Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,116 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:49 PM

Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality (19887 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by Zoroaster: 10:38pm On Sep 25, 2018
Lol.. She cited the Bible?.. Laughable

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by pocohantas(f): 10:43pm On Sep 25, 2018
alBHAGDADI:

Ephesians 5:22-33 (KJV)

22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

Wives are to submit and Husbands are to love. That is what Jesus passed on to his disciples which Satan is trying to change today.

So, I don't need to love my husband?
I should just SUBMIT? I like this interpretation of the bible o

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by omoplaycool(m): 10:47pm On Sep 25, 2018
Womenrep:

Share your e-mail address. Unfortunately I can't PM you here, I don't remember the email password I registered with.
Stonemerabia@yahoo.com
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by omoplaycool(m): 10:48pm On Sep 25, 2018
Womenrep:

Share your e-mail address. Unfortunately I can't PM you here, I don't remember the email password I registered with.
Stonemerabia@yahoo.com
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by danilmo: 10:56pm On Sep 25, 2018
rock003:
I will believe this gender equality nonsense when a woman starts impregnating another woman; when there is nothing like male/ female categories in sports, but a team is composed of male and female team members; when there is no male/female categories in weightlifting; when fighting a woman is seen as ordinary as when you fight with your fellow men....

that 'wowo' girl is coming for u..

not referring to kimbraa o,
I mean the second popular e-warrior
cheesy
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by Ejiod(m): 10:57pm On Sep 25, 2018
I guess Chimamanda doesn't understand what nature is. It has been programmed. If u look deep in Chemistry u discover metal comes first b4 non metal. A classical example that anyone can see is Sodium chloride (NaCl). U can't write it as ClNa,...Metals donates electrons while non metal receives. In periodic table u see metal arranged first from group 1-3, while non metals from group 4-6... Only science inclined would know better.Its natural that men comes first cos that's how nature configured it. Her feminism should be viewed from the lens of human right activism.

8 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by cooltola(m): 11:02pm On Sep 25, 2018
This Chimamanda lady thinks Nigeria is USA where a woman can kick a man out for their house for an argument. Someone should tell her that na Africa we dey, no the west.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by musicwriter(m): 11:08pm On Sep 25, 2018
While the mythical Jesus was of that view but it was the Europeans that brought you Christianity that brought with it the persecution of women in Africa once Christianity replaced our African view about women.

In 326 AD or thereabout, Emperor Constantine, killed his wife few months after making Christianity the legal religion of Rome. He killed her by boiling her in a hot drum of water.

By 1504, there was already a Queen Idia, a ruler of the Benin kingdom.

In 1580's, queen Nzinga was already a woman ruler in Angola.

There was another queen in Yorubaland, I forgot her name. So, please stop telling me about how an alien Jesus is the yardstick for us to respect women in Africa. We already respected women in Africa when we knew no Jesus!!.

The alien imports was later to destroy the fabrics of African societies, so stop talking about christianity, instead, tell us how to get rid of it and reconstruct the African society back to where women will be respected.

Every woman should be filled with shame by the thought that she is a woman......... Saint' clement of Alexandria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by deleo16(m): 11:10pm On Sep 25, 2018
alBHAGDADI:

You and Chimamanda should keep shut.

Jesus Christ said wives should be submissive to their husband because he is the head of the wife. Feminism kicks against that.

23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

Wives are to submit and Husbands are to love. That is what Jesus passed on to his disciples which Satan is trying to change today.

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by Mariangeles(f): 11:13pm On Sep 25, 2018
[s]
CAPSLOCKED:
THE BIBLE SHOULD BE BEYOND THE LAST THING TO MAKE REFERENCE TO WHEN TALKING ABOUT GENDER EQUALITY.
ALL THAT NON-VIRGIN BRIDE KILLINGS AND YOUNG WOMEN TRADING LIKE GOODS IS NOT OUT OF CONTEXT.

OH, JESUS CARED SO MUCH ABOUT WOMEN THAT HE MADE HIS DISCIPLES 12 MEN?
GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. .
[/s] You don't know and can never truly know anything about our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, unless by unction of Holy Spirit which I doubt lives in you

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by XaviDayo(m): 11:20pm On Sep 25, 2018
Chima. .. we don gree. We and Una na equal. Se you can now rest . Oponu.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by DavidEsq(m): 11:40pm On Sep 25, 2018
I guess she forgot 1 Corinthians 11:4 which says: "But I want you to know that the head of every man is the Christ; in turn, the head of a woman is the man; in turn, the head of the Christ is God".
Ppl who have no idea of what the bible really teaches shld not act like they know it all and end up making a fool of themselves. I salute the ekpa wey dey above the guy wey dey above me.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by vindisick: 11:45pm On Sep 25, 2018
This woman like holding her feminist conferences abroad. Let her pick a university notably in the south of Nigeria and hold this her so called feminist agenda backed up with the "New Testament". She will be schooled properly.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by vindisick: 11:49pm On Sep 25, 2018
PRESENTATION:

Buhari grin grin
Bush man
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by Amberon1: 11:51pm On Sep 25, 2018
Lmao.....
Xisnin:
Smart woman.
Waiting for Nepa bill holders to come tell us how much they hate feminists.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by SocialJustice: 11:52pm On Sep 25, 2018
alBHAGDADI:

I don't like attributing enlightenment to Satan as it has done more good than evil even though it can be blamed directly for feminism.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by Amberon1: 11:54pm On Sep 25, 2018
You have so much sense. A very rare commodity on NL.
Xisnin:

Who wanted to crucify only the woman?
Hypocritical priests or God?

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by Gkemz: 11:55pm On Sep 25, 2018
This lady has come again with her gender battle.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by Xavier5(m): 11:55pm On Sep 25, 2018
She is right and I support her 100%, the Bible as a whole supports the equality of both sexes. The only scenario where men are made head over the women is in marriage. Secularly, they are equal.

When we talk about Equality of Male and Females we aren't talking about it literarily. Literarily, Male and females can never be equal. They were created, wired and programmed differently. They aren't the same morphologically, physiologically, anatomically, physically, behaviorally and attitudally. So they can't be the same because if things are said to be equal that means they are the same in all ramifications.
When we talk about Equality, we are talking about rights and privileges of both sexes. If one sex enjoys certain privileges or rights, then the other sex have every right to enjoy it also.

I will soon create a thread on the topic of FEMINISM, THE BIBLE AND SUBMISSION to elaborate more on this issue and clear the misunderstanding on it.

#Xavier.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by vindisick: 12:04am On Sep 26, 2018
Lilisticlili:
interesting! So wives should submit......and the husband shoudnt submit too? But authoritatively holding on to his order's without an input from the wife?

Which love are you even talking about too when the husband does not submit to the wive too for love sake.

One thing is to read the bible and another to understand.

That which you read there is not his words. It's the word of God. The truth
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by Unlimited22: 12:06am On Sep 26, 2018
Womenrep:
What a coincidence reading this just after completing my paper on Feminism and Religion.
I am so clueless on where to have it published.

Perhaps we should all look at feminism in a positive angle, the fight for equality.
Feminism is a movement and not a fight against men.

I encourage women to actively participate in politics and governance.
I'm sorry to say that in Nigeria, it IS a fight against men.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by EgusiShankly: 12:18am On Sep 26, 2018
femi4:
Who asked you about the last time you saw Bible. Focus on the topic and keep your belief/unbelief to yourself
i just tire
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by oruma19: 12:19am On Sep 26, 2018
alBHAGDADI:

Jesus Christ said wives should be submissive to their husband because he is the head of the wife. Feminism kicks against that.

23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

was it Jesus that said this? Pls say what u know. U are part of the christianity problem we have in africa just now. Saint paul is now Jesus abi?

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by Theflint1(m): 12:23am On Sep 26, 2018
pocohantas:
Religion and common sense do not mix.

I can't remember the last time I saw a bible. Seeing all those verses on the first page gave me headache...

saying women are inferior to men, because they don't have same physical strength. Is akin to saying the white race is superior to the black race because they have more mental strength. After all, the white man produced almost every gadamn thing blacks use.

If you don't agree to the later, but you agree to the former, you are either a hypocrite or a stupid goat.

grin grin grin
So you're saying both scenarios in a perfectly controlled setup would produce same result on the average?
grin grin grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by lexy2014: 12:25am On Sep 26, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:
THE BIBLE SHOULD BE BEYOND THE LAST THING TO MAKE REFERENCE TO WHEN TALKING ABOUT GENDER EQUALITY.
ALL THAT NON-VIRGIN BRIDE KILLINGS AND YOUNG WOMEN TRADING LIKE GOODS IS NOT OUT OF CONTEXT.

OH, JESUS CARED SO MUCH ABOUT WOMEN THAT HE MADE HIS DISCIPLES 12 MEN?
GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. .
my brother u just summarized everything with ur last statement. ChimaMANda should just face her novels I beg. She trying 2 hard 2b everything without knowledge
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by lexy2014: 12:27am On Sep 26, 2018
Womenrep:
What a coincidence reading this just after completing my paper on Feminism and Religion.
I am so clueless on where to have it published.

Perhaps we should all look at feminism in a positive angle, the fight for equality.
Feminism is a movement and not a fight against men.

I encourage women to actively participate in politics and governance.
then u don't no feminism
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:28am On Sep 26, 2018
Lilisticlili:
interesting! So wives should submit......and the husband shoudnt submit too? But authoritatively holding on to his order's without an input from the wife?

Which love are you even talking about too when the husband does not submit to the wive too for love sake.

Why should husband submit to the wife when she is under his authority? Does your boss submit to you even though you submit to him/her?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by lexy2014: 12:31am On Sep 26, 2018
Lilisticlili:

is that what u read in Ephesians 5? D Bible is explicit on d subject but u choose not 2 understand
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by lexy2014: 12:35am On Sep 26, 2018
Xavier5:
She is right and I support her 100%, the Bible as a whole supports the equality of both sexes. The only scenario where men are made head over the women is in marriage. Secularly, they are equal.

When we talk about Equality of Male and Females we aren't talking about it literarily. Literarily, Male and females can never be equal. They were created, wired and programmed differently. They aren't the same morphologically, physiologically, anatomically, physically, behaviorally and attitudally. So they can't be the same because if things are said to be equal that means they are the same in all ramifications.
When we talk about Equality, we are talking about rights and privileges of both sexes. If one sex enjoys certain privileges or rights, then the other sex have every right to enjoy it also.

I will soon create a thread on the topic of FEMINISM, THE BIBLE AND SUBMISSION to elaborate more on this issue and clear the misunderstanding on it.

#Xavier.
she got it very wrong with her Jesus and women sermon.

In what areas in Nigeria do we have scenarios were one sex is enjoying a privilege and d other isn't?

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by lexy2014: 12:38am On Sep 26, 2018
OkaNaUbe:
You have started... You have a husband you cook for, respect, a child yet you are deceiving gullible girls and women alike.

I think she is using this 'feminism-ish' to remain relevant internationally.

What has feminism got to do with Mary and Magdalene?
I tire oh. They were d ones that went 2d graves themselves out of their freewill. It wasn't Jesus making. Its only a reflection of d fact that women are more receptive when it comes to religion. It has nothing to do with feminism. If Jesus was such a feminist, y did he choose 12 male disciples?

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by Nobody: 12:39am On Sep 26, 2018
WotzupNG:
During a press conference yesterday, award winning author Chimamanda Adichie spoke on religion and how it relates to feminism.

She spoke on how people often use the Bible wrongly to justify their stance against feminism. According to her, Jesus Christ treated women like his equals and were the once that first saw him when he resurrected.

The audience responds:

Chimamanda continues:

https://www.wotzup.ng/2018/09/chimamanda-jesus-symbol-gender-equality/

Am starting to dislike this woman. Every opportunity she's had to say something, she's always come up with Bullshiit.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality by lexy2014: 12:42am On Sep 26, 2018
Ejiod:
I guess Chimamanda doesn't understand what nature is. It has been programmed. If u look deep in Chemistry u discover metal comes first b4 non metal. A classical example that anyone can see is Sodium chloride (NaCl). U can't write it as ClNa,...Metals donates electrons while non metal receives. In periodic table u see metal arranged first from group 1-3, while non metals from group 4-6... Only science inclined would know better.Its natural that men comes first cos that's how nature configured it. Her feminism should be viewed from the lens of human right activism.
ur last statement is spot on

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

LOVE ME AGAIN. By: Loudest Thoughts / Get Paid: Submiting Your Manuscript To Nigerian Publisher Nationwide / Chinua Achebe's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.