Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,245 members, 7,807,830 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:10 PM

What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? (26044 Views)

Choosing Between Travelling To UK Or Australia! / In Response To " Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein" / Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Anaskie(m): 12:38pm On Sep 20, 2018
CoCoLav, help a brother out.
Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by newsnjobs(m): 12:38pm On Sep 20, 2018
Stay back and do some good business with that money.

Or rather invest the money while gainfully employ.

Check my signature for some Lucrative jobs in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by lawrence35(m): 12:39pm On Sep 20, 2018
Save your money, work for any law firm, even for free to gain experience, in few months, open yours, this will depend on what law you are into

2 Likes

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by sweerychick(f): 12:39pm On Sep 20, 2018
I don't think it's a good idea migrating with only your law, remember those above countries are a million miles ahead of Nigeria, so don't expect them to regard your degree, especially from Nigeria. Unless you can do a postgraduate program their that can qualify for something better in those countries.. if you are a female like me, you can go for postgraduate study in Canada preferably..

2 Likes

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Edonojie007(m): 12:41pm On Sep 20, 2018
But Wait O...Do You Really Think They Make Use Of Nigerian Law There,established By Corrupt Lawmakers.
Or Else You Have A Different Plan Outside The Law You Studied Here In Nigeria.
Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Alvin007: 12:43pm On Sep 20, 2018
My brother...I can really feel your pain...I’d advise you put that 2m into some local business as suggested above..secondly, attach yourself to a chamber, in other to have some litigation or property, etc experience. Mind you, the pay may be meager, but the time might be worth your while. After some years of experience, you can aspire towards greater heights...Switching career might be really hard..I’m speaking from experience.
Try to consider the following before switching career; Your age, location, interest, etc. Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by TWservices: 12:45pm On Sep 20, 2018
Pass your masters with distinction and teach in the law faculty. From there you may write their qualifying exams to practice law in these countries.

3 Likes

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by tempex88(m): 12:45pm On Sep 20, 2018
Customer care
Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by shine12: 12:46pm On Sep 20, 2018
Try and check if your law degree is recognised and qualifies you to write a state bar exam.

Law practice in the states is lucrative and challenging as you'll be competing with Juris Doctor(JD) graduates of George Washington & Georgetown law schools etc.

But there are also many law graduates from other mediocre universities as well with less bar exam pass rate.

You can choose to work for a top law firm (no easy feat due to your background of Nigerian law education but possible), medium level firm, property attorney firms (huge field).

I wish you all the best.

2 Likes

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Nobody: 12:52pm On Sep 20, 2018
ERONX:
I'm a legal attorney in New York... And the legal market in the U.S is quite lucrative and competitive, 2 million naira won't get u anywhere... You need something huge financially, you can apply for your masters in any cheap university and also enroll for the American Bar Exams.
Op for ur own good listen to this man & follow up..

1 Like

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by MollyBank: 12:57pm On Sep 20, 2018
Surely you will not be a lawyer in Canada, without going through their law school.

You may end up dumping your law certificate like most people do even in Nigeria and pick up another hustle.

5 Likes

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Sep 20, 2018
sweerychick:
I don't think it's a good idea migrating with only your law, remember those above countries are a million miles ahead of Nigeria, so don't expect them to regard your degree, especially from Nigeria. Unless you can do a postgraduate program their that can qualify for something better in those countries.. if you are a female like me, you can go for postgraduate study in Canada preferably..
--- If you were a female---
Are you trynna say only females go for postgraduate study ??

2 Likes

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by chydon22: 1:13pm On Sep 20, 2018
Hi, my name is Jay currently based in dc usa.
I studied mech engine back in naija with CGPA 4.02. I came to state for my masters degree. After msc, i stayed back, mind u im a permenent resident. With experience i have here in state, i wud advice u to stay back in naija and start somtin wt d 2m while u pursue and advance your career, coming to state with student visa/f1 and buget of 2m naira without back up would frustrate u. Dont hope of gaining full employment after msc bc no firm would file work permit base on your course. If u wish of staying back after msc, think of starting afresh, think of health related courses, a lot of hospitals and nursing homes would file work permit provided u are willing to dance to their condition.
Thanks
Betterchoice:
This section has been very helpful.

I am a young lawyer and on the verge of rounding off my NYSC.

I have been thinking of how to secure a good future hence have been considering migrating to Canada or the USA.

Law is not a STEM course and switching career may not be easy at all.

I am wondering if there are opportunities for Lawyers in Canada or the USA (or even New Zealand, Australia.)

I am looking at migrating via Masters degree --- that''s if I can gain a full or partial scholarship with 3.9 CGPA on a 5 point scale or migrating through Canadian FSW.

Or do I just stay back in Nigeria?

I can raise 2 million naira.

Suggestions needed please. I am tired. Seriously tired because the future looks bleak.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Beowulf(m): 1:14pm On Sep 20, 2018
OP, my advice to you would be to first get a job in a top law firm in Nigeria and get some experience under your belt. I will recommend that you spend at least 3 years in such a law firm before thinking of proceeding to LLM. I will speak to the US and UK being two jurisdictions I have some experience in.

First, your chances of securing a legal role even after getting some experience in Nigeria is very slim unless you did a JD program. An LLM program isn't what it used to be and it is terribly expensive. However, with decent experience coupled with an LLM from the top US schools you can get into some Development Finance Institutions. Getting a job in a US law firm is almost an impossible feat even if you have New York Bar qualifications. I know a bunch of friends that recently graduated from Ivy League universities and couldn't land any law firm gig even with New York Bar qualifications.

However, you have more chances in the UK but doing an LLM there is not only expensive but it does not get you through the door either. They do not generally regard foreign experience but recently they have started regarding Nigerian law experience especially in transactional practice. However, for you to convince them, not only must you have a very good LLM, you must also have a strong transactional experience and then you have to pray and hope.

Trust me there is no shortcut to it. I can tell you from experience but one of the greatest disservice you would do to yourself is to rush off to LLM without experience.

Ps: Don't travel for studies without enough funds otherwise the suffering of Job will have nothing on what you will go through. Again, I am telling you from experience.

All the best and may God guide you

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by frankIzuchukwu(m): 1:21pm On Sep 20, 2018
if you have a good contact just leave this shit hole country, do you know how many lawyers Nigeria university produce in a year!

3 Likes

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by vankaid: 1:30pm On Sep 20, 2018
chydon22:
Hi, my name is Jay currently based in dc usa.
I studied mech engine back in naija with CGPA 4.02. I came to state for my masters degree. After msc, i stayed back, mind u im a permenent resident. With experience i have here in state, i wud advice u to stay back in naija and start somtin wt d 2m while u pursue and advance your career, coming to state with student visa/f1 and buget of 2m naira without back up would frustrate u. Dont hope of gaining full employment after msc bc no firm would file work permit base on your course. If u wish of staying back after msc, think of starting afresh, think of health related courses, a lot of hospitals and nursing homes would file work permit provided u are willing to dance to their condition.
Thanks
Wonderful!!!
How did you manage to get 4.02 CGPA, resident permit and even get an admission for master's degree in the "state" with your bad grammar and woeful writing skill?
While English is not everything, one of these feats must surely require some sort of English proficiency demonstration.
So tell me, are you truly in "state" or are you just another UNIZIK or ESUT Mechanical Engineering student battling with O.D.E in second year but hoping to work in the US in the future.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by id4sho(m): 1:31pm On Sep 20, 2018
Betterchoice:

I have been thinking of how to secure a good future hence have been considering migrating to Canada or the USA.

I am wondering if there are opportunities for Lawyers in Canada or the USA (or even New Zealand, Australia.)

I am looking at migrating via Masters degree --- that''s if I can gain a full or partial scholarship with 3.9 CGPA on a 5 point scale or migrating through Canadian FSW.

Suggestions needed please. I am tired. Seriously tired because the future looks bleak.

Use that cash and buy a legit level 9 high paying federal government job. you need to think fast
my 2cents.

2 Likes

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Grupo(m): 1:42pm On Sep 20, 2018
id4sho:

Use that cash and buy a legit level 9 high paying federal government job. you need to think fast
my 2cents.

Lol. Where can I buy such jobs.

1 Like

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by ogalawyer(m): 1:44pm On Sep 20, 2018
benben1000:
Law is the worst degree one can ever get especially in Nigeria and Africa. All of my lawyer friends regret ever getting this degree. They are one of the most hungry people in Nigeria...
Not true bro.. Don't generalize please.. Many lawyers are thriving in the country, including young ones.. What's required is searching for the right opportunities, patience and good practice. Besides, lawyers not doing well is a microcosm of the society we find ourselves. What sector is actually doing well in this country?

10 Likes

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Venerable612(m): 1:48pm On Sep 20, 2018
benben1000:
Law is the worst degree one can ever get especially in Nigeria and Africa. All of my lawyer friends regret ever getting this degree. They are one of the most hungry people in Nigeria...

Lol... bros kilode!!!!

1 Like

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by time1234: 1:52pm On Sep 20, 2018
vankaid:

Wonderful!!!
How did you manage to get 4.02 CGPA, resident permit and even get an admission for master's degree in the "state" with your bad grammar and woeful writing skill?
While English is not everything, one of these feats must surely require some sort of English proficiency demonstration.
So tell me, are you truly in "state" or are you just another UNIZIK or ESUT Mechanical Engineering student battling with O.D.E in second year but hoping to work in the US in the future.
Keep hating bitch .....be in Nigeria and remain poor ....whether you like it or not,you sound like a frustrated broke dude looking for where to pour his anger.....tp yourself to hell

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by habayinc(m): 1:53pm On Sep 20, 2018
Window washer or plate cleaner
Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by id4sho(m): 1:55pm On Sep 20, 2018
Grupo:

Lol. Where can I buy such jobs.
Get a Contact at federal secretariat Abuja or One of newbies who just secured a job 2017 or this year or one who works at office of head of service to tell you or ask his colleagues. The minimum you can pay is 700k and it depends on the salary scale of the job.

if you know, you know.

2 Likes

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by InvertedHammer: 1:56pm On Sep 20, 2018
Betterchoice:

/
Who says that you must practice law? There are many attorneys who are not practicing law and they are living well.

The legal education has equipped you with some experience in other endeavours you may find yourself.

//

3 Likes

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Venerable612(m): 1:56pm On Sep 20, 2018
Intvt:

A new graduate without any experience should open a law firm?

You couldn't have responded any better

Back to the matter:

I'd advice you to migrate to Canada, for the following reasons:
- migration is easy
- you have the opportunity to study and work. You need to work because 2m is almost equal to nothing
- you can easily 'balance well' if you sit for their bar exam or whatever they call it (equivalent of law school in Nigeria), since you already have LL.b. Once you qualify, you'll be permitted to work as an attorney. If you're serious, I think you can finish it within one year. But the worst case scenario should be two years.

Whether Canada or not, my dear brother, make sure you leave Nigeria

My 2Cents

I understand your choice of Canada for him; they have a relatively mild immigration policy, compared to other developed societies.

But there is a huge hurdle for him if he wants to practice as a lawyer in Canada. Couple of my friends we graduated together have tried moving across from the Uk but their bar requirements is going to take him nothing less than 1yr 6 months - if he is very smart (usually takes 2 years plus the classes) Cos he will need to do some courses before proceeding to write their bar finals.

Plus, it is super expensive!

The Uk would have been his best option (through a masters degree) - Cos he only needs to write a QLTS if he is a qualified Lawyer in a common law jurisdiction; and it’s not really expensive roughly 4K pounds if I am not mistaken. But the immigration rules are so unfavourable and he will MOST likely not get a sponsor for staying and the uk is so strict with pushing people away after studies.

On a bright side - he seems really driven. Plus the grace factor can work for him anywhere he decides to go.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by condomuser: 2:05pm On Sep 20, 2018
Join your fellow charge and bail lawyers in naija.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Sep 20, 2018
condomuser:
Join your fellow charge and bail lawyers in naija.

Haba Bros angry
Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by gbollykore: 2:32pm On Sep 20, 2018
Relocating to the USA will be very challenging initially. You will have to be humble and start from the scratch ( maybe do odd jobs to scale through)
If care is not taking you may even not get to become a lawyer due to struggling to survive
Suggestions may come for you to switch carriers into other jobs( particularly health care jobs)
However if you can endure and manage to become a lawyer in the USA you should do fine. It's a lucrative and honorable job in the USA
You may have to go back to law school in some states for another 3years. But in some states I think you just have to study ( hard) to pass the board exam
I hope this helps. Good luck!
( Nigerian property broker in Illinois)

4 Likes

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by Quaco(m): 2:39pm On Sep 20, 2018
Apart from the United States practicing law after an LLM degree in the countries you've outlined is not straight.

Even in the US it will depend on your programme, some programmes allow you to take bar courses so you can take the bar exams.

You can also further your studies with a PhD and become apart of the faculty as an assistant professor.

1 Like

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by uwajeh(m): 2:44pm On Sep 20, 2018
Since you had to ask the question, I'm not really sure you studied law because you want to make a career out of it so it's a bit difficult to answer your question.

I would advise that you take some time out to figure out what you really want to do with your law degree. To make it in any of those jurisdictions you mentioned you have to identify an area of law that interests you and become really good at it.

Immigration law should be a big deal in Australia since they have really tight borders and those who want to immigrate would need the services of immigration lawyers.

Corporate law is very lucrative in America but the way corporate law is evolving there you'll either have to have a numerate background or have a pretty good understanding of financial instruments such as derivatives, credit default swaps e.t.c.

As others have pointed out N2million won't do you much good in either of those jurisdictions.

It appears you have a desire to make money pretty fast so I would personally suggest that you use your N2million to get an MBA at Lagos Business School or procure a Masters degree in law with a bias for finance such as International economic Law, International Finance Law, International Commercial Law or something of that nature. This would give you a good footing in the world of finance and you can take off from there.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by naijjaman(m): 2:51pm On Sep 20, 2018
Betterchoice:

Ironically, I was in the same situation many years ago after graduation. Like you, I was worried that I may not make it in Nigeria and my future was really bleak. I was given all kinds of advice. I was told to stay in Naija and slug it out but I refused. I followed my instinct and traveled out. That's one of the best decisions I have made in my life, actually. The truth is that we are all driven differently but one thing I know is that you should set goals and work hard to accomplish them.

If you think traveling out is best for you, take a leap because there is no success without venture. Based on experience, you can't do well in US if you don't have family members who are ready to support you. Good Luck

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? by wemmyklein: 2:52pm On Sep 20, 2018
Your number one problem will be your accent, then your degree is from Nigeria.
No judge want to listen to you when you have a thick accent that will be difficult for him or her to understand.
Nobody want to hire you to represent them on a case, I am talking from experience.
The only thing most foreign people with a law degree do is to become an IMMIGRATION LAWYER.

My Experience:
I went to court to dispute a ticket giving to me by a cop. When they called my name which was difficult for the person calling it I knew I am in trouble,then as soon as I open my mouth to talk the judge ordered everybody in the room to keep quite and said we have someone with accent here. I didn't even talk for 2mins he just told me to go and pay the damn ticket..

2nd experience:
A friend of mine lost a case because she hired a Nigerian man to represent her in court.
Accent!Accent!Accent!
Most of our guys here with law degree from Nigeria are mostly into immigration cases.

Think about it.

14 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"Africans In Diaspora Are Jealous Of Each Other" - U.S Lady Cries Out / Remilekun Toyosi: Family Demands Justice Over Death Of Nigerian Aboard Egyptair / Nigerian Pilgrim Returns $80,000 To Owner In Saudi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.