Stats: 3,149,876 members, 7,806,518 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:44 PM

All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) (39710 Views)

Ekuke Lovers Trend / My Purebred Eskimo Gave Birth To An Ekuke Pup, Follow The Progress of The Pup / Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds (2) (3) (4)

All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by logadims: 8:54am On Sep 22, 2018
The Nigerian Shepherd also known as Ekuke: The Nigerian Shepherd (Ekuke) is a breed of medium to large-sized working dog. Although, this breed true origin is yet to be recognised, it is assumed that, the breed originated in Nigeria.

The breed’s officially recognized name is Nigerian Shepherd Dog in the English language (sometimes abbreviated as NSD ).

The breed is also known as ([Local dog]-as many will call it, Ekuke, Nkita). The Nigeria. Shepherd is a relatively a very old breed of dog, with their origin yet to be known. As part of the Herding Group, Nigeria Shepherds are working dogs used mostly by hunters and farmers, because of their strength, intelligence, trainability, and obedience.

Although, this breed has been highly neglected, it still posses powerful attribute which includes; disability assistance, search-and-rescue, police and military roles- if given the the opportunity, and even self-tutoring.

The Nigeria Shepherd is the most popular/known breed in Nigeria. It is also the oldest breed of dog in Nigeria(has been in existence before the almagamation of Nigeria) and one of the oldest dog breeds in Africa.
Other Names:
Nigerian shepherd dog
Common Nicknames:
Nkita
Ekuke
Local dog
NSD
Shepherd
Origin: Nigeria
Litter size: 6–13(some, give birth to up to 15 pups)
Characteristics:

https://360dogprof.com/all-about-the-nigeria-shepherd-dog-ekuke/

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by dbos11(m): 9:10am On Sep 22, 2018
Noted
But u forgot to add their best food which is poo

129 Likes 4 Shares

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by anukulapo: 9:52am On Sep 22, 2018
We are not ready.

Many Nigerians love breeds not dogs.

Modified
For example, it's clear enough that many Nigerians love high rated breeds. Let me call it NSD as the op did.
Imagine someone saying "poo is their favorite food".
Some don't even believe that there are friendly/non "performing" Rottweilers. As resourceful as the internet is, they can't research but choose to hold their belief that every single rott is the real deal... And the NSD is as useless as they are available, good for nothing, weak, bla bla bla

I saw a picture of a boy carrying his dead dog (said to knocked down by a vehicle) and crying. I can't help but notice how many uncompassionate posts on that thread.

There's a dog lover who wants "dogs" donated but excludes the NSD. Meanwhile, one of the most popular threads (imo) in the pet section is that of a guy who owns a NSD and keeps updating the house on the progress of the dog.

You can imagine going through a "which breed is this dog" thread... See "dog lovers" spew trash about another person's pet.
Davido have a Chihuahua to his daughter and (if I recall correctly) no poster on the first page identified the dog (I'm not saying that they don't necessarily know the breed) but imagine if it was one of the popular demand dogs, or the fine long coat "designer" dogs...

What more can I say.
My opinion though.

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by frowland(m): 10:07am On Sep 22, 2018
anukulapo:
We are not ready.

Ekuke is also a breed of dog. Don't get your point though.

OP, you definitely over exaggerated the qualities of this dog to include intelligence. Hmm.. OK.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Ofeh2(m): 11:17am On Sep 22, 2018
dbos11:
Noted

Did you give them premium dog food and they rejected it for poo?

152 Likes 5 Shares

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by AfricaNigerian: 11:40am On Sep 22, 2018
dbos11:
Noted

Not Funny... When you give them proper care, will they eat poo You guys are just washing the breed cos they're not food picky.

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by AfricaNigerian: 11:43am On Sep 22, 2018
anukulapo:
We are not ready.

grin I still don't get you grin lols
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by AfricaNigerian: 11:44am On Sep 22, 2018
Ofeh2:

Did you give them premium dog food and they rejected it for poo?
abi ooo, help me ask am ooo... Some people are just rubbishing out Nigerian Shepherd smiley

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by AfricaNigerian: 11:51am On Sep 22, 2018
frowland:

OP, you definitely over exaggerated the qualities of this dog to include intelligence. Hmm.. OK.
@bolded Aren't Nigerian Shepherds intelligent ni
Do you think hunting is as easy as you think, these dogs are good hunters and you don't expect a dull dog to be able to hunt so well that it has been adopted as the number one native hunting dog in Nigeria.

Though they're good at sniffing male ballsgrin grin
They are good guard dogs and they've been used so well to guard farms from birds, rodents etcetera.... So how come they ain't intelligent Oh!! Till Nigerian Shepherds start building drones then you'll know they're intelligent right Smh grin

153 Likes 11 Shares

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Ofeh2(m): 12:07pm On Sep 22, 2018
AfricaNigerian:
@bolded Aren't Nigerian Shepherds intelligent ni
Do you think hunting is as easy as you think, these dogs are good hunters and you don't expect a dull dog to be able to hunt so well that it has been adopted as the number one native hunting dog in Nigeria.

Though they're good at sniffing male ballsgrin grin
They are good guard dogs and they've been used so well to guard farms from birds, rodents etcetera.... So how come they ain't intelligent Oh!! Till Nigerian Shepherds start building drones then you'll know jthey're intelligent right Smh grin

Lol tell tell am o

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by dbos11(m): 12:10pm On Sep 22, 2018
AfricaNigerian:
Not Funny... When you give them proper care, will they eat poo You guys are just washing the breed cos they're not food picky.

Na u sabi oo

All i knw is dat poo is their best food grin grin

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Ofeh2(m): 12:10pm On Sep 22, 2018
You guys keep on making this dogs look like outcasts.... Btw if I have any local dog ur not using pls dash me

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by shyron(f): 12:39pm On Sep 22, 2018
well ah dunno abt yhu guys oo buh my local dogs are nt as bhad as yhu guys mk dem seem dey er lovely dogs jxt like your exotic breeds nd dey also deserve to b loved too

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Ofeh2(m): 12:41pm On Sep 22, 2018
shyron:
well ah dunno abt yhu guys oo buh my local dogs are nt as bhad as yhu guys mk dem seem dey er lovely dogs jxt like your exotic breeds nd dey also deserve to b loved too

Thank you sister... Train, feed nd love them you'll love em kiss

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by anukulapo: 6:38pm On Sep 22, 2018
frowland:

Apologies man. A lot of the things I intend to post just disappeared. Meanwhile, right now it's difficult to gather the same thought. lol

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by vincentjk(m): 7:55pm On Sep 22, 2018
Nice write up, but Oga logadims I know u don't own any ekuke sha
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Nobody: 9:51pm On Sep 22, 2018
Of you feed them well and take care of them, you will be surprised how good looking they turnout.
We used to have one back in 2005, that ekuke was very territorial and vicious, it even bit my brother in law.

Nigerians are stupid, some of them can not even afford buy the foreign dog nor to mention take good care of, but they will be yabing our ekuke native dog, they never appreciate what they have.

Some of these guys don't even have dogs of any kind but they will be talking about breeds that they can't even afford. All the know how to do is talk but to go and buy the dog they like talking about, they can not.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Nobody: 10:04pm On Sep 22, 2018
This ekuke dog is actually the native dog breed of almost all the countries of Africa. One of them is south Africa, in south Africa the call these dogs "Afrikans".

But to my surprise when I was in Malaysia, I used to see alot of ekuke dogs roaming around.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Ofeh2(m): 11:36pm On Sep 22, 2018
mhd5757:
Of you feed them well and take care of them, you will be surprised how good looking they turnout.
We used to have one back in 2005, that ekuke was very territorial and vicious, it even bit my brother in law.

Nigerians are stupid, some of them can not even afford buy the foreign dog nor to mention take good care of, but they will be yabing our ekuke native dog, they never appreciate what they have.

Some of these guys don't even have dogs of any kind but they will be talking about breeds that they can't even afford. All the know how to do is talk but to go and buy the dog they likee talking about, they can not.

Brother thank you very much for this comment

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Ishilove: 4:43am On Sep 23, 2018
logadims:
The Nigerian Shepherd also known as Ekuke: The Nigerian Shepherd (Ekuke) is a breed of medium to large-sized working dog. Although, this breed true origin is yet to be recognised, it is assumed that, the breed originated in Nigeria. The breed’s officially recognized name is Nigerian Shepherd Dog in the English language (sometimes abbreviated as NSD ). The breed is also known as ([Local dog]-as many will call it, Ekuke, Nkita). The Nigeria. Shepherd is a relatively a very old breed of dog, with their origin yet to be known. As part of the Herding Group, Nigeria Shepherds are working dogs used mostly by hunters and farmers, because of their strength, intelligence, trainability, and obedience. Although, this breed has been highly neglected, it still posses powerful attribute which includes; disability assistance, search-and-rescue, police and military roles- if given the the opportunity, and even self-tutoring. The Nigeria Shepherd is the most popular/known breed in Nigeria. It is also the oldest breed of dog in Nigeria(has been in existence before the almagamation of Nigeria) and one of the oldest dog breeds in Africa.
Other Names:
Nigerian shepherd dog
Common Nicknames:
Nkita
Ekuke
Local dog
NSD
Shepherd
Origin: Nigeria
Litter size: 6–13(some, give birth to up to 15 pups)
Characteristics:

i
You failed to add 'Bingo'

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by johnwizey: 7:38am On Sep 23, 2018
Ishilove:

You failed to add 'Bingo'
Or whiskeyyy

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by logadims: 4:19pm On Sep 23, 2018
vincentjk:
Nice write up, but Oga logadims I know u don't own any ekuke sha
lol smiley
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:34pm On Sep 23, 2018
Cute dog....

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Exwizard: 9:34pm On Sep 23, 2018
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by sotall(m): 9:35pm On Sep 23, 2018
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Benekruku(m): 9:35pm On Sep 23, 2018
The sweetest dog on Earth

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by lonelydora: 9:35pm On Sep 23, 2018
When it comes to Intelligence, that dog sabi something ooo

20 Likes

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by bedspread: 9:35pm On Sep 23, 2018
Nigerian Shepherd!!!!

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by ipobarecriminals: 9:35pm On Sep 23, 2018
cool in those good old days of BINGO b4 we dey see giant head dogs.They alert u,eat kids poo etc.

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by BabaCommander: 9:37pm On Sep 23, 2018
Nigerian Shepherd or Bingo? cheesy cheesy

Help! Ruggedman Is Dying!! :-( / Meet Crash : My Six Months Old Lovely Pet / My Cat Just Dey Live Like Queen Oooo!!! - Oyinbo Princess