Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:09 AM

All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) - Pets (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) (39735 Views)

Ekuke Lovers Trend / My Purebred Eskimo Gave Birth To An Ekuke Pup, Follow The Progress of The Pup / Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by rumenase(m): 10:33pm On Sep 24, 2018
PrecisionFx:

If u can't spot any similarity between ekuke n dingos,Then u need ur eyes plucked out.

leave that guy I no sure say e understand that word "similarity" it's just like saying a boerboel and bull mastiff don't look similar, a novice might not be able to tell the difference but the two are not the same only similar just like ekuke, dingo, basenji etc
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by dbos11(m): 10:46pm On Sep 24, 2018
umuna:

And spoilt beans!

Ur head dey there jare grin grin grin
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Lomprico2: 10:59pm On Sep 24, 2018
Ofeh2:

Okay we have heard you sir can we hear word now [s][/s]

I no block ur ear b4!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Jaideyone(m): 11:48pm On Sep 24, 2018
rumenase:

since the origin is untraceable it is safe to call it a mongrel
lol when it obviously looks 95% like the basenji?
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by rumenase(m): 4:44pm On Sep 25, 2018
Jaideyone:

will you call a saplaniac a Caucasian because they look alike? the difference is clear basenji don't bark and have curled up tails like pigs which is not so with our local dogs.
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by rumenase(m): 4:46pm On Sep 25, 2018
Jaideyone:
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Jaideyone(m): 5:13pm On Sep 25, 2018
rumenase:

will you call a saplaniac a Caucasian because they look alike? the difference is clear basenji don't bark and have curled up tails like pigs which is not so with our local dogs.
uncle our local dog is a basenji
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by rumenase(m): 5:34pm On Sep 25, 2018
Jaideyone:
very well then. you can go on believing the wrong thing.
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Baroba(m): 1:34am On Sep 26, 2018
Jaideyone:

No it's not, Basenji is a highly priced breed that originated from the Congo.. Google is your friend, no need arguing..

From wiki

While dogs that resemble the Basenji in some respects are commonplace over much of Africa, the breed's original foundation stock came from the old growth forest regions of the Congo Basin, where its structure and type were fixed by adaptation to its habitat, as well as use (primarily net hunting in extremely dense old-growth forest vegetation).

The name comes from the Lingala language of the Congo, mbwá na basɛ́nzi which means 'villager dogs'.

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Nobody: 3:18am On Sep 26, 2018
ehie:
Ekukes could be seen on the tombs of Pharohs.
They are called Basenji and are priced for thier intelligeince, silence, speed and courage. They allso tend to emotionaly attached to a single being
Although the majority of ekuke came out from the crossing of the basenji with other breeds but they are not really the same, they just look alike, but the actual name of ekuke is Afrikaans, Google it and see.
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Nobody: 3:31am On Sep 26, 2018
Jaideyone:
uncle tell us the exact name of the local dog we have here. what's the breed
Godforbid but if my current dogs happen to die, I'm going to get ekuke because the economy is very bad and ekuke dogs are cheap to maintain. Unless if I get a job, and only that, then I will get a foreign breed but if I don't then the ekuke will definitely be the one I get.
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Nobody: 3:33am On Sep 26, 2018
Jaideyone:
uncle tell us the exact name of the local dog we have here. what's the breed
It's original name is Afrikans, Google it and see.
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Nobody: 3:35am On Sep 26, 2018
Momcherry:
This is April.
She looks well fed, is she vicious?
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Jaideyone(m): 7:57am On Sep 26, 2018
Baroba:

No it's not, Basenji is a highly priced breed that originated from the Congo.. Google is your friend, no need arguing..

From wiki

While dogs that resemble the Basenji in some respects are commonplace over much of Africa, the breed's original foundation stock came from the old growth forest regions of the Congo Basin, where its structure and type were fixed by adaptation to its habitat, as well as use (primarily net hunting in extremely dense old-growth forest vegetation).

The name comes from the Lingala language of the Congo, mbwá na basɛ́nzi which means 'villager dogs'.
our local dog is a complete resemblance of the basenji except for the small differences in barking. another close relative is afrikanis or so someone mentioned there
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Jaideyone(m): 7:58am On Sep 26, 2018
mhd5757:
It's original name is Afrikans, Google it and see.
I agree with you 50%
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Momcherry(f): 12:39pm On Sep 26, 2018
mhd5757:

She looks well fed, is she vicious?

Yes she is, like I said before, she doesn't like visitors much. smiley
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Nobody: 2:04pm On Sep 26, 2018
Momcherry:

Yes she is, like I said before, she doesn't like visitors much. smiley
Just wanted to be sure, because not liking visitors could also mean running away from them.
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Momcherry(f): 2:40pm On Sep 26, 2018
mhd5757:

Just wanted to be sure, because not liking visitors could also mean running away from them.

You're right but na visitors dey run away from April o.. cheesy
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by AmaUwana(f): 5:24pm On Oct 03, 2018
Lomprico2:
u

Lies! I owned one, well fed, vaccinated, I take it to vet check up regularly but one faithful day during a walk with it, it saw shìt and dived it. grin

Our local breed are shìt eaters!! Take it or leave it.

all dogs eat poo
even english
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Lomprico2: 5:52pm On Oct 03, 2018
AmaUwana:

all dogs eat poo
even english

Ok
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Gkemz: 8:22am On Oct 04, 2018
dbos11:
Noted

But u forgot to add their best food which is poo

Every neglected dog feeds on faeces which becomes the available alternative. Deny that your expensive GSD or Rott weiller or Boerbel food and see if it will remain any faeces to be cleaned up when you visit the cage in the morning.
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jul 02, 2019
lomprico2:
I no block ur ear b4!

grin
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Desti1: 11:04am On Sep 02, 2019
please can these nsd ever grow fat and big?
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by K9blunt(f): 1:01am On Sep 04, 2019
anukulapo:
We are not ready.

Many Nigerians love breeds not dogs.

Modified
For example, it's clear enough that many Nigerians love high rated breeds. Let me call it NSD as the op did.
Imagine someone saying "poo is their favorite food".
Some don't even believe that there are friendly/non "performing" Rottweilers. As resourceful as the internet is, they can't research but choose to hold their belief that every single rott is the real deal... And the NSD is as useless as they are available, good for nothing, weak, bla bla bla

I saw a picture of a boy carrying his dead dog (said to knocked down by a vehicle) and crying. I can't help but notice how many uncompassionate posts on that thread.

There's a dog lover who wants "dogs" donated but excludes the NSD. Meanwhile, one of the most popular threads (imo) in the pet section is that of a guy who owns a NSD and keeps updating the house on the progress of the dog.

You can imagine going through a "which breed is this dog" thread... See "dog lovers" spew trash about another person's pet.
Davido have a Chihuahua to his daughter and (if I recall correctly) no poster on the first page identified the dog (I'm not saying that they don't necessarily know the breed) but imagine if it was one of the popular demand dogs, or the fine long coat "designer" dogs...

What more can I say.
My opinion though.

You just said the unadulterated truth and its saddening.

1 Like

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by shyron(f): 11:42am On Sep 05, 2019
meet my local dog
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by shyron(f): 11:49am On Sep 05, 2019
K

1 Like

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by MrEfe: 7:19pm On Apr 11, 2020
Momcherry:
I don't care about what anyone thinks about this dog breed, I love them.

When I was a little girl I lived with grandma, we had one and I loved her so much like a sister (or brother, I don't really know the sex)despite the fact that she eats poo like someone mentioned.
I shared my food with her, played with her. She followed me everywhere. Then one day grandma decided to sell her, I protested, but one day, the buyer came. An auntie took me to her house and when I returned the dog was gone : embarassed .
I wept for days and couldn't eat well because each time I'm about to eat, I'll remember her.

Fast forward to present day, I bought one month's ago for my son that had been troubling me that he wanted a puppy. No time now for English dog their wahala too much.My kids named her April. They named her after a cartoon character in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles grin. She was also born in the month of April and we all love her very much and she loves us too (except visitors smiley).

It's same for my dog. She doesn't like strangers. She does better security wise better than our German shepherd
I cross her with a German shepherd and the puppies are very fine sharing traits of both parents

1 Like

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by dblaq(m): 7:52pm On Apr 11, 2020
The Indian pariah dog, also known as the South Asian pye dog and Desi Dog, is a landrace of dog native to the Indian subcontinent. They have erect ears, a wedge-shaped head, and a curved tail. It is easily trainable and often used as a guard dog and police dog. Wikipedia
Scientific name: Canis lupus familiaris
Higher classification: Dog
Please always confirm your info

logadims:
The Nigerian Shepherd also known as Ekuke: The Nigerian Shepherd (Ekuke) is a breed of medium to large-sized working dog. Although, this breed true origin is yet to be recognised, it is assumed that, the breed originated in Nigeria.

The breed’s officially recognized name is Nigerian Shepherd Dog in the English language (sometimes abbreviated as NSD ).

The breed is also known as ([Local dog]-as many will call it, Ekuke, Nkita). The Nigeria. Shepherd is a relatively a very old breed of dog, with their origin yet to be known. As part of the Herding Group, Nigeria Shepherds are working dogs used mostly by hunters and farmers, because of their strength, intelligence, trainability, and obedience.

Although, this breed has been highly neglected, it still posses powerful attribute which includes; disability assistance, search-and-rescue, police and military roles- if given the the opportunity, and even self-tutoring.

The Nigeria Shepherd is the most popular/known breed in Nigeria. It is also the oldest breed of dog in Nigeria(has been in existence before the almagamation of Nigeria) and one of the oldest dog breeds in Africa.
Other Names:
Nigerian shepherd dog
Common Nicknames:
Nkita
Ekuke
Local dog
NSD
Shepherd
Origin: Nigeria
Litter size: 6–13(some, give birth to up to 15 pups)
Characteristics:

https://360dogprof.com/all-about-the-nigeria-shepherd-dog-ekuke/

Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by tobilavish(m): 9:26am On Apr 13, 2020
Ok
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by mymadam(m): 3:20pm On Apr 14, 2020
MrEfe:
...I cross her with a German shepherd and the puppies are very fine sharing traits of both parents

Please, are you willing to do away with some of the mentioned puppies? I'm really in need please. Thank you for your time smiley
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by freemichael: 9:43pm On Apr 14, 2020
All dogs eat poo. Google and see. But if u still doubt me, give him or her a babies pampers with poo nah.
Re: All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) by Rooneyflex: 10:31am On May 10, 2020
Momcherry:
This is April.
How old is it in the picture

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Help! Ruggedman Is Dying!! :-( / Meet Crash : My Six Months Old Lovely Pet / My Cat Just Dey Live Like Queen Oooo!!! - Oyinbo Princess

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.