Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,537 members, 7,808,970 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:14 PM

My Experience Of Being Robbed In Mile 2 Traffic - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My Experience Of Being Robbed In Mile 2 Traffic (351 Views)

Stain Lace: I Was Robbed In My House In Akwa Ibom During Lockdown (Graphic Pics) / A Man Saved From Being Robbed In Abule-Egba Lagos, Captured On CCTV / Lady Accuses Davido Of ‘ignoring Her’ While She Was Being Robbed And Harassed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Experience Of Being Robbed In Mile 2 Traffic by LeeKuanYew: 12:26pm On Sep 22, 2018
Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans -John Lennon

I got robbed in the notorious Mile 2 traffic during the heavy rain last week Thursday. I was returning from work at about 8:30pm and the tankers were responsible for the traffic congestion as usual.

It’s funny how a few minutes earlier I was pondering on sharing throw-back pictures on Instagram, making plans for dinner and reflecting on an ongoing task I needed to complete at the office the next day. All those thoughts quickly vanished when criminals armed with guns and machetes ambushed the bus conveying me and my co-passengers! The only thing that mattered then became survival.

We quickly secured the door of the bus. But we underestimated the power of machetes to shatter the glass of a vehicle into pieces, especially when in the trained hands of a determined criminal.

I once learned from a security man that when you find yourself in a robbery attack and you can tell that there’s no way out, the attackers appreciate it when you make their ‘job’ easier. So, when it seemed the criminals would eventually gain entry, (which they did), I quickly packaged the belongings I was going to use to negotiate my life in one hand while I dodged the fragments of glass falling all over me with the other hand, as the mad men wielded their machetes. It was raining heavily and passengers in other vehicles had already abandoned their cars! To make matters worse, the criminals had earlier dispossessed our driver of the ignition key. So, we were sitting ducks waiting for the worst to be over.

I thought the worst was over after about 10 minutes and most of the passengers had complied by handing over their valuables, but I guess the criminals were expecting more loot based on the quantity and their perceived ‘quality’ of passengers. That was when the one with the gun raised his pistol threatening to shoot, and by virtue of where I stood, I was right in his line of fire! Looking back, I realize I didn’t have time to say a last prayer (food for thought).

Thankfully, after more contributions, the mad men fled as mysteriously as they had appeared. They were satisfied with their take home for the night!

The question now is, why do I pay tax in a country where I can be ambushed for over 10 minutes with no security patrol to the rescue? I’m not entitled to own a gun, but the police and criminals who both have access to guns don’t seem to ever come in contact!

Sadly, my experience is not unique. The former MD of The Quadrant Company, Mr. Bolaji Okusaga a few weeks earlier tweeted about how he was also robbed in the same area! Shouldn’t the notorious Mile 2 area have security patrol vehicles due to the incessant cases of armed robbery?

Lagos State Police Command, please do something.

(1) (Reply)

Police Arrest Robber Operating In Army Uniform / Father Of 7 Teenagers Allegedly Killed Over N100 Bribe In Rivers State(photos) / 10-year-old Girl Allegedly Murders Six Months Old Baby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.