Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,148 members, 7,780,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:34 AM

The Last Insurgent - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Last Insurgent (26907 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 8:18am On Oct 10, 2018
FIFTEEN

Kamal came into the room with alacrity. The three Military Intelligence soldiers inside the room stood up and saluted.

“How did you get it?” He asked.

“It was posted on social media, Sir. Source-unknown.”

“Let’s have it.”

“Yes, sir”

The soldier put on the laptop and played a video.
A huge man with rough beards, wearing military uniforms with a bandage round his head appeared. There was an AK 47 hung over his shoulder.
Behind him were ten men, also dressed in military uniforms with masks on their faces stood grimly behind him.
Behind them was two trucks and they seemed to be in a forest.
The man with the bandage began to talk.

“You infidels! You Nigerians! I have a message for you. I had wanted to send this message long time ago but it is today Allah ordained. I am Sadiq Jahl Al-Bornawi. Enough is enough! We started with admonishments. Peacefully calling you to renounce infidelity, debauchery, oppression, ungodliness and embracing the devilish western education.
But you kept arresting us, killing us until you got us to the wall. The holy Jihad is on. We are not relenting, nothing will deter us until you all leave infidelity and embrace the laws of God!”

“Allahu Akhbar (God is Great)!” The men behind him shouted and they fired shots into the air.

“You leave girls to wander about, without getting married. You allow young girls to go into prostitution in the name of education. Young able boys that should serve God waste in your filthy schools. The time has come for a complete revolution. We will keep saving these girls by taking them off your dirty world and getting them married; give them Islamic education so they can make it to paradise.
You cannot stop us! You that call yourself the president of Nigeria, John or whatever they call you, we will deal with you. Your soldiers are nothing! They fear us! We kill them. Sending them to Borno is death sentence.
I know you attacked us last night. You think I am dead. Sadiq Jahl is alive! I am alive! I escaped the bomb blast. We are not scared of your grenades, tankers, fighter jets. You have ; we have. May the best man win. Here are some of the poor girls you send to doom in the name of school. Look…..”

The camera turned towards some girls who were force to sit down on the ground, all covered in veils, reciting a part of the Qur’an.

“The war has just begun.”

Kamal kept looking at Jahl.

“Get Derrick!” He said.

1 Like

Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 8:31am On Oct 10, 2018
Leena was confused. She knew what he meant. He would leave if she told him that she was betrothed. It was more than just an introduction. If not for the abduction, she would have been in Adam’s house by now. His dowry was still there and a date has been fixed.
She would not lie about it. She would tell him the truth. He would understand. Understand? This was Mufty. He may have confessed his love for her but his string stand on issues like this made her thought twice. She never had the slightest idea that he liked her. Who could have thought he could express his feelings with such beautiful words?
She had to make a decision now.
She looked into his eyes and looked down.

“No. Everyone knows about the relationship but it has not been formalised.” She said. She felt ashamed of herself. She lied to him and denied her relationship status with Adam. It was not her intention to deny Adam, or deceive Mufty. She was just not ready to let him go. She did not know where all of these would lead to. She knew he would always find out. This cannot be hidden for long but she just wanted him to still be around for now, and hoped things would be sorted out.

“Are you sure about that?” He asked and she found it hard to meet his eyes. With a courage that came from where she knew not, she looked directly into his eyes.

“I am sure about it.” She said.

There seemed to be a big relief on his face.

“I will stay behind. Leena. You are my solace; you pull me from beneath to surface; you keep me in position like shoe lace. I don’t want this to be a fling, because you shine like bling, and just when I thought I had exceeded the elastic limit you pull back the string.
But I am a man that is lost, living at a cost, for being unjust. How can you live with me, when I seem not to fit into your world?”

“You have no right to play God because only God can judge.” She said, “I hope you-we get this self-condemnation behind us. Start afresh and I want to start with you. I beg you in the name of God to let it go. Seek for forgiveness, feel remorse and never do it again. That is how God makes it easy for us because of his infinite mercy. You condemn yourself while a lot of girls out there, with their parents, friends and loved ones are praying for you for saving them. Just promise me something….let it go.”

He looked at her and smiled.
That smile.

“I will try.”

“Nah. Don’t try, do it.”

He nodded.

“I don’t have a job, and when this madness got into our heads, most of us tore our credentials.”

“Oh my God! Was it that bad?”

“It is worse than you can imagine. We were made to believe that western education is nothing but a deviation from the laws of God. I was so gullible because I was in a situation where I hated the world for my sins. I don’t know where to start from.”

“This sect is really satanic.”

“You can say that again. Remember the night Jahl hit me for claiming to be your husband?”

“Yes. How can I forget the night that I was taken away?”

“I was sent to kill a Sheikh. You know him because he was famous. As I waited to kill him, I heard his sermon which revealed things I never knew. It changed my views and I realised that Islam was a sine quanon of education and civilisation. I ended up not killing him but someone else did it. It had been resonating with me. I wonder who did it because I combed the place and saw all of the people around him.
That was the day I realised that I was serving God in the wrong way. In fact, I was nothing but an enemy of God. Then you became an instrument that took me away from that life completely. Now, I have no one but you. I don’t want to lose you but what if I am not accepted into your life by your parents?”

“It is going to be alright Manga.” She said almost in tears. He just said he had no one but her. And she could not believe she was instrumental to saving a soul; taking someone out of an abysmal life. This was the best thing she had ever done because for her sake, about hundred girls were saved.

“You will start court processes. Affidavit and all of that. I don’t know much about these things but you can just a give a story. You lost your credentials in a fire accident or something.”

He nodded like a child. At that moment, she saw a completely different side of him. The hardness in his façade was gone. He looked like a child, so innocent and vulnerable. The taciturnity was gone no one would have believed this was the dangerous Mufty that even the insurgents feared.

“Let us leave everything in the hands of God.” She said. She knew it was not going to be easy. She did not even know how Adam was going to react. Who knew what he may have told them?

“What if they accept me and ask what I do for a living or…ask me to start the wedding preparation?”

The question made her gave him a sharp glance. The expression on her face got him wondering if he had said something wrong.
He thought she just realised that it would not work out and he felt a sudden fear. He could not remember the last time he felt so scared. He had been in very critical situations, chased and shot at by the police and soldiers but he never felt the fear that swept through him now that he may lose her.

“You want to marry me?” she asked in a low tone. He just talked about wedding. He truly wanted to be with her.

“Why else will I fall in love with you?” He dropped the rhetorical question. “If it was part of our tradition to get a diamond ring and kneel down to propose, I am sure that a diamond ring would have fallen from above right now. I want to marry you and if it was within my power, I would have done that right now.”

Her lips shifted and a pretty smile was produced.

“That will be one of my happiest moments in life.” She said. “I am just worried about where you will stay. This hotel is a bit expensive for someone who has no job. Five thousand a day is a bit on the high side.”

“I am going to get an apartment.”

“But that will also cost money.” She observed. “I had some money but I bought a bike with it and used the rest to pay some people.”

“A bike? What do you need a bike for?”

“The bike I used to go to the camp and I had to pay my accomplices.”

“You used your savings to risk your life for me?”

“Don’t go there. You seems to underestimate the power of love, don’t you?”

“That is because I am just experiencing true love for the first time. I love you Leena.”

He said it for the first time.

She blushed.

“I love you too.”

“Before I find an apartment, I think I can keep paying for the hotel bills.” He said before going to the wardrobe to bring out his backpack.

She was shocked to the bundles of currencies he offloaded. There were bundles of one thousand naira notes and American dollars.

“I have almost six million naira here.” He said. “The money I made over the years. I never spent it because there was nothing to spend for. I was not there for the money and like I said in retrospect, there was nothing that excited me about this world in terms of luxury. They fed us and unlike some of our men who lived a double life or went to town to enjoy their money, I was completely stuck to the course.”

“This is a lot of money. I mean you can start up something before getting a job.”

He shook his head slowly.

“I am sorry I can’t.” he said. “This is the money I got from terrorism. The money I got by inflicting pains on people, my country and destroying the image of my religion. The only reason I will use it to rent an apartment, feed or pay for hotel bills is because I must survive to achieve my objectives. I will never invest it, or get married with it, or do anything else. It came from insurgency and it go into something that destroy them. I will still try to get my credentials back and look for a job.”

“I understand. It is a nice decision.”

“Thank you for understanding.” He put the money back into the bag. “I think it is high time you went back home. Go and ease the tension out there. They are worried, remember?”

She nodded.

“Let me type my number for you.” She said. “I left my real phone at home.”

She collected his phone and she put in the number.

“I should give you mine. I want you to notify me when you arrive safely.”

“Sure.”

When it was time for her to leave, he remembered something.

“You cannot go in those clothes. You have to wear the dirty one.”

“That is correct. This is new and I am supposed to be an escapee.”

“And remember what I asked you to tell them. ATOF will come in and question you. Never change your story.”

“I won’t.”

“And never think for a second that moments like this when we have to say goodbye to each other is not one of the most difficult for me.”

“Awwnn….why do you see through my mind? That is exactly what is going on in my heart.”

“I don’t see through your heart. Our hearts are synchronized”

“If you keep talking like this, I will not leave here.”

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Last Insurgent by Ann2012(f): 9:16am On Oct 10, 2018
Hmmmm

This Mufty and Leena's love ehn, I don't know how it will end should he know about Adam
Re: The Last Insurgent by skubido(m): 9:21am On Oct 10, 2018
Nawa oooo, this wan weak me ooo

OP tanks for the update
Re: The Last Insurgent by Harzeezh123: 5:15pm On Oct 10, 2018
u hv try in writing all dis my brother I must confess u over work on with all ur words ND d elongated way of writing this
I pray may Almighty Allah bless you more Dan wat u want from him May u never experience failure in all wat u working pray for
well done because jihad has caused alot in d world claiming Muslim bt dey ar terrorists

PLEASE TRY TO FINISHED IT
Re: The Last Insurgent by Evold: 6:01pm On Oct 10, 2018
I feel sorry for manga. Always falling in love with the wrong person
Re: The Last Insurgent by headbasher96(m): 8:48pm On Oct 10, 2018
Harzeezh123:
u hv try in writing all dis my brother I must confess u over work on with all ur words ND d elongated way of writing this
I pray may Almighty Allah bless you more Dan wat u want from May u experience failure in all wat u working pray for
well done because jihad has caused alot in d world claiming Muslim bt dey ar terrorists

modify your post so u are now wishing him bad luck abi i see may he experience failure right that why am always afraid of u northerner u always potray illitracy same thing that pushed mufty into insurgency pls watch what u type the whole world is watching not only u northers and bear in mind nl is not a northern thing
Re: The Last Insurgent by Born2Breed(f): 9:03pm On Oct 10, 2018
headbasher96:
modify your post so u are now wishing him bad luck abi i see may he experience failure right that why am always afraid of u northerner u always potray illitracy same thing that pushed mufty into insurgency pls watch what u type the whole world is watching not only u northers and bear in mind nl is not a northern thing

Lol! I thought I'm the only one that read it. That person must be on a condiene diet.
Re: The Last Insurgent by Born2Breed(f): 9:05pm On Oct 10, 2018
Harzeezh123:
I pray may Almighty Allah bless you more Dan wat u want from May u NEVER experience failure in all wat u working pray for

Re: The Last Insurgent by headbasher96(m): 9:16pm On Oct 10, 2018
Born2Breed:

Lol! I thought I'm the only one that read it. That person must be on a condiene diet.
some post this days the weak me and na since morning o i think say him go come modify the rubbish, just come the wish pessin failure anyhow for here after enjoying his write up
Re: The Last Insurgent by Born2Breed(f): 9:22pm On Oct 10, 2018
headbasher96:
some post this days the weak me and na since morning o i think say him go come modify the rubbish, just come the wish pessin failure anyhow for here after enjoying his write up

grin the thing make me weak like over ripe dodo.
Re: The Last Insurgent by headbasher96(m): 9:28pm On Oct 10, 2018
Born2Breed:

grin the thing make me weak like over ripe dodo.
which state are u in pls i just like u
Re: The Last Insurgent by headbasher96(m): 9:36pm On Oct 10, 2018
cheesy cheesy[color=#770077][/color]soko dobo come update for use na we park here since o my battery don die its like if u come people wey go help me push the motor go come spy u then i go catch them one of your guy use kettle high enough come pray for u finish wish u bad luck join cOMe make we stone the guy for that fence me and born2breed the wait for am ok see him head the show abeg born2breed block here make i pusure am again if u see stone am for head no miss o because na president brother i know say u ma sabi stone use burnt bricks atleast wound am u hear
Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 9:42pm On Oct 10, 2018
Haneefa was a twenty four year old Computer Science graduate. She was of average height, slim with very long hair. Her friends used to call her Black Indian.
She came out of her house and smiled at Adam who sat on the hood of his car.

“Adam.”

“Hanny, what’s up?”

“I’m good. How are you doing?”

“Breathing.”

“Come on.”

“What else? I still breath.”

“So, shall we?”

“Sure.”

They got into the car and he drove off.

“When did she come back?” He asked.

“Adam are you asking me? She called me this about thirty minutes ago that she just arrived. Are you trying to say she did not call you?”

“She did. I just don’t know what to believe anymore.”

“Duuhr! You are taking it too far.”

“Hanny, did you just say too far? This is a girl I am supposed to have gotten married to like five months ago and get married to in just seven weeks’ time but gets missing only to call me that it was not……”

“It was not what?”

“Nothing.”

“Nothing? Do you think I am stupid. You have been trying to hide something but you fail because words slip out of your mouth easily. What the heck is going on between you guys. Leena is my childhood friend and she told me nothing out if the ordinary. What is going on?”

“I don’t know. I think you should ask her. Do you know if there is someone else in her life?”

“Define someone else. It can’t be just all about you. She got parents, besties like me, bothers….”

“You know what I mean. Is there another guy in her life? Is she in love with someone else?”

“Even though the question sounds so strange, I will say no. She has never told me about anyone else and I never saw any sign.”

“Hmmmm…”

“Adam, what is going on please?”

“We are going to see her now. I want it all figured out. I have kept my side of the bargain. Now I demand to know what is going on. I call you in because you are her best friend.”

“Say that again.”

“I think it has to be settled today. The rest, we will find out when we get there.” He said firmly.

They tried to change the topic but deep down, they all kept thinking about it. Haneefa was more curious.
When they arrived the house, they met a house in celebration. It was like a ceremony. Food was in surplus and people kept coming to see her and congratulate her parents. This time, Leena felt guilty but tried to keep it low. Even though she had narrowly escaped death, she was not kidnapped.

Adam and Haneefa arrived. Haneefa and Leena hugged each other.

“Tell me you will never leave again.” Haneefa said.

“Never and I am saying never insha Allah.”

People began to felicitate with Adam, congratulating him and he wore a constant fake smile.
Meanwhile, Haneefa could not wait to be in seclusion with Leena. They went outside the main house and stood by a car in the parking space.

“Leena, what is going on between you and Adam? He has being acting strange and saying strange things that do not make sense to me…..” she briefed her what she and Adam had been discussing.

“I am sorry I never told you this. I did not because it was so crazy not even my best friend would understand me. In fact, I could not understand myself either but it not what Adam thinks.”

“What is it?”

“So you girls are here.” Adam said with both hands in his pockets. They did not see him coming.

“Leena, I am happy you are back. I just want to know if you are in love with someone else.”

1 Like

Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 9:45pm On Oct 10, 2018
SEVENTEEN

“No.” Leena said and felt so low at that moment. A part of her said she was just a player, toying with the hearts of two men. She had told Mufty that there was nothing serious between her and Adam. Now, she told Adam she was not in love with someone else.
Was she threading on the wrong side of the game?
Okay, she had lied to Mufty because she did not want to lose him. If she told him about Adam. He would have walked away. She did not lie because she wanted to play him.
She lied to Adam because he looked as if he wanted to make a scene and unveiling her relationship with Mufty had to be tactical. There were too many dark sides of him which no one may understand.
She did not want him to go ballistics here. She would tell him the truth but in a more conducive manner.

“Are you sure about this?”

“I am.”

He seemed to be relieved.

“I need you guys to excuse me.” Haneefa said.

“Where are you going to?” Leena asked.

“I have not said hello to Mama. I will be back.”

“Okay dear.”

She left.

“What is going on? Why is all these happening?” Adam asked.

“There is nothing going. I told you I had to save someone. He was a child who I could not leave alone.”

“Where is he?”

“Did you expect me to bring him home?”

“But you brought a child home the other time.”

“That was an infant and we got the formal permit to keep him. Gwago is taking care of him. This boy I saved is about twelve and he left with his mother.”

“Were they both captured?”

“Yes. But it was for him.”

“But I don’t get it. how did you save him? We are talking about insurgents here. The most dangerous sects in the country now. They are more virulent and feared more than Niger-Delta militants. The whole world is shouting ‘bring back our girls’ so I wonder how you saved him and his mother.”

“Did I make a mention of going back to the insurgents? I saved him from a house where he was been subjected to child labour and please stop pressing me with barrages of questions. I told you because I trusted you.”

“Don’t I have the right to question you?”

“You use the word ‘right’. I am not yet under you. I am still under my parents. Don’t call it right. Call it courtesy.”

“Hmmm…so what has the saving of the boy got to do with you not knowing if you love me again?”

“Adam, I just came back and I have gone through a lot. I cannot engage in an argument now.”

“This is not an argument. Just seeking for answers.”

“I never said I do not love you again. I said I don’t know but I do not hate you. I like you.”

“Hmmm…Leena.”

“My name has not changed Adam.”

“No but you have changed.”

“Really? I never knew about that.”

“Please Leena do not hurt me.”

“I swear I will never hurt you intentionally. I just want us to ray for what is best for us and only Allah knows this. If you are the best for me, then may we get married. If I am the best for you, same but if……..”

“What are you saying?”

“I am praying. Is there something wrong with the prayer? Do you know what lies ahead?”

“Why now? Why just a few weeks to the wedding?”

“You don’t seem to understand it. I have always prayed that I do not know who is best for me. I always pray that Allah should bring him to me. We are not yet married Adam. Please let us talk about something else. We should not put all our eggs in one basket. We should not commit our whole hearts into it so we don’t get shattered hearts. We should wait until we are married before we believe it fully but you are still very special to me. You are more than a friend but a super-brother and potential husband.”

“Thank you.” He said knowing there was no point of further argument. “I want to leave. Ask Haneefa if she wants to leave now. If she wants to stay back, then I leave.”

“Okay.”

As she walked away, his eyes followed her behind and he felt his bile rise. He wanted her but he was no fool. She was falling out of love with him.
No. she still loved him, Maybe it was just a psychological trauma. Whatever it was, he was not letting her go. He knew her parents would not let the wedding crash. No matter what she did, he would not let go.
She was going through a lot and he understood. She loved him. She also wanted him and he believed her when she said there was no one else.
Leena met Haneefa sipping juice.

“Are you guys through?” Haneefa asked.

“Yes. He wants to know if you are leaving now.”

“Hell no.” she said with a pout. “ I have my TP for keke. Let him go, I need to talk to you.”

Leena smiled.

“Okay but I wish you could tell him yourself.”

“Don’t you want to go back?”

“Sure I do but courtesy….you should tell him yourself rather than sending me back.”

They went back to him.

“Adam, thank you for the ride but I still want to hang out with this foolish girl a bit. Do not think that I miss her though.”

“You better confess, naughty girl. You missed me .”

Haneefa pouted.

“I have to leave then. Thank you Haneefa for everything.” He said, smiled and then walked out of the compound.

“You have got a lot of explanations to make.” Haneefa said after Adam left. “What is going on?”

“Nothing.”

“I was there when you said there was no one else in your life. Why did I not believe you? Why do I feel there is something going on?”

This was the time to tell her best friend but what was she going to tell her? That she fell in love with someone she met in Kabari Forest? The guy who abducted her? Was there any best friend that would understand with her? This was Adam, a nice guy who they knew his background and ready to marry her.

“Adam is just being paranoid. I still love him and we are good.” She said. This was not the time to reveal her secret. She knew Haneefa would tell her the truth and the truth was breaking up with Manga and getting married to Adam.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 9:47pm On Oct 10, 2018
Adam sat in his car when he saw Haneefa come out of her house. He wondered who are tailor was. The way he made her clothes for her made him wondered if he was trained just to sew for her.
She produced a smile.

“Adam.”

“Hanny. You look sweet.”

“Thank you.”

“Please come in.”

She hesitated.

“I thought you were coming out.”

“It is sunny and hot.”

More hesitation. She reluctantly moved and opened the passenger’s side door and got in. He was right. It was hot and the AC blew a cool air that made her felt so nice.
He brought out two containers of ice-cream and passed one to her.

“It is hot. It is a stracciatella ice-cream.”

“Adam, you know I won’t say no to this.” She collected it. She loved stracciatella which was a variety of gelato. She loved chocolate so the irregular shavings of chocolate and milk-base made it mouthwatering.

“I know right.” He smiled.

“Where is Haneefa?” She asked after a scoop.

“Who?”

“Oh my God! I meant Leena.”

“Damn! This ice-cream is brutal. You just gave your name to someone else.”

They laughed.

“I was with her a few minutes ago.”

“and you look happier today.”

“I am happy.”

“So, things are working out well, huh?”

“Yeah.”

“I told you. Leena was just going through some things.”

“Yeah. I know she would never hurt me on purpose. I got to understand her.”

“I am glad.”

“Thank you. Haneefa….”

“Yep.” She replied while the coldness and sweetness of the ice-cream scintillated her.

“I just want you to know that mean a lot to me. When I feel down, you come to my mind. I feel so comfortable telling you my travails and you heal me.”

“Does that make a me a good wife’s best friend?”

“Do I have a wife?”

“You have an almost-wife.”

He chuckled. He took a full spoon of ice-cream.

“I can never share ice-cream with you. Did you see the scoop you just took? If we were sharing one, then it would have been ratio 3:1. You take one spoon, wait, and I take three.”

“Who knows if we are going to share?”

She heard him say that and felt something knock her head. That did not sound so nice.

“Nah, we can’t share one. You would share with Leena and not me. But I don’t think you can cheat her. She could be naughty too. When we were in secondary school, there was this woman who used to sell doughnuts. We would go when she was just making them and get them hot. Leena would have two before I get one….”

“The Hausa man says a person’ wife is his grave. You don’t know where you will be buried for certain.”

“I have heard that but I don’t know where it fits in besides, you did not laugh to my story.”

“Ohhhh,” he said and forced a fake laugh.

“That is not fair. It was not funny. Okay, Adam…..”

“I think I am in love with you.”

Haneefa felt her mouth go dry even though it was filled with ice-cream. What did he just say? Was this guy crazy? Did he think the ice-cream would intoxicate her or he was intoxicated himself.

“That is a strong word, Adam.”

“I know. It is a strong word for a strong feeling. I want to marry you Haneefa.”

She was speechless. She dropped the bowl of ice-cream. Went out the car and slammed the door.
Adam had lost it, she thought.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Last Insurgent by headbasher96(m): 10:09pm On Oct 10, 2018
nice post mehn dont ever let anyone predict your write up u are one of a kind
Re: The Last Insurgent by tijehi(f): 3:27am On Oct 11, 2018
Thank God Adam is in love with Haneefa, now Leena is free to Love Mufty without feeling guilty.

Well done Sokodobo

2 Likes

Re: The Last Insurgent by Ayotomiwa29(m): 7:40am On Oct 11, 2018
U are d best sokodobo. *(leaves to vote for him)*
Re: The Last Insurgent by Harzeezh123: 9:41am On Oct 11, 2018
is a mistake hv modify it thanks for d correction
Re: The Last Insurgent by Harzeezh123: 9:44am On Oct 11, 2018
Born2Breed:

na mistake hv correct it.
Re: The Last Insurgent by Harzeezh123: 9:46am On Oct 11, 2018
headbasher96:
hv correct it bt y d insult
ND hw did u no am from northern side
Re: The Last Insurgent by Evold: 9:59am On Oct 11, 2018
Right move Adam. Do not put all your eggs in one basket
Re: The Last Insurgent by headbasher96(m): 2:39pm On Oct 11, 2018
Harzeezh123:

hv correct it bt y d insult
ND hw did u no am from northern side
your name is harzeehz thats a northern name
Re: The Last Insurgent by excelmerry: 4:41pm On Oct 11, 2018
MhizFavour:
I noticed dat u voted twice. Pls remove one so ur vote will be accepted. Our SokoDobo must win!
Just noticed it myself. How do I remove one?
Re: The Last Insurgent by MhizFavour: 8:15pm On Oct 11, 2018
excelmerry:

Just noticed it myself. How do I remove one?
I dont really know but i think u can modify/edit it and just write something else without mentioning SokoDobo . I hope this helps
Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 8:23pm On Oct 11, 2018
Mufty sat at a table with his face resting on his chin in the living-room of his new two-room apartment. It has a kitchenette and toilet.
It was poorly furnished. The bedroom had just a big mattress on the carpet, while the living-room had just carpet laid on the floor and two plastic chairs.
Jahl was alive and had come out as planned. Mufty was supposed the man behind him. He was lucky they did not start making the videos before he left.

Something else worried him. Captain Kamal reported saving a man who was nearly killed. The man was Alarama Saheed.
Mufty frowed.
Alarama Saheed!
That was the reciter of the slain Sheikh. Now he could see the picture more vividly. Alaramma Saheed was always with the sheikh anytime he was preaching.
The day he was supposed to kill the sheikh. Alaramma Saheed was there.

It added up. He had seen that face before. That face had been to the camp once even though Jahl tried to hide him.
There was double it was him that killed the Sheikh. He was working with the insurgents.
The attempted murder was a charade. Now the ATOF see him as a victim.

Mufty clenched his fist. Jahl has come into the open and that means the grand plan was in place. The insurgents were infiltrating everywhere.
Alaramma Saheed!

Kamall walked into General Dambutu’s office and saluted.

“Captain.”

“Yes, Sir.”

“I ordered Colonel Mike to replace the men of TRF Troop with immediate effect. I need you to deploy sixty men from your place.”

“Yes, Sir.” Kamal said but wondering at the back of his mind why this sudden change.

The General studied him.

“The replaced soldiers have been arrested and would be tried in the military court. They absconded their duty post by saying they had no weapons. Imagine scoundrels in the name of soldiers. I am sure they will all be sentenced to death.”

“Yes, sir.”

This kept resonating with Kamal. It was true that the insurgents had more sophisticated weapons than the soldiers. Was this a fair judgement?
But he could not say this allowed. He knew the men would be sentenced to death.

Haneefa had been uncomfortable. She was sitting on a chair in Leena’s room.

“When last did you see Adam?” She asked.

Leena raised her face.

“He was here last night and I guess he would be around today. Why?”

“It’s nothing.”

“Talk to me baby.”

Haneefa thought about it. If she hid it from Leena and she found out, it may be misunderstood yet she did not want to reveal such a ridiculous thing.

“I think Adam needs help.” Haneefa said.

“How?”

“You said everything is cool between you guys. He said the same thing but….he has been acting strange these days. I have stopped picking his calls.”

“Why ? I mean how strange has he been acting?”

“He- he is crazy. I never knew he could do such a thing. I always saw him as a trustworthy guy…”

“Please tell me what he did.”

“He has been asking me out. Not just asking me out but…he wants to marry me. He said he loves me. Can you imagine that?”

Leena moved her head back and rested on the bed. She was now facing the ceiling.

“Hmmmm….” She sighed.

“What?”

“I knew this day would come.”

“What day?”

“Okay, Haneefa, let me tell you something. It happened last week……”

1 Like

Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 8:32pm On Oct 11, 2018
On that day, Leena had called Mufty. He asked her to meet him at Maidaribe Junction because he did not like her coming to his place.
She had met him waiting for her. He had produced that smile that lightened her up.
She noticed that he was changing physically. That hard expression was no more even though he seemed a bit nervous when in public.
They had gone to have lunch, and decided to pass some time in a cool spot with beautiful trees and flowers.

“I think I will have to visit Kano one of these days.” He said.

“Why? I hope you are not going away.”

“How could I leave you my love?”

“Then what do you want to do there? I don’t want to go far from me.”

“I have an uncle. They don’t know if I am alive or dead. I need to reconnect with them. There may be need to do that in case I am asked where I come from. Some people have to come to your house.”

“Awwwnn.” She blushed.

“Plus, I want to sell my house. It is not a big house but the land is big. I mean big from a poor man’s perspective. Two plots of land and a small two bedroom bungalow. I may get five out of it because we do not live in a GRA where a plot of land cost about forty million naira.”

“Six million is something.”

He smiled.

“You are being modest. You come from a wealthy home and if it was the guy you were going out with that was going to marry you, that amount would end up in lefe.”

“Shut up. I am no that materialistic. All I want is a decent life full of love, care and peace. I love you and that is what matters.”

“I don’t get it.” he said. “I don’t deserve you. Are you sure this is real?”

“Now you are going back to that self-condemnation of a thing again.”

“I am sorry. I just feel you are something out of a dream: a tantalizer.”

“Leena Idris is live and sitting beside you, Muhammad Manga.”

“God is great.”

“So what is your plan?”

“I want to start an electrical shop. I mean selling of electrical appliances while I also seek for contracts. By contracts , it does not have to big contracts. It could be laying of wires in houses for individuals, fixing of solar panels and inverters. With that, I won’t lack the means of buying bread in the mornings.”

“Yeah and who knows, you may end up not needing a job. If things work out, My father would connect you to contractors or help you with contracts.”

Mufty was lost in reverie. This was what he wanted. A simple decent life with a wife. There was no doubt; Leena was a blessing for him.
She was his dream girl. Nothing compared to Hauwa. Hauwa never had time to plan with him, or advise him. She always impatient and expected him to be ready-made.

“Leena…” He called softly.

“Na’am.”

“I used to think I was strong. I was dauntless and mean. But you made me realise how vulnerable and weak I am. You have the keys and switch to put off…..just leave me and I am off. You are my hope, light, bliss, strength and love. I am scared……”

“You don’t have to be scared. I am here for you. And you don’t know how glad I am to make you feel so. Manga, I think I am more scared of losing you. If I say, it is going to be a smooth ride, I am lying. But I just want you to stand firm, and most importantly , pray about it.”

“Yeah and I always pray….If I am not good for you, May Allah destroy this relationship. Ameen.”

She closed her eyes and pushed back tears. She did not want to part with him. She loved him the way she had never loved any man. This was not by choice. She was not even supposed to fall in love with him.
She felt no woman would understand him like she did. She saw him in his worst, knew his problems and how to treat him.

“Let me get chocolate.” She said. “I will get some for you.”

“I think I will prefer Tom-tom.”

She squeezed her face.

“Are you sick, like you have a cough or….”

“No.” he said and giggled.

“Why should I just start taken Tom-tom when I am not sick?”

“I do enjoy it. The taste is nice.”

“Hmm…me I love sweet things.”

He glanced at her back as she walked away and he quickly took off his eyes. Then he remembered that it was allowed to study the girl you genuinely intend to marry. Then he looked at her again and realised that she more beautiful than he had thought.
Just like Hauwa, she was slim but she had broader hips and more statuesque. Her movement were majestic, with model-like steps that made him swoon.
Why did he feel things were not going to work out? Why was a part of him saying he may not have the dream life? He was not being pessimistic but a chip of reality was pertinent.

She took a bend and went out his view.

That was when Leena saw him standing with his hands in his pocket: Adam!

He looked as if he was going to burst. He handsome face was a mask of horror and it was obvious that he making a big effort to control himself.

“You said you were going to see Rabi’at. I guess the game is up, Leena.”

She felt her as if her heart was going to jump out through her mouth.

“A- Adam.”

“Who is that guy?”

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Last Insurgent by Ayotomiwa29(m): 8:35pm On Oct 11, 2018
More more more more more more more more more more more more more more more pls I am Hungry for more pls na beg I dey beg oooo more!! cry
Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 9:02pm On Oct 11, 2018
EIGHTEEN

“Mufty is alive.” A man said as he stood before Jahl in his new palace. They had relocated and moved the camp to another part of the Kabari forest. This time, the place was more secured.
Some experts were brought in to fix cameras and detectors around the camp.

“What?”

“The attack was not a military attack. We combed the place today Ya Amir. There was no single sign of any military invasion. It was an inside work. The shattered cabin had the dead bodies of the men that were with you, and three other unidentified me.
I suspect they were the men you sent to kill him. There was no body of a woman in there and……Mufty had a secret safe in the room. It was empty.”

“Hmmm….Are you suggesting that he escaped?”

“Yes, and he was the one who detonated the bombs and killed our men. Mufty may be the man in the mask.”

Jahl got on his feet. This was not good!

“I hope he is not going to talk.”

“No. He is as guilty as us.”

“What if they offer him amnesty? What if they strike a deal with him?”

“That is a possibility.”

“We must find him and kill him. Mufty knows too much! Ya Allah, Mufty is your enemy. Show him to us.”

“I am very interested in the girl.”

“Which girl?”

“His wife. I think we should find out more about her. The press have said little or nothing about her. They are hiding her. She may be with him.”

“Why?”

“We saw a lot of drugs on the ground. Mufty never used to consume the retroviral drugs. I think he was not HIV positive. What do you know about him before he saw the light.”

“He is out of the light and don’t connect him with the light again. Mufty is in darkness. It was Alarama Saheed who recommended him. I don’t know much about his past. He is from Kano.”

The man, Aloma, smiled. He was the leader of the intelligence squad. He was a dismissed police detective.

“We must dig into his past. I think he had the girl fell in love and she stuck to him. She came back for him. Let us find her. It may be difficult.”

“Allah will help us.”

“Ameen wa alaikum salam.” Leena said with a shaky voice. She was trying to look calm, but her eyes, shaky lips and fake smile gave her away.

“I did not say the salama, Leena. I asked a question.”

“I did not get the question.”

“You told me that you were going to visit Rabi’at. Now, I followed you and Rabi’at happens to be a guy you met at Maidaribe Junction, and went to have lunch with before coming down here. Maybe I did not hear you properly. Did you say Rabi’at or Rabi’u?”

“Adam…”

“I asked a question.”

“It is not what you think. I actually said Rabi’at but I …..okay, I actually lied to you.”

Adam felt his head ringing. His hands still in his pockets but they trembled in anger.

“Why Leena?”

“I was actually going to meet him.”

“That brings us back to the first question I asked. Who is he?”

“He is a friend.” She said.

“You have such a close friend I never knew about?”

“I never said a close friend.”

“You did not have to say that. It is obvious. You are betrothed and you lie to me to meet him, have lunch with him, and come here to sit down. If there was nothing fishy, why did you have to lie to me?”

“Because you will not understand.”

“No. There is nothing complex to understand here. You have been lying to me.”

“But I did not go to his house to meet him. I met him at an open place and it seems you have been stalking me so that substantiates that we did nothing wrong.”

“Following and not stalking.” He said. “I have the right to do that because I have paid your dowry. I have passed the level of introduction and reached the level of a fixed wedding date. From the moment I sought for your hand formally in marriage, it became disallowed for you to engage in another relationship. Yes, I did not see you guys do anything that is haram, or see you in seclusion but you know it is not right.
You can’t tell me that there is nothing going on between you and that guy. I see how you guys talk, smile and the way you look at him.
I think this explains the root of your newly found tauheed.
I am disappointed in you, Leena. Tell me what I did wrong to deserve this.”

“Absolutely nothing Adam.” She said amid tears. “You don’t deserve this and if there is anyone to be blamed, it is me. but Allah knows I never intended to do this. I will never hurt you on purpose.”

“Who is he?”

She paused, crying and her lips shook.

“Manga.”

“Who is Manga? I mean what is he to you?”

“Adam, I am sorry but I don’t want to hurt you…..”

“Could there be anything worse than what you have done already?”

“Okay, Manga is the guy I- I fell in love with.”

Boom!

Even though he saw it, or suspected it, this confirmation from her broke his heart. He stood still and felt as if the ground was vibrating and about to crack. It seemed he was losing friction.

“That is why you have been acting strangely. But I asked you if you had fallen in love with someone else and yopu lied to me.”

“I could not admit it. I did not want you make a scene. I am sorry Adam. I am such a terrible person.”

“How could you? After everything. Since when has this been going on?”

“We met a few months ago but fell in love not so long ago.”

“Was that when you said you were abducted. Were you even abducted the first time?”

“Adam!”

“Do not Adam me. I don’t know what to believe anymore.”

“Yes, I was abducted and there are proves.”

“So you met him there.”

“No. It was after I escaped.”

“What does he do for a living.”

“Adam you can’t keep asking me questions like that. I said I am sorry.”

“Sorry? Define sorry. Explain what you mean by you are sorry. Sorry for what you did and plan to go ahead and ,marry him? Or sorry for your goof and you are letting him go at this very moment and we forget none of this ever happened?”

She wiped off tears from her eyes.

“I am wrong in every aspect and have no reason to do this to you. If you say I should send him away now, I will do it and get married to you but I want you to know this….I did not plan to date him. I fell in love with him and could not get him out of my mind. I love him Adam but I can send him away if you insist. You have paid the dowry and I promised to marry you.
I know I can’t forget him but I also lied to him. It is not his fault. He asked me if I had a formal knot with you and I said no.”

“You said no?”

“Yes. If I had said yes, he would have gone and I love him Adam. I could not stop loving him. But I pray I forget him. I will go and talk to him right away and never see him again. I am terrible because I am going to hurt him. I should have let him go. Now I am going to destroy him.”

She began to cry.

“Go and talk to him. I am not letting you go!”

“She does not have to come and talk to me.” Mufty said and appeared from a corner. “Peace be upon you. I am Muhammad Manga.”

The two men looked at each other. Leena covered her face in tears.

“Peace be upon you too. I am Adam Abdulsalam.”

There was a three second silence before Mufty said, “ I must apologise for interrupting you. I also apologise for eavesdropping.”

Adam said nothing. He still had his hands in his pocket, and trying to calm down. He could not stop the anger in him as he looked at Mufty. This was the guy who came to put a veil on his bliss. The guy who got into Leena’s head and made her derail. But he would calm down and listen to him. He wondered what he had to say.

“I regret been involved in this saga. Leena is in a hot spot right now. If this story leaks, she would be the one to suffer from blames. She would be seen as a player, toiling with the hearts of two men. She will be called a liar because she lied to you.
You asked her if there was someone else in her life and she said there was no one. I can imagine how disappointed you are right now, how hurtful it is to find out that the girl you have paid her dowry is in a relationship with another man.
I also stand in a position of being called a devil because I fell in love with a girl who has just a few days to stay in her parent’s house. Two muslims cannot court a girl at the same time. You have formalised the relationship so I am the wrong guy here.
Please forgive me. She told me she had someone in her life. Having someone in her life did not stop me. I asked if there was any formal arrangement. That is what can stop me. She said there was no one.
She made a great mistake here. She is wrong but I still do not see her as a player or a girl just toiling with our hearts.
She lied to you because she could not tell you. You have a history and she never said a single thing wrong about you.
She did not know how you would react if she had told you.
I am not justifying her actions. I am only trying to see things from her angle of view. We are not impeccable but we do bad things for various reasons. Hers was not with a bad intention irrespective of the consequences.
She lied to me because she knew I was going to leave immediately. I have made a lot of goofs in my life. I will never go close to a girl who has been betrothed to another man no matter how I love her.
Leena is a girl with heart and soul. A mere mortal who is prone to goof. I can imagine how confused and uncomfortable she must have been.
Please don’t judge her. I don’t know and I am not a clairvoyant but from what I see of you, you are a nice guy. From what I heard from you, you do not deserve to get hurt.
I placed myself in your shoes. How will I feel if a girl whom I am supposed to get married to gets abducted just three weeks to our wedding, comes back and another date is fixed only for me to find out that she is seeing someone else?
The pain is unimaginable. I do not wish this for myself and would never wish it for anyone. Firstly, I need you to forgive her and never hold this against her. Secondly, I need you to forgive me for coming into the picture. Thirdly, I implore with gusto, for the sake of Allah to keep this as a secret.
If I say I do not feel anything for her, I am a liar but if I really like her, then I should set her onto the right part. That calls for the word sacrifice. I have to suppress my feelings, wishes and wants for the right thing.
The right thing here is to keep to her promise. Like I said in retrospect, I don’t know you but I feel you will never hurt her. I feel you will give her all the love and joy she needs.
That is my consolation. I just want her to be happy and be with the right person. I want you to take this event as just a hitch to a better life with her. I promise you that neither you nor she will ever see me again.
I will be just a part of history, a mistake and forgotten issue…..” He turned at Leena. “This is your man. I may not be privileged to attend the wedding, or know what happens after the wedding but I have this to say to you: never let him feel bad. Get married to him and fulfil all of your duties. This world is just a small temporary home. Besides, it will all come to pass.”

Amid tears, she nodded.

Mufty smiled, moved forward and offered a handshake to Adam.

They shook hands.

“Thank you very much.” Adam said. “You have said things that got me weakened. You just calmed me down and I must say you are a rare guy. I promise to keep this to myself till I die and I will not hold it against her.”

“You just made my century. May Allah bless the union, give you blessed offspring and make her your wife both here and hereafter.”

“Amen.”

“I think I will have to take my leave. This is her phone, she left it with me.”

Without another word, he turned and left.

Adam looked at Leena. She wiped off tears off her face.

“Please forgive me.”

Adam smiled.

“It is over my dear. Do you still want to marry me?”

She nodded.

“Yes.”

“Thank God.”

“Please I need something from you.”

“What?”

“I did not say goodbye to him neither did he say goodbye to me. For the last time, just let me see him go…”

“You want to talk to him?”

“No.” She shook her head. “I don’t want to talk to him. I just want to see him one more time and I promise you will never hear anything about him again. That is the last request I need from you about this. It is over between him and me.”

He shrugged.

“Okay.”

She walked to the edge of the building close to them and peeped.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Last Insurgent by Ayotomiwa29(m): 9:17pm On Oct 11, 2018
grin grin AMAZED AND SPEECHLESS.... (thank you sokodobo..damn!! This is amazingly and astonishingly AMAZING!!!!!! grin grin shocked shocked
Re: The Last Insurgent by MhizFavour: 9:22pm On Oct 11, 2018
This one Leena is at the edge of the building i hope she is not contemplating suicide?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Suave Man In Lagos Drives A Range Rover But Is Penniless- Chimamanda Adichie / MI's Touching Piece for Murdered UNIPORT Students / WEB...Travails of a detective.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.