Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,340 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:33 AM

Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate (17225 Views)

Police Forcefully Evict Magodo Estate Residents Over Supreme Court Judgement / Oyan Dam Release: Lagos Alerts Residents Over Flood. / Army Raids Imo Communities, Arrests Youths, Residents Over IPOB, ESN Membership (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by 7Ebisco: 6:53am On Sep 23, 2018
Palpable fear reign supreme among residents of Benin City, the Edo State capital following recent upsurge in robbery, pick-pockets, breaking and entry that have taken over the city.

Some of the residents and victims told LEADERSHIP that the rampant rate people are been robbed especially commuters is worrisome.

They noted that the State Government and the Security agencies, seems helpless on how to tackle the challenges.

The respondents stressed that a situation where the people could no longer sleep with their two eyes closed or go out without fear of been attacked or robbed, pose a great danger to the state.

They particularly noted that the state of insecurity in the State, would have a negative effect on the efforts of the Government to woo investors to the State.

One of the respondents, Mr Elogie Clement, who was on Friday night robbed of N120,000, three mobile phones and other valuables, described the situation as pathetic.

Elogie said he was robbed at gun-point, along Plymouth road, onboard a taxi he took to Ekenwan road, at about 7pm

According to him, "I have heard tales of stories on robbery, especially in public transport lately but never took it serious until it happened to me.

"The sad thing was that whether you are alone in the vehicles or with others, these boys still do whatever they want to without any fear or being caught.

"I took a cap, all alone in the vehicle when the driver stopped at the busy Plymouth road, when all of a sudden, a guy appeared at the back and placed on gun at the back of my head. That was how they zoomed off and robbed me of everything I had".

It was in a similar manner that one Tina Osagie, in broad daylight, was robbed at gun-point in a commercial bus, between Ring Road and Mission Road.

Aside robbery in commercial vehicles, residents have been robbed of their monies at Automated Teller Machines (ATM), while many shops and homes have been burgled.

This challenges have taken it tool on night life in the city, as commercial businesses now close shops as early as 7pm, because of the fear being attacked.

The robbing of business premises is common in places such as, Airport Road and environs, Ekenwan Road, Sakponba road, Siloko road and environs, as well as Ugbowo axis of Benin.

It would be recalled that the issue of cult related killings have not also helped in the security challenges in the state.

No fewer than six lives, related to cultism, have been lost in the city, within the last few weeks.

These killings took placed around Upper Sakponba, Ogida, Siloko road and Ekenwan road areas of Benin.

The State Commissioner of Police, Babatunde Kokomo, while parading some arrested suspects at the command recently, attributed the killings to reprisal attack, and noted that police was working hard to arrest the menace.

While noting that several persons have been arrested in relation to cultism and armed robbery, he said the police have declared zero tolerance against crime.

Similarly, the Managing Director, Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA), Mr Denis Oloriegbe, pointed out that the reason for initiating number code for commercial buses and cabs, was to check against using it to commit crimes.

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/09/nigeria-fear-grips-benin-residents-over.html

3 Shares

Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by Mostfavoured010(m): 6:54am On Sep 23, 2018
embarassed
7Ebisco:
Palpable fear reign supreme among residents of Benin City, the Edo State capital following recent upsurge in robbery, pick-pockets, breaking and entry that have taken over the city.

Some of the residents and victims told LEADERSHIP that the rampant rate people are been robbed especially commuters is worrisome.

They noted that the State Government and the Security agencies, seems helpless on how to tackle the challenges.

The respondents stressed that a situation where the people could no longer sleep with their two eyes closed or go out without fear of been attacked or robbed, pose a great danger to the state.

They particularly noted that the state of insecurity in the State, would have a negative effect on the efforts of the Government to woo investors to the State.

One of the respondents, Mr Elogie Clement, who was on Friday night robbed of N120,000, three mobile phones and other valuables, described the situation as pathetic.

Elogie said he was robbed at gun-point, along Plymouth road, onboard a taxi he took to Ekenwan road, at about 7pm

According to him, "I have heard tales of stories on robbery, especially in public transport lately but never took it serious until it happened to me.

"The sad thing was that whether you are alone in the vehicles or with others, these boys still do whatever they want to without any fear or being caught.

"I took a cap, all alone in the vehicle when the driver stopped at the busy Plymouth road, when all of a sudden, a guy appeared at the back and placed on gun at the back of my head. That was how they zoomed off and robbed me of everything I had".

It was in a similar manner that one Tina Osagie, in broad daylight, was robbed at gun-point in a commercial bus, between Ring Road and Mission Road.

Aside robbery in commercial vehicles, residents have been robbed of their monies at Automated Teller Machines (ATM), while many shops and homes have been burgled.

This challenges have taken it tool on night life in the city, as commercial businesses now close shops as early as 7pm, because of the fear being attacked.

The robbing of business premises is common in places such as, Airport Road and environs, Ekenwan Road, Sakponba road, Siloko road and environs, as well as Ugbowo axis of Benin.

It would be recalled that the issue of cult related killings have not also helped in the security challenges in the state.

No fewer than six lives, related to cultism, have been lost in the city, within the last few weeks.

These killings took placed around Upper Sakponba, Ogida, Siloko road and Ekenwan road areas of Benin.

The State Commissioner of Police, Babatunde Kokomo, while parading some arrested suspects at the command recently, attributed the killings to reprisal attack, and noted that police was working hard to arrest the menace.

While noting that several persons have been arrested in relation to cultism and armed robbery, he said the police have declared zero tolerance against crime.

Similarly, the Managing Director, Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA), Mr Denis Oloriegbe, pointed out that the reason for initiating number code for commercial buses and cabs, was to check against using it to commit crimes.

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/09/nigeria-fear-grips-benin-residents-over.html
Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by hisgrace090: 7:08am On Sep 23, 2018
The end SARS crew have gone back to their trade,
They want to use Edo as a testing ground before migrating to other part.

Nigeria is not yet ripe for gentle man police force, we"re too unpredictable.

13 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by Mcreloaded(m): 7:27am On Sep 23, 2018
The major crime in vogue now in Benin especially down sapele road is breaking into houses when the owner have either gone to church or work or travelled .
It is mostly done in the day time while if you dare travel they come over night and remove your properties.
Braking and entry is now rampant and you are adviced to make sure some one is always at home while other members of the house can go to church or school or work.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:30am On Sep 23, 2018
The police should get there acts together ASAP.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by izuch(m): 7:30am On Sep 23, 2018
Benin and crime na 5&6

Like if you agree share if you don't

29 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by Proffdada: 7:31am On Sep 23, 2018
I blame the parents before I blame the economy

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by Iruobean(m): 7:31am On Sep 23, 2018
cool
Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by franchasng: 7:31am On Sep 23, 2018
Lol, could it be because SARS has been warned to stop harassing Yahoo boys

SARS boys swapped uniform shocked

Let's pray not lipsrsealed

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by gbaskiboy: 7:32am On Sep 23, 2018
Benin I hail ooooo

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by nelronaldo(m): 7:33am On Sep 23, 2018
Badd
Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by Nobody: 7:34am On Sep 23, 2018
Shebi they said their Oba curse dey work die? This time, make their dude of a Oba naked swear for them na...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by lastmaster(m): 7:34am On Sep 23, 2018
End SARS? the chain reaction is here.
Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by sulaimon22: 7:35am On Sep 23, 2018
Edo and crime sha
Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by teflonjake(m): 7:36am On Sep 23, 2018
Reprisal attacks or robbery ..The police should do it a job. I was in Benin last week.... The town Don cast
Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by Nukilia: 7:36am On Sep 23, 2018
Mcreloaded:
The major crime in vogue now in Benin especially down sapele road is breaking into houses when the owner have either gone to church or work or travelled .
It is mostly done in the day time while if you dare travel they come over night and remove your properties.
Braking and entry is now rampant and you are adviced to make sure some one is always at home while other members of the house can go to church or school or work.

Get a gun for yourself...

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by jide219(m): 7:36am On Sep 23, 2018
God divinie protection for me,my family and friends,evil eyes shall and will not see us ooo,even one chance self don enter oluku to main gate ,my friend was a victim

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by fatymore(f): 7:37am On Sep 23, 2018
Same Benin that Oba cursed people involved in human trafficking.. Oba should try and curse more , since police are ineffective

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by sharaawy(m): 7:37am On Sep 23, 2018
i jst tire.......even those of us in d popular ringroad axis r nt spared....

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by Nobody: 7:37am On Sep 23, 2018
High birthrate + High unemployment rate = HIGH CRIME RATE!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by nicebaba: 7:38am On Sep 23, 2018
izuch:
Benin and crime na 5&6

What do you want to do with these "likes" you are indirectly soliciting for?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by Birdyclear: 7:38am On Sep 23, 2018
And politicians won't care because they're busy seeking for reelection, the governor is busy looking for a way to help Buhari regain power, Oshiape is busy telling us how security has been 100% solid under Buhari, while his state is nothing to write home about.... Thunder will fire all this politicians who doesn't have the masses at heart.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by Icon4s(m): 7:39am On Sep 23, 2018
Libyan deportees are back on the streets.

Plus Libya to Italy no pay like before again.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by oz4real83(m): 7:39am On Sep 23, 2018
izuch:
Benin and crime na 5&6

all because of ''shares'' and ''likes'',some of u just type nonsense. Is there any part of Nigeria that isn't experiencing security challenges? I wonder what u will buy with the ''likes'' and ''shares''

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by Nobody: 7:39am On Sep 23, 2018
Hunger is in the land
Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by Birdyclear: 7:41am On Sep 23, 2018
izuch:
Benin and crime na 5&6

Julius Berger is always begging for contracts while you're here begging for cheap likes.. Go get a life

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by Hoodbilonia: 7:41am On Sep 23, 2018
and i suppose travel go benin o
i nor go carry my lapy worth 400k
i go buy toks lapy of 35k
i no fear cause na biu area me dey go so
make dem npr disarm me
krav maga comes to mind

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by sagitariusbaby(m): 7:41am On Sep 23, 2018
This news is misleading, the part of Benin where my parent stay and many other parts is free of such petty crimes. Nigeria as a whole isn't safe, too many crimes are being perpetrated daily across the country, it's not peculiar to Benin

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by Dboy55(m): 7:42am On Sep 23, 2018
kingdavidyakson:
Shebi they said their Oba curse dey work die? This time, make their dude of a Oba naked swear for them na...
Thunder fire your head

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by GlobalGisting(m): 7:42am On Sep 23, 2018
The whole police checkpoints in Benin especially the one at Obe by that new paint company is notorious for collection of 100naira from every bus that drives by. They don't care if these robbers are attacking passengers inside the bus so far driver Don give Dem 100naira.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate by lee818(f): 7:43am On Sep 23, 2018
izuch:
Benin and crime na 5&6

Wow!! like Benin is the only city in Nigeria that has high crime issues!!! Dude grow up and stop inciting hate and tribalism on the blog

10 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

INEC Ban: APC Consulting Lawyers For Response On Zamfara / Grand Reception For AIG Hakeem Odumosu (Photos) / ISWAP Set To Use Drones, Advanced Tech

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.