Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,340 members, 7,780,899 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:33 AM

Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles (41862 Views)

Anthony Joshua Knocks Kubrat Pulev Out In The 9th Round / Dillian Whyte Vs Alexander Povetkin On Saturday August 22: Tale Of The Tape / Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by YurFatHer: 8:17am On Sep 23, 2018
oh boi
Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by greatman247(m): 8:17am On Sep 23, 2018
Man is great indeed

1 Like

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Pinkyhubb: 8:17am On Sep 23, 2018
Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Nobody: 8:18am On Sep 23, 2018
Joshua, the messi of our time

3 Likes

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by patyowr: 8:18am On Sep 23, 2018
God save the OP, I was about typing his suspension letter for not making this topic come to the front page quickly.

3 Likes

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by phoexix: 8:20am On Sep 23, 2018
Awesome victory. Congratulations Champ.

2 Likes

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Lovelife433(m): 8:20am On Sep 23, 2018
obembet:
Brtish-born Nigerian heavyweight boxer Anthony Joshua on Saturday night retained his IBF, IBO, WBO and WBA titles after a seventh round stoppage of Russian WBA mandatory challenger Alexander Povetkin at the Wembley Stadium in London.

The champion, whose both parents come from Sagamu in Ogun State, dropped Povetkin with a brutal assault in the seventh round and then floored the WBA mandatory challenger again to signal a sudden and dramatic ending to his title defence.

The win, which was watched by an estimated 80,000 fans at Wembley, has thus set the tone for a unification fight in 2019 between Joshua and the winner of the coming bout between British Tyson Fury and American Deontay Wilder, which has been set for December.

The fight had a reported £26m purse with Joshua expected to take home up to £20m while Povetkin will receive £6m.
Povetkin, 39, has thus lost his second fight on his 36th fight. His previous loss came against Vladimir Klitschko in 2013 through unanimous decision. Saturday’s loss was the first time Povetkin would be knocked out in his career.

Povetkin showed early signs of danger by making Joshua stumble in the first round with a wicked left hook before blood poured out of the nose of the champion but Joshua started to dictate the pace as the rounds went on before going on to overpower and knock Povetkin down to the canvas twice in the seventh round.

Joshua praised the Russian challenger, saying the fight was tough but he was happy to achieve his goal.
“First and foremost, everyone here in Wembley, thank you so much! Alexander Povetkin is a very tough challenger and he proved that tonight but I came in here to have fun, do what I’ve been working on in the gym and I did that. I knew he was weak to the head, it could have took seven, nine maybe 10 but all my goal tonight was to be successful,” he told Sky Sports.

“These shorter guys are very good coming through the middle but let’s see what happens now on April 13. There is a lot of pressure; I’m not going to lie to you guys. The whole country is rooting for not just me but David Price, Lawrence Okolie, Matty Askin, Luke Campbell, all of us. A few years ago maybe I wouldn’t have won that fight but that’s credit to all my coaching team.

“It’s about developing and I am in this game to win it and to learn. I’m not too fussed who wins. Good luck to both of them and may the champion bring themselves to the UK and we will have a good dust up.”

Source:
https://punchng.com/joshua-retains-titles-knocks-out-povetkin-after-seven-rounds/

lalasticlala
na wa ooh who go con help us beat dis guy now?
Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Nobody: 8:20am On Sep 23, 2018
Lolz
Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Arewa12: 8:21am On Sep 23, 2018
Proudly Afonja

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by SocialJustice: 8:22am On Sep 23, 2018
TOMMIEYIKES:
Is that not dj cuppy? angry
Monitoring spirit.

Dude should get himself a Cullinan and relocate to a more secure neighbourhood.
Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by akeentech(m): 8:22am On Sep 23, 2018
AJ is my friend
Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by AmazingELixir: 8:22am On Sep 23, 2018
grin grin grin

Pimples fine boy!
Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by iamfromlagos(f): 8:23am On Sep 23, 2018
yaaaaay! Ooooope o!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Etizz: 8:23am On Sep 23, 2018
Legend destroyer.... I think it's high time he fights young blood.... Povetkin is a Lil bit too old for him.... Wilder will be a step ahead
Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by nwakibie3(m): 8:24am On Sep 23, 2018
If he is in nigeria he wont succeed

Congrats to him

1 Like

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by segeranking(m): 8:24am On Sep 23, 2018
Anthony Joshua has Given us more good news this year than this Buhari administration. Congratulations brother.

5 Likes

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by iamfromlagos(f): 8:24am On Sep 23, 2018
Lovelife433:
na wa ooh who go con help us beat dis guy now?
I suggest you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Nobody: 8:25am On Sep 23, 2018
obembet:
Brtish-born Nigerian heavyweight boxer Anthony Joshua on Saturday night retained his IBF, IBO, WBO and WBA titles after a seventh round stoppage of Russian WBA mandatory challenger Alexander Povetkin at the Wembley Stadium in London.

The champion, whose both parents come from Sagamu in Ogun State, dropped Povetkin with a brutal assault in the seventh round and then floored the WBA mandatory challenger again to signal a sudden and dramatic ending to his title defence.

The win, which was watched by an estimated 80,000 fans at Wembley, has thus set the tone for a unification fight in 2019 between Joshua and the winner of the coming bout between British Tyson Fury and American Deontay Wilder, which has been set for December.

The fight had a reported £26m purse with Joshua expected to take home up to £20m while Povetkin will receive £6m.
Povetkin, 39, has thus lost his second fight on his 36th fight. His previous loss came against Vladimir Klitschko in 2013 through unanimous decision. Saturday’s loss was the first time Povetkin would be knocked out in his career.

Povetkin showed early signs of danger by making Joshua stumble in the first round with a wicked left hook before blood poured out of the nose of the champion but Joshua started to dictate the pace as the rounds went on before going on to overpower and knock Povetkin down to the canvas twice in the seventh round.

Joshua praised the Russian challenger, saying the fight was tough but he was happy to achieve his goal.
“First and foremost, everyone here in Wembley, thank you so much! Alexander Povetkin is a very tough challenger and he proved that tonight but I came in here to have fun, do what I’ve been working on in the gym and I did that. I knew he was weak to the head, it could have took seven, nine maybe 10 but all my goal tonight was to be successful,” he told Sky Sports.

“These shorter guys are very good coming through the middle but let’s see what happens now on April 13. There is a lot of pressure; I’m not going to lie to you guys. The whole country is rooting for not just me but David Price, Lawrence Okolie, Matty Askin, Luke Campbell, all of us. A few years ago maybe I wouldn’t have won that fight but that’s credit to all my coaching team.

“It’s about developing and I am in this game to win it and to learn. I’m not too fussed who wins. Good luck to both of them and may the champion bring themselves to the UK and we will have a good dust up.”

Source:
https://punchng.com/joshua-retains-titles-knocks-out-povetkin-after-seven-rounds/

lalasticlala

I see a lot of hangers on and parasites. A certain DJ who can't mix to save her life is at the forefront of this.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Nobody: 8:25am On Sep 23, 2018
TechCapon:
Congratulations to him. He should use the money to buy a new range rover. The stolen one is now on the Atlantic Ocean heading to naija grin

Na joke o
I been wan shout until after reading the last word grin
Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Horus(m): 8:26am On Sep 23, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjg0eQBaHMk

POST FIGHT: Anthony Joshua said his number 1 choice to fight next would be Deontay Wilder.
Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Codebrain7788: 8:26am On Sep 23, 2018
nice

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by dotcomnamename: 8:26am On Sep 23, 2018
Deotney Wilder is a harder puncher... Can Anthony Joshua beat him?

3 Likes

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Smile4daddy(m): 8:28am On Sep 23, 2018
I'm not surprised. Plp of Ogun State and Juju are like 5&6. Main while congrats bro Joshua.
Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by iamfromlagos(f): 8:28am On Sep 23, 2018
Africanbest:
Asa Asika mood right now seeing Cuppy near Joshua
lmao!
You are wicked.
Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by guywitzerogal(m): 8:29am On Sep 23, 2018
TOMMIEYIKES:
e b like say na she oooooo....am smelling sumtinz
Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Nobody: 8:30am On Sep 23, 2018
TechCapon:
Congratulations to him. He should use the money to buy a new range rover. The stolen one is now on the Atlantic Ocean heading to naija grin

Na joke o

By the way, povetkin is not a small fighter at all. Out of his 36 fights he has only lost 2. Anthony Joshua has just 22 fights under his belt.
How did you come to the conclusion that the stolen one is now on the Atlantic heading to Naija? Detective .
Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Nobody: 8:31am On Sep 23, 2018
Congrats AJ.

If I was him I'd just retire with that £20million and go look for another work to do before I sustain brain damage from being knocked on the head too often.

These guys dey try o.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by Nobody: 8:32am On Sep 23, 2018
nwakibie3:
If he is in nigeria he wont succeed

Congrats to him
Gbam!! they will kill him with JUJU before he even begin or SARS will shoot him and label him a yahoo boy or cultist.

1 Like

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by momodub: 8:34am On Sep 23, 2018
TOMMIEYIKES:
sure that cuppy she friend to Joshua sis
Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by TechCapon(m): 8:35am On Sep 23, 2018
awelekiti:
I been wan shout until after reading the last word grin
abeg no vex grin

2 Likes

Re: Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles by moses93(m): 8:36am On Sep 23, 2018
Radicalface:
correct @fonja dude.. this one no be like those ones were full for south west wer dem own muscle na for mouth e der ... der go just der shout upandan before fight ,, throw punch na ,, for where!
you funny o! lolls

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Cameroon Separatists Bomb AFCON Host City, Limbe / €180m Mbappe Remains Most Valuable, Messi 9th, 35-year-old Ronaldo Out Of Top 40 / Man Utd Reach Agreement With Rangnick To Become Interim Manager - The Athletic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.