Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,148 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:49 AM

Osun Governorship Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring And Reporting - Politics (65) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osun Governorship Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring And Reporting (234136 Views)

Edo 2020 Governorship Election Updates, Results And Live Monitoring / Osun Governorship Rerun Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring / Ekiti 2018 Governorship Election: Live Updates & Results Monitoring (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (62) (63) (64) (65) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osun Governorship Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring And Reporting by Nobody: 2:10pm On Sep 23, 2018
Aregbesola caused all these problems & brought shame upon APC. Whichever way it goes with such close margin in a keenly contested election, my verdict is that PDP won. Buhari & the northern APC would not have expected the election at Osun to go this way. I believed the PDP with the nonchalant supports given to the Senator leaving most of the financial burden to his brother (Deji Adeleke) never thought it can be like this.

The bottom line as I said some months ago is that Aregbe has no political value apart from Nasfat & may be some part of Alimoso in Lagos. Tinubu brought him to power the first time through Court. He was brought back again by late Senator Isiaka Adeleke & Oyinlola.

His refusal to allow Demola to replace his late brother is what has become APC nightmare.

Sanwoolu or whatever his name is called can never win Jimi Agbaje in Lagos. Even if INEC declares APC winner in Osun, as far I am concerned, PDP is the winner.

One on One, Aregbe cannot win Omisore, Oyinlola & late Isiaka Adeleke even in the grave.

3 Likes

Re: Osun Governorship Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring And Reporting by unitysheart(m): 2:10pm On Sep 23, 2018
odufalut:

Too much of reading on your own without getting a Teacher to tutor can lead u into confusion... It was well said that " the cancelation of result in the affected units occurred as a result of some people trying to abscond, with this fact the INEC officer on the mandate given to him canceled its. The ball is still in the INEC court. PDP has won

Oya beg that guy wey you yab.
Re: Osun Governorship Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring And Reporting by aydelicious: 2:18pm On Sep 23, 2018
W3xy1:
The same way Buhari will loose next year insha Allah
As this election is so serious, how 2019 ,is going to be then?
Re: Osun Governorship Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring And Reporting by aremso(m): 2:21pm On Sep 23, 2018
The Independent National Electoral Commission has declared the Osun governorship election inconclusive.

INEC’s Returning Officer, Joseph Afuwape, who announced the results on Sunday afternoon, said the PDP candidate, Ademola Adeleke, polled 254,699 while Isiaka Oyetola of the All Progressives Congress had 254,345 votes.

Iyiola Omisore of the Social Democratic Party polled 128,049 votes to place a distant third.

However, Afuwape said that since the difference between the two leading parties was just 353 votes but the number of cancelled votes was 3,5498, no winner had emerged.

“Unfortunately, as the Returning Officer, it is not possible to declare any party as the winner,” he said.

Details soon…
Re: Osun Governorship Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring And Reporting by paparazzi1987(m): 2:33pm On Sep 23, 2018
Rerun election to be conducted thursday!
Re: Osun Governorship Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring And Reporting by Nobody: 2:35pm On Sep 23, 2018
aydelicious:

As this election is so serious, how 2019 ,is going to be then?

2019 election would be very easy. The Ibos will always vote in bloc as usual for party carrying IBO agenda. That was why Anambra election was not a national issue last year. In some parts of the North, they vote in bloc for the leader they have reasons to follow.

In the South West, there is duplicity of political orientations & ideologies which creates political struggle for candidates on either side of the divide. This has been on ground right from Awolowo era.

7 Likes

Re: Osun Governorship Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring And Reporting by mknigeriagreat: 2:36pm On Sep 23, 2018
Minjim:

Bookmarked

When the result is announced I will remind u

How fat you are not reminding me I'm the one reminding you. Have you forgotten our conversation? Hoes it going over there in the apc camp right now? While ganduje and Tinubu are having sleepless nights in osogbo and still loosing, saraki and others are in akwa ibom and pdp winning. The people are tired of aregbesola in the State. He brought hardship, poverty, education went down and suffering. When pdp finally wins, he will be summoned to account for how he squandered the state fund just like he summoned oyinlola. His prison term will be longer than river Niger.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osun Governorship Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring And Reporting by ejimatic: 2:53pm On Sep 23, 2018
Juliusmalema:

U lie
am i right now?i think i am
Re: Osun Governorship Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring And Reporting by ejimatic: 2:54pm On Sep 23, 2018
Juliusmalema:

U lie.
am i right? i think i am
Re: Osun Governorship Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring And Reporting by thatigboman: 3:09pm On Sep 23, 2018
Cancelled results
Orulu LG , 2 polling units. Registered voters 947
Ife south, 1 polling unit. Registered voters 502
Ife north, 1 polling unit. Registered voters 353
Osogbo, 1 polling unit. Registered voters 884
Total registered voters 3498
Re: Osun Governorship Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring And Reporting by Cul4real(m): 3:17pm On Sep 23, 2018
thatigboman:
Cancelled results
Orulu LG , 2 polling units. Registered voters 947
Ife south, 1 polling unit. Registered voters 502
Ife north, 1 polling unit. Registered voters 353
Osogbo, 1 polling unit. Registered voters 884
Total registered voters 3498

Please, when re-run take place ?
Re: Osun Governorship Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring And Reporting by eliwa47(m): 3:30pm On Sep 23, 2018
Cul4real:

I think Thursday 27th of this month.
Re: Osun Governorship Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring And Reporting by thatigboman: 3:37pm On Sep 23, 2018
Cul4real:

INEC has announced thur 27 Sept for d rerun
Re: Osun Governorship Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring And Reporting by Minjim: 5:12pm On Sep 23, 2018
mknigeriagreat:

How fat you are not reminding me I'm the one reminding you. Have you forgotten our conversation? Hoes it going over there in the apc camp right now? While ganduje and Tinubu are having sleepless nights in osogbo and still loosing, saraki and others are in akwa ibom and pdp winning. The people are tired of aregbesola in the State. He brought hardship, poverty, education went down and suffering. When pdp finally wins, he will be summoned to account for how he squandered the state fund just like he summoned oyinlola. His prison term will be longer than river Niger.

Dont count ur chicks b4 they hatch.

it's never over until it's over
Re: Osun Governorship Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring And Reporting by mknigeriagreat: 7:12pm On Sep 23, 2018
Minjim:

Dont count ur chicks b4 they hatch.

it's never over until it's over

Lol. grin grin grin. Is it your chicks? Is it your count? In your church mind you know what just happened. You can't put a state in this kind of situation and still be expecting a victory for your party. His saving grace like I said was Omisore that decamped. That's 121K votes plus what Adeleke got. By now we would have forgotten any election held. But the grand master defeat awaits you guys on Thursday.
Re: Osun Governorship Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring And Reporting by shara123(m): 7:33pm On Sep 23, 2018
I expect another result to be in Abuja, as Prof. Mahmud had earlier promised that results from each polling units will be sent by card readers after conclusion of each unit to INEC stations.
Those electronic results from the INEC station should have been used to remediate those cancelled 7 units, and announce a WINNER
Re: Osun Governorship Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring And Reporting by Legalservices: 8:25am On Sep 24, 2018
aremso:

The Independent National Electoral Commission has declared the Osun governorship election inconclusive.

INEC’s Returning Officer, Joseph Afuwape, who announced the results on Sunday afternoon, said the PDP candidate, Ademola Adeleke, polled 254,699 while Isiaka Oyetola of the All Progressives Congress had 254,345 votes.

Iyiola Omisore of the Social Democratic Party polled 128,049 votes to place a distant third.

However, Afuwape said that since the difference between the two leading parties was just 353 votes but the number of cancelled votes was 3,5498, no winner had emerged.

“Unfortunately, as the Returning Officer, it is not possible to declare any party as the winner,” he said.

Details soon…

OSUN ELECTIONS AND THE LAW.

I will get straight to the point.

Have you seen the Press Statement issued by INEC?

INEC did not declare elections inconclusive in Osun State because of invalid and/or cancelled votes. Read this again. In short, let me repeat it: INEC did not declare elections inconclusive in Osun State because of invalid and/or cancelled votes.

Therefore, any legal analysis you read that draws it's premise from the fact that INEC declared elections inconclusive because of invalid or cancelled votes is misleading and non sequitur.

I'm writing this because a lot of persons have asked me what the true legal position is on the issue. If you are interested in the true legal position, I will do my best to lay it out here very briefly. But if you are interested in the partisan and sentimental positions, I'm sorry I can't help you with that.

I have looked at the statement issued by INEC and the reasons for declaring the election inconclusive contained therein and I have also looked at the Electoral Act and the Constitution.

According to the Constitution a candidate must score the highest votes at the election to be declared winner. And that same Constitution states categorically that another law, the Electoral Act, must be followed when it comes to elections and the electoral processes.

The Electoral Act defined instances where final election result will not be declared until there is another election or supplementary election.

According to Section 26 of the Electoral Act an election can be postponed or shifted for security reasons and other emergencies. Section 53 also allows INEC to postpone elections if there is over voting in a polling unit.

In both scenarios captured by the Act, the number of registered voters must be such that it can change the outcome of an election. This is the position of the law.

Now, the pertinent question is that, is the reason (s) given by INEC for declaring the election inclusive in tandem with sections 26 and 53 of the Electoral Act? Let's see these reasons:

1. In Osogho LGA, voting did not take place in 1 polling unit due to security reasons; 884 voters where affected. Note that the number of these votes can change the outcome of the elections since PDP is leading with just 353 votes.

Also in Orulu LGA, elections did not hold in 3 units due to disruptions; 947 voters were prevented from voting. Section 26 of the Electoral Act, right there.

2. In Ife North LGA, INEC stated that there was over voting in 1 polling unit; 353 voters were affected. This is the exact vote difference between the two top contenders; enough to swing the pendulum of the elections. Section 53 of the Electoral Act right there.

3. In Ife South LGA, INEC stated that there was malfunction of SCR in 2 polling units and 1314 voters were affected. This number is indeed capable to swing the outcome of the elections.

However, this reason is alien to the Electoral Act. Malfunctioning of SCR is not captured under sections 26 and 53 of the Act. Elections cannot be declared inconclusive because card readers failed to function. There is nothing in the law that says elections can't go on without card readers.

In any case, as you have seen, the reasons given by INEC (apart from one) are legally sufficient to declare an election inconclusive. Whether they gave these reasons sincerely or otherwise is not within the purview of this write up. I don't want to mix law with speculation.

So the next time you see a long analysis about how INEC declared the Osun elections inconclusive because of invalid or cancelled votes, just know that someone is trying to mislead you. All those beautiful legal analysis comes to nothing if it is trying to prove that INEC is wrong for declaring elections inconclusive because of CANCELLED VOTES.

May God save Nigeria and Nigerians.

(FBI) is a Legal Practitioner and writes from Abuj

3 Likes

Re: Osun Governorship Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring And Reporting by engineerboat(m): 10:46pm On Sep 24, 2018
shara123:
I expect another result to be in Abuja, as Prof. Mahmud had earlier promised that results from each polling units will be sent by card readers after conclusion of each unit to INEC stations.
Those electronic results from the INEC station should have been used to remediate those cancelled 7 units, and announce a WINNER

True but its very funny the osogbo EO said the polling unit was cancelled because the PO absconded with the Card reader

Very funny
Re: Osun Governorship Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring And Reporting by 77up(m): 10:07am On Sep 27, 2018
masterplan303:

Bro you still never reply me. How market? gringringrin
I 'll reply you soon
Re: Osun Governorship Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring And Reporting by flemzyjoe(m): 12:47pm On Sep 27, 2018
Adeleke cries out, reveals what is happening in state right now
read more https://klassic.com.ng/adeleke-cries-out-reveals-what-is-happening-in-state-right-now.html
Re: Osun Governorship Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring And Reporting by flemzyjoe(m): 1:42pm On Sep 27, 2018
Premium Times journalist arrested, released after pressure from PDP read more https://klassic.com.ng/premium-times-journalist-arrested-released-after-pressure-from-pdp.html
Re: Osun Governorship Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring And Reporting by aydelicious: 10:10am On Sep 28, 2018
Can someone tell me ,who won the yesterday's election., is it PDP or APC
Re: Osun Governorship Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring And Reporting by subcbouy: 4:18pm On Sep 28, 2018
moaning since last 18yrs.

(1) (2) (3) ... (62) (63) (64) (65) (Reply)

Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA), Kaduna Picture Thread / Nigerian Presidential Election 2023: Result Updates from INEC portal & Collation / List The Problems In Nigeria And Your Possible Solution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.