Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,973 members, 7,806,828 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:46 AM

Adebayo Shittu Admits Skipping NYSC, Says He ‘deliberately Refused To Serve’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Adebayo Shittu Admits Skipping NYSC, Says He ‘deliberately Refused To Serve’ (507 Views)

Adebayo Shittu Sues NYSC, Says ''I Wasn’t Invited' / Nigerians React To APC Disqualification Of Adebayo Shittu / Adebayo Shittu Busted For Skipping NYSC, Risks Jail Term (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adebayo Shittu Admits Skipping NYSC, Says He ‘deliberately Refused To Serve’ by Thenovita: 8:34pm On Sep 21, 2018
Minister of Communication and Oyo State governorship aspirant, Adebayo Shittu has been accused of not participating in the mandatory National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) after graduating from the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) in 1978.

This was coming barely after a week Kemi Adeosun resigned as Minister of Finance following the discovery of the forgery of her National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) certificate.

Premium Times reported that Shittu completed his programme at the Law School, and was elected into the Oyo State House of Assembly. Born in 1953, he graduated in 1978 at the age of 25, and finished Law school in 1979, the same year he was elected into the house.

The NYSC Law mandated all Nigerians who have earned degrees or higher national diplomas from tertiary institutions in Nigeria and abroad (effective 1972/73 session).

Those who qualify for exemption are those who graduated after their 30th birthday, persons with national honours and those who serve in the Police Force and Nigerian Army for a period of nine months.

While reacting, Shittu insisted that he deliberately skipped NYSC, maintaining that “The constitution provides for the qualification needed for state assembly members, NYSC is not there. I didn’t need it to become a member of the state assembly, and that is already a service.”

However, lawyers who spoke with Premium Times maintained that Shittu deliberately skipping NYSC is a criminal offence.

Abdul Mahmud, Chairman of the Public Interest Lawyers League (PILL), said the Minister is a “dodger who is in breach of the law”.

According to Mahmud, the provision of Section 12 of the NYSC Act, indicates that the Minister should have presented his certificate before he was cleared for the position.

“The provision is clear. It says (you must serve) before you get any job in the federation,” Mahmud said, noting that Shittu’s “case is worse than that of Kemi Adeosun because he deliberately refused to serve”.

“If we assume as a member of the Oyo House he (Mr Shittu) served, did it not defeat objective 4 (b) stated in Section 1 (4) (b) of the NYSC Act? Members serve in states other than their own,” he said.

Mahmud called for Shittu’s immediate arrest and prosecution, saying “all positions he has held are illegal and he should return all monies he earned from those posts to government coffers”.

Source: https://thenovita.com/adebayo-shittu/

Re: Adebayo Shittu Admits Skipping NYSC, Says He ‘deliberately Refused To Serve’ by fallout87: 8:35pm On Sep 21, 2018
Isn't this the same Adebayo Shittu who was claiming Sowore was inconsequential?

This same Shittu is so arrogant that he thinks rules and law shouldn't apply to him; yet they should apply to others abi?

I don't even know why it is even shocking.

Isn't Buhari the same? We are still waiting for his WAEC certificate and will wait forever for it.

APC have proven themselves to be nothing but corruption concentrate. From theft to power abuse.. from nepotism to forgeries.... there is no corruption under the Sun which APC have not mastered!

1 Like

Re: Adebayo Shittu Admits Skipping NYSC, Says He ‘deliberately Refused To Serve’ by jamesope04(m): 8:39pm On Sep 21, 2018
This one too?
Re: Adebayo Shittu Admits Skipping NYSC, Says He ‘deliberately Refused To Serve’ by stewatt(m): 9:01pm On Sep 21, 2018
All these cant happenin the US cause there is a proper check and balance system there, Nigeria is just a business entity, everyone want to make money in ALL sectors and ALL areas
Re: Adebayo Shittu Admits Skipping NYSC, Says He ‘deliberately Refused To Serve’ by Chepos1(m): 10:51pm On Sep 21, 2018
stewatt:
All these cant happenin the US cause there is a proper check and balance system there, Nigeria is just a business entity, everyone want to make money in ALL sectors and ALL areas

How old is Nigeria and how old is US, Why always compare a child with a father?
What I kno and is certain is that if Nigeria get old as US, Nigeria will be much better and greater than US.
Re: Adebayo Shittu Admits Skipping NYSC, Says He ‘deliberately Refused To Serve’ by stewatt(m): 11:04pm On Sep 21, 2018
Chepos1:

How old is Nigeria and how old is US, Why always compare a child with a father?
What I kno and is certain is that if Nigeria get old as US, Nigeria will be much better and greater than US.

The US is even better than Nigeria when she was just 50, if the US had the opportunityNigeria has, trust me, no one can meet their economy, and i mean no one. Nigeria is a failed state and will continue to be if and only if we the citizens change out orientation and that can only happen if the Government lay good examples, i rest my pen
Re: Adebayo Shittu Admits Skipping NYSC, Says He ‘deliberately Refused To Serve’ by Marotzke(m): 1:07am On Sep 22, 2018
stewatt:

The US is even better than Nigeria when she was just 50, if the US had the opportunityNigeria has, trust me, no one can meet their economy, and i mean no one. Nigeria is a failed state and will continue to be if and only if we the citizens change out orientation and that can only happen if the Government lay good examples, i rest my pen
do you even know anything about US history?
Re: Adebayo Shittu Admits Skipping NYSC, Says He ‘deliberately Refused To Serve’ by stewatt(m): 4:59am On Sep 22, 2018
Marotzke:
do you even know anything about US history?
Do you know anything about political economy?

(1) (Reply)

Osundecides2018: We Have Discovered 4,387 Votes Removed By INEC – PDP / Lagos APC Primaries: Reps Members Endorse Sanwo-olu / Breaking: Atiku Takes Lead As Sorting Of Ballot Papers Begin At PDP Convention

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.