Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,450 members, 7,781,303 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:04 PM

Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It (29443 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Ayodele70: 7:33am On Sep 23, 2018
Nigerian writer, speaker, and activist, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie has weighed in on the idea of bride price in Nigerian marriages.

She had an evening with some young people in Lagos yesterday, and someone asked a question about bride price.

According to her, her dad didn't receive any bride price during her wedding, he just collected 10kobo to make it symbolic.

She also revealed she is not a fan of bride price because it ruins things.

She said'

"I am not a fan of bride price. I think we should get rid of the whole idea of money in marriage, it ruins things. We are not selling anybody".

Watch the videos here; https://www.amagitesblog.com/2018/09/i-am-not-a-fan-of-bride-price-we-should-get-rid-of-it-chimamanda-adichie.html

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by donstan18: 7:36am On Sep 23, 2018
Social media opinions cannot change tradition, we should stop deceiving ourselves with these bride price blah blah blah.

If as a man,you are charged higher than you can pay to marry, you simply back-off since you can't afford it, not ranting because of your inability to meet up the needed requirements, afterall some tribes don't charge high.

And as a woman, once a man pay your bride price to wife you, have it in mind that your submissiveness isn't negotiable.

Tradition is tradition and social media can't change it.

253 Likes 29 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Kingosytex(m): 7:37am On Sep 23, 2018
coming from a die-hard feminist. so because u aren't in support of bride price it should be thrown into the waste bin. na wa o!!

86 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by mrtomola(m): 7:37am On Sep 23, 2018
True talk, especially from Igbo side. I beg i wan marry my Uju without stress of paying bride price in Dollar$ grin

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by amaniro: 7:37am On Sep 23, 2018
Seconded

Humans made custom. Humans can change it. Tradition is a bondage of hypocrisy saddled on generations.

92 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by amaniro: 7:38am On Sep 23, 2018
mrtomola:
True talk, especially from Igbo side. I beg i wan marry my Uju without stress of paying bride price in Dollar$ grin

Lol I heard Efik bride price nobe here oo

8 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by amaniro: 7:39am On Sep 23, 2018
Kingosytex:
coming from a die-hard feminist. so because u aren't in support of bride price it should be thrown into the waste bin. na wa o!!

Exactly. it's an old absurd practice/tradition.

People made custom. People can end it too.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by mrtomola(m): 7:41am On Sep 23, 2018
amaniro:

Lol I heard Efik bride price nobe here oo

Bro that one naa die cry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Nobody: 7:43am On Sep 23, 2018
When we do away with all our customs and tradition, I wonder what will be left, we'll just be living on borrowed identity.

The problem is not the idea of the bride price, it's the exorbitant amounts being charged by the bride's family.

80 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Exwizard: 7:45am On Sep 23, 2018
Seconded looking at the way some families shortlist the list for bride price as if their lives depends on it.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by eph12(m): 7:51am On Sep 23, 2018
Kingosytex:
This should be supported by everybody. Not just the bride price, even the other forms of payment whether in the name of kinsmen or family

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by CAPSLOCKED: 7:55am On Sep 23, 2018
Ayodele70:

"I am not a fan of bride price. I think we should get rid of the whole idea of money in marriage, it ruins things. We are not selling anybody".

THIS IS THE MOST SENSIBLE THING THAT HAS EVER COME OUT FROM THIS GIRL'S MOUTH.

SENSE HAS FINALLY LOCATED HER.

52 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by bewla(m): 7:59am On Sep 23, 2018
yes the one from Igbo land them they sale their pikin

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by SAMBARRY: 9:08am On Sep 23, 2018
Im with chimanda on this

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by ibkayee(f): 9:29am On Sep 23, 2018
Eh, on one hand I guess it shows her value to the household she's leaving but on the other, it gives the groom even more of a reason to feel entitled to mistreating her and with some of the extortionate lists I've come across that the groom is required to pay for I can't even blame them for seeing her as 'property'

9 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:47am On Sep 23, 2018
True words....... some parents won't love this sha!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Macmoni(m): 10:47am On Sep 23, 2018
Na u get ur mouth come stop am now anuofia

8 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by princechurchill(m): 10:47am On Sep 23, 2018
Ogbanje de disturb her

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by MollyBank: 10:48am On Sep 23, 2018
mrtomola:

You do realise that bride price in Igbo is not more than one thousand Naira5?

7 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by dingbang(m): 10:48am On Sep 23, 2018
grin before she comes to spew trash online, she should tell her father to return the bride price her husband paid on her head, only then can we give her a listening ear

Please read my signature, thanks

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Andrewgame42: 10:49am On Sep 23, 2018
Get rid of marriage too nah... Abi why do we even need to marry

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Nobody: 10:49am On Sep 23, 2018
Guys,when checking out d lists

6 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Gerrard59(m): 10:49am On Sep 23, 2018
Thank you!

Bride price is symbolic of slave trade.

12 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Nobody: 10:49am On Sep 23, 2018
You should return yours first

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Okoyeebo: 10:49am On Sep 23, 2018
10kobo is even too much for her. One Tomtom is enough.

9 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:49am On Sep 23, 2018
Supported, as well as maternity leave

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by jy2kbeyond(m): 10:49am On Sep 23, 2018
My sister, shey your husband no pay for your bride price?

If he hasn't, both of you are indulging in fornication.

He needs to pay and get the approval of your parents because you didn't birth and train yourself.

Put small sense in your feminism madam undecided undecided undecided ;

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by FarahAideed: 10:49am On Sep 23, 2018
After your father has eaten your own bride price

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Next2Bezee(m): 10:49am On Sep 23, 2018
Criis:
When we do away with all our customs and tradition, I wonder what will be left, we'll just be living on borrowed identity.

The problem is not the idea of the bride price, it's the exorbitant amounts being charged by the bride's family.

Who has the traditions helped? These stupid traditions have caused more harm than good.

It is only in NIGERIA that it is ok for parents to sell their daughters for money and foodstuff.

It is when Nigerians are willing to abandon the rubbish that they are used to that we can now start improving.

Say NO to old pot-bellied politicians.
Say NO to local traditions.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Earthquake1: 10:50am On Sep 23, 2018
mrtomola:

Na lie Uju costs more than Yemi

If you no like am, de go

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by goodnessme1(f): 10:50am On Sep 23, 2018
mrtomola:
why are our men running after ibo women leave our cheap ladies here in west.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by lifestyle1(m): 10:50am On Sep 23, 2018

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The Kevlar's Emergency Fiancee (chritsmas Edition) / Awaken: Divine Hunter / Twisted Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.