Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:12 AM

Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature (10256 Views)

For Sale:::::::::: Genuine Property @ Peace Court Estate Lekki Check Details.... / 10 Acres Of Land For Sale @ Lekki Check Details In. / 9 Bedroom Duplex In Lekki - Check It Out ( Pix On Request) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by capsogiga(m): 9:15am On Jul 08, 2010
He lived in Lekki amongst the "Big boys" and he pays so much. If you hear the amount he pays as rent, you will not believe that ordinary rainfall will cause him this pain even with the money he pays as rent. Who is to be blamed?

Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by Damysa(f): 9:48am On Jul 08, 2010
Goooooossssh this is serious, even inspite of this u can still imagine the influx of people towards that area.
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by Kx: 9:53am On Jul 08, 2010
Flood,not to mention traffic.
Opj even jokes that lekki is a government approved/recognised traffic area.
Some people are suffering in silence
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by candylips(m): 10:25am On Jul 08, 2010
lekki bad o
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by zap2(m): 10:48am On Jul 08, 2010
DAAAMMMMNNNN! shocked
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by babaeko1: 10:49am On Jul 08, 2010
Damn, this is bad. do you know which area this is at ? I guess the reason why people like myself like Lekki is that, its still one of the few places left in Lagos where one can get affordable land and yet close to whats happening on the Island.
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by Natudu: 10:53am On Jul 08, 2010
Oooosh! What a shame and loss! Now, going by the fact that Naija no dey do property insurance, na who go pay for this loss now?
I am thinking: is this really an ''act of God''? Looks like an ''act of man'' to me!

One money bag can buy a plot, build it and rent it in just one dry season and the tenant will get the bad news in the rainy season!

Just too bad.

1 Like

Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by bisiaet: 10:59am On Jul 08, 2010
Oooooosh! this is serious damage. Something serious need to be look at before erecting a house in that area because it does not worth it spending so much on House and no rest of mind especially when it rain I sympatise with te owner of this property.
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by oderemo(m): 12:39pm On Jul 08, 2010
this is the beginning.
lekki phase[list]
[li]ing [/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]water
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by johnie: 2:40pm On Jul 08, 2010
Where in Lekki is this?
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by james1(m): 2:59pm On Jul 08, 2010
@poster.of course,goverment is to be blamed,not nature.reason?when developing new towns as the new towns authourity represents:ever before people come to take up residencies;roads,drainages and canals must have been constructed.what you see now is the consequency of not doing that.so don't blame property owners there,they duly bought their land,built within stipulated guidelines and pay their yearly tenement levies to the state goverment.they did block any gutters with their houses.
Right now,what must be done.massive deflooding campaigns;widing existing gutters,creating a canal or building more.
Am happy to tell you that most parts of phase 1 don't flood.the area prone to flooding apart from bad roads is the first turning to your right when one enters phase 1 from the main gate.when I remember the name,I will post it.
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by duno: 3:22pm On Jul 08, 2010
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked chineke!
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by babaeko1: 3:28pm On Jul 08, 2010
thanks James.
how about places like Okun Ajah and Sangotedo etc ?
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by Ekamas: 3:57pm On Jul 08, 2010
I do not know y u guys ar cryn ova spilt milk,is it a must 4 u 2 live in LEKKI in oda 2 show your BIGS BOIZ STATUS?Ar there no choice & posh areas as resisdential areas 4 one 2 inhabitate in?look seriously, no body shud blame d govt 4 ath at all wotsoeva,
nature will always rake back wot belongs 2 it no mata ow we build wot we build nature will always claim its own(wot belongs 2 it)wondering where i learnt dis 4rm-in skol wen i did a course in GNS-i had d shocking revelation of my life-& basically i tink dt side of d area is facing d much dreaded & talked abt ATLANTIC OCEAN.sorry 4 d person involved in dis type of tragedy cos it is not funny at all.But i or he can as well v a water baptism right in his house 4 it will b easy 4 him esp if he has neve had neve been baptised b4.
WHOEVA U AR DT MENTIONED GOD DO NOT BRING GOD INTO DIS AT ALL 4 HE GOD HAS BLESSED US WT WISDOM 2 B WISE AS SERPENT BUT AT D SAME TYME HARMLESS AS DOVES. SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOOORRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYY-OOOOH. PLS CAN A LOVING PERSON OUT THERE TEACH A FELLOW SISTER OW 2 USE DOSE FUNNY GREEN FACES 4 I V BEEN TRYING OW 2 USE IT BUT DO NOT KNOW OW,CAN S.BODY PLS TEACH ME ON OW 2 GO ABT IT?TANKS & GOD BLESS,PLS IT IS VERY URGENT DT I KNOW OW 2 .
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by oderemo(m): 4:33pm On Jul 08, 2010
@ekema,
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin tongue
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jul 08, 2010
This isnt a result of location: But simply put: poor planning.

The house is probably built with low DPC (Damp Proof Course). Which is why so much water got it.

Secondly, most of the streets in Ajah, and Lekki are yet to have good drainage systems such as canal, gutters, etc, its still a fresh virgin locale.

And thirdly, the engineer and the owner obviously didnt know this is what they would be dealing with and didnt look for a way to maneuver unneeded water out of the compound. All this is easy, if properly planned for.
The Chinese are building a multi-billion dollars refinery around Lekki. If nature cant be tamed, those guys wont chose Lekki as their location.
Suggestion for all: dont economize when building close to the sea or water lodged. It could render your project useless, such as this one.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by Fhemmmy: 5:23pm On Jul 08, 2010
I am sure there are better places in Lekki, is this a recent event?
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by johnie: 6:21pm On Jul 08, 2010
Poster is yet to tell us where exactly in Lekki this happened angry
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by lawyer(m): 8:45pm On Jul 08, 2010
This is strictly poor proper planning when building a house and secondly, i can bet my last dollar that this house was bought from one of those swampy water logged areas that agents advertise in Lekki and people rush to spend over N10Million to N100Million buying just because it has been designated as a prime location. After spending that much buying a swampy water logged land, they now skimp and become stingy in paying a huge sum to sand fill and not put proper reinforcements i.e raft foundation to build the house and when situations like this arise, people begin to complain that Lekki is not a good place because of flooding and the likes.

I am sure the immediate neighbour of this fella's house is not flooded. Its just bad planning. From V.I down to Epe, anybody erecting a structure must spend that extra sum to build a solid raft foundation unless it will suffer from re-occurring floods like this. And am so sure if they check the approved building plan very well, its totally different from what the owner of the house claimed to construct here. We all know that the Island is prone to flooding due to the proximity of the beach but this house is just 1 in a million unless all the houses from Lekki phase 1 down to Lakowe will be experiencing this same thing and nobody will be living there.

Just bad planning and stinginess when it comes to spending money to do the right thing at the right time.

P:S: Just my 2 cents. I rarely advise anybody to buy a water logged land. The money to be spent on sandfilling and raft foundation can run you mad and in the process of trying to manage the budget, you might end up sacrificing materials and professionalism by short changing the sand filling process or the strong raft foundation construction and there is no way in future you wont experience this.

Buyers please beware and always seek professional advise before you buy a land especially in Lekki/Ajah

Cheers!
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jul 08, 2010
There's nothing like man versus nature, this requires just common sence.

Anyone experienced in building in lekki can easily avoid this.

THE SECRET;
All water from the island drains to the lagoon. So common sence shld tell any1 that your site level must be slightly higher than the logoon water level.

THE BIG QUESTION; But my site level was higher than the natural sea level
Yea, thats in the dry season, provision must be made for increase in water level when the rains come.

REMEDY;
- Sandfill far above the natural water level
- sandfill above any proposed road level within ur vicinity
- raise your foundation far above your sandfill level
- Do not start your raft before sandfilling
- Always create a temporary buffer collector zone btw your plot and your access road (if the govt is yet to do this in ur area). Trust me, ur neighbours will all follow suite and before u knw it, u av provided infrastructure for urselfs
- Ur site gradient must always be sloppy to the front
- Avoid the use of double or divergent slopes (it will never work in lekki)
- Ur fence/gate is as important as your building (always use a cellular raft)
If you follow these rules, ur never going to experience flood even if the entire lekki is flooded.

DAMAGE CONTROL;
If your have already built and you're experiencing this problem, there is a permanent solution. But it will cost some you quite some kobo(s)

Cheers!
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by oluwabamis(m): 5:17pm On Jul 09, 2010
Let the guy start fish farming in his house to recoup some of his loss. Thats a bad joke, so sorry!!. But I think any wise teneant should get his house during the raining season. Its a pity
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by beninman1(m): 9:01am On Jul 10, 2010
aasog:

This isnt a result of location: But simply put: poor planning.

The house is probably built with low DPC (Damp Proof Course). Which is why so much water got it.

Secondly, most of the streets in Ajah, and Lekki are yet to have good drainage systems such as canal, gutters, etc, its still a fresh virgin locale.

And thirdly, the engineer and the owner obviously didnt know this is what they would be dealing with and didnt look for a way to maneuver unneeded water out of the compound. All this is easy, if properly planned for.
The Chinese are building a multi-billion dollars refinery around Lekki. If nature cant be tamed, those guys wont chose Lekki as their location.
Suggestion for all: dont economize when building close to the sea or water lodged. It could render your project useless, such as this one.

I completely agree with this comment. The DPC is very low hence why it is flooded. It is the consequence of porr planning
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by expert1(m): 1:26pm On Jul 11, 2010
Guy we are not fools in here. The timing on your Pictures are edited if not on Corel Draw then on Adobe.

What made them blurred while the pics are sharp?

Where in Lekki is this?

Taking the first shot from the gate side, how do you manage to get to the room with another shot in just a minute in this river niger?

Your post is cool/warning STILL we are not FOOLS in here.
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jul 12, 2010
men i can not believe wht am seeing shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by GoldCircle: 2:00pm On Jul 12, 2010
Wow! shocked shocked what a pity!
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by beknown(m): 2:36pm On Jul 12, 2010
@Poster,

This is a fight between Man and Nature. Sure, Man cannot win in this.

I was looking at properties at Lekki a few days ago. I survived the flood and huge water by using 4x4. Some properties are totally cut off as the flood have overtaken many properties.

Don't buy properties/land in Lekki without checking water in the land and the area first. A word is enough for the wise.

People should be aware of the danger of building under water - even if sand filling the house is working, the road in the area may not be free from huge water. Or are people sand filling the roads too? At what cost? Is it worth the headache?

From my little experience, sand filling the road is not a permanent solution. When the rain falls, the flood returns.
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by capsogiga(m): 6:22pm On Jul 12, 2010
expert1:

Guy we are not fools in here. The timing on your Pictures are edited if not on Corel Draw then on Adobe.

What made them blurred while the pics are sharp?

Where in Lekki is this?

Taking the first shot from the gate side, how do you manage to get to the room with another shot in just a minute in this river niger?

Your post is cool/warning STILL we are not FOOLS in here.
@EXPERT1. I SINCERELY DONT KNOW IF THE PICTURES ARE EDITED OR FAKE AS U SAID. A FRIEND SENT THEM TO MY E-MAIL AND I DECIDED TO SHARE THEM ON NAIRALAND. HERE ARE MORE PICS.EXPERT IN PHOTOGRAPHY SHOULD HELP DECIDE WHETHER THEY WERE EDITED. I ASKED THE GUY THAT SENT THEM TO ME WHERE IN LEKKI THIS IS AND HE SAID HE DOES NOT KNOW.

CHEERS.

Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by beninman1(m): 7:26pm On Jul 12, 2010
Well, as it stands no one can ascertain for definite if this is Lekki or not.
Hence i suggest we stop running the place down cos we do not have irrefutable evidence to back up these pics.
For all i know, this may well be Benin city, the town of my birth (no joke) cos flood can happen anywhere if there is an absence of good
physical planning.
A friend of mine lives off Uselu-Lagos Road in Benin back in the days and his home is prone to constant flooding cos of absence of good drainage .
My point is - flood can happen anywhere. Let's us stop bashing Lekki non stop.
I agree with expert with rgds to his suspicion on the time stamp on pics. It doesn't stack up.
I wouldnt be surprised if it comes to light that these picture email has been in circulation for sometime
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by candylips(m): 9:35am On Jul 13, 2010
lol photoshop
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by Nobody: 10:06am On Jul 13, 2010
I have Land at Diamond Estate Phase 1 Opposite Deeper Life Camp. N1.2m inclusive of Agency and Agreement Plus Survey Plan

Size: 648 Square Meter.

Already Allocated. You can buy now and build now

Telephone Number: 01-8123553, 07039806000
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by beninman1(m): 12:47pm On Jul 13, 2010
Pls where is Diamond estate. Not sure where Deeper life is.
Any other landmark? or nearly estate that can help
Re: Still Thinking Of Living At Lekki? Check Out Photos. Man Vs Nature by obojo(m): 1:22pm On Jul 13, 2010
this doesnt have anything to do with lekki,  this is as a result of the builders cost cutting measures,  it can happen anywhere,

these are just one of the many pictures circulating the net with no background story. that can as well be vgc, ikorodu , victoria island,  ogba, gbagada,  it might not even be Lagos,
the people circulating these pictures trying to run the image of lekki down are clearly the same people that cannot afford to reside there.
I have lived in lekki for 10yrs,  i haven't had so much as a puddle in my compound,    Not every modern looking house is situated in lekki. and lekki itself consists of so many different areas,  lekki phase i is just after the palms , phase 2 is after ajah. you can keep driving for one hour and still be in lekki

The one that happened in akoka was even worse,  the water level was as high as the bonnets of the cars parked in the compound. it damaged over 4 cars parked in the compound. does it mean people shouldnt live in akoka again?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Achitect Needed To Draw Building Plan / Pop Design. / Connect with Us To Sell Your Properties 10X Faster Nationwide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.