Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,153 members, 7,780,112 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:47 AM

Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? (33064 Views)

Should I Leave My Current Company / Lawyers In The House Please Help. Can I Leave My New Job Without Issue / Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by emperorblog(m): 12:15pm On Sep 22, 2018
my advice start your business here first before going to any where, as for ur parent weather they like itvor not u will still leave them to be on ur own. look for someone u trust to take charge of ur business. go to abroad and start working there so that when things did not go as plan u can see something to fall back to here. lrt ur parent see reason y u must leave. Nigeria aint friendly at all.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by LordAdam16: 12:15pm On Sep 22, 2018
socialmediaman:

Good. Since you’re a medical professional and your job is in U.K., from the information you provided I assume that you’ll be earning at least £35,000 before taxes. Depending on your standard of living, taxes, rent and bills etc, you may be able to save up to £5,000 annually. Note that This would be much lower if you had a stay home or student non-working wife and child. If you’re also ambitious you’ll probably see the need to enroll in more study to upgrade your income and level in the organization, and that is your introduction to debt management in form of student loans etc.

This is just a rough estimate and perhaps doesn’t give a near true picture of the reality, but I just want to give you an informed idea of what your decision parameters should be based upon. The fact that the income is much higher does not mean the whole money is all yours to save, not at all. But overall, you’ll have a much better value for your hard work.

As per making money quick and starting your own business, you need to give that time. By the end of the first year, you’ll see how much is in your bank account and you’ll realize that there’s a good reason people went there but didn’t run back quick with trailer load of money after the first year.

All the best as you make the best decision for yourself.

Your heart is in the right place and there's enough food for thought in this comment, but the numbers you're quoting aren't entirely accurate. Not all medical pros are docs and not all docs start at £35k. Even then, as a single, smart, young hustler with a plan to start a biz back in Nigeria, saving £5k from £35k is just brutal. Stay an extra train stop away, get a roommate, don't eat out often, maintain good credit; sacrifice for tomorrow.

Even if for some reason he's only able to save £5k, that's roughly equivalent to his annual Nigerian salary if he saved every kobo (and that's his after-tax income). The experience he'd gain from working within a world class work environment already makes the case more compelling. Then if he can almost start his company while on his Nigerian salary, then certainly he should be able to with his overseas savings.

In the end though, he has to run the numbers himself, with enough room to account for nasty surprises. I may be biased as I don't think Nigerian medics are valued or soundly compensated; but I don't personally know any medical professional in the UK who would come back to take a 200k+ accommodation job in Nigeria.

cc: donsiqua

-Lord
Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by Newboss(m): 12:20pm On Sep 22, 2018
Icon4s:

My brother, I have travelled abroad several times: Canada, US, UK, Dubai.
There is nothing as SURE LINK to a Job out there. Take it from someone who has lived in the US before.

Guy, if you don't have anyone who can secure a job for you over there, PLEASE STFU! angry

This is even basic common sense. angry The same way people secure sure genuine deals on rides and property abroad via people they have relationship with. angry No one cares if you've traveled to the land of the dead and come back. angry If you don't know, you simply don't know. angry

I know people who secured their job here in Nigeria and even got their Visa with the assistance of the employer. angry And yes, they're doing well. angry

3 Likes

Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by Childishbanjino(m): 12:20pm On Sep 22, 2018
donsiqua:

Iam a professional, I work in the medical field. The country is U.K. and the job pays at least 10x my current salary plus benefits.

This is Great! I advise you to take the job offer. Just don't forget your parents when you travel. All the best!
Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by SimonMagau: 12:23pm On Sep 22, 2018
tongue
Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by dododawa1: 12:23pm On Sep 22, 2018
Ask IFA,am serious
Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by pabllov53: 12:24pm On Sep 22, 2018
anonymous96:

Pls read dis- in 1986 my dad had the chance to do Msc at Oxford University but because his mom ddnt want him to go nd he had a good job den (Federal job was d holy grail den he ddnt go).. Trust me he regretted it everyday of his life. People telling u family First ain't in ur shoes.. Money isn't everything but don't make this decision based on what ur mom wants. Make it based on what is best for you
just like my dad! God knows if i have this opportunity i will be thinking of how to survive not family bullshit, family wahala heals when money dey ppl.
Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by Johnsown1(m): 12:28pm On Sep 22, 2018
Brother your case is as easy as laughing, as an igbo man, i would advice you to search for a greener pasture abroad as for your parent, you don't need to defy them, get your girlfriend, impregnant her (after all your parent need your replacement incase you close up) and go abroad.
Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by justmenoni: 12:28pm On Sep 22, 2018
However I ran into this sure link of getting a very high paid job abroad. The link is legit and very sure, all I have to do is accept and I will leave ASAP

100%SCAM

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by miqos02(m): 12:34pm On Sep 22, 2018
donsiqua:

Thank you sir
I have a great relationship with my parents but they have there fears- that I may go there and not return and worst still marrying a white woman lol
I have tried to convince them but to no avail
go for the abroad job and invite them over after a few years
Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by samuelonyewueny(m): 12:45pm On Sep 22, 2018
Johnsown1:
Brother your case is as easy as laughing, as an igbo man, i would advice you to search for a greener pasture abroad as for your parent, you don't need to defy them, get your girlfriend, impregnant her (after all your parent need your replacement incase you close up) and go abroad.
you're one brutal Igbo brother

2 Likes

Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by Heryorh: 12:45pm On Sep 22, 2018
@op...whc 'abroad'..be specific...or just d region..
Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by Nobody: 12:50pm On Sep 22, 2018
No problems come Abroad! i will personally go To Visit you in Detention centre.. grin
Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by Icon4s(m): 12:50pm On Sep 22, 2018
Newboss:

Guy, if you don't have anyone who can secure a job for you over there, PLEASE STFU! angry

This is even basic common sense. angry The same way people secure sure genuine deals on rides and property abroad via people they have relationship with. angry No one cares if you've traveled to the land of the dead and come back. angry If you don't know, you simply don't know. angry

I know people who secured their job here in Nigeria and even got their Visa with the assistance of the employer. angry And yes, they're doing well. angry

O boy, so what are you waiting for? Go and secure your own Job na.
Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by kudos4u(m): 12:51pm On Sep 22, 2018
Instead send your wife and your children there then you can now be sending your siblings one after the other.
Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Sep 22, 2018
Heryorh:
@op...whc 'abroad'..be specific...or just d region..
I wonder oo! he could mean Ghana, liberia or even Togo grin
Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by Newboss(m): 12:56pm On Sep 22, 2018
Icon4s:

O boy, so what are you waiting for? Go and secure your own Job na.

It's not worth it. angry
Earning $5000 per month in US and paying tax on that, and then paying rent is just rubbish. angry

If I get up to $9000 offer, then I'll consider. angry
Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by folamsimper: 12:57pm On Sep 22, 2018
My advise is this: if the job offer is a sure banker. Please leave Nigeria asap.

Even if you stay in Naija and succeed in implementing your business plan as envisaged by you, note that one government policy may just compromise the whole thing and your investment might be all gone.

Even though you are working with a relative high income in Nigeria, understand that there is no job security in that country. Government policy may upset your company's business tomorrow. By then what will you do? Please get out of your comfort zone and resist the attempt to limit yourself.

I was once in your shoes. I made a decision and those who gave me contrary advice are begging me to send them money. Don't forget opportunity come but once. An opportunity lost may never be regained. Forewarned is forearmed.

I beg you, omo ja danu and don't waste time jare jo.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by generationz(f): 1:03pm On Sep 22, 2018
Hopebringer:
[s][/s]
Trash
and you had to quote me to tell me that
so much for a hopebringer
Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by tintingz(m): 1:04pm On Sep 22, 2018
generationz:

if I was the one I would have just gone and begin sending mad cash to my parents when I settle down. however that's me cause I have an independent mind I don't know about how strict or uncompromising your folks are

make sure you dig dee into to reason your aren't allowed to travel out

being an only child it could be more than the fact that they love you so much , THERE COULD BE A SPIRITUAL REASON
you might think that only happens in nollywood but we can't rule out the possibility

how long did they wait before conceiving and what measures was taking for you to be conceived.

it could also be that they are scared that when you go you will marry onyeocha (white person) and refuse to come back . nothing scares African parents especially IBO's like that for their first sons.

me I don't really know how to convince people in this situation that its so juicy for my future and I might strongly regret dropping it I no go even tell anybody I will just waka.
The bolded only happen in Nollywood, there's no logical possibility.
Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by generationz(f): 1:05pm On Sep 22, 2018
TAxposer:

Africans and this spirituality of a thing..OP ,it's your life..live your dreams..we have just one life..enjoy it to the fullest

reread my right up .I gave several instances but you selected one
infact what I said about marrying a white person the op later stated

let's not deceive ourselves that African parents can be very superstitious especially when they have dipped their hands into funny things.
Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by hadura29(m): 1:05pm On Sep 22, 2018
donsiqua:
I Need Serious Advice On The Path To Tow

I am currently confused right now on what to do. I need advice.

I got this job that pays 200k+ a month plus a decent accommodation. Iam very good at my job and I have been planning on opening my own. As a matter of fact I have planned to start buying the equipments needed for the company by October. Although if everything goes as planned the company would begin operation by middle of next year. I also have the intention of combining my job and running the company(it's no big deal). However I ran into this sure link of getting a very high paid job abroad. The link is legit and very sure, all I have to do is accept and I will leave ASAP but my problem here is that my parents wokldolet me step out of the country cause I'm their only son. I needed the abroad job as it would boost my income and enable me achieve what I had planned. If I should follow my initial plan the company would run on a small scale. However, with the fund from the away job I could get enough money to go into full business.

Iam thinking of defying them and go ahead with the abroad plan. But one mind is telling me to hold onto my initial plan.

Please what do I do?

Ps I have already been offered the job abroad all I have to do is to accept it. And I don't have much time left.

I need sincere inputs
Negative comments are welcomed too

Bros move.. I don't have anything to add or subtract.
Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by generationz(f): 1:09pm On Sep 22, 2018
tintingz:
The bolded only happen in Nollywood, there's no logical possibility.

foegerrit
my mums aunty had only one son who was practically perfect

6ft 4 tall, handsome very intelligent and humble .everybody loved him . He was so smart that he came first in a national exam for the military

but he had an accident with several people and was the only one who died at 23 the peek of his life
turns out his parent 'waka' before they had him .if you know you know

2 Likes

Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by Betterchoice: 1:12pm On Sep 22, 2018
donsiqua:

Iam a professional, I work in the medical field. The country is U.K. and the job pays at least 10x my current salary plus benefits.

And you just converted the pounds to naira to arrive at the 10x?
Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by gotousa2013: 1:14pm On Sep 22, 2018
Where exactly is the abroad?
Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by Evidora27: 1:15pm On Sep 22, 2018
Godaboveall2:
Here d history of ur relationship with ur parents becomes very important. H/ever, accept d job first & try to make ur parents u/stand ev/thing just as u 've done here.
All-in-all, gdluck bros & give us d feedback.
1. Where abroad?
2. Have you gotten the abroad Job?
3. How much is the pay?

Which ever country you are going, calculate the cost of leaving over there and see what you have left. If not u will be a slave in another mans country with no savingings.
Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by beautyhound(m): 1:15pm On Sep 22, 2018
donsiqua:
I Need Serious Advice On The Path To Tow

I am currently confused right now on what to do. I need advice.

I got this job that pays 200k+ a month plus a decent accommodation. Iam very good at my job and I have been planning on opening my own. As a matter of fact I have planned to start buying the equipments needed for the company by October. Although if everything goes as planned the company would begin operation by middle of next year. I also have the intention of combining my job and running the company(it's no big deal). However I ran into this sure link of getting a very high paid job abroad. The link is legit and very sure, all I have to do is accept and I will leave ASAP but my problem here is that my parents wokldolet me step out of the country cause I'm their only son. I needed the abroad job as it would boost my income and enable me achieve what I had planned. If I should follow my initial plan the company would run on a small scale. However, with the fund from the away job I could get enough money to go into full business.

Iam thinking of defying them and go ahead with the abroad plan. But one mind is telling me to hold onto my initial plan.

Please what do I do?

Ps I have already been offered the job abroad all I have to do is to accept it. And I don't have much time left.

I need sincere inputs
Negative comments are welcomed too

ACCEPT!!! PLEASE!!!
Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by Betterchoice: 1:25pm On Sep 22, 2018
socialmediaman:

Good. Since you’re a medical professional and your job is in U.K., from the information you provided I assume that you’ll be earning at least £35,000 before taxes. Depending on your standard of living, taxes, rent and bills etc, you may be able to save up to £5,000 annually. Note that This would be much lower if you had a stay home or student non-working wife and child. If you’re also ambitious you’ll probably see the need to enroll in more study to upgrade your income and level in the organization, and that is your introduction to debt management in form of student loans etc.

This is just a rough estimate and perhaps doesn’t give a near true picture of the reality, but I just want to give you an informed idea of what your decision parameters should be based upon. The fact that the income is much higher does not mean the whole money is all yours to save, not at all. But overall, you’ll have a much better value for your hard work.

As per making money quick and starting your own business, you need to give that time. By the end of the first year, you’ll see how much is in your bank account and you’ll realize that there’s a good reason people went there but didn’t run back quick with trailer load of money after the first year.

All the best as you make the best decision for yourself.

5000 pounds annually?

Isn't that too poor?
Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by tintingz(m): 1:29pm On Sep 22, 2018
generationz:

foegerrit
my mums aunty had only one son who was practically perfect

6ft 4 tall, handsome very intelligent and humble .everybody loved him . He was so smart that he came first in a national exam for the military

but he had an accident with several people and was the only one who died at 23 the peek of his life
turns out his parent 'waka' before they had him .if you know you know
This fallacy is post hoc ergo propter hoc and appeal to ignorance.

Because he was the only one that died in the accident doesn't mean there's a spiritual cause from his parents, there are cases of a whole family died in an accident and there are cases where no one died, things happen the way it's seen, there is no proof of spiritual causing people's death. Quit being Superstitious, some people just look for some imaginary illogical reasons to satisfy thier ignorance.

You said it took them years for his parents to have him, do you mind telling what they did before they gave birth to him?

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by Deepfreezer(m): 1:31pm On Sep 22, 2018
Looks like you want to destroy your life. Thank God you said you want to open you own company. Stay back and do your business, enjoy your life with family. I understood your going abroad is to catch the experience of western life but you can still do that by travelling on summer trips for holidays.
We have been there and done that. Open up ur own company next year, run it and take some time off abroad on holiday.
Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by Ernesthugo(m): 1:37pm On Sep 22, 2018
Boss stay in Nigeria
Go there 4vacation
Regards

Would want to work with u sir.
Kindly acknowledge my request very grateful
Re: Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? by bluebird01: 1:40pm On Sep 22, 2018
yes,capital yes please dont think it twice.i know why

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Do 60 Sit-ups In 2 Minutes - SA Special Police Force Requirement (PICS) / NBA To Investigate Prof Ndifon, Baddest Lawyer, Adamawa REC, Others. / My Experience With A Random Warri Boy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.