Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,893 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:42 AM

Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? (1772 Views)

Only The Ooni Of Ife Can Inherit The Late Ooni’s Widows Says Tradition(pictures) / Adedamola Aderemi, Late Ooni Of Ife’s Grandson Tipped To Become King (pics) / Wives Of Late Ooni Of Ife At Burial Ceremony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? by DonOsaz: 2:59pm On Jul 06, 2010
Guys, I am so bothered about the name to give my coming baby. Although, I haven't confirmed if it will be a girl yet, but I will love it to be a girl. I lost my daughter in April, she died of heart failure, she was 1 year and 1 month. She's had the heart condition since she was 2 weeks. Until she passed on, the doctors at Lasuth never told us she had it, we were still carrying out tests when she passed on. then the doctors concluded that it was an heart failure. I love my daughter so much, and I believe she isn't dead, and will come back someday, even if I dont believe in re-carnation. i will like to know if it a taboo to name any of my daughter after the late one. Will it be wrong? Pls, help me. I cant seem to get her memory out of my head. I love her so much. she was so pretty. Pls help !@#$@@
Re: Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? by dominique(f): 3:20pm On Jul 06, 2010
first sorry about your loss i hope the child bring you unparalleled joy. i personally don't see anything wrong in naming your new child after the deceased, it's more of a remembrance than re-incarnation, but it may bring back a lot of memories. however, your spouse's opinion is the most important in this situation. is she also willing to name the child after her? wishing your wife a safe delivery.
Re: Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? by DonOsaz: 3:25pm On Jul 06, 2010
We have wonderful memories about her, so I know my wife will not mind naming any of our daughters after her. But anyway, I will still discuss it with her. I want to remain anonimous here, if not I would have attached her pix here. She was quite beautiful and full of life. We miss her so much,
Re: Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? by mutter(f): 9:25pm On Jul 06, 2010
What a loss! She is now at home with the Lord your little daughter. I think the first Poster said it all.
What I would add is how this child would feel knowing she was named after her late sister?
For that reason you might consider not doing it because she might live in the shadow of that name. You know the child you had was so special and no other child can replace her. The joy of this baby will bring happiness into your life.
Re: Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? by makajibbz(m): 10:24pm On Jul 06, 2010
If you feel it's not a problem, it's really your choice,you're the man
Goodluck!!!
Re: Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? by meyri: 7:52am On Jul 07, 2010
My condolences on your loss.That something you have to decide on a personal level. You and your spouse decision.
Personally, I cannot name my child after his/her late sibling. It too close. Each child is unique, special, and irreplaceable. And  I fear that my child will try to live vicariously through her late sibling. I also would not be able to properly move on because it will like I had my deceased child all over again.
Much blessing on your new child.
Re: Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? by anitabest(f): 10:43am On Jul 07, 2010
oooooooo sorry for the loss, but there is no need naming the baby after the dead one ok. you can find a good name for the child.
Re: Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? by AndreUweh(m): 11:03pm On Jul 08, 2010
You can name the child when born---NDIDI.
Re: Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? by makajibbz(m): 11:17pm On Jul 08, 2010
Andre Uweh:

He didnt ask for suggestions on a new name,he's the father,
Re: Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? by AndreUweh(m): 11:47pm On Jul 08, 2010
makajibbz:

He didnt ask for suggestions on a new name,he's the father,
Are you his mouthpiece?.
Re: Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? by makajibbz(m): 11:50pm On Jul 08, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Are you his mouthpiece?.
Is there anything like that
Re: Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? by ice234: 1:31am On Jul 09, 2010
do u believe in supersition. pls get ur daugter another name and forget the formal
Re: Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? by udezue(m): 12:31am On Jul 12, 2010
Sorry about ur loss. If the baby is a gurl you can name her RATAMMA. I love that name. Authentic Oka-Igbo name.
Re: Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? by Nobody: 7:44am On Jul 12, 2010
Sorry to hear about your sad loss, may your little angel's soul rest in peace.

And, there's nothing wrong in naming your new baby (if she's a girl) after the child you lost. If it's a boy, you could consider the male version of your late angel's name, or it may even be unisex.

Best of luck for the future, and my condolences to your wife.
Re: Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? by bintab(f): 10:13am On Jul 12, 2010
mutter:

What a loss! She is now at home with the Lord your little daughter. I think the first Poster said it all.
What I would add is how this child would feel knowing she was named after her late sister?
For that reason you might consider not doing it because she might live in the shadow of that name. You know the child you had was so special and no other child can replace her. The joy of this baby will bring happiness into your life.
This is the advise i have for you too.I am deeply sprry for your loss.
Re: Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? by Hauwa1: 3:57pm On Jul 12, 2010
sorry for your loss. maybe you should use it as the middle name.
Re: Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? by Nobody: 7:18am On Jul 16, 2010
Firstly, I am terribly sorry for your loss.

To answer your question now, I, personally, wouldn't do it. Eventually, your new born baby will grow and there will come a time when he/she will learn the story of his/her late sister. If I was in your position, I wouldn't want to put any kind of unnecessary pressure or stress on my child, nor would I want my child to believe that there is a certain role for him/her to play. I hope this makes sense. I can definitely understand from where you are coming and why you would want to do it. You're not done mourning and you never will be. However, your new born baby is not your late daughter, therefore, she should be granted the same individualism.

My own situation is somewhat similar. My mother's elder and only sister passed away the month I was conceived. I was born with the same high and defined cheek bones, one dimple, and two distinctive birth marks on my lower back, just like my late aunty. Till this day, my uncles, my grandmother, and my mom call me "Phoebe" my aunty's name. I wasn't named after her though. I was given the name Ogugua. Although I am not named after her, and I never had the chance to meet her, I think of her every single day. She does live through me. Your late daughter will live through your upcoming child. I believe that's how God works. I hope I have been of some help. I'm praying for you every day.
Re: Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? by dominique(f): 7:44am On Jul 16, 2010
udezue:

Sorry about your loss. If the baby is a gurl you can name her RATAMMA. I love that name. Authentic Oka-Igbo name.

Andre Uweh:

did he say he was ibo or asked for ubo name suggestions? wonder why some people don't read threads before hastily replying.
Re: Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? by LadyDee1(f): 9:03pm On Jul 16, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Are you his mouthpiece?.

ROTFLMAO!!!! I love NL!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

@ poster

Please accept my sympathies, i think its a little personal and maybe should be discussed with your wife.
But personally i wouldnt name her after the late daughter,

Good luck!! smiley
Re: Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? by AndreUweh(m): 10:46pm On Jul 16, 2010
ogugua88:

Firstly, I am terribly sorry for your loss.

To answer your question now, I, personally, wouldn't do it. Eventually, your new born baby will grow and there will come a time when he/she will learn the story of his/her late sister. If I was in your position, I wouldn't want to put any kind of unnecessary pressure or stress on my child, nor would I want my child to believe that there is a certain role for him/her to play. I hope this makes sense. I can definitely understand from where you are coming and why you would want to do it. You're not done mourning and you never will be. However, your new born baby is not your late daughter, therefore, she should be granted the same individualism.

My own situation is somewhat similar. My mother's elder and only sister passed away the month I was conceived. I was born with the same high and defined cheek bones, one dimple, and two distinctive birth marks on my lower back, just like my late aunty. Till this day, my uncles, my grandmother, and my mom call me "Phoebe" my aunty's name. I wasn't named after her though. I was given the name Ogugua. Although I am not named after her, and I never had the chance to meet her, I think of her every single day. She does live through me. Your late daughter will live through your upcoming child. I believe that's how God works. I hope I have been of some help. I'm praying for you every day.
@Poster: Ogugua will also be good.
Re: Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? by AndreUweh(m): 10:50pm On Jul 16, 2010
dominique:

did he say he was IGBO or asked for IGBO name suggestions? wonder why some people do read threads before hastily replying.
you do not necessarily need to be Igbo before handing out Igbo names to your kids. What matters is the meaning of the name.
Re: Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? by whiteroses(f): 11:08pm On Jul 16, 2010
the new girl is a new day be happy i'm sure she will bring so much joy that'll erase the bad memory, i think you just miss her, what you want to do is not cool
Re: Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? by udezue(m): 5:45am On Jul 17, 2010
Dominique, hush
Re: Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? by dominique(f): 2:46pm On Jul 17, 2010
^^^ you first tongue
Re: Can I Name My New Born Baby After My Late Daughter? by udezue(m): 7:40pm On Jul 17, 2010
I can see u got ur mouth stuck n my nut sack. Keep doing what u are good @. Nwa mba nshi.

(1) (Reply)

The Wazirin Of Sokoto / Why Do Yorubas Not Care? / Igbos Are Indeed Beautiful... (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.