On Oct 18, 2018
TRYGO:
I experienced exactly what you cited on Sunday.
The customs guys at OWO at Ireti unit, Ondo state, stopped us, while I was delivering a Nissan Xterra to a client in Abuja.
They alleged that our papers were faked, and they needed to impound the vehicle.
We pleaded, but they refused.
We were asked to pay #500k.
Finally, we settled for #200k, before they could allow us to leave, after delaying us for 3hrs.
These guys are syndicates.
They don't collect cash.
They have someone somewhere, that you make transfers to. Its only when they get an alert, that they'd allow you to leave.
That's how rotten those guys are.
The funny thing is that, the papers, where presented to us as genuine, by the dealer/agents.
During our interrogation by the custom's guys, they insisted they must speak with the dealer, and that the dealer must acknowledged FIRST, that the vehicle was a land smuggled vehicle.
During the conversations, the dealer still refused to admit.
That's how wicked some dealers are in Nigeria.

Regards,
Joseph
08066643532(call/WhatsApp)
DW Nig Ltd
www.dxta.net.ng

from the duty amount paid, they know what they need to know most times.

buyer beware of all these pallies that influence valuation officer mood....

if that car did not even have duty @ all.... u would have coughed out the 500k

1 Like

Re: Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers by Nobody: 10:25pm On Oct 18, 2018
Please house, how much would it cost to clear a 2008 Honda Accord? Don't wanna underpay government o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Honda Accord Consumes Too Much Fuel / 8 Japanese Automakers And Their First Cars (photos) / 4 Top Cars In 2018 That Will Give You The Assurance You Need

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 162
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.