Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,321 members, 7,780,798 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:32 PM

Anthony Joshua Retains His Heavyweight Titles... - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Anthony Joshua Retains His Heavyweight Titles... (335 Views)

The Nigerian Nightmare, Kamaru Usman Retains His World Title / Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria / Anthony Joshua Regains His Heavyweight Titles! Joshua wins by unanimous decision (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anthony Joshua Retains His Heavyweight Titles... by alexy147(m): 12:30am On Sep 23, 2018
Anthony Joshua delivered a stunning finish to stop a game Alexander Povetkin and retain his world heavyweight titles at Wembley Stadium.

The IBF, WBO and WBA champion, criticised in some quarters for failing to finalise a deal with the division's other high-profile names, responded emphatically with a seventh-round stoppage of the Russian, who had never been beaten inside the distance.

After an early chess match in which Joshua suffered a bloodied nose before cutting his rival, the Briton grew in confidence and a savage right hand followed by a left hook began an onslaught which would prove telling.

Joshua, who had been suffering from flu during his preparations and had a problem with his right hand before the fight, paid tribute to his opponent.

"Povetkin is a very tough challenger, he proved that with good left hooks and counter punches," he said.

"I came in here to have fun, and give it my best. I knew he was strong to the head but weak to the body. I was just mixing it up.

"It could have been seven, maybe nine, maybe 12 rounds to get him out of there, but the ultimate aim was to be victorious.

"And I got my knockout streak back," added Joshua, who was taken to 12 rounds for the first time in his previous fight against New Zealand's Joseph Parker in Cardiff in April.

source :BBC

1 Like

Re: Anthony Joshua Retains His Heavyweight Titles... by chukxie(m): 12:33am On Sep 23, 2018
Congratulations, AJ!

1 Like

Re: Anthony Joshua Retains His Heavyweight Titles... by divinehand2003(m): 12:35am On Sep 23, 2018
Joshua is doing well at the moment

1 Like

Re: Anthony Joshua Retains His Heavyweight Titles... by cryles(m): 12:46am On Sep 23, 2018
hardwork pays

1 Like

Re: Anthony Joshua Retains His Heavyweight Titles... by Nobody: 1:53am On Sep 23, 2018
AJ carry anger of Buhari's mis-governance, back home in Nigeria, wan kill the Russian dude.

Every Nigeria is now angry by default

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Chelsea Star Player Resumes Training. / UEFA Covered Up Ramos' Failed Drug Test For 2017 UCL Final / Olympiacos Terminates Yaya Toure's Contract After Just Three Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.